ADVERTISEMENT

Dipped to #30 RPI with loss today

kraft cheese+macaroni

Hall of Famer
Jul 21, 2010
I'll feel better with a win tomorrow, but I think we're in regardless.

Not an egregious loss today. Two pretty bad calls by umps, one that directly cost us a run. But blowing a 4-1 lead kind of sucks, especially when the winning run is scored when you've got the batter 0-2 and leave it where he can hit it on the next pitch.

Reactions: mazz and jmbennett

Not an egregious loss today. Two pretty bad calls by umps, one that directly cost us a run. But blowing a 4-1 lead kind of sucks, especially when the winning run is scored when you've got the batter 0-2 and leave it where he can hit it on the next pitch.

Definitely need a win tomorrow. That
Would look bad going 0-2 at home. A loss would probably bump us out of Louisville or Lexington

Not sure the failure to tag up was a bad call - our runner put the ump in a position where he had to make a call. He should have waited a split second longer and eliminated any question. The play was not going to be close at home plate.

Definitely need a win tomorrow - going 0-2 could be costly!

Not sure the failure to tag up was a bad call - our runner put the ump in a position where he had to make a call. He should have waited a split second longer and eliminated any question. The play was not going to be close at home plate.

His upper body lunged forward....his foot was on the bag. the play ENDED UP not being close, but it was a pretty shallow fly ball and I think he knew he was going to have to hustle to get there. I wasn't even sure they'd send him.

Dude, it was a terrible call. In the end though, you just can't blow a three run lead like that.

Dude, it was a terrible call. In the end though, you just can't blow a three run lead like that.
Were you at the game? If so were you sitting behind 3rd base? I wasn't and the replay showed he was already moving before the ball was caught. The angle did not show decisively, but the 3rd basemen immediately started signalying to the pitcher to give him the ball. I also did not see the 3rd base coach argue. And Lemonis talked about how he disagreed with the call, but mostly stated that the play wasn't even closed at home plate. I took that to mean he thought the call should't have been made since leaving early didn't affect the outcome.

The unfortunate part was the play wasn't even close.

Now I'm even more angry as we could have been playing Northwestern.
That cuts both ways. By playing Michigan we bolster our RPI vs. playing NW hurts RPI regardless. NW is certainly easier matchup but a win over Michigan far more valuable for resume and we are ensured last at bat as oppose to a coin toss with NW.

Reactions: jmbennett
And Michigan held back there Friday guy. We did beat him 1-0 last time but after that lead off homer not much else .

I think that had more to do with our issues with offense on Friday than them. That starter Oliver Jaskie has a 3.36 ERA which is not outstanding but solid so he is not unhittable by any means.

Remember we were awful against the Minny guy first time and although we lost were better yesterday. Hopefully the fact that our offense picks up in second games of series and we have seen they guy will help a lot.

Idk.....i just don't see how we are in after coming in 6th in the conference, and then go 2 and out in the tournament. I think the only way that would happen is if they take at least 5 big ten teams. Maybe our RPI will save us, but not if it drops too much more. We will see, I guess. But the way we are playing, even if we make it in - we will probably be 2 and out wherever we land in the NCAA's.

Idk.....i just don't see how we are in after coming in 6th in the conference, and then go 2 and out in the tournament. I think the only way that would happen is if they take at least 5 big ten teams. Maybe our RPI will save us, but not if it drops too much more. We will see, I guess. But the way we are playing, even if we make it in - we will probably be 2 and out wherever we land in the NCAA's.

You mean like in 2015 when we finished 6th in conference and had basically the same record and an 35 RPI an NPI of 59 and an SOS of 22 and got in. This year we have an RPI of 30 an SOS of 11 and an NPI of 40 so our resume is actually better. And we only need them to take 4 teams if Michigan, Maryland or Nebraska wins the tourney as no one else has an RPI that will remotely come close to getting them in. Not saying its a 100% lock but I have to think our chances are very high regardless of today. We would do slightly worse in conference tourney but we also have a better Big Ten record (14-9 vs 12-10) that should off set that.

You mean like in 2015 when we finished 6th in conference and had basically the same record and an 35 RPI an NPI of 59 and an SOS of 22 and got in. This year we have an RPI of 30 an SOS of 11 and an NPI of 40 so our resume is actually better. And we only need them to take 4 teams if Michigan, Maryland or Nebraska wins the tourney as no one else has an RPI that will remotely come close to getting them in. Not saying its a 100% lock but I have to think our chances are very high regardless of today. We would do slightly worse in conference tourney but we also have a better Big Ten record (14-9 vs 12-10) that should off set that.
Yeah, hope you're right. And I probably said the same thing in 2015, not thinking we would get in. This sure would be a crappy way to end the season, going 2 and out in the conference tourney that we host, and then not make the NCAA.

I doubt we will go very far, but we are absolutely in the NCAA tournament. Let me rephrase that, nothing is guaranteed, but we are about as close as it gets. I really wouldn't worry about that. We finished like two games out of first in the loss column.

Also, did anyone really expect this team to make a deep run into the NCAA tourney? The lack of pitching depth has been an issue all year.

Conference finish means nothing due to unbalanced schedules. This isn't basketball, baseball is totally different. IU's conference schedule was much tougher than many above them in the standings and they won their last 6 series.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT