ADVERTISEMENT

Northwestern@IU, Game 3: IU loses the game 13-6 and the series as they bleed two-out runs today...

ptrich

Hall of Famer
Gold Member
Nov 2, 2001
This game is on BTN. After a smooth 1st inning, Nathan Stahl got the first batter in the 2nd, but then lost complete control where he threw 12 of 13 pitches for balls to load the bases with one out. Mercer went to the bullpen to bring in Ryan Kraft who got the 2nd out on a K, but then gave up a GS homer to put IU in an early 4-0 hole. IU leads the B1G in walks by a wide margin. IU has one hit on the game and that was a single in the 1st. The bullpen is going to have to get us through this game.

In IU's 2nd, IU got off to a good start with a walk to Pyne and then an RBI double by Tibbetts as IU cuts into the lead at 4-1. This is the first run scored on a starting pitcher for NU this weekend. A walk to Mathison put runners on 1st and 2nd with no outs. After a flyout, Mathison got himself picked off 1st for the 2nd out. When you get yourself down 4-0 you can't afford to get yourself picked off of 1st. After the pickoff, Murrison walked to put runners on 1st and 2nd with two outs. A ground out ended the inning.

In the 3rd, it was a smooth inning for Kraft as he put them down in order.

In IU's 3rd, a two-out solo homer crushed by Ellis cuts into the lead some more at 4-2. This was Ellis' 12th homer of the season to lead the B1G. A walk to Pyne puts a man on with two outs and the NU pitcher is up to a 60 PC. Tibbetts struck out looking to end the inning.

In the 4th, Kraft gets the 1st out on a ground out, but then hit a batter to put a man on with one out. IU hit five batters yesterday. Kraft gets the next man on a K for two outs. Kraft then hits his 2nd batter of the inning to put runners on 1st and 2nd with two outs. A walk loaded the bases with two outs. Kraft then hit his third batter of the inning to bring in a run to make it 5-2. Mercer goes to the bullpen again to bring in Braydon Tucker. Four of the Wildcats five runs have been gift runs as they come from men on base because of walks and hit batters. Tucker gets the 3rd out on a K.

In IU's 4th, after two outs, IU got back-to-back singles by Murrison and Doanes which chased the NU starter. NU brought in RHP Jack Sauser who has pitched just one inning on the season so far. A walk to Glasser loads the bases with two outs. Whalen then flied out to end the inning. At least we are into the NU bullpen where we have had good success.

In the 5th, after two outs and a man on, another single put runners on on 1st and 2nd. A bloop double down the left field line that no one could get to, scored two more runs to make it 7-2, before IU gets the last out.

In the IU 5th, NU brings in another pitcher in RHP Kellen Pate who has a 9.64 ERA in 14 IP. IU goes down in order. NU has just four hits, but has plated seven runs thanks to walks and hit batters, plus a bloop double that scored two.

In the 6th, Tucker walked the leadoff hitter, putting the top of the order up which has killed IU in this series. An infield single that was just barely beat out puts runners on 1st and 2nd with no outs. A double scores both runners to make it 9-2 with a runner on 2nd and no outs. Mercer goes to the bullpen again and brings in Grant Holderfield. Holderfield got the first batter on a K and then a passed ball moved the runner from 2nd to 3rd with one out. Holderfield then got another K for the 2nd out before he hit a batter, IU's 4th hit batter of the game. Holderfield got his 3rd K of the inning to end it.

In IU's 6th, IU puts three on with no outs - all walks. NU brings in another reliever in LHP Parker Hanks. Back-to-back infield outs scores two runs with a runner on 3rd and two outs and the score 9-4. A ground out ends the inning.

Seeing some really bad fundamentals, I mean how do you not throw to the backside bag. It’s either not being taught, or you got a freshman who doesn’t understand. Give up another run because of basic defensive fundamentals not being taught/understood. Also, what’s with the catchers going to one knee with the leg spread? I can see why they have tons of passed balls. Bad fundamentals.

In the 7th, Holderfield walked the leadoff batter. A ground out moves the runner to 2nd with one out. Holderfield got the 2nd out on a K, but gave up a two-out double to score the walk and then a single to score the man on 2nd to put the score at 11-4. A flyout ended NU's half of the inning with two runs scoring after two outs.

In the T7th, Ellis singled to open the inning. Ellis advanced to 2nd on a balk, and Tibbetts was hit by a pitch to put runners on 1st and 2nd with one out. NU goes to the bullpen again to bring in RHP David Utagawa with an ERA of 4.35 in 10.1 IP. A two-out single by Jessee scored a run with runners on 1st and 2nd. A flyout ended the inning with IU down 11-5.

In the 8th, IU brings in John Modugno who has been a big disappointment in the early going of the season as he quickly went from being the Friday starter to a bullpen pitcher that has struggled. With that said, Modugno strikes out the first two batters and gets a ground out to end NU's half of the inning. IU has six outs left to try to make up a six-run deficit.

In IU's 8th, Whalen reached with a 2-out single with a balk moving him to 2nd. Whalen then stole 3rd. Ellis flied out to end the inning.

In the 9th, Modugno opened with two Ks, but then gave up a walk. A line drive homer scored two to make it 13-5 and this is the fourth walk to score off of a homer today. Modugno then gave up another walk with two outs. Modugno then gave up a single to put two runners on before he got the final out on a ground out. IU has three outs to try and come up with 8 runs. IU has given up 11 runs today after two outs.

In IU's 9th, Mathison hits a solo homer with 2 outs to make it 13-6, but that would be it for IU as they lose the game and the series.

Last edited:
IU was an interference call away from possibly getting swept in the series. IU and Northwestern had similar records coming into this series, but the Wildcats had won 8 of 10 games coming in. NU's pitching today wasn't all that great, but they didn't have to be as we used five pitchers with none of them lasting more than 2 innings. Eleven runs scored after two outs for NU with walks killing us again today and we hit four more batters to add to our total in that category. Here are the five pitchers used today and their innings pitched and earned runs given up.

Stahl (starter) 1.1 IP with 3 ER
Kraft 2.1 IP with 2 ER
Tucker 1.1 IP with 4 ER
Holderfield 2.0 IP with 2 ER
Modugno 2.0 IP with 2 ER

All runs given up today were earned and we walked 8 while hitting 4 batters. We did strike out 15 but they often came after damage was done. Five of NU's 10 hits were extra base hits and included two homers. NU had just one more hit than IU but made the most of them with clutch hits after we put runners on with walks and hit batters. We may be battling it out with Minnesota for last place this season unless we have some pitchers finally stepping up with effective pitching, and I don't see a light at the end of the tunnel with that. Perkins and Brehmer have for the most part been fairly effective at times, but it's been a real crap shoot after that, expecially with the bullpen.

Our next B1G series is at Purdue next weekend and the Boilers are an inning away from getting swept by Illinois as I post this.

Last edited:
  • Sad
Reactions: hoosier roadtrips
Seeing some really bad fundamentals, I mean how do you not throw to the backside bag. It’s either not being taught, or you got a freshman who doesn’t understand. Give up another run because of basic defensive fundamentals not being taught/understood. Also, what’s with the catchers going to one knee with the leg spread? I can see why they have tons of passed balls. Bad fundamentals.
The #1 catcher has a very bad habit of jerking his mitt. Pitch might already be in the zone, but he jerks and tries to sell literally every pitch. I’d bet most pitchers wish he cut that out.

The #1 catcher has a very bad habit of jerking his mitt. Pitch might already be in the zone, but he jerks and tries to sell literally every pitch. I’d bet most pitchers wish he cut that out.
Is that Serruto? I know it was Ellis yesterday, but you’re correct. It’s hard to frame pitches when your not in a fundamental position with the lower half. They need serious help with using their lower half and receiving of pitches, it’s poor fundamentals. You either recruit those skills, or you teach them. Neither are being done it seems.

Also, I think I heard that this is the first series loss to Northwestern since 2006/2007? That should be considered unacceptable at this point with the IU baseball program.

Is that Serruto? I know it was Ellis yesterday, but you’re correct. It’s hard to frame pitches when your not in a fundamental position with the lower half. They need serious help with using their lower half and receiving of pitches, it’s poor fundamentals. You either recruit those skills, or you teach them. Neither are being done it seems.

Also, I think I heard that this is the first series loss to Northwestern since 2006/2007? That should be considered unacceptable at this point with the IU baseball program.
Former Indiana program......

At this point it looks like Pony League baseball....

I've only noticed Ellis, but Serruto might do it too. Maybe they are being coached to do it. Either way, not good.

It's going to be a long season if we can only win with slugfests. It looks like our hitting will be fine when we are not facing outstanding hurlers. Maybe we could make the NCAA tourney if we straighten out the pitching and defense.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT