ADVERTISEMENT

Did Penix’s and Tuttle’s stock rise on Saturday?

82hoosier

All-American
Sep 7, 2001
Hoosiers had less than 60 yards of offense in the second half. 24 pass attempts for a total of 88 yards. A quarterback ranking of 39.

Way too soon to annoint McCulley the new Savior.

Last edited:
Reactions: Sophie1970
No way Tuttle and Penix are both back next year.
I’d say there is a 50% they are both gone next year.
If that’s the case I’m sure TA try to bring in a transfer.
It’s going to be an interesting off season.

Reactions: IUHartselCol
I thought one or both of them were injured?

I agree with the poster above that it is way to early to anoint a new QB and give up on Penix and Tuttle.

No, I fear the only thing rising is the level of concern among IU's coaching staff because...
1. Tough division remains next year
2. Players have more mobility to leave and find a better program

Why should FryFogal (sp?) or your older QBs stay if the sense panic and a shift to develop younger talent?

I thought someone said one or both of your QBs were injured?

I agree with the poster above that it is way to early to anoint a new QB and give up on Penix and Tuttle.

Last edited:
Reactions: IUHartselCol
I totally get it if McCulley enters the transfer portal. This is the worst offensive line and the worst group of receivers that IU has had in recent memory. No, I don't think that McCulley will be that good. He throws sidearm. His tendency is to run first and when he throws, he is usually way off target. Perhaps a better line would suit him well but I am not even sure of that. I also wonder why the state of Indiana has not produced better quarterbacks for many years. If he was the best in the state, that really is a sad commentary on the quality of football in Indiana's high schools. Who was the last great QB to play for IU who was from the state? Perhaps Ben Chappell?

Hoosiers had less than 60 yards of offense in the second half. 24 pass attempts for a total of 88 yards. A quarterback ranking of 39.

Supposedly the Second Coming is to be the Savior, not the third. It’s there to give us hope for better days ahead, we hope.

I am withholding judgment on McCulley. first start against Maryland produces 35 points. offense wasn't the problem 2nd start at Michigan, ineffective Offense, with very little help. The next 3 games are teams We should be able to compete with, I want to see how He progresses and how quickly we can open up more of the playbook

I totally get it if McCulley enters the transfer portal. This is the worst offensive line and the worst group of receivers that IU has had in recent memory. No, I don't think that McCulley will be that good. He throws sidearm. His tendency is to run first and when he throws, he is usually way off target. Perhaps a better line would suit him well but I am not even sure of that. I also wonder why the state of Indiana has not produced better quarterbacks for many years. If he was the best in the state, that really is a sad commentary on the quality of football in Indiana's high schools. Who was the last great QB to play for IU who was from the state? Perhaps Ben Chappell?
Dave Schnell

Reactions: TomEric4756
I thought one or both of them were injured?

I think Michael Penix suited up for the game and was throwing pregame.

I am withholding judgment on McCulley. first start against Maryland produces 35 points. offense wasn't the problem 2nd start at Michigan, ineffective Offense, with very little help. The next 3 games are teams We should be able to compete with, I want to see how He progresses and how quickly we can open up more of the playbook
Unfortunately I think the playbook is going to have to include a number of plays that involve unblocked pass rushers.

I can't say for certain DM will be the man starting next season. But I do think Tuttle and MP need to figure out who's going to be the backup and who is 3rd string. McCulley has the tools Coach Allen wants in a QB, mobile and with a good arm. It can all peak or valley in a minute.

Have you not been watching the games or just listening to Zach?

The TX QB Hoover coming next year may be the future. Let him and Mcculley battle it out. I think Penix and Tuttle are gone. May have to look in the portal for some experience.

Here is what probably will happen. Penix, Tuttle, Williams, McCulley, Hoover. One will transfer, one will move to another position. Since odds are Hoover will redshirt, That leaves two to battle it out with Hoover as 3rd team. Now Hoover might come on strong later too. And I can bet we will see several new OL/DL through the portal and junior college, plus an RB. And McCulley is not going anywhere. He can't wait to throw passes to Omar.

Last edited:
Reactions: mk23

McCulley's not the savior, as I said when people were jumping with joy after Penix went down, this offense's problems run so much deeper than QB issues, the QB depth chart shouldn't have changed since the start of the season. McCulley is clearly the future of the position at IU, but he's just not ready to start yet, he needs a year of going through spring camp, learning the playbook and catching up to the speed of the game before I would feel confident putting him in as the full time starter. JJ McCarthy is the future at QB for UM and there's a reason he's not starting rn, IU should and most likely will use that same philosophy.

As for the difference between Tuttle and Penix, the difference between them is pretty minute IMO, they are probably going to go with Penix and it sounds like he is closer to being healthy anyway, but QB is really not the problem for this offense, there's not a QB in that room and frankly I would be hard pressed to find a QB in CFB that could hide how terrible this offense is at damn near every other aspect of the game.

Reactions: mk23 and 82hoosier
I can't say for certain DM will be the man starting next season. But I do think Tuttle and MP need to figure out who's going to be the backup and who is 3rd string. McCulley has the tools Coach Allen wants in a QB, mobile and with a good arm. It can all peak or valley in a minute.
After watching him last night it looks like he struggles with accuracy.

Tuttle and Penix will be gone after this season I’m guessing. Neither can be counted on the be healthy even if they did return. Time to turn the page.

Was sitting close to the IU bench last night. Saw MP on sideline giving support when he could. If Tuttle traveled, i did not see him there.

I said last week and will stick with it, i won’t be surprised if both leave. That said, if one or both stay, have to believe a new OL coach at minimum is in order. How do 2, three-year OL starters play so poorly? I get the feeling Sheridan will get a pass due to all the injuries. Not saying that’s a good thing, just think TA will go that way.

Last edited:
Was sitting close to the IU bench last night. Saw MP on sideline giving support when he could. If Tuttle traveled, i did not see him there.

I said last week and will stick with it, i won’t be surprised if both leave. That said, if one or both stay, have to believe a new OL coach at minimum is in order. How do 2, three-year OL starters play so poorly? I get the feeling Sheridan will get a pass due to all the injuries. Not saying that’s a good thing, just think TA will go that way.
Sure didn’t look like he was all that impressed with Sheridan’s play calling. I don’t believe he will survive.

They think they are.

Especially the 5'6" 140 lb experts who have never played or coached.

If the boards here are an accurate reflection upon the mentality of IU football fans, then those 'fans' deserve no better than they're getting.
I guess we’re getting what we deserve. But, we still have LEO.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT