ADVERTISEMENT

Devonte Green

The FSU game would stand as a piece of evidence contradicting your assertion that "disaster will strike"...I do agree with you the Phinisee's ball handling and defense were both sorely missed...and will be surely missed should he not return. I'd go so far as to say that not having RP back makes the schedule a harder climb...but I'm not sure I'd go so far as to say disaster...

Yeah, imagine how formidable we'd be with RP and DD healthy and playing! Those were 2 pieces I thought would really help us this year, and I predicted we'd be better than expected and make the tourney, and I was expecting much larger contributions from both.

Watching PU last night, I really hope DD can find some way to give us some minutes. We're probably going to need him against their posts, imo.

Reactions: h20pls
Yeah, imagine how formidable we'd be with RP and DD healthy and playing! Those were 2 pieces I thought would really help us this year, and I predicted we'd be better than expected and make the tourney, and I was expecting much larger contributions from both.

Watching PU last night, I really hope DD can find some way to give us some minutes. We're probably going to need him against their posts, imo.

DD looked bummed out after the FSU game. He was the last off the bench when the game was over and he wasn’t celebrating much with the guys.

I feel sorry for him right now. He got in the game and immediately had two terrible fouls calls against him. I am not sure he spent two minutes on the court. He never returned to the game.

Reactions: HereYouGoIU
Don't agree with the first sentence. Most people seem to get caught up in offense only, and he may be our most important player at times; since he is the best outside shooter which is a skill we are lacking in otherwise, but honestly I already think TJD is our best player. Consistently good, consistently scores the ball, defends, block shots, anchors the paint and rebounds well. Were RP back and healthy, it might push Green to 3rd or even 4th best in my mind (I've been a big JS critic, but he's so much better this year, imo). If you take away the FSU game, DG's stats for the season drop dramatically, but even with it TJD is averaging basically the same ppg, a much higher FG%, FT%, 9 rpg, etc... Reigning in TO's would be a huge positive for DG. He's much better this year, but still had 4 vs FSU, leading the team. Is that what you mean by "creative"?

I must admit I was surprised that AD shot the FTs after the technical and not DG. I do feel most comfortable with him at the FT line and AD was having an off night. If we can master our shooting, this team will be really tough to beat!

Green only returned from injury a few games ago and he returned with a bang.

Without him, we don’t come close to beating the only non-cupcake we’ve played.

Rob might be a more important player than Devonte (I’d disagree but it’s arguable for sure) due to our lack of PG options but since the last month of last season, Green has been unbelievable.

The only guy we have that has the ability to go off against anybody at any time.

Also as to your second sentence, Green is an excellent defender so that holds zero water.

The man has been a STUD last few games.

From Merriam-Webster:

stud - a male animal kept for breeding; a young man who is virile and promiscuous

Perhaps we might dispense with this as a reference to Players, the penchants of certain fools broadcasting as national sporting experts notwithstanding - doesn't proclaim anything so much as an inability by the user to intelligently describe the qualities and attributes of the Player being referenced.

Green only returned from injury a few games ago and he returned with a bang.

Without him, we don’t come close to beating the only non-cupcake we’ve played.

Rob might be a more important player than Devonte (I’d disagree but it’s arguable for sure) due to our lack of PG options but since the last month of last season, Green has been unbelievable.

The only guy we have that has the ability to go off against anybody at any time.

He was terrific, but even with him going off, I think you can make the exact same statement vs FSU for TJD. He's been phenomenal for a freshman.

PS, I think DG would have had a 5th turnover except for a great catch on that over the top pass to TJD. Don't think anyone else makes that catch.

The FSU game would stand as a piece of evidence contradicting your assertion that "disaster will strike"...I do agree with you the Phinisee's ball handling and defense were both sorely missed...and will be surely missed should he not return. I'd go so far as to say that not having RP back makes the schedule a harder climb...but I'm not sure I'd go so far as to say disaster...

Last season, how many games in a row did we lose after Phinisee got kicked in the head? Was it 9?

We’re a little better this season at the point because Armaan can give some minutes there but freshmen almost always struggle once you get out of the cupcake part of your schedule.

Just sayin’ there are major reasons to be worried.

He was terrific, but even with him going off, I think you can make the exact same statement vs FSU for TJD. He's been phenomenal for a freshman.

PS, I think DG would have had a 5th turnover except for a great catch on that over the top pass to TJD. Don't think anyone else makes that catch.

While I am as excited as anybody about TJD, he’s played 1 game against a truly good, high major opponent.

Let’s see how things go over the next 10 games.

Last season, how many games in a row did we lose after Phinisee got kicked in the head? Was it 9?

We’re a little better this season at the point because Armaan can give some minutes there but freshmen almost always struggle once you get out of the cupcake part of your schedule.

Just sayin’ there are major reasons to be worried.

I think that losing streak started well before RP went out, and extended until his return. I bet it was about the 4th-5th game when he went down, and then still extended a couple more games after his return. Strangest melt-down I recall for an IU team. Strictly going off of memory on this, so I could be mistaken.

I think that losing streak started well before RP went out, and extended until his return. I bet it was about the 4th-5th game when he went down, and then still extended a couple more games after his return. Strangest melt-down I recall for an IU team. Strictly going off of memory on this, so I could be mistaken.

You are mistaken. Got kicked in the head against Central Arkansas and missed the next 3 games (Jacksonville, Illinois, Michigan-started losing streak). He returned for the Maryland game and came off the bench and was very unproductive the next 3-4 games as you could tell not playing basketball for 3 weeks really got to him. During the extended losing streak there were stretches where IU was without Green, McRoberts, and Davis and some of them concurrently. Green and Davis was really the only production we had coming off the bench. Forrester, Moore, and Fitzner played wayyy more minutes than they needed to be playing.

Reactions: kkott
DD looked bummed out after the FSU game. He was the last off the bench when the game was over and he wasn’t celebrating much with the guys.

I feel sorry for him right now. He got in the game and immediately had two terrible fouls calls against him. I am not sure he spent two minutes on the court. He never returned to the game.

They might not have been g calls, but they were predictable ones. He's got to mask physical play better and be aware of where the refs are and what they'll call a foul. He's a senior and it's not too much to expect that he's smarter than that... especially after the first call. He may just be broken down to the point that he can't play like that without fouling or looking like it, but I think not putting him back in is a sign of frustration from CAM and that he has higher expectations for DD. Also, I was surprised FSU's coach never got their big more minutes in the 2nd half, so maybe both coaches decided it was a more up and down game?

It is sad, but it's also reality and Coach can't play guys if they aren't helping us. Someone made a good point about his body and how chiseled he was in high school versus his appearance now and how much weight he's put on. It may not be fair, but I can't help but wonder if CAM thinks he's not done all he could in terms of diet and conditioning. Even if you can't go full bore in practice physically, you can still find ways to stay in shape with all the different training regimens out there.

From Merriam-Webster:

stud - a male animal kept for breeding; a young man who is virile and promiscuous

Perhaps we might dispense with this as a reference to Players, the penchants of certain fools broadcasting as national sporting experts notwithstanding - doesn't proclaim anything so much as an inability by the user to intelligently describe the qualities and attributes of the Player being referenced.
People that play or are around sports, have friends or went to public school know what “stud” means in reference to athletes.

I am surprised that you had to look it up in the dictionary since you are obviously more intelligent than everyone. In terms of athletics it means that the player was super duper and did really swell.in the contest they participated in.

You home schooled kids crack me up!

From Merriam-Webster:

A lot of the potential 2020 croots are bonafide studs.

Our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ himself would be impressed.

I suspect the dictionary is a fine reference...you know...until the meanings of the words get in the way...

Marriage has (had) a historical basis that was codified in the dictionary (among other books/systems of reference). So did "man" and "woman"...again, codified in the dictionary...

We've changed the meanings of those words ... I would think R-t-t understands and means no offense with his post.

People that play or are around sports, have friends or went to public school know what “stud” means in reference to athletes.

I am surprised that you had to look it up in the dictionary since you are obviously more intelligent than everyone. In terms of athletics it means that the player was super duper and did really swell.in the contest they participated in.

You home schooled kids crack me up!

It's crass and crude and does no honor to the subject. You get it or you don't. The posted definition was for the benefit of fools like yourself that toss around words with as much abandon as farts sans any actual comprehension as to their true meaning and/or rely on refined valley-girl terms like "super-duper" to communicate.

Was not aware that graduating from IU qualified as "home-schooling". Cheers.

A micro-brain to match your micro-p - even money they share the same physiological location.

Happy to dig up the reference if you'd like to continue.

It's crass and crude and does no honor to the subject. You get it or you don't. The posted definition was for the benefit of fools like yourself that toss around words with as much abandon as farts sans any actual comprehension as to their true meaning and/or rely on refined valley-girl terms like "super-duper" to communicate.

Was not aware that graduating from IU qualified as "home-schooling". Cheers.
My bad, I was trying to use words that wouldn’t offend anyone. I didn’t realize that “fool” or other names you call posters were acceptable.

Must be hard for you to leave the house without being offended out in the big bad world. No wonder your parents didn’t let you attend public school...makes sense.

I do like your posts as long you are not judging others to a double standard. Difference between you and I is that I would say all this to your face, but in public you keep quiet and then rant on a message board. Go Hoosiers!

My bad, I was trying to use words that wouldn’t offend anyone. I didn’t realize that “fool” or other names you call posters were acceptable.

Must be hard for you to leave the house without being offended out in the big bad world. No wonder your parents didn’t let you attend public school...makes sense.

I do like your posts as long you are not judging others to a double standard. Difference between you and I is that I would say all this to your face, but in public you keep quiet and then rant on a message board. Go Hoosiers!

You really have no idea. And yes, when one speaks beyond one's knowledge or direct experience, that person is indeed a fool. GLWT.

From Merriam-Webster:

When is fpeaugh coming back. While annoying his posts were humorous and entertaining. Obviously versatility of handling words that have multiple meanings isn't your strong point.

https://slangit.com/meaning/stud

stud

• a large-headed piece of metal that pierces and projects from a surface, especially for decoration.
  • an item of jewelry in the form of a piece of metal, precious stone, or other ornament attached to a pin or shaft that passes through a piercing in the body.
  • a fastener consisting of two buttons joined with a bar, used in formal wear to fasten a shirtfront or to fasten a collar to a shirt.

BRITISH

• a small projection fixed to the base of footwear, especially athletic shoes, to allow the wearer to grip the ground.
  • a small metal piece set into the tire of a motor vehicle to improve roadholding in slippery conditions.
  • an upright support in the wall of a building to which sheathing, drywall, etc., are attached.

I agree with you but, right now Al and Brunk are liabilities on defense and last night they were even worse than normal.

Yup.... Brunk was bad in that game, but so were Hamilton's bigs. Our small line up caused havoc on them as much as theirs did us. Not a good game for a slow footed big but I think we need him against other slow footed bigs. At least as a backup. Durham is overplaying and constantly getting burnt.

Two big concerns from that game ..
  • FSU went to a five out space and drive thing. We did not it guard well. Everyone saw that. FSU is not a good outside shooting team and got a bit lucky with that three point barrage, but the spacing and driving that happened after was a big problem for us.
  • TJD guarding a player who can put it on the floor and drive. That may also become an issue. Hasn't been as most of our defensive help has been really good, but in that spread offense he was alone and the driver put him into trouble pretty quickly.
Our small lineup is really good .. the combinations with Thompson, and TJD is our best rebounding and defensive lineup.

Last edited:
Reactions: TommyCracker
Don't agree with the first sentence. Most people seem to get caught up in offense only, and he may be our most important player at times; since he is the best outside shooter which is a skill we are lacking in otherwise, but honestly I already think TJD is our best player. Consistently good, consistently scores the ball, defends, block shots, anchors the paint and rebounds well. Were RP back and healthy, it might push Green to 3rd or even 4th best in my mind (I've been a big JS critic, but he's so much better this year, imo). If you take away the FSU game, DG's stats for the season drop dramatically, but even with it TJD is averaging basically the same ppg, a much higher FG%, FT%, 9 rpg, etc... Reigning in TO's would be a huge positive for DG. He's much better this year, but still had 4 vs FSU, leading the team. Is that what you mean by "creative"?

I must admit I was surprised that AD shot the FTs after the technical and not DG. I do feel most comfortable with him at the FT line and AD was having an off night. If we can master our shooting, this team will be really tough to beat!
TJD
Phinisee
Green

Reactions: kkott
It’s not a guarantee that we would have lost had Green failed to get going last night. Say he misses his first five shots and turns it over twice. Archie benches him and he only plays 15 minutes. The strategy would have changed to emphasize TJD, Druham, Smith. It would have been a close game, but since we played defense we had other paths to winning. That’s how Archie wants to use Green rather than live and die by his mood for that day.
We have no proven consistent outside threat against tough comp other than DeVonte. He goes out, teams will sag in post against TJD. We need to get a lot more out of Al, Rob shooting well when he comes back, and Damezi to develop quickly. This will make our post play most effective when we play tough comp. Even though Wisconsin doesn’t have one of its elite teams this season, I expect that they will play a highly disciplined game on both ends and will try to limit DeVonte getting good shots so critical we get others to provide outside scoring too.

TJD
Phinisee
Green
Green is our best outside shooter, best driver, best passer and best perimeter defender. If the game is close at the end, he has the confidence and talent to get us a win. He’s our best player and the one teams will try to neutralize to take us out of our game. TJD has been helped immensely by Brunk inside on both O and D. No doubt, he’s been very good. But still hasn’t faced a very strong test. Rob has barely played.

DD might be able to guard Lurch from PU

From Merriam-Webster:

Definition:

"Verbose": 1. Containing more words than necessary; wordy...2. Impaired by wordiness; given to wordiness....3. Rikki-Tikki-Tali-Wakki

Could you be anymore of a liberal freak? How about you do the world a favor and go jump off of a bridge!
Wow, really witty attempt at insult there, Boomer. < that's sarcasm, you're not witty at all.

How about you just focus on basketball and keep your propaganda and lie induced stupidity off this board.

1. Correct.
2. No, he's not.
3. No, he's not.
4. No, he's not.

1/4 is a fail.

Zero doubt Green's our best perimeter defender.

Green will make the most unbelievable passes but too often, our bigs can't catch 'em.

He is loose with the ball at times, but I know this: 5 seconds left and we need a final shot? Who you goin' with?

If you say TJD, you better hope that final shot is within 3 feet of the basket. Right now, that's his range.

Zero doubt Green's our best perimeter defender.

Green will make the most unbelievable passes but too often, our bigs can't catch 'em.

He is loose with the ball at times, but I know this: 5 seconds left and we need a final shot? Who you goin' with?

If you say TJD, you better hope that final shot is within 3 feet of the basket. Right now, that's his range.
Phinisee is the best on ball defender, Green just a notch behind him but still very good. Call it 1a 1b. The difference is Phin is better off the ball than Green and equal or better on help defense. He's probably the 2nd best overall defender in the conference.

As far as passing, Phin is more controlled, Green more creative. but there's a reason Phin is our PG.

I'll take Green for the last shot, but would take Phinisee to guard the opponents last shot.

Last edited:
Green is our best outside shooter, best driver, best passer and best perimeter defender. If the game is close at the end, he has the confidence and talent to get us a win. He’s our best player

Green is best at free-range playmaking. He is not the best at running the offense or driving or handling the ball to avoid a turnover or shooting as a function of the offensive play.

He has the most moxie, and that is a good skill to have on a team that needs individual scorers. He has good handles when he is challenged and free-wheeling. It is no doubt a positive. And as a senior, he is slightly better at decision making, so his pluses win out. Also, he plays pretty good defense overall. I don't think he is as good as Rob though on the ball.

Using Green as 6th man is kind of nice because other teams cannot start a game focused on stopping Green. In my opinion, that gives him more free range when he gets in. Armaan is more the traditional guard and he has been facilitating well for a freshman.

It works out pretty well.

Definition: "Verbose": 1. Containing more words than necessary; wordy...2. Impaired by wordiness; given to wordiness....3. Rikki-Tikki-Tali-Wakki

"Rikki-Tikki-Tali-Wakki" - Sounds like proof that your emotional/intellectual development ceased at age 6. GLWT.

'Verbose' beats vacuous every time.

1. Correct.
2. No, he's not.
3. No, he's not.
4. No, he's not.

1/4 is a fail.
1. He is
2. He is - per CAM
3. He is- Per CAM
4. He isn’t, but very close
75% is clearly a passing grade

ADVERTISEMENT