ADVERTISEMENT

Defining the pack line defense

tbleadoff

Redshirt
Jan 29, 2017
Huntington
Can someone enlighten me to what makes our so called “pack line” defense unique or worth its own description?
I’ve seen many defenses in my 50 years but I still haven’t seen anything in Archie Miller’s defense that sets it apart from any bad man to man defense that fails to help and recover over and over....
Pack line defense is a joke...and hopefully Archie never claimed it was actually a policy

Can someone enlighten me to what makes our so called “pack line” defense unique or worth its own description?
I’ve seen many defenses in my 50 years but I still haven’t seen anything in Archie Miller’s defense that sets it apart from any bad man to man defense that fails to help and recover over and over....
Pack line defense is a joke...and hopefully Archie never claimed it was actually a policy
It isn't unique. Virginia, for example, uses it exclusively just like we do.

They have been very good at it, historically. We have been improving year over year, albeit incrementally. When we are actually engaged, it works well. Miller's problem is not his scheme, it's getting the kids to play hard every possession.

any coach that doesn't use zones as well as man to man is an idiot who isn't using all at his disposal.

with small guards as we have it's less effective than with tall/long guards, but it's still another valuable weapon at a coach's disposal.

personally, i think the perfectly played zone has a considerably higher ceiling of effectiveness than the best played mtm, against many to most teams/players.

The fact that he never switches defenses drives me nuts. Would it hurt to press? Or play some 2-3 zone?

any coach that doesn't use zones as well as man to man is an idiot who isn't using all at his disposal.

with small guards as we have it's less effective than with tall/long guards, but it's still another valuable weapon at a coach's disposal.

personally, i think the perfectly played zone has a considerably higher ceiling of effectiveness than the best played mtm, against many to most teams/players.
I bet that's why teams who play zone have historically dominated in the tournament.

Here's the oversimplified version: Think of it as an over sagging help side man to man that is geared to stop penetration in the lane, but requires long athletes who can close out on perimeter shooters.

Reactions: Cavanagh.13
Here's the oversimplified version: Think of it as an over sagging help side man to man that is geared to stop penetration in the lane, but requires long athletes who can close out on perimeter shooters.

and can have no hesitation, be very smart, well connected team play is key. When we are clicking we are awesome.

we just are not going 100% all the time. When you are going 95% it can really get exposed and you can get torched from three.

The fact that he never switches defenses drives me nuts. Would it hurt to press? Or play some 2-3 zone?
Yes, it would hurt. The defense still isn't where it needs to get to. Adding other schemes, which we would surely suck at in the beginning, would take away practice time from the offense, which is objectively worse than the defense, and shooting free throws, which is even worse.

We aren't even great at the things we are trying to be good at. No need to add additional things for us to suck at.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT