ADVERTISEMENT

Dawson Garcia

I guess it depends on where you have to go in BTOWN, but I'll assure you, it's a lot easier to navigate downtown Indy anymore on a regular basis … I've commuted there too a couple years ago. I'm just commenting on the fact that BTOWN offers nothing in the way of benefit of being a smaller town anymore. Less to do vs big city, probably worse traffic, etc. Crime yes, but have you walked downtown BTOWN lately and not been hit up for money or cigs by the array of homeless … you're not getting shot, but my point is BTOWN has lost all of it's small town appeal if you had grown up around here and are not used to crime and inconvenience.

I guess it depends on where you have to go in BTOWN, but I'll assure you, it's a lot easier to navigate downtown Indy anymore on a regular basis … I've commuted there too a couple years ago. I'm just commenting on the fact that BTOWN offers nothing in the way of benefit of being a smaller town anymore. Less to do vs big city, probably worse traffic, etc. Crime yes, but have you walked downtown BTOWN lately and not been hit up for money or cigs by the array of homeless … you're not getting shot, but my point is BTOWN has lost all of it's small town appeal if you had grown up around here and are not used to crime and inconvenience.
I love to visit Bloomington and Brown County. I have zero desire to visit Milwaukee aka Chicago north. The traffic in my opinion is much worse in Milwaukee than Bloomington. Indianapolis is a much nicer city than Milwaukee.

I love to visit Bloomington and Brown County. I have zero desire to visit Milwaukee aka Chicago north. The traffic in my opinion is much worse in Milwaukee than Bloomington. Indianapolis is a much nicer city than Milwaukee.
I love Brown County/Nashville as well, it's more akin to what Bloomington used to be.

Reactions: evvcabinetman
I think we have a better than 50-50 chance. BTOWN is not a hick town to hicks, which I'd probably call myself if being a hick means you prefer a small town environment. I work there, commute there everyday, but would NEVER want to live there anymore. Traffic is horrid, might take you a half an hour to get out to 37 or 446 for what should be a 30 minute commute 20 years ago. Not that way anymore, it's basically a miniature Indy, without the road system to handle the volume. There's that and the regular sighting of college kids driving supercars with dents and dings because they don't know how to drive and tons of kids texting while driving those f'n scooters … which would probably lead to death in a big city, but perfectly acceptable in BTOWN's slow moving and incredibly annoying congestion. I'd argue not a hick town at all, but it might be a more frustrating town to move around in than Milwaukee actually and for that reason it now lacks the small town appeal that may have existed 30 years ago and had some appeal to it vs Milwaukee, Louisville, Lexington, etc.

Oy vey... amazing how many folks don't get what I'm saying. Reread: I never said it's a hicktown, I said it often LOOKS like a hicktown to kids from bigger cities. Fortunately that doesn't include Garcia, but I do think it helps explain why we whiffed on lots of kids in the Sampson, Davis and Crean years, and one of the reasons why recruiting IN I think will always pay dividends. If you grow up in a big City, the sights and sounds which most Hoosiers would find scary, are comforting, while a smaller town in the middle of IN is scary. If a kid is from a top 20 population center in the US, I bet our close percentage is 25% or more less. FWIW, I would agree that we have a 50/50 or better chance of landing Garcia, I was just responding to and agreeing with Ovaltine's post.

Oy vey... amazing how many folks don't get what I'm saying. Reread: I never said it's a hicktown, I said it often LOOKS like a hicktown to kids from bigger cities. Fortunately that doesn't include Garcia, but I do think it helps explain why we whiffed on lots of kids in the Sampson, Davis and Crean years, and one of the reasons why recruiting IN I think will always pay dividends. If you grow up in a big City, the sights and sounds which most Hoosiers would find scary, are comforting, while a smaller town in the middle of IN is scary. If a kid is from a top 20 population center in the US, I bet our close percentage is 25% or more less. FWIW, I would agree that we have a 50/50 or better chance of landing Garcia, I was just responding to and agreeing with Ovaltine's post.
When East Carolina was looking at my daughter - the biggest drawback was that we still had to rent a car when we flew to the nearest major airport. Kids and parents want to be able to fly to the place, Uber or shuttle to the campus/hotel/game, and same back. So we ended the process w ECU for that alone.
An hour+ car trip each way to and from the flight is unappealing.
Bloomington is still a trip to Indy or Louisville after the flight.

No easy in/out...

When East Carolina was looking at my daughter - the biggest drawback was that we still had to rent a car when we flew to the nearest major airport. Kids and parents want to be able to fly to the place, Uber or shuttle to the campus/hotel/game, and same back. So we ended the process w ECU for that alone.
An hour+ car trip each way to and from the flight is unappealing.
Bloomington is still a trip to Indy or Louisville after the flight.

No easy in/out...

Neat story, bro

Reactions: cybergates
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT