ADVERTISEMENT

Dawson Garcia

kkott

Hall of Famer
Oct 26, 2001
No news after his weekend visit to Marquette? Isn't he supposed to be deciding pretty quickly, before his HS season? Thought we might hear some tidbits by now on the visit.

No news after his weekend visit to Marquette? Isn't he supposed to be deciding pretty quickly, before his HS season? Thought we might hear some tidbits by now on the visit.
His visit isn’t until this coming weekend - Nov 8-10.

Ahh, that's why! Just checked and it looks like they don't have a game this weekend, which I think would've been an advantage for them. Was he at Hoosier Hysteria? I would think IU's support would stand out vs Marquette
He visited the last weekend in October. I believe his HS homecoming conflicted with HH is why he didn’t visit then.

Everything I’ve heard is the visit to IU was outstanding. Both Leal and Galloway (and their families) were here for his OV and both parents were very engaged during the visit.

Will we get him? Idk, but I like our chances. One thing is for sure, you can’t fault Archie if he doesn’t. This staff has done everything one could ask to try to secure this commitment.

IU > Marquette
IU Campus
Indiana University
Bloomington is a college town
Indiana is THE Basketball State
5 National Titles
IU Coeds
Lifetime hero in the entire state of Indiana
Chance to start immediately at IU and be the next Big Handsome

Reactions: travlinhoosier
IU > Marquette
IU Campus
Indiana University
Bloomington is a college town
Indiana is THE Basketball State
5 National Titles
IU Coeds
Lifetime hero in the entire state of Indiana
Chance to start immediately at IU and be the next Big Handsome
It seems there are many reasons to come to IU. I have to wonder why it is a hard decision for him and why Marquette?

Last edited:
he visits MU this weekend. My money is on him making a pick by Nov 13. Anybody's guess right now......my son visited his buddy at Marquette this weekend....re-confirmed what I already knew...Bloomington is a much nicer area. Won't say more about that, other than local McDonalds had bulletproof glass at the drive thru.

he visits MU this weekend. My money is on him making a pick by Nov 13. Anybody's guess right now......my son visited his buddy at Marquette this weekend....re-confirmed what I already knew...Bloomington is a much nicer area. Won't say more about that, other than local McDonalds had bulletproof glass at the drive thru.
It's in a rough area.

It's in a rough area.
yeah that's what I was eluding to...No knock to Milwaukee...we go to Germanfest in the summer. It's nice along the lake. But the city, which has had the immediate downtown and lakefront cleaned up nicely, is still a rust belt town with a lot of old, dead factories and the MU campus is near areas that have some crime problems. Just don't know how much of that matters to kids these days. We'll find out soon.

yeah that's what I was eluding to...No knock to Milwaukee...we go to Germanfest in the summer. It's nice along the lake. But the city, which has had the immediate downtown and lakefront cleaned up nicely, is still a rust belt town with a lot of old, dead factories and the MU campus is near areas that have some crime problems. Just don't know how much of that matters to kids these days. We'll find out soon.

It doesn't... look at the incredible fast recruiting success Hardaway's had at Memphis. Getting kids to the NBA is evaluation factor 1-10... aestetics of the campus is probably around #20, unfortunately for IU. Wish we were recruiting more of the Joes on this board.... we'd be a lock!

It doesn't... look at the incredible fast recruiting success Hardaway's had at Memphis. Getting kids to the NBA is evaluation factor 1-10... aestetics of the campus is probably around #20, unfortunately for IU. Wish we were recruiting more of the Joes on this board.... we'd be a lock!
well hopefully that plays in our favor, as IU has put a lot of players into paying careers in recent yrs. I don't have time to do the research but cannot imagine MU has a leg up on us there. Actually I was surprised Memphis didn't make his final cut. Garcia has a lot of similar traits to Mike Miller and I was fearful that it would be very appealing to Garcia. Who knows...he took his official to Memphis last month, and I haven't heard much on that topic since. For all we know, this may be a 3 horse race and not 2.

Reactions: kkott
Some Garcia chatter this evening. Coach Ostrom went to visit him again. He will visit Marquette and then make his final decision by November 20. Rumor also indicated Miller would like one more face to face meeting before he decides.

This continues to be one of the most important recruiting targets for Miller in his time at Indiana. It doesn't take much to see how nicely Dawson Garcia would fit in aside TJD as a mobile big man.
Time will tell.

Some Garcia chatter this evening. Coach Ostrom went to visit him again. He will visit Marquette and then make his final decision by November 20. Rumor also indicated Miller would like one more face to face meeting before he decides.

This continues to be one of the most important recruiting targets for Miller in his time at Indiana. It doesn't take much to see how nicely Dawson Garcia would fit in aside TJD as a mobile big man.
Time will tell.
Sounds like he wants to sign early so I woukd think we would know in a week or so.

Time will tell.

I don’t see him as THAT important but yes he would look nice beside TJD.

Time will tell.
great info....would be big for CAM to get one last face to face after the MU visit. Having him and TJD on the court together (throw in a developing Hunter) would create matchup issues. Lots of length on the floor.

Bloomington is a much nicer area. Won't say more about that, other than local McDonalds had bulletproof glass at the drive thru.
I'll say it for you....I can see that on the list of "Pros and Cons" discussed at the Garcia dinner table. With all other things being equal, the deciding factor of Marquette's "bulletproof glass" vs. IU's "regular glass" under category: favorite restaurant for late night munchies as the item of final persuasion.

Actually, the longer he takes to "pull the trigger", the more nervous I get about that little window of opportunity.

Some young men prefer an urban environment vs a more pastoral environment. Anecdotally, I'd bet that's a pretty even split. For example, my son had a childhood buddy that went to Marquette and absolutely loved the school and Milwaukee - still lives there.

Southern Indiana comes with its own set of challenges (lack of diversity, etc). Hopefully what Bloomington offers appeals to the young man, but again, that's a 50/50 proposition IMHO.

Some young men prefer an urban environment vs a more pastoral environment. Anecdotally, I'd bet that's a pretty even split. For example, my son had a childhood buddy that went to Marquette and absolutely loved the school and Milwaukee - still lives there.

Southern Indiana comes with its own set of challenges (lack of diversity, etc). Hopefully what Bloomington offers appeals to the young man, but again, that's a 50/50 proposition IMHO.

Yeah, Btown often looks like hicktown to folks from bigger cities and it feels uncomfortable, looks like there's nothing to do and scares them a bit because it's so different I think. Everyone on here thinks it's idyllic, and it is for the most part... if you are white and grew up in IN. And, I'm not playing the race card, as I think most students regardless of race come to love it... but some won't ever give it a chance because of these factors.

agree on all counts. Anyone's guess right now...Garcia's 'camp' has done a very good job of keeping their preferences/leanings very tight lipped to this point. Can we confirm that Memphis isn't still part of the conversation? They scared me because of Penny and Mike Miller, Miller especially because college Mike Miller bares a lot of similarity to what I've seen (on video) of Garcia.

Lots of buzz out there now that IU is in the lead for him, but Marquette still . . .
If Archie can get an in-home visit next week we could be in the driver’s seat. Fingers crossed big time.

We thought we had Garland. Not doing that again! Hope we get him but you never know. Best wishes to him wherever he chooses. Seems like a great young man. Would fit perfect with the guys we have.

Reactions: Sassy61 and BigMobe
Lots of buzz out there now that IU is in the lead for him, but Marquette still . . .
If Archie can get an in-home visit next week we could be in the driver’s seat. Fingers crossed big time.
From connected guys or random buzz?

I’m hearing Archie is flying up tomorrow to meet with the Garcia family before Dawson leaves for his OV in Milwaukee. As of midnight Sunday night (from my understanding) a dead period starts in which coached cannot contact players.

Gonna be an interesting 3-4 days . . . :cool:

EDIT - I’m also hearing it may happen Sunday afternoon/evening. Technically, the IU staff or any other has until midnight before the NC period kicks in.

Last edited:
Reactions: MG80
Yeah, Btown often looks like hicktown to folks from bigger cities and it feels uncomfortable, looks like there's nothing to do and scares them a bit because it's so different I think. Everyone on here thinks it's idyllic, and it is for the most part... if you are white and grew up in IN. And, I'm not playing the race card, as I think most students regardless of race come to love it... but some won't ever give it a chance because of these factors.
And no easy in and out...

Reactions: kkott
Instagram chat from two days ago with Garcia about his recruitment - can't see as it merits its own thread but he sounds like a decent guy.

good kid. Definitely holding his cards close. got several tough phone calls ahead of him in the next 10 days.

I wish Vanilla Ice had just floated the question "so...which way ya' leaning at this moment?" just to see the response.

Am I the only one hoping for cloudy, windy and rainy weather in Milwaukee this weekend?

tumblr_lmmqnttKCo1qkeeglo1_500.gif

Am I the only one hoping for cloudy, windy and rainy weather in Milwaukee this weekend?
tumblr_lmmqnttKCo1qkeeglo1_500.gif

Cold front swooping from the Qikiqtaaluk Region, Nunavut, Canada ( the northernmost permanently inhabited place). Think that might impact directly on Milwaukee. Probably should be pointed out. It's 508 miles from the north pole. Quite the reach. But I say go for it.

I think the more "artsy" a player is, the more he would tend to appreciate nature and perhaps inclined to maybe desire a less manufactured environment of confinement, such as one might find in Bloomington, IN and the surrounding expanse of Hoosier National Forest.

I think the more "artsy" a player is, the more he would tend to appreciate nature and perhaps inclined to maybe desire a less manufactured environment of confinement, such as one might find in Bloomington, IN and the surrounding expanse of Hoosier National Forest.

What?

You want us to recruit "artsy" players? Not that there's anything wrong with that!

Ah, but Wisconsin has a lot to offer...and Milwaukee, too. I have a good friend that is a docent at the Milwaukee Art Museum, a world class place. There are art galleries and busy bar scenes as well as the lakefront. But opinions vary. The Business and Dentistry colleges are very strong. Arts and Humanities, some tell me, are not. Some people like the urban feel...others do not. If I had a choice, I would go to UW-Madison before Marquette...oh, I did.

But, Garcia may be considering lots of things such as Marquette is a Jesuit school, was early in his recruitment, it's close but not too close to home, and he has developed relationships that are comfortable. I'm not too worried about his choice...what good would worrying do?

He sure would look good at IU alongside TJD and hanging a NCAAT banner!

Milwaukee has one of the highest violent crime rates for a city its size in the U.S. Compare the crime and violence of Milwaukee to the beauty of Bloomington, Indiana and the surrounding area. Plus Indiana is THE Basketball state. And IU has more history with 5 National Championships. And IU has the acknowledged best fanbase of all of Garcia's finalists.

Last edited:

I think we have a better than 50-50 chance. BTOWN is not a hick town to hicks, which I'd probably call myself if being a hick means you prefer a small town environment. I work there, commute there everyday, but would NEVER want to live there anymore. Traffic is horrid, might take you a half an hour to get out to 37 or 446 for what should be a 30 minute commute 20 years ago. Not that way anymore, it's basically a miniature Indy, without the road system to handle the volume. There's that and the regular sighting of college kids driving supercars with dents and dings because they don't know how to drive and tons of kids texting while driving those f'n scooters … which would probably lead to death in a big city, but perfectly acceptable in BTOWN's slow moving and incredibly annoying congestion. I'd argue not a hick town at all, but it might be a more frustrating town to move around in than Milwaukee actually and for that reason it now lacks the small town appeal that may have existed 30 years ago and had some appeal to it vs Milwaukee, Louisville, Lexington, etc.

Reactions: Hatchets7times
So you would rather enjoy the crime in Milwaukee? Milwaukee is not anywhere I would ever want to live. I would take Bloomington every day over Milwaukee. I seem to have no problem driving around Bloomington and the surrounding areas. State Park close by.

ADVERTISEMENT