ADVERTISEMENT

Dave Schnell

Kelly_32

All-Big Ten
Dec 12, 2004
My kid decided to start his day at 1:00 am yesterday (I'm too old for this crap) so I found the 1988 Liberty Bowl on youtube and watched it.

I was in high school at the time and only watched the Hoosiers when their games were on Channel 4. I was surprised by just how good Schnell was. He had a strong arm with really nice precision on his passes. I believe he ended up with 375 yards passing in the win over South Carolina.

I read a little bit about him online after watching the game. I had to laugh that in IU's 31-10 win at Ohio State he actually motioned to Ohio State's crowd to get louder. I love that.

Great QB during the Mallory years. Some of you may not know he passed away at 44 from Leukemia. Has a son Spencer who had a good preseason with Tampa Bay at wide receiver but is currently on their practice squad i believe. Played college at Illinois State.

Dave Schnell was a big time recruit for Mal out of Elkhart. Nice guy too when I played hoops with him at the HPER.

Redshirted his first year on campus, '85. He and AT, the following year, '86, made a formidable backfield when playing together after that. IIRC, didn't Kramme finish both the '86 and '87 seasons due to Scnell injuries?

Dave Schnell was a big time recruit for Mal out of Elkhart. Nice guy too when I played hoops with him at the HPER.

Redshirted his first year on campus, '85. He and AT, the following year, '86, made a formidable backfield when playing together after that. IIRC, didn't Kramme finish both the '86 and '87 seasons due to Scnell injuries?
You are correct about Kramme. I thought Schnell was a true frosh in 86 with plans to redshirt that year. Mal got fed up with the QB play after a couple losses and decided to play him and put AT in the starting lineup as well.

I recall that Schnell and AT were in the same class. They didn't see action until the 6th or 7th game of the year. Apparently Mallory wanted to redshirt them, but couldn't keep them off the field based upon what they did in practice and the ineffectiveness of the guys who played ahead of them.

I recall that Schnell and AT were in the same class. They didn't see action until the 6th or 7th game of the year. Apparently Mallory wanted to redshirt them, but couldn't keep them off the field based upon what they did in practice and the ineffectiveness of the guys who played ahead of them.
I believe you are right in that it was past the half way point in the season for both to get their shot at decent playing time. In fact, AT's breakout game came in a home game vs Wisconsin in which he did not even start. Think he tallied near 200 yards on the ground.

Here's a story most people don't know or may not remember. In that same Wisconsin game, AT's longest run of around 50 yards resulted in a fumble (very rare for him). The crowd was so impressed and amazed, AT still got a standing ovation on the play even though it was a turnover.

Schnell redshirted '85. AT played as true frosh in '86. So football-wise, same class. Not same recruiting class.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT