ADVERTISEMENT

Dalton Knecht

Bucket Getter

Senior
Apr 9, 2023
Damn. Dude is legit. Anyone know how we got outbid by Rocky Top? He’s darned near a one-man show for them. His shooting and playmaking (coincidentally our two main weaknesses) would’ve put us in a position to compete for the B1G.

• Angry
Reactions: Willdog7
Yep huge miss for us. UT has lots of NIL $$ and Kville is a nice town. They’ve been a more consistent top 20 team than us in recent yrs. Tough to accept that IU bball just doesn’t have the same appeal to young players today as us old timers think it should. Frustrating.

Looked like he really screwed up his ankle near the end of the game.

Yep huge miss for us. UT has lots of NIL $$ and Kville is a nice town. They’ve been a more consistent top 20 team than us in recent yrs. Tough to accept that IU bball just doesn’t have the same appeal to young players today as us old timers think it should. Frustrating.

No fake. I’d have been out for the year turning my ankle like he did. Looked nasty.

Tennessee has the most ambitious NIL collective.

Spyre Sports Group

• Sad
Reactions: Bucket Getter
Tennessee has the most ambitious NIL collective.

Spyre Sports Group
Diluted down to account for what I'm sure is a very heavy concentration on football...I'd strongly guess that we weren't "out bid" for Knecht's services.

I would be surprised if I ever found out that our style of play wasn't a major factor in Knecht, Ledlum, Timberlake, etc... passing on IU. And if true, Knecht picking Tennessee is an indicator on how poorly high level guards might be viewing our system right now, as Tennessee runs a pretty slow, "B10 ish", physical style on both ends themselves.

Diluted down to account for what I'm sure is a very heavy concentration on football...I'd strongly guess that we weren't "out bid" for Knecht's services.

I would be surprised if I ever found out that our style of play wasn't a major factor in Knecht, Ledlum, Timberlake, etc... passing on IU. And if true, Knecht picking Tennessee is an indicator on how poorly high level guards might be viewing our system right now, as Tennessee runs a pretty slow, "B10 ish", physical style on both ends themselves.
It could just be that he liked eastern TN better than southern IN, or really clicked with a few of their guys.

Reactions: sglowrider
Damn. Dude is legit. Anyone know how we got outbid by Rocky Top? He’s darned near a one-man show for them. His shooting and playmaking (coincidentally our two main weaknesses) would’ve put us in a position to compete for the B1G.
Can not make them come.

• Haha

Woodson's fault, if only he could recruit at a high level maybe he could be successful here

Woodson's fault, if only he could recruit at a high level maybe he could be successful here
His recruiting, so far, has far outpaced his success on the court...from an overall talent perspective anyways. Especially if you count him getting TJD and Race to stick around as recruiting efforts, which I do.

TJD
Race
X (sought after transfer)
Miller (sought after transfer)
Tamar
JHS
Malik
Ware
Mack
Walker and Sparks probably weren't as sought after as guys like Ware and X, but solid pickups
Cupps
Newton

That's an impressive group for 3 recruiting seasons. Lots of star ratings, handful of NBA kids...

And then McNeeley so far for next year.

I don't worry about his ability to attract talent. I worry about his ability to build a roster in the right way, that will thrive in today's college basketball world.

His recruiting, so far, has far outpaced his success on the court...from an overall talent perspective anyways. Especially if you count him getting TJD and Race to stick around as recruiting efforts, which I do.

TJD
Race
Tamar
JHS
Malik
Ware
Mack
Walker and Sparks probably weren't as sought after as guys like Ware and X, but solid pickups
Cupps
Newton

That's an impressive group for 3 recruiting seasons. Lots of star ratings, handful of NBA kids...

I don't worry about his ability to attract talent. I worry about his ability to build a roster in the right way, that will thrive in today's college basketball world.
I was being sarcastic, I was responding to your comment insinuating his system is hurting his recruiting which is clearly not the case.

In fact his system is clearly helping.

Reactions: sglowrider
Guards- Jalen Hood Schifino? Gabe Cupps? Jakai Newton (who's been hurt)

Shooters- Mgbako, Ware, and Banks are all proving to be decent shooters and Cupp will be in time. Not mention McNeeley next year.

IU is going to be fine
Well, this board desperately needs some sunshine pumpers, so I guess you'll do. Keep up the good work Mrs. Woodson.

• Wow
Reactions: Florida4IU
He's the one that got away, imo. Surefire pro.

A lot of speculation in your post. Seems more likely Tennessee outbid IU for Knecht's services.

Last edited:
It could just be that he liked eastern TN better than southern IN, or really clicked with a few of their guys.
Not possible. It’s not possible that anyone likes anyplace better than B’Town! Of course, I can only see it from the perspective of someone who grew up 80 miles from Bloomington and lives and breathes IU, but still.

TJD
Race
Tamar
JHS
Malik
Ware
Mack
Cupps
Newton

5 -1 , I would say he is thriving.

1094365.png

The knock on Knecht is defense. It’s been scouted against and mentioned a lot. He gets beat but I think he would’ve fit better at the wing spot with mbako playing stretch 4. I heard an analyst say Barnes has looked past Knechts defense deficiencies. Barnes has even hinted at it.

He's what I am hoping Mgbako becomes.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT