ADVERTISEMENT

Dadgum it Peegs . . .

Sope Creek

Hall of Famer
Feb 5, 2003
. . . I understand the need to pay the bills, I really do, but when the frikkin video ads prevent us from being able to access or type posts to participate in the board, then it's time to complain about the ads.

Factually, ads at the top of the thread force the poster to stay at the top of the thread, which precludes the opportunity to access, read and respond to posts lower in the thread's chain. It doesn't matter what I do to try to read/respond to other posts, that's what happens . . . and it's MADDENING.

The format is already bad enough . . . but dadgum it, the format now is defeating the purpose of the boards altogether. I have little doubt that it's driving down traffic . . . and if it's not yet, it likely will real soon where this effect is present.

ARRRRRGGGGHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

What video ads?

Upper right, right under the box where your name, no. of messages, no. of likes and no. of points are listed. The videos not there every time I get on the board . . . but when they are there, trying to browse through posts or reply is impossible.

And it's completely unpredictable. I could be in the middle of drafting an epic response to a post (like I was earlier when I posted the OP rant in this thread) and it was like being stuck in a revolving door; no matter what I did the board took me to the first post where the dadgum video was playing.

Happened over the weekend, yesterday . . . and 3 times today.

Using Chrome and Adblock is my best friend. No annoying ads to be bothered with!

What's a plug-in? The only one I have is the plug at the end of the cord to this laptop.
Do a search for Ghostery, and download it. Once its up and running, you'll be able to see all the trackers and widgets and other behind-the-scenes programs that are tracking your every move. You can pick and choose which ones you want to deactivate, but I generally shut them all off - and for sure one of the ad programs for those annoying videos is one that Ghostery will block.

Do a search for Ghostery, and download it. Once its up and running, you'll be able to see all the trackers and widgets and other behind-the-scenes programs that are tracking your every move. You can pick and choose which ones you want to deactivate, but I generally shut them all off - and for sure one of the ad programs for those annoying videos is one that Ghostery will block.
Ghostery's been outed as being a cover for an ad-firm that's collecting your data. I switched to Disconnect after that came out, but who knows if they're actually better?

Edit: If you do use Ghostery, make sure to disable the GhostRank feature.

Ghostery's been outed as being a cover for an ad-firm that's collecting your data. I switched to Disconnect after that came out, but who knows if they're actually better?

I'm going back to using a land line. The NSA might be there, but there aren't any ads . . .

DADGUMIT . . . it's doing it again!!!

AAAAAAAARRRRRRRGGGGGGHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!

Reactions: Oxford Collapse

Yikes....thanks for the intel.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT