ADVERTISEMENT

Current, former players arrested

I know both. Good kids. I’d vouche for their character today. I’d imagine with the homelessness problem and violent crime/rapes in certain areas of Bloomington, along with mental health issues in certain areas, that the police force has better time than to spend resources buying weed to catch some 21 year old dudes who sell weed.

They knew it was illegal though, so they’ll have to take ownership of that. CTA needs to keep Johnny on the roster (but it is his call and I’ll support whatever his call is). This is a perfect opportunity to help the young man develop. It may be a stupid law, but he has to still follow it. We can work on changing the law later. This is a perfect opportunity to help him develop, and I think will test who CTA is as a coach. These are the tough situations that come with coaching that there’s no manual for.

These are the tough situations that come with coaching that there’s no manual for.

Quoted from the article: “Approximately one pound of marijuana, THC wax, prescription drugs, and approximately $3,500 in U.S. currency was seized in the search,”

While this may indeed be a "tough" situation, there is indeed a "manual" for this, They should be dismissed...period. Between the lb, the dabs, the scripts and the cash you could be looking @ upwards of $10k in inventory. In the grand scheme of things, a fairly middling operation, but the law is the law and these guys screwed up royally. You have to question their intelligence when they risk their education, their reputation and that of the school and the program as well as their future over this. That felony conviction will follow them for a good while.

That felony conviction will follow them for a good while.
That's the concern. They have to avoid that at all costs. Even if they get a light sentence, a felony conviction will ruin you for life.

While I do not condone illegal drug use or selling, I have two thoughts:
1.) Is anyone surprised to learn there are illegal drugs on the IU campus? If you are not, then you have to allow that illegal drugs are all around these players. So, we cannot be surprised when some players fall into that trap.
2.) When I was a kid in Bloomington, our family doctor was a HUGE IU fan and close to the athletic department. In the early 1970s he suspected rampant drug use among the football players. He said he could see it in they way they played and handled themselves on the field.
Do either of those points excuse the alleged activity? No. They do not. But, perhaps we are acting naively when we are "surprised" by the allegations.

While I do not condone illegal drug use or selling, I have two thoughts:
1.) Is anyone surprised to learn there are illegal drugs on the IU campus? If you are not, then you have to allow that illegal drugs are all around these players. So, we cannot be surprised when some players fall into that trap.
2.) When I was a kid in Bloomington, our family doctor was a HUGE IU fan and close to the athletic department. In the early 1970s he suspected rampant drug use among the football players. He said he could see it in they way they played and handled themselves on the field.
Do either of those points excuse the alleged activity? No. They do not. But, perhaps we are acting naively when we are "surprised" by the allegations.
It’s rampant. There’s nothing in Bloomington to necessarily deter someone from doing them. And so players are surrounded by it. You can get anything you want fairly easily from the day you walk on campus your freshman year. If you’re cool with guys in frats, you can sell if you want it. I personally never got the allur of selling drugs at IU, or how anyone could think that was a wise decision, but it happens fairly rampantly on he campus and an athlete could get involved, although MOST do not.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT