ADVERTISEMENT

Cuban asks Cal to renew IU/UK series

Having the game in Indy provides UK with NO recruiting advantage. UK is on national TV every week. If they are interested in a kid from Indiana HS, this game does not matter in the least. Actually, it improves IU's chance for the kid, because this would be a big time national game and IU is in it.

I would accept that, provided that the broilees are NOT involved. Playu UK every year and bring in a big time opponent to play UL, just not the broilees. IU and UK can put 36000 equal numbers of fans every year. This game does not need UL to fill the stands, and certainly does not need the 5,000 fans the broilees would bring. Don't legitimize them, leave them out.
Having Purdue makes the most sense, by far, because of the impact on attendance. Excluding them makes no sense whatsoever.

You have over 7000 messages and only 888 likes so you must not know much about college basketball.

most of my posts were back in the “old” days, before people needed self assurance with “likes” from strangers. Actually before it was even a feature offered.

But no, you’re right, I don’t know much about college ball. No more or less than most others on here.

The video is easy to find. Take a look at the stampede that happened. It doesn't take a rocket scientist to see the danger.

The second part of this is just ignorant. UK sells out any arena they go to. It's t-shirt night. Whiteouts, blackouts. Hell Texas Tech did free beer last year.

Time to shut down Commonwealth Stadium for safety purposes. Double standard. The fear of Assembly Hall is real.

The video is easy to find. Take a look at the stampede that happened. It doesn't take a rocket scientist to see the danger.

The second part of this is just ignorant. UK sells out any arena they go to. It's t-shirt night. Whiteouts, blackouts. Hell Texas Tech did free beer last year.

Ya, it was a court storming. That’s what they look like. IU students are just faster than others? Dumb.

Last time UK played at Cole - 12,424 of 15,363 seats full
@ Vandy — 11,598 of 14,326

more dumb.

Ya, it was a court storming. That’s what they look like. IU students are just faster than others? Dumb.

Last time UK played at Cole - 12,424 of 15,363 seats full
@ Vandy — 11,598 of 14,326

more dumb.
Cole? #Fergusondumb!

Cal also knows how important it is to play tough neutral court games to prepare for the tournament. It’s good for both sides. Just get it done.

a little return fire is knocking down fans, pouring beer on a kids head, calling Anthony Davis’ mom a coon, trampling Darrius Miller resulting in Michael Kidd-Gilchrist having to move IU fans to pick him up off the floor it’s ok it’s your IU bias talking keep those crimson tinted glasses
Time to shut down Commonwealth Stadium for safety purposes. Double standard. The fear of Assembly Hall is real.

wonder how many ppl were spit on and kicked during that! hillbillies are the worst

The Big Four Classic

bigfourclassic.jpg

It was played the first Saturday in December 1987-1990.

Participants:

Indiana
Kentucky
Louisville
Notre Dame

I think all four years the games were played in the Hoosier Dome.

Indiana played Kentucky.
Notre Dame played Louisville.
(these matchups were repeated in 1989)

Indiana v Louisville
Notre Dame v Kentucky
(these matchups were repeated in 1990)

After the first game:

Against Notre Dame, the Cardinals played defense as if touching an Irish uniform would send an electric shock through their bodies.Each school left with about $350,000 including the money ABC-TV paid to televise the doubleheader. This is the first year of a four-year contract. There has been talk of turning this into a tournament -- Crum and Indiana's Bob Knight favor such a plan -- but in all likelihood it will remain a one-day extravaganza with the schools trading opponents but never meeting their in-state rivals. Next year it will be Indiana-Louisville and Notre Dame-Kentucky.Next year, the entire Hoosier Dome will be used for the doubleheader, meaning the crowd will be about 65,000. This year there was no public sale of tickets. Think people in the two states like their basketball?

Washington Post
December 7, 1987

https://www.washingtonpost.com/arch...classic/940ba26b-64c0-4b49-9dd1-0646ba9b2f7e/

BIG 4 CLASSIC GONE; WHO PULLED TRIGGER?
Steve NidetzCHICAGO TRIBUNE

It isn`t one of the great mysteries, but trying to find out who killed the Big Four Classic may take an Inspector Poirot. Or at least Inspector Clouseau.

''It wasn`t us,'' says an Indiana official.

''It wasn`t us,'' says a CBS Sports official.

''It certainly wasn`t us,'' says a Notre Dame official now that the four- year-old Hoosier Dome double-header has been canceled and the Fighting Irish have been left without a lucrative basketball date.

Kentucky and Notre Dame meeting Louisville, only the former contest will take place Dec. 7 in Indianapolis.

''That`s a business decision they`re making,'' Len DeLuca, CBS Sports programming boss, said of the schools involved. ''We had an opening Dec. 7 since we don`t have the Army-Navy (football) game anymore. After the Final Four, we found out we had a shot at an Indiana-Kentucky game at the Hoosier Dome. We jumped at it.

''But we told them we weren`t prepared to do two games. That`s when we were told the Big Four would not continue.''

The Big Four basically was the creation of ABC Sports. Realizing the ratings bonanza of putting the four neighboring teams on the same court on the same day, the network worked with Hoosier Dome officials to put the pieces together.

Not even Kentucky`s run-in with the NCAA could stop it. Two years ago, there was talk that because the Wildcats were on probation (and, therefore, not eligible for live TV), Hoosier Dome officials might cancel the contract. Instead, Indiana coach Bob Knight insisted on playing the Wildcats, TV or no TV.

So why aren`t Notre Dame and Louisville, TV or no TV, being invited to play on the same court as Indiana and Kentucky?

Because Indiana and Kentucky ''can fill the building on their own,'' said DeLuca. ''That`s the feeling at both schools.''

(more at link)

https://www.chicagotribune.com/news/ct-xpm-1991-05-20-9102150372-story.html

Last edited:
I appreciate your optimism, even if I don't really share it. In any case, let's not count our chickens before they hatch. And, despite my belief that it would be a one-sided series, I'm still very much in favor of it happening. It was one of the game's best rivalries at one point.

Looking at Kenpom @ end of the year, UK was 29, and IU was 34

If Vegas was setting a line in a neutral court game today, it would be UK favored by maybe 2 points... at most.

Time to drop the eternal pessimism

Last edited:
Our Big Ten finishes:

2018: 6th
2019: 9th
2020: 11th

Our recruiting ranks have gone down every single year as well. His only good class was year 1.

I don’t know about this supposed upward trend.

You don't know because you are don't have a functioning brain.

Looking at Kenpom @ end of the year, UK was 29, and IU was 34

If Vegas was setting a line in a neutral court game today, it would be UK favored by maybe 2 points... at most.

Time to drop the eternal pessimism

Well, it’s not as if I want to be pessimistic. I just think the real world results we’ve gotten warrant it. If and when those results warrant optimism, I’ll be optimistic.

I’m not from Missouri, but I sure do like their slogan.

2019 PG - Rob, Al, Devonte
2020 PG - Rob, Kristian, Al

Anyone that’s returning will be better. Kristian is an elite talent, Devonte never was that. Kristian as an early freshman will have similar issues with consistency to what Devonte had. But top ranked PGs are top ranked PGs for a reason.

2019 SG - Al, Devonte, Arman
2020 SG - Al, Arman, Anthony, Kristian

Al and Arman will be better, and they’ll see most of the minutes here. Except when Kristian or Anthony play alongside Rob. We’re deeper and better here.

2019 SF - Justin, Al, Jerome, Demezi
2020 SF - Justin, Jerome, Trey, Anthony, Geronimo, Demezi

Returning guys will be better. More depth will provide real competition for PT. Jerome, with a full offseason under his belt, may take this position over. If he does that’s a huge upgrade at this position. If he doesn’t, Justin and he being a year older will make it better alone. Without factoring any of the freshman.

2019 PF - TJD, Justin, Race
2020 PF - TJD, Race, Justin

They all return. They’ll all better. We figured out as the year wore that we were better when Race was on the floor. He’ll get more minutes behind TJD here, and alongside him. Likely means less minutes from Justin here, so that should make it a more consistent position too.

2019 C - Brunk, TJD, Davis, Race
2020 C - Brunk, TJD, Race

Returning guys will all be better. Losing Davis will be a loss in some ways, he was a threat down low offensively. But not “having” to play him will help in other ways, mainly defensively. All in all, TJDs improvements, Race’s improvements, and our perimeter play being more solid, will make this position better.

2019 bench - Devonte, Deron, Arman, Jerome, Race, Demezi

2020 bench - Al or Kristian, Jerome or Justin, Franklin, Race

Returning guys will be better. If Kristian beats out Al as a starter, you’ll have a returning starter senior coming off your bench. Same if Jerome beats out Justin. And then you’ll have Franklin and Race instead of Devonte and Deron. Much better defensive bench. Al would be an energizer. Kristian would be solid shooting/offensive play.

It’s all there. And no, expecting year over year improvements from college players isn’t hyperbole.
Most players get better every year they play. I got better every year I played in high school and was offered a D1 scholarship. No way would I have been offered that if I didn't get better each year. I think your analysis is correct and the team will be better and deeper at every position. I think IU is going to be a top 25 team next year and getting better by tournament time.

Last edited:
Reactions: jimmygoiu
Dump the boring Crossroads Classic which is Indiana sponsored welfare for our in state competition and replace that event with bigger name teams. The Crossroads Classic is dumb for Indiana and Indianapolis, for the latter, you would hope to attract a team that has fans far enough away that they would stay in a downtown hotel overnight. As that event is set up, the fans don't even need to visit a restaurant on game day, they can drive home to eat.
It should be Indiana, Kentucky, Notre Dame and Louisville. IU and ND could alternate playing UL and UK every year.

Reactions: RunninRichie
We don’t “desperately need them”. UK doesn’t solve the issues that ail our program. And financially we’re fine, could be in a better spot than they are financially?

As a fan base... IU fans want the game more than UK fans do. And we do want it badly. Most of their fans couldn’t care less. But again, we don’t need the game.

I like the idea of changing Crossroads to a true Big 4 with Louisville, Purdue, Kentucky, and Indiana. We’d get them every other year, and Louisville in the off year. Not sure Kentucky would see that as a good opportunity though. Other than playing in Indy every year at Lucas Oil. That would sure be an awesome way to spend a December weekend though!
Replace PU with ND and it's better.

Reactions: Aloha Hoosier
I am not a fan of ND being part of this. If you have attended the Crossroads Classic, you have to notice that ND is lucky to bring 2500 fans to the game. ND does not deserve the payday. ND doesn't support their bball team.

Yeah, for sure Purdue over ND. Obviously Purdue would also be a program that would benefit more from it than they’d contribute fan wise and financially...but they’d bring “enough” if the tickets were split evenly 4 ways. And from a basketball standpoint, currently, if IU is there, Purdue would belong too. Kansas could be a somewhat “regional” team that could replace Purdue and make it truly 4 blue bloods. But UK and Kansas already play in events like this together some years. I like the state rivalry tie in with including Purdue.

Reactions: MrBing
I am not a fan of ND being part of this. If you have attended the Crossroads Classic, you have to notice that ND is lucky to bring 2500 fans to the game. ND does not deserve the payday. ND doesn't support their bball team.
I didn't know they didn't travel well. I also forgot that ND is in the ACC for basketball with UL so they wouldn't work.

Ouch. How were you SO wrong?

Am I missing a joke?

You, Brink, Crazed, others... constantly point out that you just haven’t seen any improvement. Some of you have, at times, altered that to “enough improvement”...I can buy that argument. But by and large it’s blanket, we’re no better now than when he was hired, type arguments.

The entire purpose of analytic type measurements, of which KenPom is one of the better ones for college b-ball, is to provide emotionless evaluations on how teams are doing. Wins and losses are, and should be, the ultimate scoresheet. Everyone knows that. And everyone, at some point in Archies tenure, has been disappointed with that most important metric. I’m certainly one of those people. On more than one occasion since Archie took over, Ive texted the words “he needs fired”. But as this season wore on, despite losing 11 conference games, it looked to me like we were playing better basketball. Our defense was largely solid most games. We did work through the post a lot. We did generate pretty good looks most of the time. We just didn’t have enough guys that could consistently make the open shot, get the key rebound, etc... But it was visually evident we were a lot closer. It’s gratifying that a solid efficiency measurement system like KenPom validates what I was seeing.

So, make the case that we just should be winning more now. Make the case that 39 KenPom isn’t good enough. Make sure you include some historical comparisons and perspective though...because the Big10 has likely never had 12 teams with a legitimate chance at the NCAAs with a week to go in the season like it did this year.

But make those cases, nothing wrong with that view. And yes, at some point very soon Archie does need to climb up towards the top of the conference. But don’t continue saying we’re not improving. What Archie doing isn’t working. We’re not getting better. Because we are.

Reactions: Aloha Hoosier
Am I missing a joke?

You, Brink, Crazed, others... constantly point out that you just haven’t seen any improvement. Some of you have, at times, altered that to “enough improvement”...I can buy that argument. But by and large it’s blanket, we’re no better now than when he was hired, type arguments.

The entire purpose of analytic type measurements, of which KenPom is one of the better ones for college b-ball, is to provide emotionless evaluations on how teams are doing. Wins and losses are, and should be, the ultimate scoresheet. Everyone knows that. And everyone, at some point in Archies tenure, has been disappointed with that most important metric. I’m certainly one of those people. On more than one occasion since Archie took over, Ive texted the words “he needs fired”. But as this season wore on, despite losing 11 conference games, it looked to me like we were playing better basketball. Our defense was largely solid most games. We did work through the post a lot. We did generate pretty good looks most of the time. We just didn’t have enough guys that could consistently make the open shot, get the key rebound, etc... But it was visually evident we were a lot closer. It’s gratifying that a solid efficiency measurement system like KenPom validates what I was seeing.

So, make the case that we just should be winning more now. Make the case that 39 KenPom isn’t good enough. Make sure you include some historical comparisons and perspective though...because the Big10 has likely never had 12 teams with a legitimate chance at the NCAAs with a week to go in the season like it did this year.

But make those cases, nothing wrong with that view. And yes, at some point very soon Archie does need to climb up towards the top of the conference. But don’t continue saying we’re not improving. What Archie doing isn’t working. We’re not getting better. Because we are.

Metrics appeared to improve, I think you hit on the knock on him right now though. While those metrics have gone up each year, our conference standing has decreased. Wins and losses has been a mixed bag.

Am I missing a joke?

Some of us don’t care about irrelevant sites like Kenpom or the hundreds of other useless algorithms that are out there. You can find one to say anything you want. What matters are results. And the results say we’ve gone sideways at best.

Each year our non conference schedule has become weaker and weaker. Our conference results have gotten worse each year. So the slight improvement in overall record is all non conference related. That’s not sustainable.

Our recruiting ranks have also gone backwards every year. You’re welcome to believe all of this will reverse and improve, but don’t tell me the facts are trending that way.

Reactions: RunninRichie
Some of us don’t care about irrelevant sites like Kenpom or the hundreds of other useless algorithms that are out there. You can find one to say anything you want. What matters are results. And the results say we’ve gone sideways at best.

Each year our non conference schedule has become weaker and weaker. Our conference results have gotten worse each year. So the slight improvement in overall record is all non conference related. That’s not sustainable.

Our recruiting ranks have also gone backwards every year. You’re welcome to believe all of this will reverse and improve, but don’t tell me the facts are trending that way.

LOL.

Holy shit, are you one stupid person. I hope to God you didn't reproduce. World has too much stupid as it is.

Metrics appeared to improve, I think you hit on the knock on him right now though. While those metrics have gone up each year, our conference standing has decreased. Wins and losses has been a mixed bag.
So, IU has improved, but to a lesser degree than most of our conference brethren? Is that really improvement, in the context that athletic competition in this form always involves an opponent?

So, IU has improved, but to a lesser degree than most of our conference brethren? Is that really improvement, in the context that athletic competition in this form always involves an opponent?

This is finally a good argument from you. I guess you’ve been implying this all along maybe??

I see, and it’s backed up by KenPom ratings, NCAA berths, etc... I see foundational improvements that will pay long term dividends. Those payoffs do need to start coming with more wins very soon though. I agree on that. I guess I’m just more sure what I saw this year, the nature of our roster, the new guys coming in, and the likelihood that Lander will also be in Bloomington this fall... will equate to more wins and jump in the standings.

This is finally a good argument from you. I guess you’ve been implying this all along maybe??

I see, and it’s backed up by KenPom ratings, NCAA berths, etc... I see foundational improvements that will pay long term dividends. Those payoffs do need to start coming with more wins very soon though. I agree on that. I guess I’m just more sure what I saw this year, the nature of our roster, the new guys coming in, and the likelihood that Lander will also be in Bloomington this fall... will equate to more wins and jump in the standings.
It’s what I’ve been saying regularly, and you and others have walked briskly past it in furtherance of your agenda. Again, in context, IU has fallen back, not progressed.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT