ADVERTISEMENT

Cuban asks Cal to renew IU/UK series

jimmygoiu

All-American
Sep 5, 2001
Dallas Mavericks owner Mark Cuban - an Indiana fan - asked John Calipari to renew the UK vs. IU series.
Calipari recommends game at Dallas’ American Airlines Center, Cuban says he’s interested.

Possibility of a return to Bloomington?
“Without fans, I’m in.”

With Crean and Surfboard Fred gone, let's renew this series at a neutral site. Cal said he would play every year at Lucas Oil - perfect place to play.

Dallas Mavericks owner Mark Cuban - an Indiana fan - asked John Calipari to renew the UK vs. IU series.
Calipari recommends game at Dallas’ American Airlines Center, Cuban says he’s interested.

Possibility of a return to Bloomington?
“Without fans, I’m in.”

With Crean and Surfboard Fred gone, let's renew this series at a neutral site. Cal said he would play every year at Lucas Oil - perfect place to play.

"Without fans I am in."

I went and found the story, they are talking no fans anywhere...but my point about how much it was blown out of proportion how the fans were at that game is some China level propaganda.

"Without fans I am in."

I went and found the story, they are talking no fans anywhere...but my point about how much it was blown out of proportion how the fans were at that game is some China level propaganda.
he was joking lol

"Without fans I am in."

I’m not sure why anyone believes it was blown out of proportion, but what does it matter now? If IU wants the series renewed, it’s clear UK will only agree to games at neutral sites. IU needs to decide if that’s acceptable and either move forward or not. It’s always been that simple, and it remains so.

Were you around to remember when the games were at neutral sites? UK has no business pretending IU fans were out of line. When was the last time a large portion of our fan base sent death threats to refs, again?

I’m not sure why anyone believes it was blown out of proportion, but what does it matter now? If IU wants the series renewed, it’s clear UK will only agree to games at neutral sites. IU needs to decide if that’s acceptable and either move forward or not. It’s always been that simple, and it remains so.

Were you around to remember when the games were at neutral sites? UK has no business pretending IU fans were out of line. When was the last time a large portion of our fan base sent death threats to refs, again?
I went to plenty of IU-UK games in the Hoosier Dome and, though UK didn’t consider it neutral, the teams played in Freedom Hall, as well. I even attended an IU-UCLA game in St. Louis, as well as a BT playoff game between IU and UM.

UK fans behaving horribly toward a ref after their tournament loss isn’t reflective of whether IU fans were poorly behaved when UK visited Bloomington (some fans clearly were out of line).

This, I'm tired of talking about Kentucky. Either play them at a neutral site or move on, it's really that simple.

This, I'm tired of talking about Kentucky. Either play them at a neutral site or move on, it's really that simple.

yep. I liked it better when it was neutral site anyways. Make it Lucas Oil every year. Or heck Freedom Hall every year if you’re scared of Calipari coming to the Indy recruiting grounds every year. I don’t think that matters at all. Cal recruits how he recruits, having him/them in Indy for 1 day isn’t going to change that. If there’s an elite kid he wants from Indy, he’ll have already laid out “the program” for that kid. If a kid doesn’t know about Cal and UK and “discovers” them because he comes to their backyard...he’s likely not on UK, or IUs, radar.

Every year in Lucas Oil. Make the crowd modest enough to guarantee even split. 30000 maybe? Make it early in the year. Before the Maui like tournaments.

Yes. I went to every game at Freedom Hall and at the Hoosier/RCA Dome. My favorite game was Damon Bailey's senior year, a big upset and Damon made the cover of SI. The Mike Davis meltdown at Freedom Hall was epic. I am ALL IN on resuming the series at a neutral court (Cal was willing to play every game at Lucas Oil). The atmosphere is awesome, with 40,000 fans evenly divided, on national TV. Hey, the neutral site was fine by Knight, but not for Surfboard and TanTommy. Let's play UK!

Yes. I went to every game at Freedom Hall and at the Hoosier/RCA Dome. My favorite game was Damon Bailey's senior year, a big upset and Damon made the cover of SI. The Mike Davis meltdown at Freedom Hall was epic. I am ALL IN on resuming the series at a neutral court (Cal was willing to play every game at Lucas Oil). The atmosphere is awesome, with 40,000 fans evenly divided, on national TV. Hey, the neutral site was fine by Knight, but not for Surfboard and TanTommy. Let's play UK!

Yep. It was awesome watching Bailey single handedly beat the vaunted UK press.

Reactions: jimmygoiu

Personally, I could never really figure out why the site mattered so much -- because Cal wanted to have a semi-regular presence in Indy for recruiting exposure...and IU, naturally, didn't want him to? Is that the long and short of it? If so, that's stupid. Think what you want about John Calipari, the guy recruits the entire country -- and pretty successfully, too. Having or not having a bi-annual game in Indianapolis isn't going to have a material effect on anything.

I'd love to see the series renewed, of course. And, personally, I couldn't care less where they hold the games. I kinda liked it when they alternated between the Hoosier/RCA Dome and Freedom Hall. If I have any problem with it, it's that I suspect it would be kind of a one-sided series these days....which is unfortunate.

Personally, I could never really figure out why the site mattered so much -- because Cal wanted to have a semi-regular presence in Indy for recruiting exposure...and IU, naturally, didn't want him to? Is that the long and short of it? If so, that's stupid. Think what you want about John Calipari, the guy recruits the entire country -- and pretty successfully, too. Having or not having a bi-annual game in Indianapolis isn't going to have a material effect on anything.

I'd love to see the series renewed, of course. And, personally, I couldn't care less where they hold the games. I kinda liked it when they alternated between the Hoosier/RCA Dome and Freedom Hall. If I have any problem with it, it's that I suspect it would be kind of a one-sided series these days....which is unfortunate.
It’s been pretty one sided for a couple of decades. As for Calipari, I think he’s decided how many games he wants to play in opposing arenas, and there’s very little value in them playing in Bloomington. They would typically be favored, so any victory would be expected. If they lose, however, it’s a big deal, and they’re trying to build a resume. Think ND v. IU in football. We would play them anywhere, but they would never come to Bloomington. They don’t have to.

Big / neutral venues create profile, and they’ll always be a fan of that. And, as difficult as it is to admit, they don’t need IU. No one is clamoring for this, and their fans don’t care if we play or not. I think plenty of IU fans would like it, but it’s a bigger deal for us than it is them.

Reactions: RunninRichie

I don’t know if it would be going forward. They’ve not been Anthony Davis UK for awhile. And we’re getting back to being solid.

The game these next couple years would likely be great as examples.

I agree on the location thing. Might help us actually to have an elite level game in Indy? Maybe draw some of the top talent Indy area kids to the game. Maybe some of them will hang around the shoot arounds/locker room, that normally wouldn’t have made a visit? Who knows.

I can’t see how it would have any effect with UK. Someone like Michigan or Ohio State? That isn’t as nationally established? Maybe?

I don’t know if it would be going forward. They’ve not been Anthony Davis UK for awhile.

OK, I agree that the past few seasons have been slightly down from their best under Calipari. But not that much. They still ended up this past season in the Top 10 -- the year before, too.

And we’re getting back to being solid.

Well, I'd like to believe that and I certainly hope you turn out to be right. But we certainly haven't proven it to this point.

OK, I agree that the past few seasons have been slightly down from their best under Calipari. But not that much. They still ended up this past season in the Top 10 -- the year before,

Well, I'd like to believe that and I certainly hope you turn out to be right. But we certainly haven't proven it to this point.

They’d be good games.

Yes, we’re going to be solid.

They’re not what they used to be. Duke has cut into their abilities to get ALL the top kids every year. And many of them end up leaving anyway. If they get a few kids to stick around for a year or two, then they’ll make a run again. But that hasn’t happened. They’ll play in high profile preconference games. Win some, lose some. They’ll have good conference records because the bottom of the SEC has more teams.

But I’ll be shocked if they have any more teams like they had 7-8 years ago...again. If for no other reason than Duke won’t allow it to happen.

So...the games will likely be competitive. And certainly would be next year and the year after.

I didn’t say IU was gonna won the Big Ten. They don’t have to, to be solid, and be competitive with UK.

I don't think that it would be "one-sided", at all. IU is in the "grow old, stay old" mode, and arrive there in the 20-21 season. IU would have a veteran team most years, playing a very talented but young UK team in early December. I believe that IU more than holds its' own against UK from here on out. Let's play!

Reactions: MrBing
Outside of the rivalry with Louisville, Cal won't do home-and-home series with any school. He believes in preparing his team to play in the NCAA Tournament by scheduling games at neutral sites such as T-Mobile Arena, Barclays Center, etc.

It's really a shame he won't do home-and-home series.

The only way I'd ever favor renewing the series without games in Bloomington/Lexington is if it was at Lucas Oil Stadium or Bankers Life Fieldhouse every season.

I don't think that it would be "one-sided", at all. IU is in the "grow old, stay old" mode, and arrive there in the 20-21 season. IU would have a veteran team most years, playing a very talented but young UK team in early December. I believe that IU more than holds its' own against UK from here on out. Let's play!

I appreciate your optimism, even if I don't really share it. In any case, let's not count our chickens before they hatch. And, despite my belief that it would be a one-sided series, I'm still very much in favor of it happening. It was one of the game's best rivalries at one point.

Outside of the rivalry with Louisville, Cal won't do home-and-home series with any school. He believes in preparing his team to play in the NCAA Tournament by scheduling games at neutral sites such as T-Mobile Arena, Barclays Center, etc.

It's really a shame he won't do home-and-home series.

The only way I'd ever favor renewing the series without games in Bloomington/Lexington is if it was at Lucas Oil Stadium or Bankers Life Fieldhouse every season.

Just out of curiosity, why do you care where it's played? I mean....do you have a problem playing the Crossroads Classic in Indy? They could alternate the game between the Speedway and Churchill Downs, for all I care. It really doesn't make any difference to me.

But, that said, I do seem to recall Calipari saying once that he'd be fine having it in Indy every year. But, if it's true that IU's hangup has been giving Kentucky more recruiting exposure in Indy, wouldn't having it there every year only exacerbate that?

It’s been pretty one sided for a couple of decades. As for Calipari, I think he’s decided how many games he wants to play in opposing arenas, and there’s very little value in them playing in Bloomington. They would typically be favored, so any victory would be expected. If they lose, however, it’s a big deal, and they’re trying to build a resume. Think ND v. IU in football. We would play them anywhere, but they would never come to Bloomington. They don’t have to.

Big / neutral venues create profile, and they’ll always be a fan of that. And, as difficult as it is to admit, they don’t need IU. No one is clamoring for this, and their fans don’t care if we play or not. I think plenty of IU fans would like it, but it’s a bigger deal for us than it is them.
You are a gigantic turd.

"Without fans I am in."

I have a very good friend who was faculty at KY and was injured by IU fans at the game. We should be ashamed that this would happen to anyone. And yes, I am a Native Hooiser with 2 degrees from IU so don't even go there. And yes hurryin76hoosier is 100% correct, they don't need us.

They’d be good games.

Yes, we’re going to be solid.

They’re not what they used to be. Duke has cut into their abilities to get ALL the top kids every year. And many of them end up leaving anyway. If they get a few kids to stick around for a year or two, then they’ll make a run again. But that hasn’t happened. They’ll play in high profile preconference games. Win some, lose some. They’ll have good conference records because the bottom of the SEC has more teams.

But I’ll be shocked if they have any more teams like they had 7-8 years ago...again. If for no other reason than Duke won’t allow it to happen.

So...the games will likely be competitive. And certainly would be next year and the year after.

I didn’t say IU was gonna won the Big Ten. They don’t have to, to be solid, and be competitive with UK.
keep living in fantasy land

You guys better hope Duke doesn’t decide to come after your sisters and cousins too. Gonna be long, lonely winters down in the holler.
Indiana fans can’t talk basketball without bringing up some cheesy southern inbreeding joke,I guess i’d do it as well if my team hasn’t won anything or been relevant since the cold war ended. Duke isn’t stealing anybody from us the only generational talent they’ve nabbed from us is Zion and they lost in the elite eight. Sounds like wishful thinking from a cornbilly

Indiana fans can’t talk basketball without bringing up some cheesy southern inbreeding joke,I guess i’d do it as well if my team hasn’t won anything or been relevant since the cold war ended. Duke isn’t stealing anybody from us the only generational talent they’ve nabbed from us is Zion and they lost in the elite eight. Sounds like wishful thinking from a cornbilly

My favorite G League team is the Mad Antz. They don’t pay their guys as much as you guys though, so it’s been frustrating.

My favorite college team is IU. They’ve sucked a lot lately. But I still love them. And I’m excited about where they’re going. Who’s your favorite college team?

My favorite G League team is the Mad Antz. They don’t pay their guys as much as you guys though, so it’s been frustrating.

My favorite college team is IU. They’ve sucked a lot lately. But I still love them. And I’m excited about where they’re going. Who’s your favorite college team?
IU fans still saying we pay players? that’s funny UK a national brand and powerhouse has to pay players... you guys don’t learn do you? keep those 5 musty pieces of cloth as your avatar you won’t have to update it ever!

indiana was a flash in the pan Knight made you and Knight killed you.

IU fans still saying we pay players? that’s funny UK a national brand and powerhouse has to pay players... you guys don’t learn do you? keep those 5 musty pieces of cloth as your avatar you won’t have to update it ever!

indiana was a flash in the pan Knight made you and Knight killed you.

Ha ha. If only it were just IU fans.

It’s cool. I ain’t got much of a comeback with regards to IU. They’ve been mediocre for 30 years.

But you’re here for some reason. And I love making fun of cheaters.

You like where IU is going? We’ve made the NCAA tournament 4 times since 2008. Never past the Sweet 16. You like that trajectory?

You like where IU is going? We’ve made the NCAA tournament 4 times since 2008. Never past the Sweet 16. You like that trajectory?

Yep. I like where the current coach has us going. It’s an upward trend. And it feels like it has very strong roots. Haven’t felt that since the early 90s. Need to see some better results though, yes, I think we will.

thank you for being a realistic poster
I just hate the bias from any fan base. And no one here loves IU more than I do. Graduated from there as well as a lot of my family. Season tickets for years. I LOVE IU.

But I’m also realistic and I prefer to talk from a realistic point of view. IU has been a dumpster fire in basketball for going on 20 years. Now we have our version of John Groce. I want to see better and I know most IU fans agree with me.

Ha ha. If only it were just IU fans.

It’s cool. I ain’t got much of a comeback with regards to IU. They’ve been mediocre for 30 years.

But you’re here for some reason. And I love making fun of cheaters.
any proof that cal pays!? and before you say “he got two schools put on probation” Cal self reported Camby taking money from an agent and Rose was cleared by the NCAA before being investigated again and was cleared of all wrong doing in NCAA reports. Now where is the proof Kentucky pays? surely it isn’t because UK is known for putting players in the NBA and that’s why recruits come here, no it’s because UK a blueblood and national brand has to pay to get recruits! keep crying that we cheat why you go after the local 3 star recruit playing at some hick indiana high school in hopes that he’ll be the next Larry Bird because that’s the way Knight recruited!
except it’s not Knight got his fair share of mcdonald’s all americans

Indiana is stuck in the 80s.

before Knight, indiana had 2 rather anomalous titles (40, 53) under McCracken, and not much else.
From 1938-39 (McCrakens first year) until Knight arrived (71-72), they won all of 6 Big 10 titles, had 8 losing seasons, and- aside from the two championship years- won a total of 3 NCAA tournament games, all of them in regional consolation rounds.

Then Knight arrived, and his first 16 years produced 3 titles and 4 Final Fours. Since then, two Final Fours in 33 years... and not much else.

The years before McCracken were even worse, with 13 losing seasons from the program's inception (1901) thru 1937, and only 3 Big 9/Big 10 titles.

indiana was a flash in the pan.

Reactions: choptalk
I just hate the bias from any fan base. And no one here loves IU more than I do. Graduated from there as well as a lot of my family. Season tickets for years. I LOVE IU.

But I’m also realistic and I prefer to talk from a realistic point of view. IU has been a dumpster fire in basketball for going on 20 years. Now we have our version of John Groce. I want to see better and I know most IU fans agree with me.
yeah I agree man keep posting you’re absolutely correct indiana has been garbage for nearly 30 years

Yep. I like where the current coach has us going. It’s an upward trend. And it feels like it has very strong roots. Haven’t felt that since the early 90s. Need to see some better results though, yes, I think we will.
Our Big Ten finishes:

2018: 6th
2019: 9th
2020: 11th

Our recruiting ranks have gone down every single year as well. His only good class was year 1.

I don’t know about this supposed upward trend.

Bias? Ha ha. Coming from you that’s rich. Yeah, I’m biased towards IU...and runnin’s a UK fan on our board. Busting his chops seems appropriate. Especially since he starts threads here with stuff like “sup”.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT