ADVERTISEMENT

Cronk no-longer enrolled at IU

I actually think the Sheridan experience will be about as fun as the Wommack experience. Nepotism promotions are what got Bobby Petrino fired at Louisville. And he’s a way better HC than Tom Allen is.

It is about trust. If you can get someone great, even a one year guy like DeBoer you take it. Especially if your guys need more mentoring (potential plan for a guy like Sheridan all along). BUT, if you look across the landscape of coordinators or potential coordinators and you don't see what you want THEN you look to the coaches you have groomed and spend countless hours with. That trust can push your guy ahead of other options.

You know that 'everyone' loves the Sheridan hire because that's what the articles say.

As with any hire, there are those that aren't that excited about it. Cronk has worked with Sheridan for 3 years - maybe he wasn't all that thrilled with him as OC. It's all just speculation, but the timing is suspect to me.

I cannot speak to everyone, but I went to the Christmas Eve bowl practice. It took place in the morning and immediately following guys were going home to family. Every QB and several other players went directly to Coach Sheridan embraced him, told him they loved him and to have a Merry Christmas. I only saw that with Coach Sheridan. So certainly many players love him and in the case of an OC maybe the most important position group, QB's.

I cannot speak to everyone, but I went to the Christmas Eve bowl practice. It took place in the morning and immediately following guys were going home to family. Every QB and several other players went directly to Coach Sheridan embraced him, told him they loved him and to have a Merry Christmas. I only saw that with Coach Sheridan. So certainly many players love him and in the case of an OC maybe the most important position group, QB's.
That's great and I'm glad the QBs like Sheridan.

But I was talking about Cronk maybe being dissatisfied with the pick. I don't know. But the timing is peculiar, in my opinion.

Reactions: red hornet
Looks like Sheridan was the man for OC all along?

What would stop him from starting a master program next fall semester?

Nothing, but Spring pratice starts in March. If I'm reading the IU academic calendar correctly, 1/19 was last "regular" day to sign up for Spring 2020 classes. Late fees after that. Classes start 3/9.

(Those are probably undergarduate dates - I have no idea if the graduate school calendars are different.)

Nothing, but Spring pratice starts in March. If I'm reading the IU academic calendar correctly, 1/19 was last "regular" day to sign up for Spring 2020 classes. Late fees after that. Classes start 3/9.

(Those are probably undergarduate dates - I have no idea if the graduate school calendars are different.)
I think your dates are all messed up. Classes have started. They don't start in March.

That was for the next 8 week session.

(But I doubt it makes a difference. This feels like an “over.”)
Eight week sessions? They do that now? I know they did that in summer sessions, but during the regular semesters as well?

That would have been hard to keep track of on my slate back in the day.

Reactions: vesuvius13
Eight week sessions? They do that now? I know they did that in summer sessions, but during the regular semesters as well?

That would have been hard to keep track of on my slate back in the day.

It’s crazy. Apparently we could sign up for a “regular” semester, an 8 week, and even a holiday session. Earn like 30 credits in 3 months.

No wonder these guys are graduating in two years.

Edit to add: It also lets the University sell more credit hours in a shorter period of time. Follow the money.

Yep.

Plus, they can earn credits with AP high school courses and tests before they even start.

And can enroll early.

And take on-line classes.

I think Cody Zeller technically graduated before he finished his second season. He brought AP credits, started in January, took Winter and Spring classes, summer classes, etc. By the time he played a single game in October, he had enough credits to almost be an academic junior!

Education is a big business worried about $$$ at the end of the day. Everything in this world is $$$ driven, disgusting.
Eight-week classes were common at IU when I was an undergrad in the late '70's. Most of them were 1 credit hour classes and you typically registered for them at the start of the semester. Some met the first eight weeks of the semester, some the second. I know for sure that I took two - maybe three. I took a required (or maybe recommended) study skills class for freshmen, and an education class that met for eight weeks after the completion of student teaching.

I took an individual history readings class with Prof. George Juergens (sp ?) one semester that might have been an eight-week course as well. He selected some books for me to read on urban history and I went in once a week to his office for discussion and oral quizzes.

I don't know what the setup is today, but it's likely that the eight-week classes are 1 or 2 credit courses, not full-blown 3-hour classes (unless they meet on an intensive schedule). They are always noted on the academic calendar so students know for sure when they have to start attending ( or when they finish).

Yep.

Plus, they can earn credits with AP high school courses and tests before they even start.

And can enroll early.

And take on-line classes.

I think Cody Zeller technically graduated before he finished his second season. He brought AP credits, started in January, took Winter and Spring classes, summer classes, etc. By the time he played a single game in October, he had enough credits to almost be an academic junior!

I don't think that was the case with Zeller: https://www.ncaa.com/news/basketbal...raduates-indiana-four-years-after-leaving-nba

Um...are you sure about that? If so, then do you have to be currently taking classes, to play? Because unless something has changed recently, I've seen 5th year seniors in the past that didn't take classes. had jobs, & played their senior year--perhaps they were registered students that weren't enrolled in any classes at that time? Idk, & good luck finding that answer on line. I've tried & tried, but I don't have the patience to look that deep into eligibiltiy rules to find an example of this situation. All you get is ":graduate transfer rules", despite attempting to specify repeatedly that the search does not involve a transfer.
You absolutely have to be enrolled as a full-time student (either undergrad or grad) in the current semester to be eligible. Those 5th-year guys you are talking about are for sure actively enrolled in classes, in a degree-granting program, making positive progress toward that degree.

I have no idea of Cronk's intentions, but theoretically he could re-enroll at IU either this summer or next fall and play his last year. If he isn't going to be medically cleared to participate full-go in the spring it might even be to his benefit to go this route and spend this semester rehabbing, working out and getting advice on his draft prospects, or even making some non-football related money.

You absolutely have to be enrolled as a full-time student (either undergrad or grad) in the current semester to be eligible. Those 5th-year guys you are talking about are for sure actively enrolled in classes, in a degree-granting program, making positive progress toward that degree.

I have no idea of Cronk's intentions, but theoretically he could re-enroll at IU either this summer or next fall and play his last year. If he isn't going to be medically cleared to participate full-go in the spring it might even be to his benefit to go this route and spend this semester rehabbing, working out and getting advice on his draft prospects, or even making some non-football related money.
Well 1 was my cousin, so unless he was..lying? Messing with me? Or something, Idk, but that has been awhile ago, so perhaps certain requirements have changed in some way since...2009. So, it must be commonplace for 5th year seniors with undergraduate degrees to enroll in graduate school for the specific purpose of playing with intentions to quit graduate school after the season? Surely some stay in grad school & pursue a graduate degree, but some you would think would enroll only to play. Just seems, sloppy, unless there's another path I'm not aware of, which is certainly possible too..

Um...are you sure about that? If so, then do you have to be currently taking classes, to play? Because unless something has changed recently, I've seen 5th year seniors in the past that didn't take classes. had jobs, & played their senior year--perhaps they were registered students that weren't enrolled in any classes at that time? Idk, & good luck finding that answer on line. I've tried & tried, but I don't have the patience to look that deep into eligibiltiy rules to find an example of this situation. All you get is ":graduate transfer rules", despite attempting to specify repeatedly that the search does not involve a transfer.
Well 1 was my cousin, so unless he was..lying? Messing with me? Or something, Idk, but that has been awhile ago, so perhaps certain requirements have changed in some way since...2009. So, it must be commonplace for 5th year seniors with undergraduate degrees to enroll in graduate school for the specific purpose of playing with intentions to quit graduate school after the season? Surely some stay in grad school & pursue a graduate degree, but some you would think would enroll only to play. Just seems, sloppy, unless there's another path I'm not aware of, which is certainly possible too..
Think about what you are saying...

What kind of system would allow an individual to play for a collegiate team while not being enrolled in that university?

I know the term "Student-Athlete" is getting more and more oxymoronic every day, but I do not believe the NCAA is that far gone...

Think about what you are saying...

What kind of system would allow an individual to play for a collegiate team while not being enrolled in that university?

I know the term "Student-Athlete" is getting more and more oxymoronic every day, but I do not believe the NCAA is that far gone...
Yes, think about what I'm saying: You've already graduated, you have 1 year of eligibility left, & you don't have any plans or wishes to continue school. Sorry, I just don't think it's THAT outlandish of a concept to not want to enter graduate school just to play football. & again, this is not my idea, I was told this was the case. Am I foolish to believe it, maybe, but this is the NCAA. They allow felons to coach & participate in NCAA athletics, so this wouldn't shock me. & as for "student athlete", if you've already have earned your degree, then doesn't it take on even a SLIGHTLY different context? I just don't think it's that crazy of an idea if you've already fulfilled your academic requirements..

Last edited:
Yes, think about what I'm saying: You've already graduated, you have 1 year of eligibility left, & you don't have any plans or wishes to continue school. Sorry, I just don't think it's THAT outlandish of a concept to not want to enter graduate school just to play football. & again, this is not my idea, I was told this was the case. Am I foolish to believe it, maybe, but this is the NCAA. They allow felons to coach & participate in NCAA athletics, so this wouldn't shock me. & as for "student athlete", if you've already have earned your degree, then doesn't it take on even a SLIGHTLY different context? I just don't think it's that crazy of an idea.
No.

Students now can complete an undergraduate degree in 2 years (see above).

You're saying they can play another 36 games without actually being enrolled at their university??

No.

No.

Students now can complete an undergraduate degree in 2 years (see above).

You're saying they can play another 36 games without actually being enrolled at their university??

No.
No, I'm not saying they can. I'm saying it wouldn't be the worst decision the NCAA has ever made if they allowed graduates to play without taking classes. I totally understand the point--they are student athletes--one of the most basic principles is that a player must be STUDENT, of all things. I get it. My point is that if someone already earned their degree...well whatever, you know what I said. It's irrelevant anyway, the rules are the rules.

No, I'm not saying they can. I'm saying it wouldn't be the worst decision the NCAA has ever made if they allowed graduates to play without taking classes. I totally understand the point--they are student athletes--one of the most basic principles is that a player must be STUDENT, of all things. I get it. My point is that if someone already earned their degree...well whatever, you know what I said. It's irrelevant anyway, the rules are the rules.
I think It would be the worst decision ever made by the NCAA and I hope it never happens.

What keeps SEC teams from "graduating" players early, and giving that scholarship to a new player? They'll have 85 on scholly, and 25+ more "graduates“ who don't have to take classes.

If his recovery is not complete, he would not be playing spring football. If he was going to “consider” the nfl, he probably would not play spring ball anyway.
There are still more questions than answers, but does “entering the transfer portal” give him more options, than staying “enrolled at IU”?

I don’t know it for a fact, since he has graduated, it would seem likely that the only stipulation of his eligibility for next fall is enrollment next fall At that school (and that he had not signed any professional contract).

If his recovery is not complete, he would not be playing spring football. If he was going to “consider” the nfl, he probably would not play spring ball anyway.
There are still more questions than answers, but does “entering the transfer portal” give him more options, than staying “enrolled at IU”?

I don’t know it for a fact, since he has graduated, it would seem likely that the only stipulation of his eligibility for next fall is enrollment next fall At that school (and that he had not signed any professional contract).
KInd of odd if he was really considering another school that he wouldn't be enrolled anywhere so he could participate in Spring ball.

My guess is he's prepping himself for NFL workouts. If he's not rehabbed by then or he's not performing well enough to get looks from teams, then I guess he could enroll somewhere in the fall, or summer, and still play in the Fall. The easiest transition, in that case, would be to come back to IU. But I'm sure some pretty good teams would take a chance on him - starting OTs don't grow on trees.

I think It would be the worst decision ever made by the NCAA and I hope it never happens.

What keeps SEC teams from "graduating" players early, and giving that scholarship to a new player? They'll have 85 on scholly, and 25+ more "graduates“ who don't have to take classes.
Well, in that imaginary scenario that's never going to happen, obviously if that player were on scholly prior to graduating his scholly couldn't go to another player as long as he's on the roster, but this is all conjecture anyway. I will say though ,with the NCAA...who the hell knows, I mean what's going on right now with this transfer nonsense is just...getting way out of hand.

Well, in that imaginary scenario that's never going to happen, obviously if that player were on scholly prior to graduating his scholly couldn't go to another player as long as he's on the roster, but this is all conjecture anyway. I will say though ,with the NCAA...who the hell knows, I mean what's going on right now with this transfer nonsense is just...getting way out of hand.
You think it's out of hand now, wait until the players start getting paid for their 'likeness'.

KInd of odd if he was really considering another school that he wouldn't be enrolled anywhere so he could participate in Spring ball.

My guess is he's prepping himself for NFL workouts. If he's not rehabbed by then or he's not performing well enough to get looks from teams, then I guess he could enroll somewhere in the fall, or summer, and still play in the Fall. The easiest transition, in that case, would be to come back to IU. But I'm sure some pretty good teams would take a chance on him - starting OTs don't grow on trees.
I would doubt he would want to play spring ball: 1. Why risk further injury. 2. Both school and spring ball might interfere with tryouts (or combine).
I would sure like him back at IU! But if you were TA, should you hold his Scholly?

Reactions: DANC
I would doubt he would want to play spring ball: 1. Why risk further injury. 2. Both school and spring ball might interfere with tryouts (or combine).
I would sure like him back at IU! But if you were TA, should you hold his Scholly?

Nope.

I'm old school - "no player or coach is bigger than the program"

I'm all for helping kids and LEO - but the coaches and AD have a duty to the program.
Fix it.
Make it strong.
Keep it strong.

Coy should shop his skills and his options, but its a 2 way street.

(On the other hand, I'm sure Allen already knows what he needs to know. And we're offering JUCO OL's, which tells ME what I need to know.)

Nope.

I'm old school - "no player or coach is bigger than the program"

I'm all for helping kids and LEO - but the coaches and AD have a duty to the program.
Fix it.
Make it strong.
Keep it strong.

Coy should shop his skills and his options, but its a 2 way street.

(On the other hand, I'm sure Allen already knows what he needs to know. And we're offering JUCO OL's, which tells ME what I need to know.)
Yeah, that's the first thing I thought when I read about the JUCO offer.

Right, CTA mentioned he needed some OL balance with some JUCO's. filling in the depth chart.

Remember, it CAN always get worse, and given that we ARE talking about the NCAA, it most likely will.

For example, U*NC.

For example, go loiter a bit on fan forums for historical powerhouse programs not presently at the top of the heap (e.g., Tennessee, Michigan). Witness how their fans can hardly wait until the schools can start employing their “money cannons” under NIL.

I love it; I hope it gets even worse.

If I were a betting man, I would put my money on Cronk not wanting to play guard and realizing that he couldn't crack the starting rotation for either tackle position for Indiana.

That means we have two pretty darn good tackles in Jones and Bedford. The question is why wouldn't Cronk want to come back to a fairly loaded team and be the starting guard. If someone told him his NFL position is T, he got mediocre advice would be my opinion.

If I were a betting man, I would put my money on Cronk not wanting to play guard and realizing that he couldn't crack the starting rotation for either tackle position for Indiana.
Something went south, that's for sure. A four year starter and team captain just doesn't bail like this without there being some serious reason. He sure doesn't owe any of us an explanation, but I do hope his teammates and coaches understand why he's leaving.

Something went south, that's for sure. A four year starter and team captain just doesn't bail like this without there being some serious reason. He sure doesn't owe any of us an explanation, but I do hope his teammates and coaches understand why he's leaving.
Pretty sure his teammates and coaches know. They at least know more than we do.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT