ADVERTISEMENT

Cronk no-longer enrolled at IU

I think he's going to go Pro. Probably training right now.
I hope that's the deal. Will he get an invite to the combine? If so, we've seen dudes skyrocket up the draft boards by training specifically to the combine measurables. Could be a really smart move for him.

If he simply transfers to another school, I don't know if I can understand that. Universally respected senior leader here vs starting from scratch somewhere else?

Reactions: td75 and vesuvius13
I agree, it doesn't make sense. The only thing that comes to my mind is he doesn't like Hiller or Allen or both.

Or doesn't like the idea of sliding over to guard after three seasons at tackle??? . I think it would be a good move for him showing NFL scouts that he would be a versatile OL at the next level and handle multiple positions. Being an undrafted free agent is a hard road to take to the NFL. Most fail but it can happen. The biggest plus is that you can control to a degree which team you sign with. Let's hope it works out for him.

It it's something of that nature, I'd go more with a dissatisfaction with the OC choice - his entry into the Portal and OC announcement came at the same time.
The only problem with that theory is that everyone loves the Sheridan hire. Literally everyone. Why would Cronk be the only one?

Reactions: vesuvius13
The only problem with that theory is that everyone loves the Sheridan hire. Literally everyone. Why would Cronk be the only one?
You know that 'everyone' loves the Sheridan hire because that's what the articles say.

As with any hire, there are those that aren't that excited about it. Cronk has worked with Sheridan for 3 years - maybe he wasn't all that thrilled with him as OC. It's all just speculation, but the timing is suspect to me.

My guess (and that's all it is), is that he didn't want to split any time at Left Tackle and thought he'd most likely be used extensively at G (here) and he sees himself (understandably) as a starting Left Tackle, either here, elsewhere, or in the NFL...

He may be right...

Hard to fault him in any way. He gave everything he had and then some while he was part of our Team.

I wish him the best (except when/if our guys line up against him)

I always thought his skills appeared to fit the NFL Guard slot better but I'm no NFL Scout, so what do I know...

I actually think the Sheridan experience will be about as fun as the Wommack experience. Nepotism promotions are what got Bobby Petrino fired at Louisville. And he’s a way better HC than Tom Allen is.

I actually think the Sheridan experience will be about as fun as the Wommack experience. Nepotism promotions are what got Bobby Petrino fired at Louisville. And he’s a way better HC than Tom Allen is.

In all fairness, there are a TON of teams that have family and friends plans in place. Many head coaches have their own brothers in key roles as coordinators. Largely, it is a profession of networking. So many of these coaches hire guys they worked with before. In the case of new coaching staffs, the head guy often brings many coaches with him from his prior stop.

Wommack experience - didn't the ranking of the D improve from the previous year, and that was with a lot on new young players?
I look for our D to be very much improved next year.

The only thing that makes any kind of sense is that he has his sights set on pro ball. After suffering a season ending injury early on, he probably concluded that a football career is very short and giving another year at the collegiate level is not a smart career move.

I'm actually surprised these guys stick around as long as they do, particularly once they're 21. If they truly have NFL talents, get out there and make some money because the window is SMALL.

Not sure that you know how college football staffs are put together. Usually you are going to hire someone you know. You usually don’t hire guys that you have not coached with. If you do you call guys you have worked with who may know the guy. Not really a good idea. I remember when Jimmy Johnson first got to Miami he retained the defensive coordinator . That guy used to distrust meetings by by continuously dropping his keys on the table or banging his pen on the table or other things. These guys spend a lot of time together and it necessary that they are able to work together

Not sure that you know how college football staffs are put together. Usually you are going to hire someone you know. You usually don’t hire guys that you have not coached with. If you do you call guys you have worked with who may know the guy. Not really a good idea. I remember when Jimmy Johnson first got to Miami he retained the defensive coordinator . That guy used to distrust meetings by by continuously dropping his keys on the table or banging his pen on the table or other things. These guys spend a lot of time together and it necessary that they are able to work together
It did work with Deboer - an out of the IU box hire.

Nepotism was not what got Bobby Petrino fired at Louisville.

Louisville - as an institution - was mess at all levels. Toss in politics, personal grudges, and lots of money, and you had a perfect storm. They are lucky they didn’t lose them all.

It it's something of that nature, I'd go more with a dissatisfaction with the OC choice - his entry into the Portal and OC announcement came at the same time.

An O-lineman transferring because of the Coordinator? Don’t let the door hit you in the ass. And I’m sure that’s not the case.

But a lot of research went into the hire .
Yes. That is very true.

And now that I think about it. I wonder if Deboer knew in 2018 that Tedford was wanting to retire in a year. They may have contrived to get Deboer one year of P5 OC experience and reached out to the coaching community. Deboer is then hired at Indiana, is very successful, Tedford steps down, and Deboer comes back to Fresno.

Got to see those DeBoer teams twice in person. Once in National Championship game . They beat St Francis 23-19. My brothers defense held them to 214 yards total offense. Then lost in National Semifinal at Sioux Falls it -1 wind chill wind blowing into your face the whole game. I know St Francis beat Lambuth a couple of times but CTA was not there at the time.

An O-lineman transferring because of the Coordinator? Don’t let the door hit you in the ass. And I’m sure that’s not the case.
Do you have inside info you're not revealing?

I liked his grit, he started from FR year and I was truly hoping he'd come back as a G and be huge part of OL next season. He is 100% allowed to make his own choices and while I hope his decision is to go pro (on his own accord) versus going to play for another college (esp Iowa St or PU?) But can't hold any grudges, he did pour his heart into IU. Wish him the best.

And with an open spot on the roster, may the coaches (esp new one from IMG) have some success filling any spots for this year or hold back for more next!

The kid has his degree.

I guess the way to investigate ALL options is to talk to the NFL, talk to other schools and talk to IU.

Exactly. He would be doing himself a disservice to not. He is giving himself as many options as possible. He may love IU, but let's say he gets the option to be a startling lineman for an Alabama or an LSU type of team, that would be hard to pass up.

ADVERTISEMENT