ADVERTISEMENT

Creation science bill in Indiana legislature

outside shooter

Hall of Famer
Gold Member
Oct 23, 2001
What's next, "teach all sides" of the gravity debate? or the germ theory of disease debate?

Are we going to mandate ignorance in the public schools?

https://ncse.com/news/2019/01/creat...xy2gQi_Fv2r0lFENJmei3tFzuUxA5zCca_iWmKg81BmKg

---
Indiana's Senate Bill 373 would, if enacted, provide that "[t]he governing body of a school corporation may require the teaching of various theories concerning the origin of life, including creation science, within the school corporation." The bill was introduced on January 10, 2019, and referred to the Senate Committee on Education and Career Development.

The sponsor of the bill, Dennis Kruse (R-District 14), has a long history of sponsoring antievolution legislation.

The teaching of "creation science"* in the public schools was ruled to be unconstitutional by a federal court in McLean v. Arkansas (1982) and by the Supreme Court in Edwards v. Aguillard (1987); the legal director of the ACLU of Indiana observed, of SB 89 in 2012, that the bill is clearly unconstitutional and would invite litigation.

* quotation marks are sorely needed here, since science has nothing to do with it

What's next, "teach all sides" of the gravity debate? or the germ theory of disease debate?

https://ncse.com/news/2019/01/creat...xy2gQi_Fv2r0lFENJmei3tFzuUxA5zCca_iWmKg81BmKg

---
Indiana's Senate Bill 373 would, if enacted, provide that "[t]he governing body of a school corporation may require the teaching of various theories concerning the origin of life, including creation science, within the school corporation." The bill was introduced on January 10, 2019, and referred to the Senate Committee on Education and Career Development.

The sponsor of the bill, Dennis Kruse (R-District 14), has a long history of sponsoring antievolution legislation.

The teaching of "creation science"* in the public schools was ruled to be unconstitutional by a federal court in McLean v. Arkansas (1982) and by the Supreme Court in Edwards v. Aguillard (1987); the legal director of the ACLU of Indiana observed, of SB 89 in 2012, that the bill is clearly unconstitutional and would invite litigation.

* quotation marks are sorely needed here, since science has nothing to do with it
Indiana is becoming the Alabama of Kentuckys.

---

Any slackjaw legislator can introduce a bill....

Any slackjaw legislator can introduce a bill....

I agree, and I have to think that we Hoosiers have more common sense than this. I have to believe that we can accept, even protect, religion without having to teach it's dogma in our public schools as part of the curriculum. I was raised in the Catholic Church but solidly now agnostic and am a libertarian leaning conservative. I have zero quarrel with one's religious choices, so long as they keep them their personal choices, and they don't pose an imminent danger to others. But even when I was a good Catholic boy and young man, I would have opposed something like this. There is no place for creationism to be taught as an alternative in our public schools and I would hope that even the most ardent believers of our legislature and citizenry could step back and realize the same. I have no problem with creationism being taught in a private religious school setting or in churches, mosques, temples and synagogues...but in the name of all that is holy keep it out of our public schools..

I agree, and I have to think that we Hoosiers have more common sense than this. I have to believe that we can accept, even protect, religion without having to teach it's dogma in our public schools as part of the curriculum. I was raised in the Catholic Church but solidly now agnostic and am a libertarian leaning conservative. I have zero quarrel with one's religious choices, so long as they keep them their personal choices, and they don't pose an imminent danger to others. But even when I was a good Catholic boy and young man, I would have opposed something like this. There is no place for creationism to be taught as an alternative in our public schools and I would hope that even the most ardent believers of our legislature and citizenry could step back and realize the same. I have no problem with creationism being taught in a private religious school setting or in churches, mosques, temples and synagogues...but in the name of all that is holy keep it out of our public schools..

Catholic schools don't even teach this nonsense.

Catholic schools don't even teach this nonsense.

True. It (creation and the book of Genesis) was taught in Catholic schools when I attended, but as part of our spiritual/religious studies and not creation science or as some kind of alternative to evolution. Evolution and Big Bang Theory was part of our actual curriculum in Catholic schools in the 70's and 80's.

Reactions: twenty02

---

As always, it's never just about some extremist politician. It's the people that support him. Kruse got elected. And oh yeah, he's been UNOPPOSED for two consecutive elections.

Can we get one of our legislative Einsteins working on a flat earth geography theory. Gotta have both sides.

Reactions: sglowrider
This stuff has to be "taught" or it would be lost in a generation.

Reactions: UncleMark
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT