ADVERTISEMENT

Covid musings

kkott

Hall of Famer
Oct 26, 2001
Does anyone here know anything about the reporting of covid cases by states? I live in SC, which has a twit Republican Trump bootlicker Gov and our state has been pretty open since May. The last 2 nights I've eaten in restaurants that were functioning pretty normally, although they may have removed a few tables, but not noticeable. Not many visible masks on diners. But, I work in NC with a Dem Gov that has been much more conservative in the approach with mask mandates, limits of 10 on gatherings, etc... and much more aggressive in promoting restrictions. Still, per the attached CDC map, their rate of infection is higher than SC. Neighboring states with a high amount of cross traffic. My question is, what role does the state gov't play in reporting of #s? It's not overly supportive of restrictions if the reported #s are accurate and I struggle to come up with an explanation. I suppose the SC population is a bit more rural, or at least less urban, but then some of the highest rates of infection are out in the western states. Hard to make sense of the #s.

CDC State #s

... and for those of you that actually put some thought into a response, this is for you:

nurse-Lead-01a.jpg

Does anyone here know anything about the reporting of covid cases by states? I live in SC, which has a twit Republican Trump bootlicker Gov and our state has been pretty open since May. The last 2 nights I've eaten in restaurants that were functioning pretty normally, although they may have removed a few tables, but not noticeable. Not many visible masks on diners. But, I work in NC with a Dem Gov that has been much more conservative in the approach with mask mandates, limits of 10 on gatherings, etc... and much more aggressive in promoting restrictions. Still, per the attached CDC map, their rate of infection is higher than SC. Neighboring states with a high amount of cross traffic. My question is, what role does the state gov't play in reporting of #s? It's not overly supportive of restrictions if the reported #s are accurate and I struggle to come up with an explanation. I suppose the SC population is a bit more rural, or at least less urban, but then some of the highest rates of infection are out in the western states. Hard to make sense of the #s.

CDC State #s

... and for those of you that actually put some thought into a response, this is for you:

nurse-Lead-01a.jpg
I don’t know I only look at pictures.

So the CDC said it’s likely the actual number of people to have had covid is 8 times higher than what’s been reported. If that’s even a little accurate some of these states would be getting into the 30-40% of the entire population infected. At some point your numbers have to start going down if that percentage has already had it. Or is that way too simplistic thinking?

SC for example would potentially be at be an overall rate of 34%
NC would be 28%.

It’ll be interesting to see how South Dakota looks in a couple months. Using the 8 times rule, they’re at a staggering %. If their covid basically drops to nothing by the spring, you’ll know the 8 times is pretty darn accurate.

Last edited:
So the CDC said it’s likely the actual number of people to have had covid is 8 times higher than what’s been reported. If that’s even a little accurate some of these states would be getting into the 30-40% of the entire population infected. At some point your numbers have to start going down if that percentage has already had it. Or is that way too simplistic thinking?

NC would be 28%.

It’ll be interesting to see how South Dakota looks in a couple months. Using the 8 times rule, they’re at a staggering %. If their covid basically drops to nothing by the spring, you’ll know the 8 times is pretty darn accurate.
I suspect a lot more people have had it and didn't even know it. The virus seems to be pretty contagious. The idea of flattening the curve was a good idea in case hospitals would have lots of patients coming in. They on the most part have not been overburdened even losing money because lesser procedures were stopped in fear of the virus. For instance We had a guy in our church who had to wait four months to get his neck surgery because of the hold.

...They on the most part have not been overburdened even losing money because lesser procedures were stopped in fear of the virus...

You can be overburdened and be in financial dire straights at the same time. 100,000+ people hospitalized with COVID is overburdening the system.

Reactions: UncleMark

CDC State #s

nurse-Lead-01a.jpg
here's a link. Click on USA to see the states.
Coronavirus Update (Live): 65,892,936 Cases and 1,518,338 Deaths from COVID-19 Virus Pandemic - Worldometer (worldometers.info)

Reactions: outside shooter
I would imagine that a lot of people have had it and weren't tested. I had a sore throat and dry cough the week before last while Mrs. hooky has had a fever and fatigue for the better part of a week now. I'm assuming we had/have it. I'll wait to see the results of my test, but Mrs. hooky isn't interested in getting tested. A co worker's wife tested positive, he's waiting on his results and it's the same symptoms as ours. We're both hoping we had it, with the idea that at least we can stop worrying about the shit and get on with at least some of our lives. It sounds like the vaccines induce symptoms worse than what I experienced (assuming I'm positive).

It sounds like the vaccines induce symptoms worse than what I experienced (assuming I'm positive).
For the Pfizer/BioNTech vaccine, the most severe side effects included fatigue (3.8%) and headache (2%).

Your odds of having no noticable symptoms at all after taking the Pfizer vaccine are better than the odds of Steve Alford, in his prime, making a free throw.

For the Pfizer/BioNTech vaccine, the most severe side effects included fatigue (3.8%) and headache (2%).

Your odds of having no noticable symptoms at all after taking the Pfizer vaccine are better than the odds of Steve Alford, in his prime, making a free throw.
I get it. My point was that the symptoms I'm dealing with (assuming I'm positive) aren't as bad as some of the side effects of some of the vaccines.

Regardless of the odds of having adverse effects, there are still healthcare leaders taking the chances of it happening pretty seriously.
https://www.bloomberg.com/news/arti...es-could-bench-health-care-workers-amid-surge

NC would be 28%.

No, I think you're thinking is exactly right, but 8X seems awfully high to me. I heard an epidemiologist on NPR a couple weeks ago and he said if relying on herd immunity it would take nearly 50% of the population to be exposed before you'd start seeing appreciable drops in infection rates and his estimate was that no more than 10% of the population had been exposed. Even that seems high to me, as I still know very few folks who have had it, but maybe there are that many asymptomatic folks out there.

CDC State #s

nurse-Lead-01a.jpg
are you on the beach? i suspect it's a reporting issue and priorities. the boardwalk in myrtle has way worse shit than covid.

This thread sucks. Needs more naughty nurses or move it to the cooler. Youre making me anxious.
Have you hobbled over to Deviate and filled your growlers yet?

That'll be way better for your anxiety than a Blink album cover.

Have you hobbled over to Deviate and filled your growlers yet?

That'll be way better for your anxiety than a Blink album cover.
My kids are driving me nuts, that might be a nice walk on a cold night to cool my nerves.

are you on the beach? i suspect it's a reporting issue and priorities. the boardwalk in myrtle has way worse shit than covid.
Nope in Rock Hill... essentially a suburb of Charlotte. I have a 15 minute commute to my office that's just across the state line in S Charlotte. Watch all Charlotte news. Right now I think in NC bars can only serve outside... down here in SC, it's pretty much business as usual.

Nope in Rock Hill... essentially a suburb of Charlotte. I have a 15 minute commute to my office that's just across the state line in S Charlotte. Watch all Charlotte news. Right now I think in NC bars can only serve outside... down here in SC, it's pretty much business as usual.
Got it! Home of Winthrop.

Got it! Home of Winthrop.
Si', Winthrop Eagles, and at one time Gregg Marshall. One of their assistants used to live a couple doors down from me, but he moved on to William and Mary. Sadly, he took his wife, she of the lovely running tights, with him.

37bad099c2b698a5323406c2b1c12e3d.jpg

Last edited:
SI, Winthrop Eagles, and at one time Gregg Marshall. One of their assistants used to live a couple doors down from me, but he moved on to William and Mary. Sadly, he took his wife, she of the lovely running tights, with him.

37bad099c2b698a5323406c2b1c12e3d.jpg
Lol nice!!!

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT