ADVERTISEMENT

Could the movie "Airplane!" be made today?

If we are so certain Airplane could not be made, can anyone point to efforts to remove Airplane from streaming services? If people would be so offended by that humor it seems there would be evidence of groups fighting the original.

They did on Blazing Saddles which is why they now air something at the beginning to tell the viewer the racists are being made fun of. No such opening has been added to Airplane, and Blazing Saddles is still shown.

But, but, but...comedy is dead! Lenny Bruce got "cancelled". Studios just stopped wanting to invest millions in David Zucker because he stopped being funny enough. Did you ever see Baseketball? Or Scary Movie 5? Enough studio execs did to know he'd lost too many miles on his comedy fastball.

But, but, but...comedy is dead! Lenny Bruce got "cancelled". Studios just stopped wanting to invest millions in David Zucker because he stopped being funny enough. Did you ever see Baseketball? Or Scary Movie 5? Enough studio execs did to know he'd lost too many miles on his comedy fastball.

There is a chart at the site below, when ZAZ were together they were at their peak. All went downhill on their own (though the be fair, I did like the Naked Gun movies). But after 33 1/3, they didn't do well individually. I really, really wanted to like Rat Race. Cleese and Atkinson, how couldn't it be good. It wasn't.

I am sure someone loves Scary Movie(s), but I never did.

Reactions: hoosboot
There is a chart at the site below, when ZAZ were together they were at their peak. All went downhill on their own (though the be fair, I did like the Naked Gun movies). But after 33 1/3, they didn't do well individually. I really, really wanted to like Rat Race. Cleese and Atkinson, how couldn't it be good. It wasn't.

I am sure someone loves Scary Movie(s), but I never did.

I have always been a fan of "Top Secret".

(The French Resistance)

I really, really wanted to like Rat Race. Cleese and Atkinson, how couldn't it be good. It wasn't.

6dIs.gif

Ice-T is wondering where you've been with your crocodile tears about the rap community. Dude got cancelled a long time ago until he got his comeback ride. Rap's one community used to being in the crosshairs for people not liking what they say and dealing with the market fallout.

Dave and everybody else have the freedom to be funny or not be funny all they want. You're just mad about who might or might not want to pay them for it. I thought that was the decision the people paying got to make depending on how the market reacted.

The abuse of social media by know-nothing Leftist morons like yourself disrupts the market. If Netflix and similar producers are intimidated into not releasing the product, the market no longer has a vote. Unfortunately, not enough normal people are telling these wackos to go f*** themselves.

• Haha
Reactions: Bulk VanderHuge
Garrett Morris, the first SNL comic of color, schools us on comedy and wokeness:

Relax, everybody, this is comedy. Everybody can be the butt of a joke. And why should it be that if we joke about you, it’s sacrilege? You sit in the audience and laugh at jokes about everybody else. If we make a joke about trans [people] or gays, suddenly it’s sacrilege. And that’s what I got from that. I don’t see what’s wrong with that, with all due respect. I see it as nothing but a man saying publicly, “This is what I do.” And if you can’t understand that this is comedy coming at you, then don’t live in a society that’s multicultural.

Comedy should not be a safe space. The best jokes often make you groan because you know you shouldn’t laugh but you find them funny. If comedian A is not your cup of tea, fine. Just don’t be a wet blanket for those who do find him/her funny. Some people are out there looking to be offended. Well, you will be offended by certain comedy then. Get over yourself.

Comedy should not be a safe space. The best jokes often make you groan because you know you shouldn’t laugh but you find them funny. If comedian A is not your cup of tea, fine. Just don’t be a wet blanket for those who do find him/her funny. Some people are out there looking to be offended. Well, you will be offended by certain comedy then. Get over yourself.
I mostly agree, but there is an unanswered question. Does comedy contribute to the idea that blondes are dumb? Jocks are dumb? Irish fight? Whenever other stereotypes there are. If so, does it become a problem, are there blondes turned down for jobs because someone believes this stuff?

Seriously, there is no evidence blondes are less intelligent. Where did that even come from? The fact it is so in our lore has me thinking it has at least partially stuck.

If so, does it become a problem, are there blondes turned down for jobs because someone believes this stuff?

I will admit it is harder for me to take bottle blondes seriously, no matter how smart or solid their credentials might be. And it's not that I think they're dumb. It's more like they're phony or insincere.

The abuse of social media by know-nothing Leftist morons like yourself disrupts the market. If Netflix and similar producers are intimidated into not releasing the product, the market no longer has a vote. Unfortunately, not enough normal people are telling these wackos to go f*** themselves.

Well...I'm enough of a know-something to know how markets actually work...particularly when it comes to film and TV projects. The good news is that you probably know something about some thing. It's just not this. ;)

I mostly agree, but there is an unanswered question. Does comedy contribute to the idea that blondes are dumb? Jocks are dumb? Irish fight? Whenever other stereotypes there are. If so, does it become a problem, are there blondes turned down for jobs because someone believes this stuff?

Seriously, there is no evidence blondes are less intelligent. Where did that even come from? The fact it is so in our lore has me thinking it has at least partially stuck.

I'm tough on comics because I go to some shows fairly regularly (pre-pandemic in particular) where standups really challenge themselves in the art of comedy. They are particularly tough on each other and they are vicious towards prop comics, mania comics, and LCD comics (sometimes in ways that aren't always fair). You can often get a laugh just by saying something that flatters an audience's preconceptions with a little attitude and flair, but I wouldn't really call that comedy. Blondes are dumb/Irish are drunks/lawyers are sleazy bits aren't even jokes.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT