ADVERTISEMENT

Cooling Mattress/Pads for sleeping

I’m up right because I’m hot. Can’t figure out how to sleep with heat on in the winter!!!

Haha... I would have a window slightly open to have a draft going through my bedroom in the winter.
Here, I have the aircon cranked down to 68degrees at the moment but still, my back's hot in the middle of the night. And I will wake up a few times as a result.
I might give this chill pad a try -- the only thing that bugs me is the shipping charge -- $250 (via DHL) when the product costs like $580.

Reactions: Cavanagh
I’m up right because I’m hot. Can’t figure out how to sleep with heat on in the winter!!!

I bite the bullet and get the Chillsleep pad.

Quick delivery -- like 5 days. Just got it last night. Having to pay $254 for shipping charges and tax is still annoying. But hey ho... it is what it is.

I will test it out tonight. I will give McNutt golf like reviews later!! The cast will include a few pussies, furry or otherwise.

Ok -- hot sleeper here. First night using it. I took the advice of some Utuber reviewer and had the temp set way down:

To the ''lowest temp'' according to the guy. And ''don't expect it to be like some cold blast of air like feeling''.

Firstly the guy who said to set it at the very lowest temp must be ill. Or built wrong ie a small dick -- the theory being that he has less surface area to dissipate the body heat thus he radiates an abnormal amount of heat. It's still an unproven theory but I digress...

I was slightly cold at like 4.30 am when I got up for a pee. But the diff is that I think I slept through from 11.15 pm onwards till I got up to pee.
I read for a few minutes later before falling back asleep and not before raising the temp of the water/sleep pad.
tenor.png

Let's see if this is the sweet spot temp for my warm back. It certainly is the lowest temp setting as recommended by the reviewer -- 50 something degrees.

First observation so far is that I wake up fewer times -- once in fact only. I guess because I ain't rolling around to cool off my back as often.

As a result, I have woken up fresher -- deeper sleep I think.
But this is only based on one night's sleep. Anecdotal at this point. I could track the sleep patterns at some point with my sportswatch if I was to be scientific about it.

The other thing I need to test is how the chilisleep pad will perform after my bike rides. My body tends to run hot for a while for that night's sleep after my (usual night) rides.

Last edited:
Reactions: Cavanagh and kkott
Wife bought a cold pillow.

Sucked.

I don’t know if it was that brand.

My bet is that anything that touches human flesh warms up, unless the human is dead.

Reactions: UncleMark
Wife bought a cold pillow.

Sucked.

I don’t know if it was that brand.

My bet is that anything that touches human flesh warms up, unless the human is dead.
This is what this chilisleep Ooler thingy may work.
Where I need the heat exchange is in the upper back, shoulder blades of my body.

The base unit basically is a chilling/heat exchange pumping unit that distributes water (at your chosen temp) through tubes like a radiator up & down the topper/pad.

Ok -- hot sleeper here. First night using it. I took the advice of some Utuber reviewer and had the temp set way down:

To the ''lowest temp'' according to the guy. And ''don't expect it to be like some cold blast of air like feeling''.

Firstly the guy who said to set it at the very lowest temp must be ill. Or built wrong ie a small dick -- the theory being that he has less surface area to dissipate the body heat thus he radiates an abnormal amount of heat. It's still an unproven theory but I digress...

I was slightly cold at like 4.30 am when I got up for a pee. But the diff is that I think I slept through from 11.15 pm onwards till I got up to pee.
I read for a few minutes later before falling back asleep and not before raising the temp of the water/sleep pad.
tenor.png

Let's see if this is the sweet spot temp for my warm back. It certainly is the lowest temp setting as recommended by the reviewer -- 50 something degrees.

First observation so far is that I wake up fewer times -- once in fact only. I guess because I ain't rolling around to cool off my back as often.

As a result, I have woken up fresher -- deeper sleep I think.
But this is only based on one night's sleep. Anecdotal at this point. I could track the sleep patterns at some point with my sportswatch if I was to be scientific about it.

The other thing I need to test is how the chilisleep pad will perform after my bike rides. My body tends to run hot for a while for that night's sleep after my (usual night) rides.
Still doesn't sound any better than a BJ! That's my preferred sleep aid... if only I could get a prescription for one every night....

Still doesn't sound any better than a BJ! That's my preferred sleep aid... if only I could get a prescription for one every night....
You realise that they aren't mutually exclusive choices? Though I am concerned about any robust physical activity on the pad that has tubes running through them. Sadly I have yet to test it out.

I had asked them about cats jumping on the topper/pad. They assured me that they are a very pet friendly company. That response didn't exactly assauged my concerns. Plus it ain't cheap to FedEx it back to them for a replacement.

You realise that they aren't mutually exclusive choices? Though I am concerned about any robust physical activity on the pad that has tubes running through them. Sadly I have yet to test it out.

I had asked them about cats jumping on the topper/pad. They assured me that they are a very pet friendly company. That response didn't exactly assauged my concerns. Plus it ain't cheap to FedEx it back to them for a replacement.
Maybe they misunderstood when you asked if it was OK to have pussy(cats) on the pad?

• Haha
Reactions: sglowrider
Maybe they misunderstood when you asked if it was OK to have pussy(cats) on the pad?

I wasn't willing to discuss or elaborate this further with the female customer service agent. This day & age I am starting to feel like a communication dinosaur.

I am interested to know after about a week if you like it. My problem is when it gets real cold my heat runs in my 1900 ass house(I need to move), and even if I set my heat at 60 degrees I am still getting hot as hell at night and usually sweating waking up. I bought a casper element mattress last year, said it was built for cooling. Doesnt do shit for me.

I am interested to know after about a week if you like it. My problem is when it gets real cold my heat runs in my 1900 ass house(I need to move), and even if I set my heat at 60 degrees I am still getting hot as hell at night and usually sweating waking up. I bought a casper element mattress last year, said it was built for cooling. Doesnt do shit for me.

ChiliSleeper's Log: Day 2

I increased the temp last night. From 62degrees (the first night) to 66 (last night).

I still got up in the middle of the night at 3ish; my back/body was cold. Then I increased it to 68 degrees after -- a little better.
But I suspect that its a little too late in the morning to do the tweaking. I think my body/back produces the most heat between 1am and 4am.

I will leave it at 68 degrees tonight and will let you know. I am pretty sure each person's temperature sweet spot will be different. So if you do try one of these pads (90days free trial), you will need to start at some point -- certainly not the coldest setting. And then tweak it each night till you find the most comfortable setting.

ChiliSleeper's Log: Day3

I set the temp at 67degrees. It seemed to be the sweet spot. It's nice for a change not to wake up or roll onto your sides to cool off your back. It stays at 67degree all throughout.
The only negative would be that I wish I could change the temp setting for different times of the night. Like coolest at the heat/peak hours.
Otherwise, 67 so far (one night) seems ok.

ChiliSleeper's Log: Day 4

I think I get deeper sleep just because I am not rolling around as much. I think I am less groggy when I get up in the morning.

Also, it's an unusual feeling to get up from bed and have your back feel the same surface body temperature at the front as at the back.

Its been a couple of weeks now since I started using the chilisleep.
Its certainly made sleeping more comfortable in that I don't roll around as much since my back isn't hot. I have found the right temp for me -- 67degrees.

I don't think I sleep longer but I think I have deeper sleep. I dream almost every night now. So if some theories are to be believed, having dreams will reflect better quality sleep.

Now I just need to get exciting dreams.....

The good old days.

Last edited:
Its been a couple of weeks now since I started using the chilisleep.
Its certainly made sleeping more comfortable in that I don't roll around as much since my back isn't hot. I have found the right temp for me -- 67degrees.

I don't think I sleep longer but I think I have deeper sleep. I dream almost every night now. So if some theories are to be believed, having dreams will reflect better quality sleep.

Now I just need to get exciting dreams.....

The good old days.
I need your dreams!

• Haha

Cav -- long term review.

I literally can fall asleep within 2-3 mins becoz of the comfort. Keeps my back nice and cool all night.
But I either need to fine tune the settings like increasing the temp on the ooler machine or the rooms aircon. I started to wearing socks in bed...I live in the tropics FFS!

When my toes get cold it makes me want to pee more often!

• Love
Cav -- long term review.

I literally can fall asleep within 2-3 mins becoz of the comfort. Keeps my back nice and cool all night.
But I either need to fine tune the settings like increasing the temp on the ooler machine or the rooms aircon. I started to wearing socks in bed...I live in the tropics FFS!

When my toes get cold it makes me want to pee more often!
Thank you. I’m moving soon and will buy a new setup for sure.

You just need to start tweaking at different settings. There is an app with Bluetooth connectivity.
Took me a couple of nights to get the right temp.
They just had a sale like a month ago. Wait for black Friday?
Good sheets make a difference too in sleep comfort. I'm a Costco freak and I wait for their best set of sheets to go on sale. They're great and less than half the cost for their quality they would be anywhere else. Think a king set is normally around $85 and gets down around $60-65 on sale. Even at $85 they are a great deal.

Good sheets make a difference too in sleep comfort. I'm a Costco freak and I wait for their best set of sheets to go on sale. They're great and less than half the cost for their quality they would be anywhere else. Think a king set is normally around $85 and gets down around $60-65 on sale. Even at $85 they are a great deal.

I have tried the sheets ... Even bought those cooling jammies. The ooler solved it once n for all.i think the nights are getting over now. 77 degrees now.
That may explain my toes getting cold.

I have tried the sheets ... Even bought those cooling jammies. The ooler solved it once n for all.i think the nights are getting over now. 77 degrees now.
That may explain my toes getting cold.
As long as we're going all Betty Crocker, I have started using t-shirts from the brand 32 degrees (heat or cool)to sleep in and I swear they keep me cooler than wearing nothing. Wicks sweat away and they just feel cool. I've started buying other clothes of theirs and the materials are always first rate. Bought sets of long underwear for my son who's working outdoors in CO this winter and he swears by them and had me buy more.

As long as we're going all Betty Crocker, I have started using t-shirts from the brand 32 degrees (heat or cool)to sleep in and I swear they keep me cooler than wearing nothing. Wicks sweat away and they just feel cool. I've started buying other clothes of theirs and the materials are always first rate. Bought sets of long underwear for my son who's working outdoors in CO this winter and he swears by them and had me buy more.

It's called modal cotton ... Wearing one as we speak. Part of my 'old' cooling solution. Bought a bunch... Helps a little but not like this cooling pad.
I got on a modal cotton tees and socks with ooler, but a tad too cool. (I don't remember wearing socks back when I suffered from winters.)
So I am now awake to go pee.

Reactions: kkott
It's called modal cotton ... Wearing one as we speak. Part of my 'old' cooling solution. Bought a bunch... Helps a little but not like this cooling pad.
I got on a modal cotton tees and socks with ooler, but a tad too cool. (I don't remember wearing socks back when I suffered from winters.)
So I am now awake to go pee.
Yeah, I would hope it wouldn't help as much, but between the sheets and tshirt, I feel like I'm sleeping coolly enough now not to have to go to that extreme!

I do know that the days I row, I zonk out much easier and deeper than days I don't, or vs my strength training days.

Yeah, I would hope it wouldn't help as much, but between the sheets and tshirt, I feel like I'm sleeping coolly enough now not to have to go to that extreme!

I do know that the days I row, I zonk out much easier and deeper than days I don't, or vs my strength training days.

I imagine when you work out your body produces more heat or too much when you sleep.
I had that issue if I bike and finish late ard 10pm. So I then started earlier and finish ard 9 instead. But still a lot of body heat when I sleep.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT