ADVERTISEMENT

Conwell and Dre Davis

Ballo means we intend to win big right now. Mgbako and Rice fit that profile as well. 2 veteran, plus-athletes that defend at a high level AND shoot are probably in Indy right now.

If we mean business, Galloway, Reneau and Tucker come off the bench.
Can we at least expect in year 4 given he gets all these big name guys the expectation is a sweet sixeteen and top three in the big ten. I would hope that would be the expectation but maybe i am just unrealistic these days and i live in the past.

Reactions: Thcgh and Willdog7
If CMW says he develops big men then is he or is he not teaching Reneau to face up to the basket and shoot midrange jumpers or fake and drive? No way can he make it to the pros with his limited back to the basket game.
what games were you watching?

Can we at least expect in year 4 given he gets all these big name guys the expectation is a sweet sixeteen and top three in the big ten. I would hope that would be the expectation but maybe i am just unrealistic these days and i live in the past.
I would be happy with 6th in the B10 and getting into the tournament because I’m not as sophisticated as the fans that have high expectations.

• Haha
Reactions: ulrey
Ballo means we intend to win big right now. Mgbako and Rice fit that profile as well. 2 veteran, plus-athletes that defend at a high level AND shoot are probably in Indy right now.

I'll believe Ballo is coming only when I see his commitment video online!

Ballo/Mgbako should be modeled after Clingon and Karaban.

My ideal rotation includes:

Bigs: Ballo, Bradshaw, Reneau

Wings: Mgbako, Davis, Tucker

Guards: Rice, Conwell, Galloway, Carlyle

I'd have every week like the Hunger Games at practice to decide my starters until February.

Reactions: Bucket Getter
Not your post, but is that horrifying, as you're probably right that's what we hope for anymore.

Coach Cignetti needs to go in there and reset the expectations for Indiana basketball. 'No self imposed limitations'.

The tournament, as a 1 and done deal on a neutral site, is not a good barometer. Weird things happen.

Too many things can happen between now and then, including some of these kids not coming. Wait and see.

his FT shooting has actually regressed each year, with a big dip this past season. His shot has been jacked since day one. If it was fixable, it would have been fixed by now. It is what it is.
Funny, but if you listen to Todd Leary on the post game shows, he says Galloway has a fundamental flaw in his shooting stroke that he could fix in 1 session. Cav, can you figure out some legal way to get Todd and Trey together over the summer? What happens if they both just want to go shoot some hoops at an outdoor court somewhere?

I think Leary offered to help the coaching staff and can't due to NCAA rules, but if I was Woody, I'd at least listen to the guy, he is doing it professionally now and knows shooting.

Reactions: Tammany Hall
Funny, but if you listen to Todd Leary on the post game shows, he says Galloway has a fundamental flaw in his shooting stroke that he could fix in 1 session. Cav, can you figure out some legal way to get Todd and Trey together over the summer? What happens if they both just want to go shoot some hoops at an outdoor court somewhere?

I think Leary offered to help the coaching staff and can't due to NCAA rules, but if I was Woody, I'd at least listen to the guy, he is doing it professionally now and knows shooting.
TMP referenced it in a previous thread and I've noticed it too...it's almost like Trey twists his arms/wrists ever so slightly when shooting free throws. I think he has his right elbow out too far from his body, which throws off his north/south alignment and aim. I'm not a shot doctor so what do I know. But a coach's kid from Indiana shooting fifty-some percent from the line his Sr year....hell Uve Blab shot better than 70% his sr year, and his shot was always awkward as hell.

I would think between Jordy and Calbert, the staff has a couple guys with a good stroke who could lend a hand....

Or just have him watch old tape of Alford doing his socks-shorts-swish routine.

Really? You mean 50 % unguarded free throws isn't normal?

Ballo/Mgbako should be modeled after Clingon and Karaban.

My ideal rotation includes:

Bigs: Ballo, Bradshaw, Reneau

Wings: Mgbako, Davis, Tucker

Guards: Rice, Conwell, Galloway, Carlyle

I'd have every week like the Hunger Games at practice to decide my starters until February.
Let's see. Three of the guards can shoot and 1 can't.

46% his 3rd year on two attempts per game. He suddenly got better that year and then regressed last year.
Don't think it was 2 per game... didn't he take like 45 3s that year? At any rate, as I've said, I'll never buy a guy is a good 3 pt shooter if he's not near 80% or better on FTs. That is what is known as an anomaly, imo.

That was also when we had TJD and JHS and so Trey was not seeing a lot of defensive attention. This year he was viewed more as a primary perimeter scorer and the D adjusted. Just what I expect to happen to Smith and Loyer at PU this coming year when they don't have Edey drawing the defense in. I bet you'll see their shooting %'s dip a good bit.

Don't think it was 2 per game... didn't he take like 45 3s that year? At any rate, as I've said, I'll never buy a guy is a good 3 pt shooter if he's not near 80% or better on FTs. That is what is known as an anomaly, imo.

That was also when we had TJD and JHS and so Trey was not seeing a lot of defensive attention. This year he was viewed more as a primary perimeter scorer and the D adjusted. Just what I expect to happen to Smith and Loyer at PU this coming year when they don't have Edey drawing the defense in. I bet you'll see their shooting %'s dip a good bit.
Trey was left wide open a lot this year. They were begging him to shoot 3's.

Old? I just got started.

You are setting up to be able to tell everyone "I told you so" if next season goes well BUT what will your tune be if next season is another clustef***? Will you call for him to be fired?

What is the absolute minimum result for next season that will keep you on Woodson's side?

IU has waited 4 years for Galloway to improve 3s and free throws. Why would he suddenly become better if he hasn't done it for 4 years?
Maybe not highly likely. But there have been an endless number of NBA guys who have dramatically improved their shooting or free throws at ages 22 to 25. But yeah - not holding my breath.

Malik has skills for a big guy. His footwork is strong. He can score going to his left. But he has limitations. He doesn't make decisions as quick as he needs to and doesn't have the best vision. He's not skilled enough with the ball to do much more on the perimeter but he can knock down an open jumper.

We remember TJD and think Malik should do the same. Malik is not the athlete TJD is. He has to work harder to get his shot. If he was quicker with his decisions he could avoid some of the turnovers when the defensive help comes his way. If he had better handles he could do more overall. Maybe he adds to his game next season and turns the corner.

What I'd like to see is a better effort rebounding the ball. A willingness to block out and control the boards. And obviously it would be huge if he could defend without fouling at such a high rate. Just staying on the court would improve his stat line.

Malik isn’t coming off the bench and I doubt that Tucker is. A five star isn’t coming here to ride the bench

Malik has skills for a big guy. His footwork is strong. He can score going to his left. But he has limitations. He doesn't make decisions as quick as he needs to and doesn't have the best vision. He's not skilled enough with the ball to do much more on the perimeter but he can knock down an open jumper.

We remember TJD and think Malik should do the same. Malik is not the athlete TJD is. He has to work harder to get his shot. If he was quicker with his decisions he could avoid some of the turnovers when the defensive help comes his way. If he had better handles he could do more overall. Maybe he adds to his game next season and turns the corner.

What I'd like to see is a better effort rebounding the ball. A willingness to block out and control the boards. And obviously it would be huge if he could defend without fouling at such a high rate. Just staying on the court would improve his stat line.
TJD was always a good rebounder, but I thought his passing out of a double team improved a ton his last year. The rebounding is a head scratcher for Malik. That, passing out of double teams and fouls would make him a much more complete player.

Not your post, but is that horrifying, as you're probably right that's what we hope for anymore.

Coach Cignetti needs to go in there and reset the expectations for Indiana basketball. 'No self imposed limitations'.

I'm pulling for our new football coach, but let's not get carried away. I hope he's able to speak w such bravado this time next year. I fear one season at the losingest program in history may taper his hubris a bit.

Again, I like the hire and his track record. But talk is talk. He hasn't won a game yet. Hasn't played one.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT