ADVERTISEMENT

Connor Essegian

If Woody is still enamored with having a “second unit” next season we might as well start preparing ourselves to be disappointed right now. This team will inevitability underachieve because the coach is a stubborn old fool. How many times this past season did the dumbass have to get slapped in the face with the reality that his “second unit” bullshit doesn’t cut it at the college level? He hasn’t learned a damn thing…
Apparently you could use a good slapping to understand the lack of performance from wings and guards killed the concept. Did you think Beard at TTU needed slapping when he ran a similar sub pattern. How about Drew when they were actually good?
The reason he sticks with it without the right personnel is due to recruits watching how we play and deciding if this style is conducive to NBA aspirations. Build it and they will come concept.

Apparently you could use a good slapping to understand the lack of performance from wings and guards killed the concept. Did you think Beard at TTU needed slapping when he ran a similar sub pattern. How about Drew when they were actually good?
The reason he sticks with it without the right personnel is due to recruits watching how we play and deciding if this style is conducive to NBA aspirations. Build it and they will come concept.
Well said. His system gives a lot of guys opportunities especially early in the season. As the season goes on, minutes are curtailed based on production.

You said it yourself right there. He didn’t have the personnel to pull it off but he stubbornly stuck with it anyway. That’s peak stupidity and if he was prioritizing impressing potential recruits over actually getting Ws that’s even worse. Mike Woodson is done as coach at IU. The administration and you apologists just haven’t accepted it yet but we’ll help you get there eventually….

You said it yourself right there. He didn’t have the personnel to pull it off but he stubbornly stuck with it anyway. That’s peak stupidity and if he was prioritizing impressing potential recruits over actually getting Ws that’s even worse. Mike Woodson is done as coach at IU. The administration and you apologists just haven’t accepted it yet but we’ll help you get there eventually….
you should buy a lottery ticket, you can predict the future.

Hope you’re going to be ok if we have success this year

Woody needs to be careful about forcing personnel. Last season those close wins vs bad teams really hurt our efficiency numbers, which the NCAA committee factors in quite a bit. It doesn’t matter if the NCAA is right or wrong, it’s the way it works we have to play along like it or not.

Hope you’re going to be ok if we have success this year
I said he tweaked his concept to fit his personal and to maintain the right visual for the future. I always found it frustrating when RMK changed his offense to accommodate missing pieces 🙄

Woody needs to be careful about forcing personnel. Last season those close wins vs bad teams really hurt our efficiency numbers, which the NCAA committee factors in quite a bit. It doesn’t matter if the NCAA is right or wrong, it’s the way it works we have to play along like it or not.
We will probably Big12 it going forward

Wisconsin does not want him even with Storr gone.
You don't know if Wisc wanted him to stay or not. All we know is he left. Unless he or they state why that's all we'll know.

fwiw - Blackwell will most likely replace Storr. and may breakout next season, he has the skills.

I'm hoping the reason he plays the 2004 nba style is because of the personnel he has. I'd hope if he can get some guards he would stop clogging the lane.

Reactions: Thcgh
If Woody is still enamored with having a “second unit” next season we might as well start preparing ourselves to be disappointed right now. This team will inevitability underachieve because the coach is a stubborn old fool. How many times this past season did the dumbass have to get slapped in the face with the reality that his “second unit” bullshit doesn’t cut it at the college level? He hasn’t learned a damn thing…
So your opinion about Woody is negative?

It's hard to go off the McDonalds game but he was the least impressive player on the floor that night. looked closer to about 6 4 to me and played with zero energy. But he was on Fland's team who wasn't giving the ball up so he may have said F it
The MDAA game is a joke as far as team play until it gets down to the last 5 min. and one team decides they should win. The rest of the time people jack up ill advised 3's and try to posterize guys with jams. If someone passes the ball, they don't get it back. Neither Tucker nor McNeeley looked anything special but they are in a team scenario.

I said he tweaked his concept to fit his personal and to maintain the right visual for the future. I always found it frustrating when RMK changed his offense to accommodate missing pieces 🙄
"to maintain the right visual for the future" ??

Wow.

I'm going to have to read some modern coaching manuals. That's a new fundamental I don't even know any drills for.

Haven't even looked, but I know his minutes were reduced, and I believe he dealt with an injury and just never got fully back into the rotation. Essegian is a shooter and shooters' don't forget how to shoot. He would immediately be the best shooter on our roster and I would guess would shoot right in the range of 40% from 3. We could use him, if he's OK with competing for minutes and likely coming off the bench if we get Carlyle.

I'd love to see another IN kid at IU, and especially a knock down shooter, who I think has skills. Some have questioned his D, but he seems like a decent athlete overall and you just signed a guy who can anchor the paint as a help defender. Feels like a great fit if he's OK with competition for minutes.

Last edited:
Could be a nice addition if he's comfortable with his role. With so many still going into the portal and more expected to visit soon, you have to wonder if IU is moving too quickly. Are they adding the best possible options?

Could be a nice addition if he's comfortable with his role. With so many still going into the portal and more expected to visit soon, you have to wonder if IU is moving too quickly. Are they adding the best possible options?
talk about damned if you do, damned if you don't! He's gotten the top center and overall player in the portal and freshman of the year in the Pac10... you don't wait on guys like that. If we truly are likely to get Carlyle, then we're lucky to get a guy like Essegian who addresses a need and would start for a lot of teams. I understand your thought, but no, you can't wait. You could wait until the end of the portal and then right down the 3 best guys at C, PG and SG and you're not going to come up with much better than those 3. Home run, right there. Essegian on top of that would be a cherry. Add a post for depth and/or development and it's a grand slam.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT