ADVERTISEMENT

Connor Essegian

Looks like he is going to visit
Thoughts on a good or bad fit for IU?
GoHoosiers

Has visited Michigan, MD, and S. Carolina so far.

I'd be ok him if fully healthy. He's a catch and shoot guy who doesn't need the ball that much. If we get both Rice and Carlyle they both like to have the ball in their hands. 89% career FT shooter, pretty good % on 2s as well.

Obviously Cromwell would be better, but we don't seem to be real active with him (?).

Last edited:
Seems like he would fit the Bates, Gunn role where he has the green light with the second unit.
If Woody is still enamored with having a “second unit” next season we might as well start preparing ourselves to be disappointed right now. This team will inevitability underachieve because the coach is a stubborn old fool. How many times this past season did the dumbass have to get slapped in the face with the reality that his “second unit” bullshit doesn’t cut it at the college level? He hasn’t learned a damn thing…

I hear that IU is looking at former Duke player Jaden Schutt. 66" 3-point shooter.? He was behind McCain.

Reactions: ufo33
GoHoosiers
He certainly would not start and not sure how much money woodson has still but he can come off the bench. I dont see any playing time at all for newton, cupps, and leal honestly if all these guys come , only so many minutes per game.

GoHoosiers
YES!!! His injury and also trying to beat out Storr, Hepburn and the Kleindscmit (sp) while battling early injury is tough. If he is 100% healthy, its a no brainer IMHO. Just look what he did as a Wisconsin freshman when healthy, something almost all IU fans wish they had on the team. Yes yes and yes!

Has visited Michigan, MD, and S. Carolina so far.

I'd be ok him if fully healthy. He's a catch and shoot guy who doesn't need the ball that much. If we get both Rice and Carlyle they both like to have the ball in their hands. 89% career FT shooter, pretty good % on 2s as well.

Obviously Cromwell would be better, but we don't seem to be real active with him (?).
If we're getting Carlyle, we're not getting Conwell, if that's who you are referring to. And, if we're getting Carlyle, and Essegian is interested in IU, then he's OK coming off the bench. I'd love to have Essegian, a guy who can make the most out of 5-8 shots a game because that's what he does and he makes 3s and FTs.

YES!!! His injury and also trying to beat out Storr, Hepburn and the Kleindscmit (sp) while battling early injury is tough. If he is 100% healthy, its a no brainer IMHO. Just look what he did as a Wisconsin freshman when healthy, something almost all IU fans wish they had on the team. Yes yes and yes!
no

If we're getting Carlyle, we're not getting Conwell, if that's who you are referring to. And, if we're getting Carlyle, and Essegian is interested in IU, then he's OK coming off the bench. I'd love to have Essegian, a guy who can make the most out of 5-8 shots a game because that's what he does and he makes 3s and FTs.
he did not last year.

If Woody is still enamored with having a “second unit” next season we might as well start preparing ourselves to be disappointed right now. This team will inevitability underachieve because the coach is a stubborn old fool. How many times this past season did the dumbass have to get slapped in the face with the reality that his “second unit” bullshit doesn’t cut it at the college level? He hasn’t learned a damn thing…
How do you know that?

• Sad
Reactions: Willdog7
I wish you were the coach. You can see through all the gimmicks.

• Sad
Reactions: Willdog7

I refuse to listen to someone who doesn’t understand the concept called “depth”. Especially after last year with the devastating injuries. Talk about not learning a damn thing.

Reactions: T.M.P.
I never ended up submitting the comment but Essegian was a guy I had written about in the Roster Update and thoughts as likely the next best guard we could get if Hickman moved on to another school. Players want minutes but if Essegian is willing to take a end of rotation role to sit in the corner and hit 3's, he's likely one of the best we can get with the minutes crunch we have. Not the sexiest recruit but fits a needed role and the profile a lot of posters here like.
I hear that IU is looking at former Duke player Jaden Schutt. 66" 3-point shooter.? He was behind McCain.
Would be a great grab. 247 scout tabbed him as one of the best shooters in his class and, though I don't know how athletic he is, has enough size he could guard the 3 if necessary. Should be able to hit from anywhere, any way and could turn into our a Jordan Bohannon-esque player for us.

Yea. Seems increasingly likely.

Maybe he just needs a change of scenery. Won’t know until the season starts so may as well be optimistic. He can shoot.

Assuming Carlyle commits I'm more interested in who our third big would be anyway....Rice and Carlyle are going to play a lot, as will Gallo, and you know Woodson will get Cupps and Leal some time. I think its reasonable to expect 33-36% on 3s from Rice & Carlyle. Perhaps with a somewhat lower # of shots (MM and MR will also get their shots).? If we don't get that soph bump from them we won't be really good, but the coaches and experts must expect it.

Concerning the 3rd big.....I hope we wait until Williams turns us down to offer Malone.

Reactions: Tammany Hall
I'm not sure about this one, went from no guards to 20 of them. need a big wing lock down defender who can guard multiple positions. and can score at the rim or hit a jump shot. A 6 7 Michael Jordan type player.

• Haha
Reactions: DANC
It's hard to go off the McDonalds game but he was the least impressive player on the floor that night. looked closer to about 6 4 to me and played with zero energy. But he was on Fland's team who wasn't giving the ball up so he may have said F it
Most teams only have 1 big wing like that. UConn had Jackson last year and Castle this year.

Why no? Explain. You ever had to deal with an injury? I'm sure you have. Essegian when healthy, can help this roster alot next season. Jmho. Tell me why you think no.
The main reason is Wisconsin does not want him. Does he play defense, not enough attempts at 3

• Haha
Reactions: ulrey
It's hard to go off the McDonalds game but he was the least impressive player on the floor that night. looked closer to about 6 4 to me and played with zero energy. But he was on Fland's team who wasn't giving the ball up so he may have said F it
He barely played in an all-star game and you are already downing the kid. WOW.

Is that a well thought out and to the point response?

He didn't play AAU ball. Probably not used to the free style of an all star game.

But he looked pretty damn skinny to me.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT