ADVERTISEMENT

Congrats Democrats

I must not have been clear. There are 4000 political appointments in the federal government in 2016, 1200 required confirmation. For 2800 then the only requirement is you belong to the party in power

Now if we demand the best, and only the best for each position, what are the odds in all 2800 cases the best possible person is Republican? So right off the bat are we not saying we do not really want the best.

Jamie Dimon has always been a D, any chance Trump would take him as Sec of Treasury? If we demand the best and only the best, why not?
They are still largely subject to title 7 with some exceptions. And I do agree to a certain degree that it’s a perk/privilege of the person in power. But it’s not 4,000 people that are free of discrimination

Didn't the court throw cold water on using stats, that it is statistically unlikely all 100 best candidates for these 100 jobs were White male.

Most of the government jobs we are talking about are not jobs you and I apply for or even scanned for on Indeed. The president looks for and finds people he thinks can do the job, shares values, and works with well. Is it incredible to think that through recruiting they cannot find 3-4 Blacks/Hispanics that fit that as well as any White using everyone in the nation as the pool?

Because any hiring is going to have bias. Guess what, as an older White middle class Midwestern male I am most likely to be comfortable around White middle class Midwestern males. There IS a bias in any hiring system because of that.

Oh, as to the question as to where it stops, nuclear scientists, we have that settled via the term protected class

Those jobs go to people that are loyal to the party and/or campaign.... Generally need to have been active in some manner as a surrogate. Or have some history with the party coming into power. There are a LOT of these positions. Something like 4k+

Reactions: BradStevens
Those jobs go to people that are loyal to the party and/or campaign.... Generally need to have been active in some manner as a surrogate. Or have some history with the party coming into power. There are a LOT of these positions. Something like 4k+
i was going through reviewing them. they pay less than i would have guessed

They are still largely subject to title 7 with some exceptions. And I do agree to a certain degree that it’s a perk/privilege of the person in power. But it’s not 4,000 people that are free of discrimination
That isn't the point. Are we not purists on hiring only the best? That is what people say, must hire "the best". If we are purists on hiring the best, the best 4000 are not going to be all R or all D ( heck, some of best will be I or L). But we are not hiring the best, we are hiring 4000 loyalists. They might be incompetent in every other way, but they can fundraise. How does that qualify them to be in the EPA?

That isn't the point. Are we not purists on hiring only the best? That is what people say, must hire "the best". If we are purists on hiring the best, the best 4000 are not going to be all R or all D ( heck, some of best will be I or L). But we are not hiring the best, we are hiring 4000 loyalists. They might be incompetent in every other way, but they can fundraise. How does that qualify them to be in the EPA?
No on that point I agree with you completely.

I'm somewhat sympathetic about this. We should do more cross-party hiring. But we all know that the bureaucracy can act to stymie an executive's desires, so that has to be taken into account.

Reactions: mcmurtry66
I'm somewhat sympathetic about this. We should do more cross-party hiring. But we all know that the bureaucracy can act to stymie an executive's desires, so that has to be taken into account.
That is true. Fortunately those employees come with few protections.

But we agree hiring someone for political positions based on their help to the party IS happening today. So if the president believes a Black in a position helps the party, why is that worse than hiring a White for the same reason?

Rewarding someone for past political help hardly makes "best" a criteria being used. So people saying that are not looking at the positions being hired. The best are not being hired.

That is true. Fortunately those employees come with few protections.

But we agree hiring someone for political positions based on their help to the party IS happening today. So if the president believes a Black in a position helps the party, why is that worse than hiring a White for the same reason?

Rewarding someone for past political help hardly makes "best" a criteria being used. So people saying that are not looking at the positions being hired. The best are not being hired.
Good argument. I agree with this. It's analogous to the college argument re legacies and donors. They each do it to incentivize raising money, because money makes the world go round.

Reactions: Marvin the Martian
Whew, that's not just a word salad it's...

bigsalad.png

But I still think she has a better chance to win than Biden would have had.
Rocks have little chance in this world.

It's 4k today. If Trump gets his way will be more like 25k.

It's gotten little publicity, but Harris has pledged to appoint a Republican to her Cabinet. It's not unusual; a Democrat has appointed a Pub as SecDef on several occasions.

It's gotten little publicity, but Harris has pledged to appoint a Republican to her Cabinet. It's not unusual; a Democrat has appointed a Pub as SecDef on several occasions.
I think it'd be beneficial if the two parties came to an understanding that every cabinet would contain a few members from the other party. Maybe engender some trust and cooperation among them.

If it’s the kind of Republicans I’m thinking of, I would rather a Democrat. Don’t need or want Kinzinger as DNI as some token of bi-partisanship.

Explain tds sufferer.
Explain how you posted one of the most despicable things you could post about a man and it turned out to be completely bogus? Explain how you didn’t bother to acknowledge it was false? Explain how you have no shame about doing it? Is that what you’d like explained to you? You are now and forever a despicable, dishonest and dishonorable POS.

Explain how you posted one of the most despicable things you could post about a man and it turned out to be completely bogus? Explain how you didn’t bother to acknowledge it was false? Explain how you have no shame about doing it? Is that what you’d like explained to you? You are now and forever a despicable, dishonest and dishonorable POS.
You crack me up. Love ya aloha, for your stupidity. Your comments on DANC should have had you banned for life. Dumbass

You crack me up. Love ya aloha, for your stupidity. Your comments on DANC should have had you banned for life. Dumbass
Not only are you a dishonorable POS it is hilarious you don’t realize you just aren’t smart. You may be slightly smarter than dbm, but that doesn’t get you out of the moron category.

Not only are you a dishonorable POS it is hilarious you don’t realize you just aren’t smart. You may be slightly smarter than dbm, but that doesn’t get you out of the moron category.
Never claimed to be “smart”. And I’d be happy to be less smart than DBM. I respect what he puts down. Moron? C’mon man…glass houses and all.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT