ADVERTISEMENT

Coming here to eat some crow

Wiedersehen

Junior
Jan 6, 2019
I’ve been visiting friends in Germany the last ten days, so been away from the board.

I honestly thought this team could win 7 or 8 games this year. Obviously that isn’t going to happen. I honestly thought CTA would inspire this group to compete and give it everything they had, resulting in one or two upsets. We’ve seen no such thing.

This season is trending toward disaster and no bowl game again. I’m not even sure we beat Purdue at this point.

I’ll be in section 106 on the 21st. Probably cheering with more energy than most of our players play with.

It’s not yet time to start talking hoops… but we’re getting close.

I'm not sure we beat anybody at this point. 2-10 looks like a real possibility with wins over Indiana State and Akron (4OT).
I appreciate your ability to suck it up and admit that you were wrong. As an old timer, I have said many times that the most important part of winning games is having the better talent. Yes, coaching matters, but not as much as you think. Tradition and having four or five star players is what wins. We have neither so no, even Woody Hayes, or Nick Saban couldn't turn us around without the talent. The best players win and we never have the best players.

Reactions: vesuvius13
Tom might have been able to inspire such efforts but he’s ruined the efforts of successive IUFB teams by hiring then keeping incompetent coaches long after their fire-by dates (or possibly by urging bad plays on marginally competent coaches), then blaming players for failing to carry out the bad plans. IU owes it to our players to get a good HC asap even if it means playing hardball with Allen.

Last edited:
I don't think I can disagree more. Look at Michael Penix at Indiana with good coaching. Look at Michael Penix at Indiana with terrible coaching. Look at Michael Penix at Washington with his old Indiana coaching staff.

Last edited:
I'm not sure we beat anybody at this point. 2-10 looks like a real possibility with wins over Indiana State and Akron (4OT).
I'm definitely not "sure" we'll beat anyone else this year either.

But I'd bet a large sum of money we'll get at least 1 more win. There are more than a couple really average football teams left on the schedule.

I appreciate your ability to suck it up and admit that you were wrong. As an old timer, I have said many times that the most important part of winning games is having the better talent. Yes, coaching matters, but not as much as you think. Tradition and having four or five star players is what wins. We have neither so no, even Woody Hayes, or Nick Saban couldn't turn us around without the talent. The best players win and we never have the best players.
No coach wins without talent. Some coaches can't win with it. That's what separates the good from the bad.

But I'd bet a large sum of money we'll get at least 1 more win. There are more than a couple really average football teams left on the schedule.
I think Allen will win 2 more this year, which will be just enough games that they can't justify spending $20M to let him go.

I’ve been visiting friends in Germany the last ten days, so been away from the board.

I honestly thought this team could win 7 or 8 games this year. Obviously that isn’t going to happen. I honestly thought CTA would inspire this group to compete and give it everything they had, resulting in one or two upsets. We’ve seen no such thing.

This season is trending toward disaster and no bowl game again. I’m not even sure we beat Purdue at this point.

I’ll be in section 106 on the 21st. Probably cheering with more energy than most of our players play with.

I disagree. Already time to talk hoops. No football until at least 2025.

• Sad

I honestly thought you were just being sarcastic - you were serious? Wow! ;)

Yeah, but it will be quite a long time before we’re even “really average.”

Not sure I’ve ever heard anyone say they aren’t sure, but they’d bet a large sum in the same statement. Are you just really wealthy and don’t care to throw your money away? 😳

Not sure I’ve ever heard anyone say they aren’t sure, but they’d bet a large sum in the same statement. Are you just really wealthy and don’t care to throw your money away? 😳
Can’t pick who we’ll beat…but I’m fairly certain we’ll beat someone.

Reactions: Bucket Getter
I would say it is between MSU, Illinois, and Purdue.
Illinois seems the worst of those three. However, we are clearly in that group and we play at Illinois. I expect a loss.
I don’t think MSU cares about scandal so no help there. We are in Bloomington but with a half full stadium we will not have home court advantage. So that should be a loss also.
PU I think is not as good (first season as HC) as their usual 6-8 wins and a bowl somewhere. But we are at Lafayette so I bet a loss there also.
I still think we are 0 for the big ten. Buyout prevents an Allen firing until the end of 2024.

• Sad
Reactions: travlinhoosier
Illinois seems the worst of those three. However, we are clearly in that group and we play at Illinois. I expect a loss.
I don’t think MSU cares about scandal so no help there. We are in Bloomington but with a half full stadium we will not have home court advantage. So that should be a loss also.
PU I think is not as good (first season as HC) as their usual 6-8 wins and a bowl somewhere. But we are at Lafayette so I bet a loss there also.
I still think we are 0 for the big ten. Buyout prevents an Allen firing until the end of 2024.
That's a rosy little picture. Sad thing is I agree.

Reactions: travlinhoosier
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT