ADVERTISEMENT

College Football Imperialism Map

I didn't see Hawaii down there. We own all the islands, which somehow includes the Aleutians.
It was killing me trying to figure how the geographical mechanics...so I went and created a burner account. Per the thread:
"The geographic distance of the Aleutians West Census Area is closer to the University of Hawaii than Washington."
Farther down, when someone asked why so much of NE wasn't Husker territory, they say:
"It's based on the distance of the center of each county to the nearest FBS stadium."
Now it makes more sense!

After week 4.....
GYK6lg8XEAEYiZ5

IU has some nice tropical places … too bad the NU already lost that lakefront property in Evanston.

IU got HI as part of the Rose Bowl Victory Spoils.

LOL at Buffalo camped on South Bend.

Last edited:
Who played Alaska?

EDIT: Nevermind. TIL that part of Alaska is closer to Hawaii than Washington.

Last edited:
They didn't have any land when we beat them. They'd already lost it to NIU the week before. It's why Buffalo owned South Bend in week 4. NIU took it from ND, then Buffalo beat NIU.
Yeah, you have no land to gain unless you play and beat a team who has space on the map at the time you beat them. At this point, since we are in conference play, only the land that has B1G schools is even a possibility for us to obtain (in the reg season).

Based on this map, unless one of our other opponents steals a win vs Oregon, Michigan, Rutgers or Ohio State before we play them, the only opponents we play that we can gain land against is UM and OSU.

Oregon plays UM the week before us, however, Oregon plays Ohio State in 2 weeks so Oregon might not have any land when UM plays them. Ohio State also plays PSU so it realistically could be down to just OSU and UM with land anyways.

I thought we would own Nebraska's territory. I guess i am not quite in sync with how this works. But I do like our increasing spots across the map.

Reactions: red hornet
I thought we would own Nebraska's territory. I guess i am not quite in sync with how this works. But I do like our increasing spots across the map.
You take the territory of the team you beat, but Nebraska lost their territory and hadn't beaten anyone with land since. Illinois took what they had. Rutgers had lost everything already, so that win gave them no land. The win over Purdue, well that goes without saying....they're on a barge on the Wabash right now.

Its a bit wonky and not really what you think.

Everyone starts off with a small segment of land where their school is located and when you win, you take the land the losing team held. That means if you lose, you have no land. The only way you regain any land is by beating another team who has land. Early on often it's a lot of undefeated teams or teams that upset/defeat undefeated teams. Nebraska lost to Illinois a month ago and Illinois took their land. Then Penn State beat Illinois and took all of Illinois land. Nebraska hadn't beaten anyone with land since their loss to Illinois therefore we could only lose land in our game if we lost to Nebraska. No way to gain it.

In either case, our game vs MSU could provide us a good chunk of land.

You take the territory of the team you beat, but Nebraska lost their territory and hadn't beaten anyone with land since. Illinois took what they had. Rutgers had lost everything already, so that win gave them no land. The win over Purdue, well that goes without saying....they're on a barge on the Wabash right now.

Yes Yes Yes Agree GIF

Its a big wonky and not really what you think. So everyone starts off with a small segment of where their school is located and when you win, you take the land that team held. That means if you lose, you have no land. The only way you regain it is by beating a team who has land. Early on often it's a lot of undefeated teams or teams that upset/defeat undefeated teams. Nebraska lost to Illinois a month ago and Illinois took their land. Then Penn State beat Illinois and took all of Illinois land. Nebraska hadn't beaten anyone with land since their loss to Illinois therefore we could only lose land in our game if we lost to Nebraska. No way to gain it.
Got it. Now it makes sense. Thanks for that.

Its a bit wonky and not really what you think.

Everyone starts off with a small segment of land where their school is located and when you win, you take the land the losing team held. That means if you lose, you have no land. The only way you regain any land is by beating another team who has land. Early on often it's a lot of undefeated teams or teams that upset/defeat undefeated teams. Nebraska lost to Illinois a month ago and Illinois took their land. Then Penn State beat Illinois and took all of Illinois land. Nebraska hadn't beaten anyone with land since their loss to Illinois therefore we could only lose land in our game if we lost to Nebraska. No way to gain it.

In either case, our game vs MSU could provide us a good chunk of land.
Unless of course if MSU should lose this week they will have no land to take.

If we run the table, we hold the entire country.
It's actually possible to go undefeated and not take all the land. If a 0 loss team drops a game late in the season, (say Elon beats Liberty) and takes their land, and then Elon doesn't make the playoff, there would be more than one team with land.

I'm not sure, but I suspect it will actually be hard for a season to end with one team having all the land. Even with a 12 team playoff. It would almost never happen with a 4 team playoff.

It's actually possible to go undefeated and not take all the land. If a 0 loss team drops a game late in the season, (say Elon beats Liberty) and takes their land, and then Elon doesn't make the playoff, there would be more than one team with land.

I'm not sure, but I suspect it will actually be hard for a season to end with one team having all the land. Even with a 12 team playoff. It would almost never happen with a 4 team playoff.
They will probably reset the map for the playoffs.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT