ADVERTISEMENT

Coaching Progress

The staffs potential is there without a doubt. But the challenges of IU FB are atypical, no matter what experiences you have. Not insurmountable...just ingrained. The fact Coach Allen hired "working" coaches rather than some other schools rejects may be more significant than where they came from. But...thats not to slight the fact that having BIO, SEC, and other good conferences experiences hurts not one bit. Vbg...

Reactions: Thomtar
Just thinking today that coaches from SEC transferring to IU shows improvement. Anyone else see this as positive?
This is huge, particularly with respect to the OC position. Can anyone remember the last time IU acquired, in a lateral move, a coordinator from a top-tier Power 5 school? (Me neither). With a demonstrable commitment to football, an improving product on the field, and a person of high character at the helm, we are becoming a much more attractive destination. And things will really accelerate at warp speed if we can manage a 7-5 or 8-4 season in the next couple of years.

This is huge, particularly with respect to the OC position. Can anyone remember the last time IU acquired, in a lateral move, a coordinator from a top-tier Power 5 school? (Me neither). With a demonstrable commitment to football, an improving product on the field, and a person of high character at the helm, we are becoming a much more attractive destination. And things will really accelerate at warp speed if we can manage a 7-5 or 8-4 season in the next couple of years.

Kevin Wilson?

Our staff looks pretty good relative to the country, but it will be tested in the Big Ten East. I hope we can get it done. I went to school from 2008-2014, so I watched a lot of Wilson games from the stands. There is no question in my mind that he upgraded the program. I was very excited for next year with Wilson and Allen, as Allen wouldn't have come had Wilson not put us on the map. I'm clearly still in denial.

Kudos to Allen though, he has done everything right in his short time as HC. I want them to win as much as any of my fellow Hoosiers that watched those Wisconsin blowouts. Let's go guys.

Our staff looks pretty good relative to the country, but it will be tested in the Big Ten East. I hope we can get it done. I went to school from 2008-2014, so I watched a lot of Wilson games from the stands. There is no question in my mind that he upgraded the program. I was very excited for next year with Wilson and Allen, as Allen wouldn't have come had Wilson not put us on the map. I'm clearly still in denial.

Kudos to Allen though, he has done everything right in his short time as HC. I want them to win as much as any of my fellow Hoosiers that watched those Wisconsin blowouts. Let's go guys.
Allen most likely would've taken another DC gig for next year.

Reactions: iueyedoc99
Allen most likely would've taken another DC gig for next year.
Some people, myself included, speculated on this same idea the day it happened but it was not a popular notion. However, I continue to maintain that Allens hiring had far more to do with retaining him, than appeasing him. One Btown bit of skuttlebutt is that a good school contacted Glass about talking to Allen at seasons end. May not be true but some believe it. Whether or not Allen would have left is now problematic. Bottom line is that the sitiuation was complex, and making Allen HC was the best (read simplest) solution.

Not saying I disagree with Glass...just dont like slight of hand behind drawn curtains.

Some people, myself included, speculated on this same idea the day it happened but it was not a popular notion. However, I continue to maintain that Allens hiring had far more to do with retaining him, than appeasing him. One Btown bit of skuttlebutt is that a good school contacted Glass about talking to Allen at seasons end. May not be true but some believe it. Whether or not Allen would have left is now problematic. Bottom line is that the sitiuation was complex, and making Allen HC was the best (read simplest) solution.

Not saying I disagree with Glass...just dont like slight of hand behind drawn curtains.
Why would another school contact Glass if they wanted to talk to Allen? That's not how those things generally work.

Why would another school contact Glass if they wanted to talk to Allen? That's not how those things generally work.
Dont know...and I cant verify it either, and heard it from only one source. But, I believe, contacting the school AD before approaching one of your working coaches is the proper proceedure...unless its changed.

The new school would generally put out a "feeler" to his agent. In the event of a positive response, they would then contact the AD for permission to talk to the coach, thus keeping some separation and the appearance of impropriety.

The point has already been made but I just want to emphasize that IU now has a Power 5 OC who was at a successful program making a lateral move to IU. When has that happened before? Another step in the right direction.

FWIW, I will be happy with another 6-6 season as long as IU continues to build depth at every position.

The new school would generally put out a "feeler" to his agent. In the event of a positive response, they would then contact the AD for permission to talk to the coach, thus keeping some separation and the appearance of impropriety.
I've known a couple of guys who were solicited and hired without any approach through an AD. It may be a courteous gesture, but there's no rule or protocol that governs it in college football or basketball. Brady Hoke was famously hired away from SDSU to Michigan without any such call to the Aztec AD, which drew his ire as well as begrudging acknowledgement that no one had to call him, only that it was a good practice.

Last edited:
There was a buzz that he might be headed back to Ole Miss to be DC for Freeze.(sp?) But I don't know if it would have happened. They have since snagged UL's DC.

I've known a couple of guys who were solicited and hired without any approach through an AD. It may be a courteous gesture, but there's no rule or protocol that governs it in college football or basketball. Brady Hoke was famously hired away from SDSU to Michigan without any such call to the Aztec AD, which drew his ire as well as begrudging acknowledgement that no one had to call him, only that it was a good practice.
But does that not mean they did the rude thing here does it? Its a rule of thumb most follow...whether or not they have too. Why sneak?

But does that not mean they did the rude thing here does it? Its a rule of thumb most follow...whether or not they have too. Why sneak?
My point was that most P5 conference coaches don't follow it. Very few do given the competitive nature of the sport. Wilson didn't follow it when he hired Allen from USF. IU didn't follow it when they hired Terry Hoeppner.

My point was that most P5 conference coaches don't follow it. Very few do given the competitive nature of the sport. Wilson didn't follow it when he hired Allen from USF. IU didn't follow it when they hired Terry Hoeppner.
How do you know that? Particularily with Hepp...my memories are a bit different. How do you know unreported unofficial contact wasnt made with USFs AD? Are you guessing, or do you know it for a fact. If so, how? Its very possible to find out. Also who do you know that was hired from a school without any contact with said school. Just claiming you know someone is a copout...to make that statement, you need be more specific.

How do you know that? Particularily with Hepp...my memories are a bit different. How do you know unreported unofficial contact wasnt made with USFs AD? Are you guessing, or do you know it for a fact. If so, how? Its very possible to find out. Also who do you know that was hired from a school without any contact with said school. Just claiming you know someone is a copout...to make that statement, you need be more specific.
Bob is Ordfan, man - he knows everything there is to know about football!

Did you know he flew to a game with the old IU Ticket Manager once? That proves he's an expert!

I know it for a fact. There are no rules in the NCAA or the big ten that govern this and coaches and their reps are routinely contacted directly without any inquiry thru an AD. As an example, I already offered Hoke. It was well known if you follow college football.

Last edited:

Did you know he flew to a game with the old IU Ticket Manager once? That proves he's an expert!
I'm not Ordfan, but I'll make it easy for you. Offer any proof to support what you're saying. Anything at all. It can't be difficult to find since you probably know how to work the system here. And when you can't, be adult enough to admit you were wrong and only trying to bully someone to compensate for your lack of chops here (the Jalen Hurts "analysis" was a joke). So, put up or shut up.

Last edited:
I know it for a fact. There are no rules in the NCAA or the big ten that govern this and coaches and their reps are routinely contacted directly without any inquiry thru an AD. As an example, I already offered Hoke. It was well known if you follow college football.
Correct....there are no "rules" per se, but there is a degree of decorum that they aspire to. Just like honoring a kid who had committed to the school before the coach got fired. That's not a rule either and it is common among coaches to do so, or tell the kid he has got an uphill climb against him as early as possible, except for PJ Fleck. He'll just cut ya loose....

Correct....there are no "rules" per se, but there is a degree of decorum that they aspire to. Just like honoring a kid who had committed to the school before the coach got fired. That's not a rule either and it is common among coaches to do so, or tell the kid he has got an uphill climb against him as early as possible, except for PJ Fleck. He'll just cut ya loose....
Didn't Kevin Wilson do that to some committed kids, too, only to have Fred Glass intervene and tell each of them that their scholarships would be honored? Most of those kids took the hint and went elsewhere.

As for decorum, it ain't what it used to be.

I'm not Ordfan, but I'll make it easy for you. Offer any proof to support what you're saying. Anything at all. It can't be difficult to find since you probably know how to work the system here. And when you can't, be adult enough to admit you were wrong and only trying to bully someone to compensate for your lack of chops here (the Jalen Hurts "analysis" was a joke). So, put up or shut up.

Ya may not be Ordfan, but then there's Spa, Helen Dell, Hartsel, or Kern County to choose from. Who else would post an average of 17 times a day the first couple of weeks after joining a site?

Reactions: JohnsyRick

All of this might be true....but in this case he actually is right.

Ya may not be Ordfan, but then there's Spa, Helen Dell, Hartsel, or Kern County to choose from. Who else would post an average of 17 times a day the first couple of weeks after joining a site?
You've researched and averaged the number of posts I make? That's kind of mind boggling. Why wouldn't you want to try and talk about IU spies instead?

I joined here to discuss IU football and basketball, which is what some people here choose to do. Others like you I guess, not so much. I'm sure there are other places to discuss these things. Looks like I need to check those out.

CTA didn't seek permission to speak to Heard or DeBord. Just kind of the way it goes

CTA didn't seek permission to speak to Heard or DeBord. Just kind of the way it goes

I don't think the expectation is there as much with hiring assistants, since assistants leaving doesn't blow a program up like a head coach leaving. Also, probably a bit different when Allen knew Heard and DeBord as well as he did.

I don't think the expectation is there as much with hiring assistants, since assistants leaving doesn't blow a program up like a head coach leaving. Also, probably a bit different when Allen knew Heard and DeBord as well as he did.
The main reason it isn't done is to safeguard anonymity in the process. Whether a head coach candidate or an assistant, no one wants it to get out that you're looking for another job, and no one wants it out that you were a candidate for a position and didn't get it. So they go directly to people and bypass anyone who doesn't need to know, including athletic directors.

The main reason it isn't done is to safeguard anonymity in the process. Whether a head coach candidate or an assistant, no one wants it to get out that you're looking for another job, and no one wants it out that you were a candidate for a position and didn't get it. So they go directly to people and bypass anyone who doesn't need to know, including athletic directors.
I think this is pretty much the way it works....these men have worked for and with dozens, if not hundreds of coaches through the years...lots of these types of conversations, all the time.

Reactions: Bligedy
Regarding the original topic...I think you could argue that either way. Watson and Debord were available because they were shown the door at previous stops if my impression of the facts is correct. Wilsons original staff (after all the dust cleared from multiple hirings/leavings the first few weeks) had some impressive credentials and it didn't matter much.

Im personally encouraged and optimistic.

Reactions: DANC
The proof is in the way you post, how you post - your insufferable arrogance (undeserved, since you never offer proof or identify any supposed inside souces) toward any opinion other than your own.

And you suddenly show up and post non-stop after your other IDs have been exposed.

It's a no-brainer, really.

It's such a stupid argument - who cares whether anyone contacted the AD or not before approaching someone to hire?

The proof is in the way you post, how you post - your insufferable arrogance (undeserved, since you never offer proof or identify any supposed inside souces) toward any opinion other than your own.

And you suddenly show up and post non-stop after your other IDs have been exposed.

It's a no-brainer, really.
So, you make baseless accusations and offer no proof. Thanks for confirming that you're not to be taken seriously. The only part you got right is your self description as a "no brainer".

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT