ADVERTISEMENT

Coach Wilson

I thought CTA told Glass he was not going to stay due to KW's issues and attitudes toward staff and players.
Glass had to choose one over the other.

Never once heard this. in fact Allen always speaks well of Wilson Provide the quote from Allen or anyone for that matter.

When I first heard CKW was going to be fired my first thought was we must have violations coming since Wilson was just extended. My second thought was oh no, we are going to lose Allen. When Glass announced the hire that night, I was extremely pleased.

I only said IU football was a better place when CKW left. I think Wilson was at his limit. But i don’t think what you state is true. If so, why would he be staying in touch with the program like he has?

Never once heard this. in fact Allen always speaks well of Wilson Provide the quote from Allen or anyone for that matter.

When I first heard CKW was going to be fired my first thought was we must have violations coming since Wilson was just extended. My second thought was oh no, we are going to lose Allen. When Glass announced the hire that night, I was extremely pleased.

I only said IU football was a better place when CKW left. I think Wilson was at his limit. But i don’t think what you state is true. If so, why would he be staying in touch with the program like he has?

It is not a secret that Wilson did not care for “Mr. Glass” as he always called him.

Hook or no hook it was a totally disrespectful thing to do
to a newly hired head coach by a jerk administration. No
wonder Corso and DiNardo kept telling other coaches, don 't
go to Indiana.

Old news.
December 2007 old.

We hired the guy. He wanted to wait until school was out in Oklahoma to buy a house and move his family here. Normal call. Where were we supposed to house him? A cot in the stadium? Ekeler's Winnebago?

He was given a suite/apartment in married student housing - not a dorm room in Eigenmann. It was a non issue. WAAAY off the map of "Things I Should Complain About As An IU Football Fan."

The main issue was he came in drunk and gave an RA the "don't you know who I am" treatment. Had nothing to do with IU mistreating him. And if you ever met him - like I did - you could tell he was an asshole. He usually made it pretty clear.

Remember the Boise State OC who spent a weekend as our OC?

Wilson was an offensive guru who was a mean drunk and would have had his ass kicked in every bar in my hometown. Probably in every bar in every small Southern Indiana town EXCEPT for Bloomingstan.

I appreciate the good things he did for the program, but he was no saint.

He was lucky they put a leash on him. Some AD's woulda given him $200 in cash and dropped him off in a place where they didn't care to take crap from a guy who thought he was important, let him stay a night in a small town jail, and kept a copy of the mug shot in his desk for the next time/last time.

Beat Maryland.

Last edited:
Mas-as said Allen threatened to leave because of Wilson. Your comments don’t apply to this discussion.
It was the entire culmination of events and the Glass-Wilson relationship was strained already. Allen didn’t agree with the Wilson tactics with his players and it was well-known that Wilson thought Glass should not interfere with his philosophy in how to run a football program. CKW had been warned by Glass prior to all of this about his mishandling of injuries.
The antics at Bloomington bars certainly didn’t help matters.

Here’s the thing. This was 4 years ago. What head coaching job did Wilson take after IU?

There is a reason for that.

Reactions: iueyedoc99
I miss Fake Coach Wilson more than Coach Wilson. Quality writing.

who was that?
How might that come back in the form of Ghost of John Pont” or Musings from The Bison

outstanding work by someone
He’s @iufbcommenter now, but tweets much less frequently.

Reactions: ESalum86
I thought CTA told Glass he was not going to stay due to KW's issues and attitudes toward staff and players.
I have never read or heard that. The assumption at the time was that TA was going to get poached (likely by an SEC school, specifically Ol Miss) unless Glass did something drastic, which he did.

It was awkward but he had a problematic HC who he needed to find a way to replace (and couldn’t afford to risk any further character/behavior issues), and a DC who he was not going to be able to afford to keep without a promotion.

Reactions: IU Fan 1989
Old news.
December 2007 old.

We hired the guy. He wanted to wait until school was out in Oklahoma to buy a house and move his family here. Normal call. Where were we supposed to house him? A cot in the stadium? Ekeler's Winnebago?

He was given a suite/apartment in married student housing - not a dorm room in Eigenmann. It was a non issue. WAAAY off the map of "Things I Should Complain About As An IU Football Fan."

The main issue was he came in drunk and gave an RA the "don't you know who I am" treatment. Had nothing to do with IU mistreating him. And if you ever met him - like I did - you could tell he was an asshole. He usually made it pretty clear.

Remember the Boise State OC who spent a weekend as our OC?

Wilson was an offensive guru who was a mean drunk and would have had his ass kicked in every bar in my hometown. Probably in every bar in every small Southern Indiana town EXCEPT for Bloomingstan.

I appreciate the good things he did for the program, but he was no saint.

He was lucky they put a leash on him. Some AD's woulda given him $200 in cash and dropped him off in a place where they didn't care to take crap from a guy who thought he was important, let him stay a night in a small town jail, and kept a copy of the mug shot in his desk for the next time/last time.

Beat Maryland.
The Boise guy (Brad something??) was a hot commodity at the time and CKWs “splash hire” as Boise was one of the hottest teams going.

He was on a plane headed back west within a week!

It would have been interesting to see more of a CKW offense with an Allen defense. It was only one season. That said, unless you have Allen running the show, you lose that sense of culture on the team and that’s the big difference. You can’t teach easily the kind of process that Allen installed. Some guys just have it: 100% buy-in, team above self, it’s about the guy next to you.

Wilson couldn’t ever get to that level. He didn’t have the emotional impact on his teams as Allen does with his.
That’s why we have taken the next step beyond CKW.

if you listen to Kane Womack, he might d of has a similar drawl to Wilson (“Southern Swagger”). But he’s an Allen mentee, and not a wackaddoodle of Wilson. So maybe with Sheridan being tutoredunder DeBoer, IU can have a bit of best of both worlds. But I think Allen is perfect fit for IU.

Glades, as you may know from my posts on the NU forum, I'm a former Evanstonian during the Peay and Barnett years. Unlike Bloomington, Evanston isn't exactly known for it's night life. So gotta ask, when OC at NU, where was KW hanging out? The Keg, Nevin's, Pete Miller's or the Omni Orrington? Not many other choices.

The Boise guy (Brad something??) was a hot commodity at the time and CKWs “splash hire” as Boise was one of the hottest teams going.

He was on a plane headed back west within a week!
Brent Pease.
Was Boise WR coach. Got called 2 weeks after his IU contract offered as OC out there.

Pease really had his best success at UK with Guy Morris previously. After IU, Pease was OC for like a season at Boise, followed HC Peterson to Washington, got fired there, went to Florida and fired within 2 seasons, same at UTEP. He’s bounced around everywhere.

Reactions: 82hoosier
We had a supposed blue star committee advising IU on coaching selection. Very prominent football guys like Bill Polian.

If he was such an a-hole at NU, which I don't doubt he was, that had to be known by that committee.

I mean, we don't hire Knight progeny for basketball because the university doesn't want to be associated with such uncouth and deplorable individuals (unless they're winning national championships). It's really inexplicable to me we'd hire a guy like Wilson. And that's not a comment on his coaching abilities, which I think are very good - on offense.
The reason we don’t hire Knight progeny is not because they’re uncouth or deplorable...

I never heard that anywhere until just now. Doesn't pass the smell test.

Glass made a mistake in extending KW but made it right and had to navigate a fairly complex set of due process aspects of HR life in a government subsidized institution.

Reactions: IU Fan 1989
I never heard that anywhere until just now. Doesn't pass the smell test.

Glass made a mistake in extending KW but made it right and had to navigate a fairly complex set of due process aspects of HR life in a government subsidized institution.
Others with credibility have affirmed that possibility.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT