ADVERTISEMENT

Coach Wilson

Coach Wilson had some comments about about Indiana on the Ryan Day Show today in Columbus. I love Coach Allen but CKW made IU Football a better place while he was here.

The comments are at the end of the podcast starting at 53:10 for about two minutes.
He definitely made Hoosier football better on the offensive side of the ball. But I also remember things like Navy never punting the ball.

Coach Wilson really helped with a culture change. He caught some heat for ripping those jackasses Zac and Jack, but that attitude contributed to today's success.

This is a process that started with Hoeppner and Greenspan. Wilson came across as a jerk, but it was necessary. Allen has the talent and passion to finish the rebuild off.

PU fans like to say after this year we will return to the bottom of the BIG (exact same thing they said last year). The last 15 years is the first team IU has ever truly invested in FB. I don't think this is a flash in the pan, but the start of something big.

I will always appreciate the attitude that Wilson instilled in the program starting with that radio show. It was not going to be ok to be everyone’s homecoming game. I didn’t always agree with things but appreciated the (what I consider) beginning.
He also gave us something special - Coach Allen

Coach Wilson had some comments about about Indiana on the Ryan Day Show today in Columbus. I love Coach Allen but CKW made IU Football a better place while he was here.

The comments are at the end of the podcast starting at 53:10 for about two minutes.
As a Bloomington resident, I disagree with your assessment that IU was a better place because of CKW. Remember the player abuse incidents? Remember that his drinking made him persona non grata in Bloomington? Coach Allen is a far better leader for IU football.

As a Bloomington resident, I disagree with your assessment that IU was a better place because of CKW. Remember the player abuse incidents? Remember that his drinking made him persona non grata in Bloomington? Coach Allen is a far better leader for IU football.
Agreed that Allen is a far better leader, but let's remember who brought him to Bloomington.

Wilson
Coach Wilson really helped with a culture change. He caught some heat for ripping those jackasses Zac and Jack, but that attitude contributed to today's success.

This is a process that started with Hoeppner and Greenspan. Wilson came across as a jerk, but it was necessary. Allen has the talent and passion to finish the rebuild off.

PU fans like to say after this year we will return to the bottom of the BIG (exact same thing they said last year). The last 15 years is the first team IU has ever truly invested in FB. I don't think this is a flash in the pan, but the start of something big.
Coach Wilson didn’t just “come across as a jerk”. Wilson was a jerk, and much more than the casual fan realized. It absolutely wasn’t necessary and put a lid on his effectiveness.

I do miss aspects of his coaching, but I had heard too much from too many credible sources to think he was going to be around long enough to finish the job.

Wilson

Coach Wilson didn’t just “come across as a jerk”. Wilson was a jerk, and much more than the casual fan realized. It absolutely wasn’t necessary and put a lid on his effectiveness.

I do miss aspects of his coaching, but I had heard too much from too many credible sources to think he was going to be around long enough to finish the job.
Both Sampson and Wilson came from OU. That's the culture down there.

Fred Glass should get a Medal of Honor for his years of doing damage control for the antics of CKW. Your new hire is on campus for barely 2 weeks and he’s having a drunkin run in with an RA?
Having to arrange a chauffeur because the coach cannot drive?
Glass was trying to resuscitate football and lands Wilson and within 14 days, CKW was already hitting the sauce and staggering around lost in a college dorm.
Glass had to be beside himself wondering what kind of PR nightmare that this might become.

Agreed that Allen is a far better leader, but let's remember who brought him to Bloomington.

It would have been interesting to see more of a CKW offense with an Allen defense. It was only one season. That said, unless you have Allen running the show, you lose that sense of culture on the team and that’s the big difference. You can’t teach easily the kind of process that Allen installed. Some guys just have it: 100% buy-in, team above self, it’s about the guy next to you.

Wilson couldn’t ever get to that level. He didn’t have the emotional impact on his teams as Allen does with his.
That’s why we have taken the next step beyond CKW.

Fred Glass should get a Medal of Honor for his years of doing damage control for the antics of CKW. Your new hire is on campus for barely 2 weeks and he’s having a drunkin run in with an RA?
Glass was trying to resuscitate football and lands Wilson and within 14 days, CKW was already hitting the sauce and staggering around lost in a college dorm.
Glass had to be beside himself wondering what kind of PR nightmare that this might become.
Really wasn't aware of all of that stuff . No you werent responding to my post and Barry was an ass but would we not have all taken his record? I had no clue about CKW that and he had no record of winning . I was responding to the OU part and they had some damn good coaches, Bud Wilkinson as well maybe we hired on that lineage? I hated OU when he was there but I'd take Barry Switzer in his prime anyday as just a coach..........problems always arise and I think problems of different kinds. Bob Knight kind of spoiled us on coaches

Not to mention I think 5 of his first 6 or 7 hires skipped town before the ink was dry on their contracts! Not a good sign.

Wilson was a D-coordinator away from hitting a home run in Bloomington. Imagine Wilson and Allen together for the 2015 season. I'll bet a large wager that Indiana plays in a much, much bigger bowl than the Pinstripe Bowl...

If I were to ever encounter KW, I would let him know how appreciative I am of his efforts.

Attitude and talent-wise, Wilson did real good things for IU. And The offenses of '12, '13 and '15 were fun to watch and difficult for opponents to play. Too bad he couldn't bring in a BT level qb in those years while losing Trey to transfer and Sudfeld to gradation. Just Average defenses would have produced a couple more wins in each of those years.

The biggest reason IU made it back to a bowl game in '16 was the defense that TA worked miracles with in his first year. The O had a few decent games, but overall the D won the MSU, PU and Rutgers games. The O ranked near the bottom nationally in '16 in Red Zone efficiency due to frequent RL picks, Oakes having a bad year, injuries to the OL resulting in a poor run game. By mid-season, due to these struggles, Wilson had to turn to the Big Bacon/Diamont package to not only score, but hold onto the ball in red zone.

I thank Wilson for his time and effort in turning around the attitude. A shame he couldn't over come his off field issues and injured players stance. Has worked out well for him at OSU and for TA at IU.

Oh, and I have liked the fact that upon all his ex-IU players' graduations, he has mentioned how proud he is of them on Twitter.

Last edited:
Not to mention I think 5 of his first 6 or 7 hires skipped town before the ink was dry on their contracts! Not a good sign.
I'd forgotten about that. Yes, that should have tipped us off right there.
I had too. At the time I think we all just assumed it was facilities or the quality of players or better offers, not that the coach was impossible to work for.

What kind of program puts their newly hired football coach
up in a student dorm? No serious fb program would pull
such a dumb stunt, hell even Kentucky football would have more
respect for their head coach than that.

It
It’s safe to say there was a lot to adjust to from both parties!

If some RA had cut in front of me in the lunch line I would have beaten his ass too! 😁

Reactions: Kelly_32
It was actually an apartment in the dorm. It wasn't like he was in a student's room.

And it was in the summer, when there wouldn't have been many students in there.

It doesn't get Wilson off the hook for being a jerk.

Reactions: vesuvius13
Both Sampson and Wilson came from OU. That's the culture down there.

Before that, he coached at Northwestern with Walker, and he was a flaming asshole back then. Despite his offense winning a share of the Big Ten championship in 2000, he was pushed out of Evanston because of his abusiveness towards players.

Reactions: DANC and vesuvius13
Really wasn't aware of all of that stuff . No you werent responding to my post and Barry was an ass but would we not have all taken his record? I had no clue about CKW that and he had no record of winning . I was responding to the OU part and they had some damn good coaches, Bud Wilkinson as well maybe we hired on that lineage? I hated OU when he was there but I'd take Barry Switzer in his prime anyday as just a coach..........problems always arise and I think problems of different kinds. Bob Knight kind of spoiled us on coaches
His alcohol escapades around town were pretty well known. He was not a gentleman while drinking.
Soured a lot of in-town folks' impression of him, and made Fred Glass' decision to keep Allen a lot easier. I'm no fan of Glass, but one should give credit when due.
The Allen hire was money!

Before that, he coached at Northwestern with Walker, and he was a flaming asshole back then. Despite his offense winning a share of the Big Ten championship in 2000, he was pushed out of Evanston because of his abusiveness towards players.
We had a supposed blue star committee advising IU on coaching selection. Very prominent football guys like Bill Polian.

If he was such an a-hole at NU, which I don't doubt he was, that had to be known by that committee.

I mean, we don't hire Knight progeny for basketball because the university doesn't want to be associated with such uncouth and deplorable individuals (unless they're winning national championships). It's really inexplicable to me we'd hire a guy like Wilson. And that's not a comment on his coaching abilities, which I think are very good - on offense.

Last edited:
I thought CTA told Glass he was not going to stay due to KW's issues and attitudes toward staff and players.
Glass had to choose one over the other.
He picked well.

I hadn't heard that, but doesn't surprise me a bit that's how it went down.

It was actually an apartment in the dorm. It wasn't like he was in a student's room.

And it was in the summer, when there wouldn't have been many students in there.

It doesn't get Wilson off the hook for being a jerk.
Hook or no hook it was a totally disrespectful thing to do
to a newly hired head coach by a jerk administration. No
wonder Corso and DiNardo kept telling other coaches, don 't
go to Indiana.

go to Indiana.
I suppose you're right - these coaches aren't coddled enough.

Reactions: hookyIU1990
go to Indiana.
I'd suspect part of the theory here was that he could basically fall out of bed (unintentional irony here, given the booze rumors) and be at the football complex, which was about 3 blocks away. This was likely all about convenience, and saving a few bucks wasn't on any "jerk administrator's" mind. That same administrator is responsible for the fully enclosed football stadium, BTW.

I'd suspect part of the theory here was that he could basically fall out of bed (unintentional irony here, given the booze rumors) and be at the football complex, which was about 3 blocks away. This was likely all about convenience, and saving a few bucks wasn't on any "jerk administrator's" mind. That same administrator is responsible for the fully enclosed football stadium, BTW.
Sounds like it was more like fall into the bed. ;)

Reactions: muubell
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT