ADVERTISEMENT

Coach Wellman

I wonder if he wasn't a bad fit, coming from the NFL. Those guys don't need to get bigger, faster, stronger, they're as big, fast and strong as they're going to get, they just need to keep toned and flexible to fight injury. And they all have private trainers in the off-season. At the college level players need to grow in every way.

Was he using NFL methods? I wouldn't think so but who knows.

He had coached at San Diego , Michigan , and Notre Dame at the college level before going to the Giants the first time . So I think he knows how to work with college kids . A&M and ND both contacted him so they must think he knows what he is doing . As an assistant coach you have to coach to the system that the head coach wants or is running .

These posts feel weirdly personal. I had never asked myself where I thought the S and C conditioning coach would wind up, but I guess I'm glad that he's been vindicated and cleared of all wrongdoing while working here and headed to another job.

He had coached at San Diego , Michigan , and Notre Dame at the college level before going to the Giants the first time . So I think he knows how to work with college kids . A&M and ND both contacted him so they must think he knows what he is doing . As an assistant coach you have to coach to the system that the head coach wants or is running .
I'm sure you're right and it makes sense ... it's just that I watched our linemen, on both sides of the ball, getting pushed around and I had to wonder "what is the strength coach doing about it?"

I mean, Ballou and Rhea are widely considered the best in the business, so anyone we got after them was most likely going to have a drop-off.

Still though, our guys seemed to get hurt at a much higher rate then before. Not good.
I'm excited to see what obvious changes our new S & C coaches, Derek Owings & Nate Adams achieve.

Reactions: midwolfe and 76-1
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT