ADVERTISEMENT

CJ Gunn looks like a winner, maybe the best in a while

go_iu

All-Big Ten
Feb 22, 2004
Someone posted something about him making 9 3's earlier. I tried to watch it, but wouldn't come up, so just googled his highlights. This is the type of player we need, and many more of them. Can get his own shot and hit it, good size, plays D, and most importantly does not have this ridiculous hitch in their shooting form that they need a 5 second set shot release time. I'm not sure where that is coming from, maybe better athletes on D over the years? Who knows, but thank God, it looks like he doesn't suffer from that problem.

This is going to be one of those threads where we look at it in 3 years and laugh about how wrong we were

There’s a reason he isn’t ranked in the top 100. You’re writing about him like he’s a program changer, he isn’t

This is going to be one of those threads where we look at it in 3 years and laugh about how wrong we were

There’s a reason he isn’t ranked in the top 100. You’re writing about him like he’s a program changer, he isn’t

Maybe because last summer scouts didn't get a chance to watch centralized events.

Meanwhile, he's putting up good numbers on one of the top teams in the country. Lawrence North, Carmel, Cathedral and Homestead would be among the top teams vs. any high profile prep school -- partly due to enough star talent, but also due to superior coaching.

Rankings don't mean crap outside of the top 20 or 30.

Maybe because last summer scouts didn't get a chance to watch centralized events.

Meanwhile, he's putting up good numbers on one of the top teams in the country. Lawrence North, Carmel, Cathedral and Homestead would be among the top teams vs. any high profile prep school -- partly due to enough star talent, but also due to superior coaching.

Rankings don't mean crap outside of the top 20 or 30.
those teams would not be competitive vs the top prep teams in the country

Victor Oladipo ... OG Anunoby... Who knows if he will be that good or even end up at IU, but treating the top 100 juniors in high school as gospel is pretty far off.

I have no problem with discussion of verballed recruits but I do think Miller is likely to be facing some pressure to improve pretty soon. Certainly before Gunn would arrive. I don't know how relevant it is unless Miller is back next season and shows improvement.

I could be wrong, but just eye test, he looks like the most fluid and ready to contribute recruit we've had in a while. Not an AM fan at all, and if he goes, I still hope we get Gunn

IDK, just watching his highlights, it looks like he's got a lot of Ja Morant in him. Maybe not the passing yet, but maybe better shooter

Victor Oladipo ... OG Anunoby... Who knows if he will be that good or even end up at IU, but treating the top 100 juniors in high school as gospel is pretty far off.

i could write a list of 100 guys long, there’s always gonna be a diamond in the rough and if finding hidden gems at what seems to me to be a 5% success rate is our strategy we are screwed

i could write a list of 100 guys long, there’s always gonna be a diamond in the rough and if finding hidden gems at what seems to me to be a 5% success rate is our strategy we are screwed

You're an idiot and should just stop talking. There's two reasons why Gunn doesn't have a long offer sheet.

1) didn't get a chance to showcase his ability on the AAU circuit this past summer playing on one of the better AAU teams in the country. Had been a role player on his high school team as a sophomore on the best team in the state.

2) Doesn't have elite athleticism.

CJ Gunn has the best skill-set of any guard Archie has recruited other than Romeo. He's a three-level scorer, a long and rangy defender who shoots the three ball very well. It's very well possible that the pandemic was a blessing in disguise as CJ Gunn's recruitment almost surely would have taken off. I don't care what he's ranked, I challenge you to find me 106 better basketball players in the 2022 class.

IDK, just watching his highlights, it looks like he's got a lot of Ja Morant in him. Maybe not the passing yet, but maybe better shooter
Weren't you the guy comparing Lander to Trae Young (only better because he doesn't push off all the time)? Glad you're excited for our recruits, but come on!

Last edited:
Weren't you the guy comparing Lander to Trae Young? Glad you're excited for our recruits, but come on!

Ja Morant is not a good comparison. Ja Morant is a point guard and about as athletic as they come. I'm sticking to my Mo Creek comparison. Long and rangy players who are good but not great athletes who can score in a variety of ways.

Reactions: MrBing and kkott
Ja Morant is not a good comparison. Ja Morant is a point guard and about as athletic as they come. I'm sticking to my Mo Creek comparison. Long and rangy players who are good but not great athletes who can score in a variety of ways.
I agree and could see that from a few of Gunn's highlights. I guess he did say "has a little Morant in him", but just a poor comparison to pick one of the most electric players in the NBA right now. Mo Creek seems a much more reasonable comparison and would be excellent if so. Creek looked great early in his career and still found ways to produce later.

Someone posted something about him making 9 3's earlier. I tried to watch it, but wouldn't come up, so just googled his highlights. This is the type of player we need, and many more of them. Can get his own shot and hit it, good size, plays D, and most importantly does not have this ridiculous hitch in their shooting form that they need a 5 second set shot release time. I'm not sure where that is coming from, maybe better athletes on D over the years? Who knows, but thank God, it looks like he doesn't suffer from that problem.
In the thread below I posted a youtube video of the game. It seems to be working.

Does have a smooth shot with high elevation. Better than Johnson in that part of the game.

But I doubt he's a Creek-type scorer. He's putting up 15 ppg right now.

He’s also playing on a loaded Lawrence North team that has several other D1 prospects. Kid could go down the street to Lawrence Central, take 25 shots a game, and you wouldn’t be making that comment.

Reactions: kkott
I have heard a more athletic Robert Johnson.
No, not at all. Bigger, more fluid, betted defender. He plays above the rim on offense and defense. I say Ja Morant without the passing based on the way he finishes, but some others say Mo Creek. I can see the Creek comparison, but Mo really never played above the rim. About the same athleticism though, we'll see

Weren't you the guy comparing Lander to Trae Young (only better because he doesn't push off all the time)? Glad you're excited for our recruits, but come on!
Yes, and if Lander stays long enough and develops his shot further, I'll be proven right. Trae Young needs an offensive foul move on every single drive from college to still today to get to the rim. Just google his highlights, it's a consistent aspect of him driving the ball where he's just whipping a defender off with his left arm all day long. It's a foul all day long in my book. What astonishes me is how he has gotten away with it for so long. So yes, if Lander, who can create separation with his feet and handles (as you should) grows a shot. Then yes, I'd say ceiling is higher. One of these days, somebody's going to catch on to what Young is doing. It's not only that now, he now has this new move where he just stops and lets people run into his back to go to the line. Steve Nash called it "not basketball". I agree, hope some big dude hits him pulling that shit. I just hate his game.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT