ADVERTISEMENT

Chuck Marlowe and Dick The Bruiser

CriticArisen

Senior
Sep 21, 2005
This is the only video I could find of Bruiser and Chuck together-

Coach Knight has very nice words for Chuck at the end of this video and I am sure they meant a lot to him.

Here is a Moose Cholak match. The crowd hated him so much they started throwing eggs

The only thing that can be thrown into the ring are spectators
Not the most PC description of the challenger
The Flying Body Press
The ref digging in his ass

That pin was awfully fast...if i didn't know better, i would say this was fixed.

So back in '71/'72, some high school friends of mine and I went to a "wrastling" night in Beech Grove and the Bruiser was featured. The highlight of the night was when Baron Von Raschke (would be a pc-incorrect nazi today) was entering the ring as old ladies were swinging their purses at him and everyone was booing. Everyone except us, who were wisely way up in the nosebleed section. We were screaming in a standing ovation. Not only did the crowd turn and leer at us, but the Baron stopped turned and looked up at us (like "are you trying to ruin my bad rep?"). Ah, the good old days!

So back in '71/'72, some high school friends of mine and I went to a "wrastling" night in Beech Grove and the Bruiser was featured. The highlight of the night was when Baron Von Raschke (would be a pc-incorrect nazi today) was entering the ring as old ladies were swinging their purses at him and everyone was booing. Everyone except us, who were wisely way up in the nosebleed section. We were screaming in a standing ovation. Not only did the crowd turn and leer at us, but the Baron stopped turned and looked up at us (like "are you trying to ruin my bad rep?"). Ah, the good old days!
Yeah. When you were in the crowd and felt the brotherhood of 100% hate it was like being part of the rapture.

Ah the good old days with the Bruiser and his cousin, the Crusher.
My Dad was a friend of Bill Quilliam in Washington Indiana. Bill wrote a column for the Washington Times Herald and would always refer to his wife as, "The Crusher". I laughed every time he referred to her. I enjoyed going to the 4th Street Diner, the former Pancake House in Washington with Dad and Bill would be there. The stories they told were so funny.

Last edited:
Reactions: CriticArisen
Oh yes, my favorite was the tag team matches with The Bruiser teaming up with Sailor Art Thomas to take on The Legion. We would drag the mattress off our beds and wrestle right along with them; using the bed post as the corner to jump from.

I was young but DTB was awesome as was Yukon Moose Cholak.

Just hold it right there. I watched Moose Cholak being introduced in the squared circle multiple times. Moose was from Moosehead, Maine. Please take note: Moosehead, Maine: East; Yukon: Far West. Please stop with the fake news.

Aside: One of my bucket list items was to have a drink in Moose's bar on Chicago's South Side. Moose's demise made this trip moot.

I met The Brusier a couple times in hs when he & Wilbur Snyder would bring their wrestling group to our hs gym for matches. To me he came off friendlier than Snyder did though he was suppose to be the heel & Snyder the good guy.

I had an aunt that was a next door neighbor to Gorgeous George When I would visit her , her husband would take me over to visit with GG, if he wasn't on the road. Uncle took me to a match between GG & Dick at the old Ampitheater in Chicago where they were the main event. GG invited us back to his dressing room afterwards & Dick was there drinking a beer, laughing & having a good time. To a 10 yr old kid Dick was a big man. His gravely voice was from a football injury when he played for the Packer, forearm to the throat iirc.

lmao .............

Wrong neighborhood .. banjos ....yikes..

*chuckle under breath*

I'll..... ugh ... show myself out.

Last edited:
Reactions: kkott
Let’s not forget the Shire Brothers, Yukon King, and Bobo “the Coco Butt” Brazil.

I remember Clark Kellogg referred to the "Coco Butt" during a college basketball game once. The play by play man wanted an explanation of the term but Clark just moved on.

I remember Clark Kellogg referred to the "Coco Butt" during a college basketball game once. The play by play man wanted an explanation of the term but Clark just moved on.
BoBo only used it as a last resort/time-to-go-in-for-the-kill type of moment. The head-to-head confrontation immediately paralyzed the recipient, ending the match in an easy three count. The crowd went wild. “The Coco Butt” was his trademark. As young kids, we used to sing, “Jimmy, Jimmy Coco Butt, Jimmy Jimmy butt...” I don’t know if it was from a song lyric at the time or just some silliness of kids, but whatever it was, we sang it all the time.

FWIW, back in the ‘80’s, I used to be in a small Friday night couples bible study group with Clark Kellogg. The five guys in the group decided to meet for brunch one Saturday, which I thought was about as absurd as meeting every other Friday night. Come the end of a long work week and I was ready for a beer, not my bible. Anyway, these guys, my church friends including Clark, met and the meeting of the minds lasted so long that I started to grow uncomfortable because there was a noontime IU game on national TV I was in no way going to miss. I finally had to explain, “Bobby Knight is my God and I need to excuse because IU basketball comes on TV in 15 min. One of the other guys said, “Frankly, what I hear you say I find quite disturbing.” I didn’t stick around long enough for their follow up comments-I had a game to watch. IU lost that particular game. It was not a good day for me.

In the 70s I went to a wrestling exhibition at my high school featuring Dick the Bruiser. It was hilarious just watching the people in the crowd who were so into it.

I distinctly remember a white haired old lady loudly booing all of the bad guys. She had no teeth and her mouth was stuffed with chewing tobacco. In between boos she would chew so hard that her chin seemed to smack against her substantial nose. Everything about her screamed "wrestling fan" and I like to think she drove up from Kentucky.

Last edited:
In the 70s I went to a wrestling exhibition at my high school featuring Dick the Bruiser. It was hilarious just watching the people in the crowd who were so into it.

I distinctly remember a white haired old lady loudly booing all of the bad guys. She had no teeth and her mouth was stuffed with chewing tobacco. In between boos she would chew so hard that her chin seemed to smack against her substantial nose. Everything about her screamed "wrestling fan" and I like to think she drove up from Kentucky.

Former Golden Girl.

Reactions: outside shooter
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT