ADVERTISEMENT

Chicago Transit Question

iubud

Hall of Famer
Aug 7, 2003
I'm flying into O'Hare at 7:44 Monday morning. I am going to a show at the McCormick Place that day, but I first want to drop my luggage off at my hotel on E Huron. I am not renting a car and will be relying on trains and Uber. I know I can take the Blue Line to Washington from the airport. I'm not sure the best way to get from Washington (near my hotel) to hotel on Huron and to McCormick Place. What train drops off at McCormick and can I get there from Huron or the Magnificent Mile? I could get a Uber at Washington and go to McCormick with a stop at my hotel.

Getting back is not an issue as I should be with several others I am meeting at the show. We are hosting a party on top of the Godfrey Hotel. Our meetings the next day should be fun!

I'm flying into O'Hare at 7:44 Monday morning. I am going to a show at the McCormick Place that day, but I first want to drop my luggage off at my hotel on E Huron. I am not renting a car and will be relying on trains and Uber. I know I can take the Blue Line to Washington from the airport. I'm not sure the best way to get from Washington (near my hotel) to hotel on Huron and to McCormick Place. What train drops off at McCormick and can I get there from Huron or the Magnificent Mile? I could get a Uber at Washington and go to McCormick with a stop at my hotel.

Getting back is not an issue as I should be with several others I am meeting at the show. We are hosting a party on top of the Godfrey Hotel. Our meetings the next day should be fun!
You might want to check transitchicago.com, the CTA's web site, for current information.

Blue line to Washington and then Uber the rest of the trip. Look at it this way, say you do five rides total for the trip on the L costing you $14 or so after the card fee. The same 5 Uber downtown Uber rides for short distances will cost 25-30 maybe a little more. After the hassle of dealing with the L you saved yourself 20 bucks... not worth it. Plus you’re downtown so walking is an interesting option. The only value the L provides you is from the airport to Washington. Every site you listed is relatively close to each other for Uber.

You have several options. Check with Mccormick Place, they likely do a luggage check. If they do then just take the Blue line and transfer to the green or red line down town and take to the Cermak stop. It would then be a 10 minute walk to Mccormick.

If you want to drop off luggage at hotel, I would get off at Grand (several stops before Washington) and take an Uber to your hotel and then an Uber to Mccormick.

Trying to take a train from your hotel on E Huron to Mccormick wouldn't be worth it as you would have walks on both ends, when an Uber should take 15 min tops.

You have several options. Check with Mccormick Place, they likely do a luggage check. If they do then just take the Blue line and transfer to the green or red line down town and take to the Cermak stop. It would then be a 10 minute walk to Mccormick.

If you want to drop off luggage at hotel, I would get off at Grand (several stops before Washington) and take an Uber to your hotel and then an Uber to Mccormick.

Trying to take a train from your hotel on E Huron to Mccormick wouldn't be worth it as you would have walks on both ends, when an Uber should take 15 min tops.
I'm curious why you recommend the Grand stop? Is it more convenient to catch an Uber than Washington? My thought is to limit the amount I walk as current forecasts shows possible rain and a high of 46.

Storing my luggage at McCormick is an option, but I don't want to carry and store my backpack with my computer.

Thanks!

I'm curious why you recommend the Grand stop? Is it more convenient to catch an Uber than Washington? My thought is to limit the amount I walk as current forecasts shows possible rain and a high of 46.

Storing my luggage at McCormick is an option, but I don't want to carry and store my backpack with my computer.

Thanks!

If your hotel is on E Huron then an Uber is just a straight shot east from the Grand stop. If you stay on till Washington you are getting into the heart of the Loop at rush hour and then trying to find your Uber in the Loop. It's gonna save you 15 minutes I'm guessing.

If your hotel is on E Huron then an Uber is just a straight shot east from the Grand stop. If you stay on till Washington you are getting into the heart of the Loop at rush hour and then trying to find your Uber in the Loop. It's gonna save you 15 minutes I'm guessing.
Good information to know. That makes sense and something I wouldn't have learned until after the fact. I'm staying at the Hampton on E Huron and expect to walk to the Godfrey for our reception/party and Uber back to the Hampton unless we walk back as a group.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT