ADVERTISEMENT

Chairman of Joint Chiefs thought Trump might attempt a legit coup

TheOriginalHappyGoat

Oct 4, 2010
Margaritaville
In yet another book excerpt about the absurdity of the end of the Trump presidency, Mark Milley was genuinely concerned that Trump might try to hold onto power unconstitutionally:

"They may try, but they're not going to f**king succeed," Milley told his deputies...he told subordinates: "You can't do this without the military. You can't do this without the CIA and the FBI. We're the guys with the guns."​

Thank God his worries were unfounded, but it's pretty darn crazy that these conversations even needed to happen.

In yet another book excerpt about the absurdity of the end of the Trump presidency, Mark Milley was genuinely concerned that Trump might try to hold onto power unconstitutionally:

"They may try, but they're not going to f**king succeed," Milley told his deputies...he told subordinates: "You can't do this without the military. You can't do this without the CIA and the FBI. We're the guys with the guns."​

Thank God his worries were unfounded, but it's pretty darn crazy that these conversations even needed to happen.
More fake news from CNN.

What a hack job of an article.

Reactions: mohoosier and DANC
More nonsense from you. The authors are Pulitzer Prize-winning journalists. They're credible, unlike the people who write the crap that you lap up.
None of them are credible. That's what you have not figured out yet. CNN lied to you repeatedly over the past 4 years...repeatedly. Their ratings have cratered since the Bad Orange Man left and they have not had him to counter program for the past 6 months. People did not go to CNN for news, they went to CNN because they were the "We Hate Trump" network, and like Fox services conservatives with red meat to lap up, CNN is throwing you what you want to hear as well.

"OMG, we almost had a coup and this one General said that was not going to happen because they had the guns" (threatening to turn the military/FBI/CIA on the American people is a-okay though).

Also in the book, General Milley told aides the US was facing a "Reichstag moment" because Trump was "preaching the gospel of the Fuhrer."

Milley is reported to have believed long before the Capitol attack that "Trump was stoking unrest, possibly in hopes of an excuse to invoke the Insurrection Act and call out the military."

None of them are credible. That's what you have not figured out yet. CNN lied to you repeatedly over the past 4 years...repeatedly. Their ratings have cratered since the Bad Orange Man left and they have not had him to counter program for the past 6 months. People did not go to CNN for news, they went to CNN because they were the "We Hate Trump" network, and like Fox services conservatives with red meat to lap up, CNN is throwing you what you want to hear as well.

"OMG, we almost had a coup and this one General said that was not going to happen because they had the guns" (threatening to turn the military/FBI/CIA on the American people is a-okay though).
Why are you obsessing about CNN? They had nothing to do with this book. You're clueless.

Did CNN write this book?

Reactions: DrHoops
Isn't that what Lincoln did when states tried a coup?
Nobody tried a ****ing coup Marv. No one. Even the people being rounded up for Jan 6, not a one of them is being charged with sedition or of being a traitor. Not one. They are being charged with minor offenses.

Think about it, there are enough guns in this country for every man, woman, and child to have one. And this group that was supposedly looking to perpetrate a coup shows up with almost none. No AR-15's, no long rifles, no shots fired from the people committing the "coup". It was a protest that got completely out of hand and people who got out of hand (I don't believe showing up to peacefully protest, even if you were in the building would qualify for that) should be punished accordingly.

Your comment is as out of proportion to reality as Biden's comment about the voting legislation in many states being the biggest test of Democracy since the Civil War.

Nobody tried a ****ing coup Marv. No one. Even the people being rounded up for Jan 6, not a one of them is being charged with sedition or of being a traitor. Not one. They are being charged with minor offenses.

Think about it, there are enough guns in this country for every man, woman, and child to have one. And this group that was supposedly looking to perpetrate a coup shows up with almost none. No AR-15's, no long rifles, no shots fired from the people committing the "coup". It was a protest that got completely out of hand and people who got out of hand (I don't believe showing up to peacefully protest, even if you were in the building would qualify for that) should be punished accordingly.

Your comment is as out of proportion to reality as Biden's comment about the voting legislation in many states being the biggest test of Democracy since the Civil War.
You do not even try any more do you, just stuck on libtard bad.

He was saying if there were a coup the military, FBI, CIA, would stick with the chain of command which would not include a former president. You said he was threatening the American people. No, that is damn lie. He was saying if there were a coup. Not any damn thing about January 6. Why YOU made this about Jan 6 is unclear. If there is a coup, which freaking side do you expect the military to be on?

The entire article was full of over the top rhetoric from the writer of the article, not the book. That is CNN dumbass.
Milley's comments, quoted verbatim in the book, are being covered by several major news outlets as they should be. It's not every day when the highest-ranking US military officer refers to the country facing a "Reichstag moment" because a US president is "preaching the gospel of the Fuhrer." I know this is painful for you, as a Trump devotee. Sadly, it's just more evidence of what a horribly destructive president and person Trump was/is.

"Milley apologized after being seen as too close to Trump in June 2020, when, wearing military fatigues, he joined the President in a controversial photo-op after protesters were cleared from the square outside the White House."

Gee, I wonder what type of motivation Milley would have to leak his "I was a tough guy against Trump who was trying to overthrow the U.S. at the end...GMAFB.

The entire article was full of over the top rhetoric from the writer of the article, not the book. That is CNN dumbass.
There are a half dozen articles from a half dozen other web sites reported the same information. CNN in this case is not spinning anything. I haven't checked Fox, but they might be spinning something.

• Haha
Reactions: DANC
Milley's comments, quoted verbatim in the book, are being covered by several major news outlets as they should be. It's not every day when the highest-ranking US military officer refers to a president's "Reichstag moment." I know this is painful for you, as a Trump devotee. Sadly, it's just more evidence of what a horribly destructive president and person Trump was/is.
I am not a Trump devotee. I wholly hope he stays out of the next election. I'm just not willing to follow a narrative that I believe is half baked by people looking to throw dirt on a guy that they were just fine with working with because now it is good for their careers to do so.

Trump is an egotistical asshole and narcissist. I have no problem believing that. I think he is in it for himself. However, you have to use a little critical eye when taking all this in.

You believe Trump was literally American Hitler so anything that supports that idea is going to be solid facts to you. If he was that bad of a threat, Milley is a damn hack for supporting him for four years. Coming out after the fact to say what he was going to do is CYA. He was so concerned a coup was happening that he did nothing when the Dictator's People's Army was literally taking over the Capitol (as you all would tell it). You have a brain, use it.

You believe Trump was literally American Hitler so anything that supports that idea is going to be solid facts to you. If he was that bad of a threat, Milley is a damn hack for supporting him for four years. Coming out after the fact to say what he was going to do is CYA. He was so concerned a coup was happening that he did nothing when the Dictator's People's Army was literally taking over the Capitol (as you all would tell it). You have a brain, use it.
Don't create a strawman argument and put words in my mouth. I never said Trump was "American Hitler." I quoted General Milley, who clearly believed Trump was a threat to American democracy. And, while you've disgracefully labeled the highest-ranking US military officer a "damn hack," I'm sure as hell glad he was in the position he held at a time when our country was facing its gravest internal threat since the Civil War.

• Haha
Reactions: DANC
Don't create a strawman argument and put words in my mouth. I never said Trump was "American Hitler." I quoted General Milley, who clearly believed Trump was a threat to American democracy. And, while you've disgracefully labeled the highest-ranking US military officer a "damn hack," I'm sure as hell glad he was in the position he held at a time when our country was facing its gravest internal threat since the Civil War.
Why? Take off your "Trump Sucks" lens so you can look at what Milley did or did not do. Generals at his level are political animals. The upper echelons of the military are highly political (not in a left/right sense, although that comes into play, but in an office politics type of sense).

So you are glad that Milley was there because he (and other allies) were saying they felt Trump was a threat. And what were they poised to do? Resign. And Mr. Tough Guy said nothing was happening on their watch because they had the guns.

So on January 6 when there was a huge protest planned and the wannabe dictator's People's Army literally stormed the Capitol, where was the guy worried about a coup and the great defender of the Republic? I mean, he has a book being released 6 months after the fact with quotes from himself, friends, political allies, etc. saying that we were facing a grave threat and we were lucky to have this prescient guy in place to make sure Herr Trump did not overthrow the government and yet when that was occurring (according to the Democrats and media, that is not my view) Mr. "We have the guns" was nowhere to be found.

I am just saying you are being manipulated by a narrative you want to believe that is intended to help the political ambitions of the guy the book is about. The counter narrative is just as easily "High Ranking General does nothing while the Republic is threatened by a mob". He is trying to get out in front of that because it is hard to be Sec Def with that on your record.

Are you f*cking kidding me? After operational failures that severely damaged two ships, and a fire than totaled an amphibious assault carrier, a study found that the U S. Navy essentially can’t fight its way out of a wet paper bag.* And we have the Chairman of the Joint Chiefs, the individual in our government most responsible for military readiness, worried about aTrump coup, or swears before congress that he really wants to learn about the “WHITE RAGE!“ that caused January 6? Milley needs to focus on his damn job. If he wants to play like he’s Rachel Maddow, he should resign and audition for a TV show.

*Aloha, we need you back.

I mean, he has a book being released 6 months after the fact with quotes from himself, friends, political allies, etc
Ok, one more time. It's not his book. He's quoted in a book written by two Pulitzer Prize-winning reporters.

And there will be many more books about this, and Trump is going to look bad in every one of them.

Had Trump succeeded in coercing just one key state election official to say, "hold on, there was fraud," and/or if just one state had refused to certify the election results, there likely would have been a domino effect. We came perilously close to a complete shit show.

Have at it. I've got to get to work.

They're trying to distract from the fraud. It won't work.

Where's the evidence?

Might want to get it out of your tin foil hat and prove it.

It's been over 6 months and yet there is still no evidence. Given that there is a good percentage of the country wanting this lie of election fraud to be true, we would have seen any evidence that existed by now.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT