ADVERTISEMENT

CFP rankings a joke.

Honestly, eff this CFP committee. This is complete bullshit, for the reasons stated by Paz.

And not only is Iowa State a two loss team, one of their losses was to Louisiana effing Lafayette. These rankings are a complete farce. AP poll, on the other hand, got it right.

This hurts our chances of making a NY6 bowl especially if these last few games get canceled.

The Allstate Playoff Predictor (managed by the ESPN Index) has us as the "first out" as of today/tonight at 37% chance of getting in.

Looking at the numbers, it looks like it assumes:
  1. We play NW in the B10 Championship (and win).
  2. Alabama hands Florida a second loss.
  3. OSU either loses or wins against Iowa (maybe both of us get in).
  4. Notre Dame beats Clemson
We're apparently in the best position based on computer probability of the teams not in the top 4....to make the top 4.

The Allstate Playoff Predictor (managed by the ESPN Index) has us as the "first out" as of today/tonight at 37% chance of getting in.

Looking at the numbers, it looks like it assumes:
  1. We play NW in the B10 Championship (and win).
  2. Alabama hands Florida a second loss.
  3. OSU either loses or wins against Iowa (maybe both of us get in).
  4. Notre Dame beats Clemson
We're apparently in the best position based on computer probability of the teams not in the top 4....to make the top 4.
I keep seeing that allstate playoff predictor getting plugged, but it came out before we were snubbed in the CFP playoff rankings. But even before the rankings were released, having us at first-out at 37% was always going to be off with reality.

Reactions: vesuvius13
I keep seeing that allstate playoff predictor getting plugged, but it came out before we were snubbed in the CFP playoff rankings. But even before the rankings were released, having us at first-out at 37% was always going to be off with reality.

I disagree. That index was AFTER the Michigan/OSU cancellation.

If we:

Beat NW and become B10 Champs
OSU beats Iowa to get stronger rankings
Florida loses to Bama
ND saddles Clemson with another loss

We could jump everyone.

They may put a one loss (@ strong OSU) Big 10 Champ in over any two loss non-champs, or even one loss non-champs (A&M).

Reactions: 82hoosier
I disagree. That index was AFTER the Michigan/OSU cancellation.

If we:

Beat NW and become B10 Champs
OSU beats Iowa to get stronger rankings
Florida loses to Bama
ND saddles Clemson with another loss

We could jump everyone.

They may put a one loss (@ strong OSU) Big 10 Champ in over any two loss non-champs, or even one loss non-champs (A&M).
What about the Oklahoma/Iowas St game? What about Cincinnati? What about A&M? What about Clemson still probably being valued higher than IU by the CFP even with another loss to ND.

I respect the dream, but it's a fantasy. You need at least 5 games to go a certain way and you'd still need the CFP to take an implicit bias training course if there's to be any hope of them appropriately valuing IU this year.

What about the Oklahoma/Iowas St game? What about Cincinnati? What about A&M? What about Clemson still probably being valued higher than IU by the CFP even with another loss to ND.

I respect the dream, but it's a fantasy. You need at least 5 games to go a certain way and you'd still need the CFP to take an implicit bias training course if there's to be any hope of them appropriately valuing IU this year.

We'll see.

What we lack is a current "good win", and the bonus points of a B10 Champ.

We'll jump all of them w the scenarios I've described.

The CFB playoff poll isn't slow like the AP or Coaches...it self corrects quickly. We have a decent chance.

This is about respect and fairness regardless if we make top 4. There is some major bias and strange stuff going on here. Iowa State lost big time to Louisiana. 2 losses. Zero respect for IU winning in Madison.
We need a new Chairman. Iowa comes out looking great

• Sad
Honestly, eff this CFP committee. This is complete bullshit, for the reasons stated by Paz.

And not only is Iowa State a two loss team, one of their losses was to Louisiana effing Lafayette. These rankings are a complete farce. AP poll, on the other hand, got it right.

Wait, the two losses for Iowa State are to #19 Louisiana and #23 Oklahoma State. Now, is Okie a Top 25 team over Wisconsin?

Is Missouri worthy of Top 25 either?

Wait, the two losses for Iowa State are to #19 Louisiana and #23 Oklahoma State. Now, is Okie a Top 25 team over Wisconsin?

Is Missouri worthy of Top 25 either?
Louisiana may be ranked but they're a Sun Belt team, and they crushed Iowa State in Ames. That's a bad loss for Iowa State. No way that two loss team should be ahead of us.

What a year. USC looks to be back so they are likely getting a raw deal also. IMO, the Big 10 and Pac 12 should pull out of the CFP this year and just stage an 8 team 3 week tournament in January with their own title game in that new Sofi stadium in LA or the new stadium in Vegas. Maybe play games on Thursday/Friday nights so the NFL doesn't interfere. It could be the pfizer vaccine bowl. What would the trophy look like?

Louisiana may be ranked but they're a Sun Belt team, and they crushed Iowa State in Ames. That's a bad loss for Iowa State. No way that two loss team should be ahead of us.
I see teams like Louisiana, Tulsa, SMU, Cincinnati, Coastal Carolina with lofty rankings and think immediately about the "fastest man in the nursing home".

This raises some very valid points
I can't resist looking at rankings somewhat, but I lost confidence in all of them a long time ago.

What happened was that, in hoops, a No. 1 ranked team played the No. 2 ranked team and won. Guess what happened to the No. 2 team the next week? Because it lost to the No. 1, the No. 2 team dropped three places even though losing to No. 1 was exactly what the poll had predicted in the first place. Makes no sense.

Then I started paying attention to news stories about how the media and coaches polls were administered. There are now about 350 Div. I schools with basketball programs. It finally dawned on me that no media representative and no coach are watching all the Div. I baketball games, so there really isn't any rational basis for the poll voters to decide whom they should vote for. Those voters are probably more knowledgeable than I am but big deal -- they're really guessing too.

Yep. Maybe Gary Barta (Iowa AD) has a bit to do with it? He is the chairman of the CFP committee.

And once the B1G makes its adjustments to the rules IU will line up against Iowa and Barta may finally get to see this IU football team.

Shoulder meet chip.

Reactions: 76-1 and vesuvius13
To me there is too much love for the SEC in the Rankings. Alabama at #1 OK. Florida at 6, Fine. Texas A&M at 5 Questionable, I have only seen part of one of their Games this year. From what I saw and What I read from other games, they are not strong offensively. Georgia with 2 losses in the Top 10 Ridiculous.

I will really be interested to see what they do with Clemson if they lose a Second time to Notre Dame. How many spots down do they move, and who moves up.

Bottom line, we can only take care of the Business in front of us, and not waste energy on things we can't control.

Rabjohns hit it on the head. SC up 5 spots after blowing out a terrible Wazzu team. Iowa (with their AD on the committee) up 2 spots after beating a not good Illini team. Meanwhile, IU has a much more meaningful win than either and stays the same.

Barta and Alvarez are in cahoots to keep IU where they are at so they can more easily justify what they will push for next, which is changing the rule to get OSU into the BTCG.

A few weeks ago I thought I read the rule change would have to be unanimous amongst ADs. While I'm sure Dolson likes more money for his budget, I doubt he wants to vote against his own school's chance to get in the game either. And while the other ADs like more money too, I am sure they wrestle with the idea of changing things to benefit the Elephant in the Room (and school with the most unlimited resources).

Reactions: 76-1 and vesuvius13
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT