ADVERTISEMENT

CBS and NBC are in,ESPN is out

Nothing like a CBS gameday
Get up.
Watch a few hours of cartoons they show in the morning.
Then it’s on to local news.
After the news, first game plays.
Intermission - Gunsmoke or CSI.
2nd game
Local News
Episode of “Young Sheldon.”
NCIS Vegas
News
The Late Show
Extra
For CBS, it’s always just been about the game, not the build up. For ESPN, it’s been about both of those things, which is why they’re so highly thought of by college football fans. It’s really the full package. Things change so life will go on, but hopefully the Fox offerings improve significantly to an ESPN level (or something close).

Your Phoenix DMA nums surprised me. Had to look that up. 1.9MM TVHH. Yes please.

Actually, there's more than 1.9MM... you're looking at 2020 numbers

The 2021 Nielsen DMA Rankings show Phoenix with... 2.2MM TV HHs

... and, I don't think I mentioned the large number of B1G alums that live in AZ and Phoenix DMA... and that number is growing,

... and, I don't think I mentioned the large number of B1G alums that live in AZ and Phoenix DMA... and that number is growing,
Having spent a fair amount of time in the Valley, I can tell you that U of A alums and fans are plentiful. People sometimes think it’s just an ASU town, but it’s far from that. As you mentioned, there are plenty of midwesterners there, and the west coast / PAC also supplies many residents.

they're not taking ASU without AAU membership. And I'm not sure Arizona warrants taking on their own.

Reactions: vesuvius13
For CBS, it’s always just been about the game, not the build up. For ESPN, it’s been about both of those things, which is why they’re so highly thought of by college football fans. It’s really the full package. Things change so life will go on, but hopefully the Fox offerings improve significantly to an ESPN level (or something close).
Damn I hope not.

Indeed they must be prominent in the decisions to add.

I certainly may have been. Makes it even more appealing from a viewership standpoint.

Having spent a fair amount of time in the Valley, I can tell you that U of A alums and fans are plentiful. People sometimes think it’s just an ASU town, but it’s far from that. As you mentioned, there are plenty of midwesterners there, and the west coast / PAC also supplies many residents.

Having lived there.......is UA viewed as the flagship institution, and ASU as the bigger 'other', ala Florida and UCF, or are both viewed similarly in terms of academics?

Having lived there.......is UA viewed as the flagship institution, and ASU as the bigger 'other', ala Florida and UCF, or are both viewed similarly in terms of academics?
I think UA is viewed more positively from an academic standpoint, certainly. ASU is an overflow school for Southern California kids who can’t get into USC or their UC school of choice, as well as frozen Midwesterner’s looking for a respite from dreary winters. The ASU barriers to admission are low. I don’t think either are bad schools, but the appeal for each is different U of A is in smaller town Tucson, while ASU is off the end of the runway at Sky Harbor.

I'm not following why ND would have to pay $150-$175 million to get out of the ACC? They're not really in the ACC as it pertains to media rights for football, which is what the ACC grant of rights is all about.

The $150-175M estimate is from a well-informed ND fan, who is also an atty, from another forum.

There are 3 issues with ND getting out of the ACC: 1. An exit fee. I've seen this listed as $100m; 2. A GoRs concerning the minor sports only that goes until '36; and 3. a contractual provision wherein ND agreed that if it joined conference for football prior to '36, it must be the ACC.

The $150-175M estimate is his opinion of what ND would have to pay the ACC to leave w/o sustained litigation.

The $150-175M estimate is from a well-informed ND fan, who is also an atty, from another forum.

There are 3 issues with ND getting out of the ACC: 1. An exit fee. I've seen this listed as $100m; 2. A GoRs concerning the minor sports only that goes until '36; and 3. a contractual provision wherein ND agreed that if it joined conference for football prior to '36, it must be the ACC.

The $150-175M estimate is his opinion of what ND would have to pay the ACC to leave w/o sustained litigation.
Yes, thanks....I read some stuff others linked above and then one of them linked to a Twitter thread that said essentially what you've said here.

Really?... Uhm... according info from both of their websites...

Univ. of AZ - 270,000 alums world-wide / 60,000 alums live or work in Maricopa County.

AZ State Univ. - 544,00 alums world-wide / 270,000 Alums live or work in Maricopa County.

Those numbers aren't very close to me.

I've been to Phoenix/Scottsdale area quite a bit over the past 25 some years and I've always left with the impression that AZ State was clearly the "favored" school among the residents. I have a couple of former business associates who went to AZ St. and I also have more than a handful of friends who sent their kids there and I rarely hear any mention of U of AZ or have met any alums.... but then again I don't know anyone that went to Yale or sent a kid there either.

As you've said and I have read, the U of AZ is considered the better school between the two... and, the U of AZ is an AAU school.

Still, I'd take either one just to expand the B1G's footprint in to one of the country's fastest growing major markets. While I believe the B1G won't give AZ St. a look because it's not an AAU school and the academics aren't great, my preference is still AZ St.... just because it's so damn big! :) and lot's of eyeballs will be following the league. :)

Univ. of AZ - 270,000 alums world-wide / 60,000 alums live or work in Maricopa County.

AZ State Univ. - 544,00 alums world-wide / 270,000 Alums live or work in Maricopa County.

I've been to Phoenix/Scottsdale area quite a bit over the past 25 some years and I've always left with the impression that AZ State was clearly the "favored" school among the residents. I have a couple of former business associates who went to AZ St. and I also have more than a handful of friends who sent their kids there and I rarely hear any mention of U of AZ or have met any alums.... but then again I don't know anyone that went to Yale or sent a kid there either.

As you've said and I have read, the U of AZ is considered the better school between the two... and, the U of AZ is an AAU school.

Still, I'd take either one just to expand the B1G's footprint in to one of the country's fastest growing major markets. While I believe the B1G won't give AZ St. a look because it's not an AAU school and the academics aren't great, my preference is still AZ St.... just because it's so damn big! :) and lot's of eyeballs will be following the league. :)
As I said, the number of U of A grads is “plentiful”, and the numbers support that. Thanks for confirming.

Definitely an ASU town. Easy to see if you have ever been there.

Gotta seriously consider 1 of them. Too many B1G folk$ living in the $tate during FB and BB $ea$on to ignore.

To me, the relatively short distance to LA (380M) is attractive, in light of the overall distances involved. As an example, UW is something like 1100 miles from LA and 800 miles from SF.

There are good arguments for 0, 2 or 4 teams. Even 6. I think the argument for 0 is weakest. I don't think you can leave UCLA & USC on an island long-term and be ok with the schools and the fans. PSU is an example of that.

There are good arguments to be made for UW, Oregon, AZ, ASU, Cal & Stanford. Also, Colorado, Utah & Kansas. The only must have to me is UW. Stanford's probably #2, with or without ND.

To me, the relatively short distance to LA (380M) is attractive, in light of the overall distances involved. As an example, UW is something like 1100 miles from LA and 800 miles from SF.

There are good arguments for 0, 2 or 4 teams. Even 6. I think the argument for 0 is weakest. I don't think you can leave UCLA & USC on an island long-term and be ok with the schools and the fans. PSU is an example of that.

There are good arguments to be made for UW, Oregon, AZ, ASU, Cal & Stanford. Also, Colorado, Utah & Kansas. The only must have to me is UW. Stanford's probably #2, with or without ND.

I don't think we'll know for certain what ND's going to do for at least 1 year. Their contract with NBD expires in 2025, one year after the BT's contracts. So it may be some time before ND, NBC and/or ESPN get serious about negotiations. Also, ND may be interested in the realignment fallout over the next year before they make a 'final' decision (pending '36).

Given that, it seems likely to me that the BT may add whoever they see as the 2 most attractive schools within a few months. To me, that would be Washington & Stanford. That way they could schedule for '25. And wait on ND (likely not happening) and anyone else for '26(??).

That more realignment is coming sooner than we might think. It was an interview. He was pretty open about it too. Like the SEC just lost the pie eating contest and sucked at pin the tail on the donkey. Sticking with ESPN probably hurt them.
Edit: the interview disappeared. Can’t find it now. 🤣
Guess they will just have to be satisfied winning titles

Guess they will just have to be satisfied winning titles
It’s not about titles doofus. The BCS contract is up next year. ESPN will lose that too. So the extra coverage and bias to the SEC is over. You don’t think losing 8% a year won’t hurt ESPN? You think losing the largest/richest alumni base doesn’t make a difference? So let Alabama win titles while the rest of the SEC is looking up.

It’s not about titles doofus. The BCS contract is up next year. ESPN will lose that too. So the extra coverage and bias to the SEC is over. You don’t think losing 8% a year won’t hurt ESPN? You think losing the largest/richest alumni base doesn’t make a difference? So let Alabama win titles while the rest of the SEC is looking up.
The new BCS contract will likely be split . . . That’s the worst case scenario for ESPN. They aren’t losing all of it.

The B10 and ESPN are severing ties after the 2023 season per ESPN and the conference.
CBS,NBC and FOX will carry the games starting in 2024.
I’m sure someone much smarter than me will share the link soon.
I’m not the most savvy computer guy,sorry.

I saw this on a 'realignment forum' and thought it was an interesting exercise: Rate the non-P2 schools by realignment attractiveness. Obviously it's a personal take as the weight put on different factors (ie....academics, market, football, geography, overall program et al) varies from person to person, and many schools have more value to the Big 10, or to the SEC. Anyway, here's my take:

1. ND
2. UNC
3. FSU
4. Washington
5. Virginia
6. Clemson
7. Stanford.......Not accepting 5th year players is a problem
8. Miami
9. ASU
10. Arizona
11. Virginia Tech......Crazy fans; good engineering school, but in the boonies relatively speaking
12. Oregon......Football, Knight $, and UW rivalry>small enrollment, small market, mediocre academics
13. Cal
14. NC State
15. BYU....Mormon nation
16. Colorado
17. Kansas....Basketball brand is big
18. Utah
19. Duke......Basketball brand is big, but no Coach K, and football is hopeless
20. OK State.......Crazy fans, no market
21. Louisville.....Big AD budget
22. UCF......huge, growing school
23. Georgia Tech.....Atlanta, engineering dept
24. West Virginia......Crazy (literally) fans
25. Pitt
26. Boston College......Boston
27. Cincy
28. Iowa St.
29. Houston
30. Syracuse.....private school, isolated
31. Texas Tech
32. TCU
33. Baylor
34. Kansas St.
35. Oregon St.
36. Washington St.
37. Wake F.

Last edited:
Only way it splits is if they expand it. ESPN will get outbid again if they don’t. Sankey trying to strong arm didn’t help.
ESPN isn’t leaving the BCS championship when their two primary partners are so deeply involved. No chance they go, especially after they made the decision to move away from the Big 10.

Reactions: Hoosier Clarion
ESPN isn’t leaving the BCS championship when their two primary partners are so deeply involved. No chance they go, especially after they made the decision to move away from the Big 10.

Agreed......I think it's most important to ESPN & CBS......FOX & NBC not as much....they have their niche.

Agreed......I think it's most important to ESPN & CBS......FOX & NBC not as much....they have their niche.
ESPN still dominates both cable and college sports. Severing a relationship with them is risky for the BiG, but they aren’t leaving the CFP. No chance.

Speculation is that the Big 10 will add more PAC teams in the next year or so.

As things stand now, they are set for Noon on Fox, 3:30 on CBS, 7:30 on NBC (after ND) with top 3 games/week.

NBC is going to pay ND, and ND will stay independent.

Big 10 still has a 10:00 window for games involving USC, UCLA, Washington, Oregon & Stanford. That would be prime time on the West Coast. I think Cal gets left out and #4 comes from Colorado/Kansas/Arizona. These teams will come in at less than 100% shares....maybe 2/3 for first 10 years or so.

A little bit of an update.......

UC regents met, and claim the authority to block UCLA's move to the BT. They are not saying they will, but they are claiming the authority to do so, per an 'interim report' they published and the words of their atty.

If the BT does expand, there may be a window for ESPN to get back involved with the BT in a limited fashion---the Friday night broadcasts and Saturday's 10:00 pm west coast time slot. This is from media speculation and reading between the lines of what Warren said about ESPN.

A little bit of an update.......

UC regents met, and claim the authority to block UCLA's move to the BT. They are not saying they will, but they are claiming the authority to do so, per an 'interim report' they published and the words of their atty.

If the BT does expand, there may be a window for ESPN to get back involved with the BT in a limited fashion---the Friday night broadcasts and Saturday's 10:00 pm west coast time slot. This is from media speculation and reading between the lines of what Warren said about ESPN.

Screw Newsom and UCLA... I hope they Do pull out of the agreement... USC gives us the nearly the entirety of California in football viewers, along with a recruiting footprint there..., and Football is where the real money is... There are multiple options as a replacement for UCLA as simply a basketball viewing entity, Kansas being number one on my list... Washington or Colorado would be my next two choices both of which are a heck of a lot more interesting to visit than the crime ridden environs of LA...

Last edited:

Screw Newsom and UCLA... I hope they Do pull out of the agreement... USC gives us the nearly the entirety of California in football viewers, along with a recruiting footprint there..., and Football is where the real money is... There are multiple options as a replacement for UCLA as simply a basketball viewing entity, Kansas being number one on my list... Washington or Colorado would be my next two choices both of which are a heck of a lot more interesting to visit than the crime ridden environs of LA...
If football is where the real money, there’s probably not a school lower on the list of choices than KU. And UCLA isn’t in the crime ridden environs of LA, but USC is pretty close to them. The UC system Board of Regents will flex their muscles for the benefit of their member schools. It only makes sense, especially after UCLA was dumb enough to not inform them of what they were doing.

Reactions: midwolfe

*eye roll*

Headline: Boomer has never been to LA but believes everything he hears from conservative media about it.

Reactions: dmaw and Jackskip23

While the BOR certainly does have the ability to block the move (at least prior to very expensive litigation), I don't think they will. They are just butthurt about not being kept in the loop.

Like you, I could care less about UCLA, they bring little in FB and while like IU they have history in BB, they don't have the clout, following, ratings or anything else that IU has retained.

While the BOR certainly does have the ability to block the move (at least prior to very expensive litigation), I don't think they will. They are just butthurt about not being kept in the loop.

Like you, I could care less about UCLA, they bring little in FB and while like IU they have history in BB, they don't have the clout, following, ratings or anything else that IU has retained.
Yes ... If we Must have another west coast team I'd much prefer Washington... Quite a bit more of interest (to me at least) within a 5 hour radius..., with a quarter of the traffic of LA...

As I mentioned above, if we're just looking for a basketball replacement (for UCLA) then Kansas seems the obvious choice.

If we're just looking for another TV market that's also a Really great place to visit then Colorado is the choice...

Last edited:

If they can keep UCLA from moving to the B1G it just shows how totalitarian they are including Gov't Newsome. I hope UCLA tells them to go pound sand because they are changing conferences.

If they can keep UCLA from moving to the B1G it just shows how totalitarian they are including Gov't Newsome. I hope UCLA tells them to go pound sand because they are changing conferences.
I agree with the sentiment but have zero interest in UCLA as they just don’t bring much to the table.

Reactions: vesuvius13 and 76-1
I agree with the sentiment but have zero interest in UCLA as they just don’t bring much to the table.
Don’t bring much to the table? That’s a spectacularly narrow view.

Let’s start with the fact that it’s a school of 45,000 students and 60% of their alumni live in Southern California. Boom. There’s your TV market all by itself.

They have a winning football record against every Pac12 team except USC. They still average over 1.5 million viewers per game

Their basketball team has had postseason success in the past two decades (we know their long term history) on par with any of the best Big Ten programs. Eight elite 8s or better. Four Final Fours.

Their smaller sports aren’t really relevant to the conversation but are obviously high quality.

Nike obviously values them, as they are a Jordan brand school.

Yes ... If we Must have another west coast team I'd much prefer Washington... Quite a bit more of interest (to me at least) within a 5 hour radius..., with half the traffic of LA...

As I mentioned above, if we're just looking for a basketball replacement (for UCLA) then Kansas seems the obvious choice.

If we're just looking for another TV market that's also a Really great place to visit then Colorado is the choice...
Colorado would be a good one. I also like Stanford and the SF market.

I saw this on a 'realignment forum' and thought it was an interesting exercise: Rate the non-P2 schools by realignment attractiveness. Obviously it's a personal take as the weight put on different factors (ie....academics, market, football, geography, overall program et al) varies from person to person, and many schools have more value to the Big 10, or to the SEC. Anyway, here's my take:

1. ND
2. UNC
3. FSU
4. Washington
5. Virginia
6. Clemson
7. Stanford.......Not accepting 5th year players is a problem
8. Miami
9. ASU
10. Arizona
11. Virginia Tech......Crazy fans; good engineering school, but in the boonies relatively speaking
12. Oregon......Football, Knight $, and UW rivalry>small enrollment, small market, mediocre academics
13. Cal
14. NC State
15. BYU....Mormon nation
16. Colorado
17. Kansas....Basketball brand is big
18. Utah
19. Duke......Basketball brand is big, but no Coach K, and football is hopeless
20. OK State.......Crazy fans, no market
21. Louisville.....Big AD budget
22. UCF......huge, growing school
23. Georgia Tech.....Atlanta, engineering dept
24. West Virginia......Crazy (literally) fans
25. Pitt
26. Boston College......Boston
27. Cincy
28. Iowa St.
29. Houston
30. Syracuse.....private school, isolated
31. Texas Tech
32. TCU
33. Baylor
34. Kansas St.
35. Oregon St.
36. Washington St.
37. Wake F.
This. The B1G values many factors not just a few. This is smart business. The SEC weights brands more than markets, academics, research etc. the B1G understands it’s institutions. Why not get the approval of the academic side too. Big alumni base.

This. The B1G values many factors not just a few. This is smart business. The SEC weights brands more than markets, academics, research etc. the B1G understands it’s institutions. Why not get the approval of the academic side too. Big alumni base.
Looks like they are focused purely on TV market share this time around... It's all about the 💰💰💰

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT