ADVERTISEMENT

CBS and NBC are in,ESPN is out

That’s not the issue. It’s how many homes it’s in not viewers per se. ESPN main channel has 75 million households FS1 has 80million. The info is there. Read it. The B1G is also winning the viewership battle. Markets matter and ESPN just gave up a big chunk.
I don't know where you're getting your info, but Sports Business Journal is my source and as of Jan 2022, ESPN and ESPN2 EACH had more than a million more households than FS1 and FS2 was way down at 60 million. Only FS2 had GAINED any households since 2020, every other network (except NFL Net) LOST households.

Again, ESPN and ESPN2: 79 million homes each.

FS1 78 million. FS2 60 million.

Reactions: vesuvius13
I don’t. The B1G and ESPN have been moving away from each other for a decade. The campy analysis from the game day crew has been turning people off especially with SEC slant. ESPN has dictated what the experts should talk about than real analysis. This is why FS1 has been gaining on them. The only thing that has kept ESPN going is they are on in sports bars. I saw an interview stating this and the numbers back it up. I can’t tell you the last time I watched espn at my house or on my phone. Only time I have is at the bar. That’s how they get those viewership numbers. You wait and see what happens now with the B1G moving away from ESPN. Bars will be forced to change the channel.
I understand, but IMO FS1's growth is based upon more destination games being switched there.

I don’t. The B1G and ESPN have been moving away from each other for a decade. The campy analysis from the game day crew has been turning people off especially with SEC slant. ESPN has dictated what the experts should talk about than real analysis. This is why FS1 has been gaining on them. The only thing that has kept ESPN going is they are on in sports bars. I saw an interview stating this and the numbers back it up. I can’t tell you the last time I watched espn at my house or on my phone. Only time I have is at the bar. That’s how they get those viewership numbers. You wait and see what happens now with the B1G moving away from ESPN. Bars will be forced to change the channel.
If you’re not watching then you’re missing a huge chunk of college football and basketball. As I already mentioned, ESPN’s audience is over five times that of FS1. It’s not a close race. And ESPN, especially with regard to college football, sets the gold standard for coverage, play by play voices, and analysts. Their presentation is far superior to what Fox has now.

Only thing saving espn is the sports bars.
ESPN’s total day viewership in the first quarter of 2022 was up 32% vs. last year to an average of 812,000 viewers (P2+), the network’s best for the first three months of the year since 2017. The increase was even more pronounced in prime time – up 40% to 2.068M viewers.

Your narrative and the facts are strangers passing in the night.

Reactions: Jackskip23
Only thing saving espn is the sports bars.
From ESPN's PR dept (but stats are stats) at the conclusion of last year's college football season:

ABC, ESPN, ESPN2 Record Multi-Year Highs
ESPN networks were up from both 2019 and 2020, with ABC, ESPN and ESPN2 averaging 1,976,000 viewers, up 19 percent from 2020 and two percent from 2019. ABC registered its most-watched season since 2017, averaging 4,042,000 viewers this season, up 25 percent from 2020 and two percent from 2019. ABC aired the most-viewed game in more Saturday windows (16 of 42) than any other network. Combined, ESPN and ABC had the top game in nearly half of all Saturday game windows (20 of 42) and ESPN networks were responsible for 53 percent of live game minutes viewed across nationally-rated networks, on par with 2019.

ESPN, ESPN2 Carry Cable Crowns
For the first time since 2015, ESPN networks are the top two most-watched networks for college football on cable. ESPN averaged 1,733,000 viewers in 2021, up 16 percent from 2020 and on par with 2019. ESPN2 experienced its most-watched season since 2018, up 65 percent from 2020 and a 27 percent increase from 2019. On average, games on ESPN2 recorded 643,000 viewers this season.

ESPN Networks Own Primetime
ABC Saturday Night Football Presented by Capital One averaged more than five million viewers in 2021, up 36 percent from 2020 and on par with 2018 and 2019. College football lifted ESPN networks to become the most-viewed network in primetime 11 times this season. ABC and ESPN were the top two networks in primetime on six different Saturdays. During the average regular season Saturday, 7.8 million viewers and 2.5 million P18-49 viewers were watching ABC or ESPN college football in the average minute in primetime.

ABC Afternoon Action Rises
ABC’s late afternoon window averaged 3,554,000 viewers, up seven percent from 2019 to rank as ABC’s most-watched late afternoon window since 2016. The noon window also witnessed multi-year growth, registering 3,109,000 viewers in 2021, up six percent from 2019 and four percent from 2018.

ABC Airs More Most-Watched Games
ABC broadcast six of the top 15 and nine of the top 25 college football games this season, the most of any network. In total, ESPN networks aired half of the top 50 most-watched games this season, the most of any network family.

College GameDay Reigns Supreme
College GameDay Built by The Home Depot averaged 1,880,000 viewers, up 39 percent from 2020. The preeminent pre-game show registered 146,000 more viewers than the average college football game on ESPN. If College GameDay was a game window, it would be the third-most-watched game window on cable.

From ESPN's PR dept (but stats are stats) at the conclusion of last year's college football season:

ESPN networks were up from both 2019 and 2020, with ABC, ESPN and ESPN2 averaging 1,976,000 viewers, up 19 percent from 2020 and two percent from 2019. ABC registered its most-watched season since 2017, averaging 4,042,000 viewers this season, up 25 percent from 2020 and two percent from 2019. ABC aired the most-viewed game in more Saturday windows (16 of 42) than any other network. Combined, ESPN and ABC had the top game in nearly half of all Saturday game windows (20 of 42) and ESPN networks were responsible for 53 percent of live game minutes viewed across nationally-rated networks, on par with 2019.

For the first time since 2015, ESPN networks are the top two most-watched networks for college football on cable. ESPN averaged 1,733,000 viewers in 2021, up 16 percent from 2020 and on par with 2019. ESPN2 experienced its most-watched season since 2018, up 65 percent from 2020 and a 27 percent increase from 2019. On average, games on ESPN2 recorded 643,000 viewers this season.

ABC Saturday Night Football Presented by Capital One averaged more than five million viewers in 2021, up 36 percent from 2020 and on par with 2018 and 2019. College football lifted ESPN networks to become the most-viewed network in primetime 11 times this season. ABC and ESPN were the top two networks in primetime on six different Saturdays. During the average regular season Saturday, 7.8 million viewers and 2.5 million P18-49 viewers were watching ABC or ESPN college football in the average minute in primetime.

ABC’s late afternoon window averaged 3,554,000 viewers, up seven percent from 2019 to rank as ABC’s most-watched late afternoon window since 2016. The noon window also witnessed multi-year growth, registering 3,109,000 viewers in 2021, up six percent from 2019 and four percent from 2018.

ABC broadcast six of the top 15 and nine of the top 25 college football games this season, the most of any network. In total, ESPN networks aired half of the top 50 most-watched games this season, the most of any network family.

College GameDay Built by The Home Depot averaged 1,880,000 viewers, up 39 percent from 2020. The preeminent pre-game show registered 146,000 more viewers than the average college football game on ESPN. If College GameDay was a game window, it would be the third-most-watched game window on cable.
You left out Covid. Of course the numbers rebounded but that’s it. Wait and see what happens in 2024.

Uhm.... and some still want to believe ESPN is the big dog in sports programing....

The new B1G tv package of FOX, CBS & NBC blows away anything ESPN has to offer.

Total Minutes of Live Sports Event Viewing in 2021:

FOX – 250.3 billion minutes
CBS – 224.4
NBC – 220.0
ESPN – 215.6
ABC – 86.1
NBCSN – 46.6
TNT – 46.4
ESPN2 – 41.8
FS1 – 37.3
GOLF – 33.0

and now..... look at the trends.... Where's ESPN going? Down is the answer.

#1 Network in Total Live Sports Event Viewing By Year

2021 – FOX
2020 – FOX
2019 – FOX
2018 – NBC
2017 – FOX
2016 – NBC
2015 – ESPN
2014 – ESPN
2013 – CBS
2012 – NBC
2011 – ESPN
2010 – ESPN
2009 – ESPN
2008 – NBC
2007 – CBS
2006 – CBS
2005 – CBS
2004 – FOX
2003 – FOX

Last edited:
Uhm.... and some still want to believe ESPN is the big dog in sports programing....

CBS – 224.4
NBC – 220.0
ESPN – 215.6
ABC – 86.1
NBCSN – 46.6
TNT – 46.4
ESPN2 – 41.8
FS1 – 37.3
GOLF – 33.0

2021 – FOX
2020 – FOX
2019 – FOX
2018 – NBC
2017 – FOX
2016 – NBC
2015 – ESPN
2014 – ESPN
2013 – CBS
2012 – NBC
2011 – ESPN
2010 – ESPN
2009 – ESPN
2008 – NBC
2007 – CBS
2006 – CBS
2005 – CBS
2004 – FOX
2003 – FOX
Ahh! So in order to fit your narrative, you're comparing Big Fox to cable ESPN?

How about you do two things....add ESPN and ABC together and then add Fox Sports and FS1 together. Now add ESPN2 and ESPNU and include FS2.

Now, since this is 'Sports Minutes Viewing', remove the Mother of All Sports Viewership Goliaths, the NFL from all of the numbers for each network.

I'll hang up and listen.

CBS – 224.4
NBC – 220.0
ESPN – 215.6
ABC – 86.1
NBCSN – 46.6
TNT – 46.4
ESPN2 – 41.8
FS1 – 37.3
GOLF – 33.0

2021 – FOX
2020 – FOX
2019 – FOX
2018 – NBC
2017 – FOX
2016 – NBC
2015 – ESPN
2014 – ESPN
2013 – CBS
2012 – NBC
2011 – ESPN
2010 – ESPN
2009 – ESPN
2008 – NBC
2007 – CBS
2006 – CBS
2005 – CBS
2004 – FOX
2003 – FOX
Was ESPN’s bid predicated on exclusivity of broadcasts? If so, this comparison makes it clear who the dominant players are (the top three OTA’s and the 800 pound cable gorilla). Seems very likely any ESPN success here would’ve also included prominent involvement by the same OTA’s that the Fox deal has. By the way, is there any doubt that the top four dominance is primarily a function of each entity’s NFL platforms?

Was ESPN’s bid predicated on exclusivity of broadcasts? If so, this comparison makes it clear who the dominant players are (the top three OTA’s and the 800 pound cable gorilla). Seems very likely any ESPN success here would’ve also included prominent involvement by the same OTA’s that the Fox deal has. By the way, is there any doubt that the top four dominance is primarily a function of each entity’s NFL platforms?
Fox already secured the B1G A package. As it pertains to football, ESPN was offered 13 Tier B games for $380million. Same tier they had under the current contract, if I'm not mistaken.

I know Fox has first choice (now and in the next contract), which is why they've used B1G games to help leverage that Big Noon Kickoff time slot and increase their visibility with college football overall. Smart move on their part to basically abandon any attempt to compete on Saturday night primetime and instead focus their biggest games in that noon ET window.

Fox already secured the B1G A package. As it pertains to football, ESPN was offered 13 Tier B games for $380million. Same tier they had under the current contract, if I'm not mistaken.

I know Fox has first choice (now and in the next contract), which is why they've used B1G games to help leverage that Big Noon Kickoff time slot and increase their visibility with college football overall. Smart move on their part to basically abandon any attempt to compete on Saturday night primetime and instead focus their biggest games in that noon ET window.
It’s also a strategy that’s obviously dictated by their equity position in the BTN. The have to win.

If you’re not watching then you’re missing a huge chunk of college football and basketball. As I already mentioned, ESPN’s audience is over five times that of FS1. It’s not a close race. And ESPN, especially with regard to college football, sets the gold standard for coverage, play by play voices, and analysts. Their presentation is far superior to what Fox has now.
Strictly matter of opinion.

CBS – 224.4
NBC – 220.0
ESPN – 215.6
ABC – 86.1
NBCSN – 46.6
TNT – 46.4
ESPN2 – 41.8
FS1 – 37.3
GOLF – 33.0

2021 – FOX
2020 – FOX
2019 – FOX
2018 – NBC
2017 – FOX
2016 – NBC
2015 – ESPN
2014 – ESPN
2013 – CBS
2012 – NBC
2011 – ESPN
2010 – ESPN
2009 – ESPN
2008 – NBC
2007 – CBS
2006 – CBS
2005 – CBS
2004 – FOX
2003 – FOX
Shhhhhh. Let them think this is a good deal for ESPN. I’m done arguing with people. NBC now has a sports partner to shoulder with ND games.

Shhhhhh. Let them think this is a good deal for ESPN. I’m done arguing with people. NBC now has a sports partner to shoulder with ND games.
You seem to be wandering on your argument in an attempt to justify not being with ESPN anymore. No one is claiming this is bad for the Bog Ten. The revenue dollars are staggering. But building it up by denigrating the reach, ratings, viewership and influence of ESPN does not a great deal make.

• Haha
Reactions: Victorbmyboy
2020 didn’t happen?
you really can't read?

Both 2020 and 2019 are referenced for comparison's sake.

And 2020 college football ratings were in the hole for everyone. Hell, youre the one that first said "well 2020 was covid, so of course 2021 was higher". Well no ish?? Hence the inclusion of 2019 comparison data.

Would seem it’s mostly confirmed by the massive difference in audience . . .
ESPN and ESPN2, which have the majority of college hoops games during the regular season, both saw gains in 2021-22. ESPN averaged 928,000 viewers, up 21%. ESPN2 averaged 281,000 viewers, up 22%. ESPNU saw a 6% uptick.

Fox Sports also saw gains for its networks. Fox averaged 858,000 viewers for games, up 8%, while FS1 averaged 183,000, up 13%. The Fox-controlled Big Ten Network averaged 215,000 viewers for games, up 9%.​

So cable provider ESPN averaged a little below 1 million viewers for college hoops in 202-2022. Cable provider FS1 averaged a little under 200k viewers.

Seems significant.

I'm going to be pissed if they are going to carry them on their premium networks.

I'm quite happy with Hulu+ live TV, Netflix, & Prime as-is. I don't want to end up spending more than I used to with cable to get Peacock & whatever the other networks streaming deals will be.
We use YouTubeTV in FL and it has all of it.

i can't stand watching any game on any ESPN channel.

the never ending crawl at the bottom of the screen drives me nuts to the point that i made a cardboard cutout yrs ago that i use to cover it up if i'm watching a whole game.

unfortunately, in our copycat business world, that ridiculous never ending crawl of minutia has been copied by FS1 and other iirc.

seem like games on Fox don't have it though, and hope they don't start.

I've always said that either one of the AZ schools would be a better addition than Cal, especially if the B1G adds Stanford. With UCLA and USC and, most likely Stanford too, the B1G has the state covered. With that Cal doesn't add any significant viewers or ad dollars

I prefer AZ St. over U of AZ simply because it has a larger alumni base and it's based in Phoenix....

Adding the #11 TV market ... and one of the fast growing DMAs ... is a look toward the future... Cal, not so much

Looking at Washington---To me, easily the #1 BT fit of the 4 PAC schools left. Public school. Something like 45000 students, including 16000 grad students. Rated as a top 10/top 20 university world-wide by the various evaluators. Not quite as high by US News, which is only undergrad, but still very good (something like #59). #1 among all US public Us in federal research $s. Averages in the mid-60000s in football attendance. Good athletic dept overall, although not quite in the same class there as Stanford & UCLA. Great, scenic stadium. Good rivalry with Oregon. Located in Seattle's large, high-tech market. Only downside I see: something like 1100 miles from LA, 800 miles from SF, 300 miles from Eugene, so people underestimate the distances involved; also, basketball attendance only 7500 or so.

Looking at Stanford---#2 in desirability in my view. Top 5 US news undergrad, top 5 most world-wide ratings overall. #1 athletic program, all sports included, for many years running. Pretty successful in football the last 15 years. Newish stadium, but only seats 50000. SF market is desirable.

I feel like Stanford has huge ups, but pretty significant downs as well, including: smallish enrollment for a BT school---17000, which includes about 8000 undergrads. Football & basketball aren't nearly as much of a big deal as at most BT Us, ala Northwestern. Given mediocre support, do you need Cal as well to 'capture' the SF college football market? Also, Stanford's policy of not allowing 5th years to remain on 'ship will cost them big time......is their football success sustainable given that policy?

Looking at Oregon---Most would have Oregon as #2, but I'd put them as #3. Obviously the highest profile of the PAC 4 schools the last 15 years in football. Phil Knight $. Pretty enthusiastic fan base, Good rivalry with UW. No professional football (or basketball) teams in Oregon, so UO football is a big deal. But.......smallish campus by BT standards, something like 23000 enrollment. How much of their football success is sustainable? Knight is like 85 yrs old---do his kids keep supporting the U? How long do the uniforms keep their magic? Also, the school is mediocre to bad academically by BT standards. #99 US News academically isn't too bad, but grad schools are undistinguished......school rates in the 300s in world university rankings. Smallish football stadium (54000). Also, school is located in Eugene, which is like 100 miles(?) from Portland, which isn't that big a market to begin with.

Looking at Cal---I give great weight to academics, but it's still a sports league. Washington, Stanford & Oregon are simply of higher profile in the sports dept. Cal has never really enjoyed sustained success in football or basketball and their overall program success, in all sports, is way below Stanford, as well as UW(?). They have a ton of NCs in sports like water polo & rowing, but they've been mediocre in the 'minor' sports that some of us do care about, like baseball, softball, soccer, volleyball et al.

And yet.........It's a BT style huge public U with 45000 students, including 14000 grad students....pretty similar to UW in that regard. And I'm pretty sure that if Stanford & Cal are equally successful in football, Cal gets 5000-10000 larger attendance. They've had decent attendance in the past when the team is competitive. They have a bigger (63000) but very old stadium. And a long-standing rivalry with Stanford that gets some national attention. And academically, they're the #1 rated public school in the P5 and in the top 5 nationally & world-wide overall. Can the eggheads running the show leave them out? So......I can talk myself into Cal as #4.

Looking at others: None of the PAC 4 had anything substantial to the BT in terms of men's basketball. There are a couple of possibilities who would---Kansas and Arizona,

AZ is a big ten style U with 45000 attendance in a state where a lot of MWs have retired. Rated #99 (as I recall) in US News, so decent there. Interest in bball and bball attendance is huge in comparison to the PAC 4. Others have pointed out that ASU is bigger and in a bigger TV market, but I don't think the BT gives ASU much consideration given it's academic rating & rep. Football has struggled somewhat, for reasons I don't fully understand. It doesn't look like a top half BT school in football, but I think it can be middle-of-the-pack.

Kansas is the biggest basketball brand available in realignment, and has a national following at this point. That will be a very big deal in the future when the NCAA loses control over March Madness. It has a pretty large sports budget given how bad football has been. I do think the potential is there to get out of the football hole, but it would probably always be a bottom third BT football school. It is the flagship school in the state, but has smallish attendance at about 27000, with a ranking of 124 or so in US News----maybe slightly higher rated than Nebraska. Also a smallish market, obviously. And football has recently been very poor. But, I think KU has enough support in-state that TV ratings would be ok if they can keep from sucking. I do like it as a geographic bridge, and I do think their basketball success is hugely important, even compared to AZ.....especially when we would otherwise be taking in 3 mediocre basketball programs.

And one final school to consider---Colorado. Another potential geographic bridge. Had a pretty good football rivalry with Nebraska back in the day. Doesn't add anything in terms of basketball, but has a pretty fair football history, with good support when competitive. As I recall a pretty large stadium (63000?) in a scenic location. Would be a long but great road trip. 37000 students with a #99 US News ranking--same as Oregon's, but much better grad school rankings. I would definitely be ok with Colorado as the 4th.

I think the BT adds 2 or 4 within a year. I see ND staying independent for at least 10 more years, and probably forever. UW & Oregon if 2. UW, Oregon, Stanford and 1 of Cal/Kansas/AZ/Colorado if 4.

Last edited:
Looking at Washington---To me, easily the #1 BT fit of the 4 PAC schools left. Public school. Something like 45000 students, including 16000 grad students. Rated as a top 10/top 20 university world-wide by the various evaluators. Not quite as high by US News, which is only undergrad, but still very good (something like #59). #1 among all US public Us in federal research $s. Averages in the mid-60000s in football attendance. Good athletic dept overall, although not quite in the same class there as Stanford & UCLA. Great, scenic stadium. Good rivalry with Oregon. Located in Seattle's large, high-tech market. Only downside I see: something like 1100 miles from LA, 800 miles from SF, 300 miles from Eugene, so people underestimate the distances involved; also, basketball attendance only 7500 or so.

Looking at Stanford---#2 in desirability in my view. Top 5 US news undergrad, top 5 most world-wide ratings overall. #1 athletic program, all sports included, for many years running. Pretty successful in football the last 15 years. Newish stadium, but only seats 50000. SF market is desirable.

I feel like Stanford has huge ups, but pretty significant downs as well, including: smallish enrollment for a BT school---17000, which includes about 8000 undergrads. Football & basketball aren't nearly as much of a big deal as at most BT Us, ala Northwestern. Given mediocre support, do you need Cal as well to 'capture' the SF college football market? Also, Stanford's policy of not allowing 5th years to remain on 'ship will cost them big time......is their football success sustainable given that policy?

Looking at Oregon---Most would have Oregon as #2, but I'd put them as #3. Obviously the highest profile of the PAC 4 schools the last 15 years in football. Phil Knight $. Pretty enthusiastic fan base, Good rivalry with UW. No professional football (or basketball) teams in Oregon, so UO football is a big deal. But.......smallish campus by BT standards, something like 23000 enrollment. How much of their football success is sustainable? Knight is like 85 yrs old---do his kids keep supporting the U? How long do the uniforms keep their magic? Also, the school is mediocre to bad academically by BT standards. #99 US News academically isn't too bad, but grad schools are undistinguished......school rates in the 300s in world university rankings. Smallish football stadium (54000). Also, school is located in Eugene, which is like 100 miles(?) from Portland, which isn't that big a market to begin with.

Looking at Cal---I give great weight to academics, but it's still a sports league. Washington, Stanford & Oregon are simply of higher profile in the sports dept. Cal has never really enjoyed sustained success in football or basketball and their overall program success, in all sports, is way below Stanford, as well as UW(?). They have a ton of NCs in sports like water polo & rowing, but they've been mediocre in the 'minor' sports that some of us do care about, like baseball, softball, soccer, volleyball et al.

And yet.........It's a BT style huge public U with 45000 students, including 14000 grad students....pretty similar to UW in that regard. And I'm pretty sure that if Stanford & Cal are equally successful in football, Cal gets 5000-10000 larger attendance. They've had decent attendance in the past when the team is competitive. They have a bigger (63000) but very old stadium. And a long-standing rivalry with Stanford that gets some national attention. And academically, they're the #1 rated public school in the P5 and in the top 5 nationally & world-wide overall. Can the eggheads running the show leave them out? So......I can talk myself into Cal as #4.

Looking at others: None of the PAC 4 had anything substantial to the BT in terms of men's basketball. There are a couple of possibilities who would---Kansas and Arizona,

AZ is a big ten style U with 45000 attendance in a state where a lot of MWs have retired. Rated #99 (as I recall) in US News, so decent there. Interest in bball and bball attendance is huge in comparison to the PAC 4. Others have pointed out that ASU is bigger and in a bigger TV market, but I don't think the BT gives ASU much consideration given it's academic rating & rep. Football has struggled somewhat, for reasons I don't fully understand. It doesn't look like a top half BT school in football, but I think it can be middle-of-the-pack.

Kansas is the biggest basketball brand available in realignment, and has a national following at this point. That will be a very big deal in the future when the NCAA loses control over March Madness. It has a pretty large sports budget given how bad football has been. I do think the potential is there to get out of the football hole, but it would probably always be a bottom third BT football school. It is the flagship school in the state, but has smallish attendance at about 27000, with a ranking of 124 or so in US News----maybe slightly higher rated than Nebraska. Also a smallish market, obviously. And football has recently been very poor. But, I think KU has enough support in-state that TV ratings would be ok if they can keep from sucking. I do like it as a geographic bridge, and I do think their basketball success is hugely important, even compared to AZ.....especially when we would otherwise be taking in 3 mediocre basketball programs.

And one final school to consider---Colorado. Another potential geographic bridge. Had a pretty good football rivalry with Nebraska back in the day. Doesn't add anything in terms of basketball, but has a pretty fair football history, with good support when competitive. As I recall a pretty large stadium (63000?) in a scenic location. Would be a long but great road trip. 37000 students with a #99 US News ranking--same as Oregon's, but much better grad school rankings. I would definitely be ok with Colorado as the 4th.

I think the BT adds 2 or 4 within a year. I see ND staying independent for at least 10 more years, and probably forever. UW & Oregon if 2. UW, Oregon, Stanford and 1 of Cal/Kansas/AZ/Colorado if 4.
Very good points.... I agree with you on... UW, Oregon and Stanford ...

but, I think AZ St should be the 4th merely because of the market size and continued growth.... the Phoenix DMA grew by 278,000 HH's from 2020 to 2021!!... that's 14.8% increase. Yes, the academics are short but if the B1G felt good about taking Nebraska ... AZ State and Nebraska rank about the same academicall...... why shouldn't they like AZ St.? Having two schools with average at best academics isn't going to lower the B1G academic reputation.... Rhetorical but I think the long term potential for the B1G to grow is with AZ St.... or, AZ.

As I've stated earlier, adding Cal would only be incremental in terms of adding viewers... Plus, California's population declined by .3% in the past year... it's growth rate from 2010 to 2020 was 5.8%.... This was slower than the rate of growth in the rest of the nation (6.8%).... another reason the B1G wouldn't need all four of the major Cal universities.... Cal should be the short man out.

In 2021 the SanFran/Oak/SanJose DMA where the majority of Cal's alumni reside, did show some growth from the prior year with 288,000 additional HH's ...... increase but the 12.2 % increase doesn't compare to Phoenix or Denver

If the B1G gets the three most recognizable football schools in all of the state with USC, UCLA and Stanford they don't need to bother with Cal....

Colorado is interesting, similar to how I see Phoenix.... from 2020 to 2021 the Denver DMA grew 17.3%..or, 266,000 HH's !!... and projections don't see it slowing down soon... again, it offers growth and potential.

Kansas, sorry but there's not much there that says it has much potential to grow the B1G's footprint.

These are some of the more important numbers the networks and the conferences use to evaluate the worth of their contracts.... Unless you're talking about the NDs, Bamas, OSUs and Texas' of the world with proven "brands" and a known history of a very large and rabid fan base... Most schools like a UWash or Colorado or Rutgers or Minnestoa, aren't nearly as important as the POTENTIAL dollars the school can attract by being the home school witin a large market....

Last edited:

but, I think AZ St should be the 4th merely because of the market size and continued growth.... the Phoenix DMA grew by 278,000 HH's from 2020 to 2021!!... that's 14.8% increase. Yes, the academics are short but if the B1G felt good about taking Nebraska ... AZ State and Nebraska rank about the same academicall...... why shouldn't they like AZ St.? Having two schools with average at best academics isn't going to lower the B1G academic reputation.... Rhetorical but I think the long term potential for the B1G to grow is with AZ St.... or, AZ.

As I've stated earlier, adding Cal would only be incremental in terms of adding viewers... Plus, California's population declined by .3% in the past year... it's growth rate from 2010 to 2020 was 5.8%.... This was slower than the rate of growth in the rest of the nation (6.8%).... another reason the B1G wouldn't need all four of the major Cal universities.... Cal should be the short man out.

In 2021 the SanFran/Oak/SanJose DMA where the majority of Cal's alumni reside, did show some growth from the prior year with 288,000 additional HH's ...... increase but the 12.2 % increase doesn't compare to Phoenix or Denver

If the B1G gets the three most recognizable football schools in all of the state with USC, UCLA and Stanford they don't need to bother with Cal....

Colorado is interesting, similar to how I see Phoenix.... from 2020 to 2021 the Denver DMA grew 17.3%..or, 266,000 HH's !!... and projections don't see it slowing down soon... again, it offers growth and potential.

Kansas, sorry but there's not much there that says it has much potential to grow the B1G's footprint.

These are some of the more important numbers the networks and the conferences use to evaluate the worth of their contracts.... Unless you're talking about the NDs, Bamas, OSUs and Texas' of the world with proven "brands" and a known history of a very large and rabid fan base... Most schools like a UWash or Colorado or Rutgers or Minnestoa, aren't nearly as important as the POTENTIAL dollars the school can attract by being the home school witin a large market....

Agree that if you add USC, UCLA, UW and Stanford you have some 'room' to accept less than great academic schools like Oregon & ASU......

I checked how far Tempe is from LA----381 miles, basically the same distance as LA to SF.

I see Cal having 2 big advantages over ASU.....academics, obviously, although ASU is at #117 in US News, which is higher than Nebraska, and I do think the trend is up. If I'm thinking right, ASU isn't AAU, which is still a big deal to the eggheads. The other is that Cal would actually be a legit travel partner for Stanford. When the IU softball team flies to California they fly into SF and play Cal & Stanford, maybe on the same field back-to-back, then take a short flight to LA to play USC and UCLA. You wouldn't get this benefit with ASU (or Oregon or Washington). And I think it's a big deal in the long-run. Same for baseball , volleyball et al. In this sense, ASU is something of an outlier.

But I agree that ASU brings more to the table market-wise than Cal. I would seriously consider taking ASU rather than Oregon----much bigger school, about the same academically, in a much bigger and new market that has many thousands of transplanted mid-westerners. Perhaps has a higher ceiling than Oregon in football anyway. This outcome would pretty much put UW on an island, but Eugene is 300 miles or so from Seattle anyway, so it's not an IU/Purdue or Purdue/Illinois situation anyway.

I think Stanford will be in. ASU, Washington and Oregon probably too. Stanford vs Michigan for the academic bowl.

An interesting interview with the ND AD today.

I've always believed that ND will not join the BT, no way, no how. But especially if they have to write a $150-175M check to the ACC to get out. That is, no way they write that check to do something they don't want to do anyway.

But Swarbrick(?)'s interview today was somewhat eye-opening. Perhaps there are doubts NBC will get them close enough to the $75M they want to stay independent, and would just as soon like them to go the BT. People are pointing out that ESPN is still there with lots of $, having turned down the Big 10. But doesn't ESPN already have the SEC in that 3:30 time slot that ND likes? Would they pay ND $75M to go up against the SEC's #1 game each week? Or would ND be willing to move the time to suit ESPN?

I won't try to paraphrase the AD's comments.....those interested might want to check out the CSNbbs realignment forum, which is a very good one for realignment discussion.

I've always believed that ND will not join the BT, no way, no how. But especially if they have to write a $150-175M check to the ACC to get out. That is, no way they write that check to do something they don't want to do anyway.

But Swarbrick(?)'s interview today was somewhat eye-opening. Perhaps there are doubts NBC will get them close enough to the $75M they want to stay independent, and would just as soon like them to go the BT. People are pointing out that ESPN is still there with lots of $, having turned down the Big 10. But doesn't ESPN already have the SEC in that 3:30 time slot that ND likes? Would they pay ND $75M to go up against the SEC's #1 game each week? Or would ND be willing to move the time to suit ESPN?

I won't try to paraphrase the AD's comments.....those interested might want to check out the CSNbbs realignment forum, which is a very good one for realignment discussion.
I'm not following why ND would have to pay $150-$175 million to get out of the ACC? They're not really in the ACC as it pertains to media rights for football, which is what the ACC grant of rights is all about.

They low balled and are now going to scramble to get content. From reports the B1G stood firm. They knew they had the leverage and ESPN was essentially out before it started. Yes I think nbc likes the idea but they don’t have to move right now from what I’m seeing. If this thing pays out double than what ND gets I’m sure they will be forced to join. It will be interesting what the ratings will be head to head for that 3:30 game. If ND out does the SEC ratings for that 3:30 spot it will be hilarious. I suspect they might.

They low balled and are now going to scramble to get content. From reports the B1G stood firm. They knew they had the leverage and ESPN was essentially out before it started. Yes I think nbc likes the idea but they don’t have to move right now from what I’m seeing. If this thing pays out double than what ND gets I’m sure they will be forced to join. It will be interesting what the ratings will be head to head for that 3:30 game. If ND out does the SEC ratings for that 3:30 spot it will be hilarious. I suspect they might.
How did ESPN ”low ball” their offer?

“In addition to Fox, which had locked up Big Ten rights months ago, the conference is likely to partner with both CBS and NBC. Such deals, if finalized, could result in the following Saturday slate: a noon ET game on Fox, a 3:30 p.m. ET game on CBS and primetime on NBC. Multiple sources involved in the negotiations have reiterated over the past month that the Big Ten has prioritized those windows throughout the process. CBS is expected to pay the Big Ten $350 million per year in its new deal, a source confirmed to The Athletic. NBC is also expected to pay around $350 million per year, according to multiple reports.

Sports Business Journal first reported that ESPN had officially pulled out of Big Ten negotiations after saying no to the conference’s final offer of a seven-year deal worth $380 million per year. The news is undoubtedly historic. ESPN has carried Big Ten football and basketball games for the last 40 years; it has shared rights with Fox in the current deal, which is set to expire in 2023.

The Big Ten’s offer rejected by ESPN was for only 13 of the Big Ten’s “B”/“C” package of games; ESPN had also looked at a primetime package. Fox has already landed the league’s “A” package of games, which it will carry in the noon window.

ESPN’s exclusive 10-year deal with the SEC, starting in 2024-25, is believed to be in the $300 million range. That deal includes both 3:30 p.m. ET and primetime ET windows for the conference’s premier games, which differs from what the network was in play for with the Big Ten. Clearly, the Worldwide Leader did not value the Big Ten’s secondary package at a higher price for fewer years than its SEC deal, especially with the network already obligated to the ACC as well.”

Can't argue with the numbers, but the proof is in the pudding, as they say. When 2024 rolls around we'll be able to see how much of all that viewership was BT and BT game matchups, in and out of conference.

How did ESPN ”low ball” their offer?

“In addition to Fox, which had locked up Big Ten rights months ago, the conference is likely to partner with both CBS and NBC. Such deals, if finalized, could result in the following Saturday slate: a noon ET game on Fox, a 3:30 p.m. ET game on CBS and primetime on NBC. Multiple sources involved in the negotiations have reiterated over the past month that the Big Ten has prioritized those windows throughout the process. CBS is expected to pay the Big Ten $350 million per year in its new deal, a source confirmed to The Athletic. NBC is also expected to pay around $350 million per year, according to multiple reports.

Sports Business Journal first reported that ESPN had officially pulled out of Big Ten negotiations after saying no to the conference’s final offer of a seven-year deal worth $380 million per year. The news is undoubtedly historic. ESPN has carried Big Ten football and basketball games for the last 40 years; it has shared rights with Fox in the current deal, which is set to expire in 2023.

The Big Ten’s offer rejected by ESPN was for only 13 of the Big Ten’s “B”/“C” package of games; ESPN had also looked at a primetime package. Fox has already landed the league’s “A” package of games, which it will carry in the noon window.

ESPN’s exclusive 10-year deal with the SEC, starting in 2024-25, is believed to be in the $300 million range. That deal includes both 3:30 p.m. ET and primetime ET windows for the conference’s premier games, which differs from what the network was in play for with the Big Ten. Clearly, the Worldwide Leader did not value the Big Ten’s secondary package at a higher price for fewer years than its SEC deal, especially with the network already obligated to the ACC as well.”
It was an earlier offer 180 million. I’ll try to find it. That’s when the B1G said 380.

Nothing like a CBS gameday
Get up.
Watch a few hours of cartoons they show in the morning.
Then it’s on to local news.
After the news, first game plays.
Intermission - Gunsmoke or CSI.
2nd game
Local News
Episode of “Young Sheldon.”
NCIS Vegas
News
The Late Show
Extra

Just a reminder

When cutting and pasting information from other sources, those sources must be appropriately cited. otherwise it is simply plagiarism putting this site at risk, and making yourself look foolish.

Hope this helps.

Your Phoenix DMA nums surprised me. Had to look that up. 1.9MM TVHH. Yes please.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT