ADVERTISEMENT

Cardiac Kids

Haven’t played a solid game since Marquette. What happened to that team?

Ugh .... sigh ..

Well there's this thing that all the kids (who aren't injured) are doing called practicing, which causes this thing called improvement and then those players also practice together so they build this thing called team chemistry. While the coaches and teams do this thing called scouting where they highlight tendencies and weaknesses of opposing players and the type of things the opposing teams like to run and create counters for them. Which causes the coach to create counters and the players to eliminate weaknesses.

Early in the season, there's not as much information or tape and teams are not near proficient.

Example: young players like Phin and Romeo get different stuff thrown at them each game as more information is gathered. After Arkansas sped Phin up, everyone else followed suit. Duke went to a 3/4 press to do it, and it took RP 3 or 4 games to adjust and it's not as much of a problem.

When you have 1/4th of your rotational minutes either sidelined or gimped it affects the thing called practice and the thing called chemistry. Coaches cannot implement new sets or schemes, or have to redo them as players come back. this especially hurts younger teams.

While this is happening, teams and players that don't have injuries are becoming more and more proficient and everyone is getting more and more scouting information.

Team proficiencies are ever in a constant state of mostly upward motion, it's not static.

We've been slowed down in our progress, it shows mostly on the offensive end where we are out of sorts. So, we're still basically behind in team proficiency, and it shows. We're still a Nov team, while most are in Dec. Thank God it's only Dec and not Feb when it really matters.

Things not being mentioned by the chronic malcontents.. In each game we have made an adjustment in the first half vs whatever scheme the opposing team is running. Which keeps us in the game even though we're playing like crap.. We have also adjusted at half time and have been more efficient in the second half of each game, which keeps us in the game, and gives us a chance, even though we're playing like crap.

We have a coach and a team that understands how to manufacture wins when playing like crap.. Good teams do that and it's much better than losing.

Last edited:
Yeah, we really didn’t deserve that win IMO. But we got it and I will always take a W.
They scored 3 more points than their opponent in the 40 minutes of play so they deserved to win.

If you want to say they didn't play well enough to deserve to win then you can also look at it like this: Butler didn't play good enough defense. They let IU shoot over 50% overall while shooting only 43% themselves. They let a poor 3-point shooting team shoot almost 43% from behind the arc. They had no answer for Morgan, letting him score a career high 35 points. They didn't draw enough fouls, only shooting 2 FT. They got blocked 6 times and out rebounded. So Butler deserved to win?

It's supposed to be more fun than this. And less stressful. Tight games are one thing when both Teams are playing well but this slithering across the finish line routine after playing poorly just sucks. Doesn't even feel like winning so much as escaping.

Nice shot Rob. Just enough to keep me coming back like the junkie I am. Aside from that shot, hate that the high point of the game was watching the exhilaration by the Bench.
Felt like a win to me! ;) I would be happy to some larger margins too.

That's a racist word to use for a black young man. I'll guess that you don't mean it to be but it is.

Really? Am sure I had no idea. :rolleyes:

Screw that. It's a common noun indicating gender and if every word that's been used to denote racist feelings was banned we'd all be deaf and dumb. I capitalized it as an indication of respect and if you review my posting history you'll see that I've expressed as much if not more 'affection' for Aljami as anyone here.

Screw that. It's a common noun indicating gender and if every word that's been used to denote racist feelings was banned we'd all be deaf and dumb. I capitalized it as an indication of respect and if you review my posting history you'll see that I've expressed as much if not more 'affection' for Aljami as anyone here.
Go ahead if you want to sound like a racist. Since you capitalized it you could think of yourself as a respectful racist. :rolleyes: Would you call Aljami a boy to his face? Would you call me a boy? I'm black too and I don't think you would.

Go ahead if you want to sound like a racist. Since you capitalized it you could think of yourself as a respectful racist. :rolleyes: Would you call Aljami a boy to his face? Would you call me a boy? I'm black too and I don't think you would.

rikki is no rascist. A Commie maybe, but no rascist

I use the word kid in this case. The meaning is exactly the same but it only offends goats and they can't react because they don't have thumbs. BTW fair warning...I am offended by the term middle aged so use it at your own risk.

Eat it. Routinely call all my brothers boy - am colorblind as a dog.

Specific hot-button epithets aside, it's rarely about what words are used so much as how, e.g., "Boy are you in your right mind?" being offered in response to something as trivial as the basis for your charge of racism. Likely not an attribution I'd use on a first meeting absent some familiarity but could happen - depends on how much fun we were having.

Eat it. Routinely call all my brothers boy - am colorblind as a dog.

Specific hot-button epithets aside, it's rarely about what words are used so much as how, e.g., "Boy are you in your right mind?" being offered in response to something as trivial as the basis for your charge of racism. Likely not an attribution I'd use on a first meeting absent some familiarity but could happen - depends on how much fun we were having.
I'm not your boy and if you want to sound like a redneck racist that's your business. Note I didn't call you a racist. I just said using the word for a black man sounds racist.

I'm not your boy and if you want to sound like a redneck racist that's your business. Note I didn't call you a racist. I just said using the word for a black man sounds racist.

Essentially the same thing. Can tell you from experience that 'prosecuting' even gross cases of racist expression on this Board is a pretty thin/thankless proposition as I'm usually the first one calling anyone out. The hair-splitting angle you're on about with me is basically untenable - I know and knew exactly what I was saying when I wrote it, maintain there's nothing wrong with the sentiment as expressed, and have been called boy plenty of times myself in my life, sometimes good-naturedly, sometimes not. None of that is going to cause me to cashier the word even though I'm just as cognizant as you or anyone else as to how the word can be used to imply contempt. If you feel the need to read something into my statement that isn't there in defense of someone who isn't here and IMO completely over-react, so be it, but pretty sure I'm not your problem.

Boy, son, etc... have all been used by coaches to get a young man's attention.... "Son, was that the play we called?". "Boy, where are you supposed to be on help side defense?" These are gender terms. When any of my coaches yeloed that out i dont believe they were being racist, they were trying teach young men the correct fundamentals and how to play smart basketball.

Boy, son, etc... have all been used by coaches to get a young man's attention.... "Son, was that the play we called?". "Boy, where are you supposed to be on help side defense?" These are gender terms. When any of my coaches yeloed that out i dont believe they were being racist, they were trying teach young men the correct fundamentals and how to play smart basketball.
I played basketball and football. No coach ever called me boy. I have been called son and that's different. You guys can think calling a black man boy is OK if you want I only thought you would like to know that you sound like a racist when you do. I'm not all that politically correct but some things just aren't done. I will only recommend neither of you walk up to a crowd of black men and call one of them a boy.

I played basketball and football. No coach ever called me boy. I have been called son and that's different. You guys can think calling a black man boy is OK if you want I only thought you would like to know that you sound like a racist when you do. I'm not all that politically correct but some things just aren't done. I will only recommend neither of you walk up to a crowd of black men and call one of them a boy.

I never called or addressed Aljami as "boy". Never happened. I said, "What's the hell is going on with that Boy". If you are unable to see the profound difference between that and something like, "What is going on with you Boy?" where 'boy' is used as a direct personal form of address rather than indirectly as a means of distinguishing a particular boy from many others, that's your problem, not mine.

If you are so offended leave. This racist crap is just ridiculous. I think the way you post makes it clear you don't like white folks. Not saying you are racist just that the way you post makes it seem that way. :rolleyes:

If you are so offended leave. This racist crap is just ridiculous. I think the way you post makes it clear you don't like white folks. Not saying you are racist just that the way you post makes it seem that way. :rolleyes:

You're doing exactly what you're railing against. And he didn't say anything of the kind - at worst he's guilty of not seeing the difference between the way I used 'boy' and the way it's often used to belittle someone face to face. Racism is not "ridiculous" or "crap" - it's poison. I at least empathize with and appreciate the things that inform his perspective - you on the other hand sound like an alien.

You're doing exactly what you're railing against. And he didn't say anything of the kind - at worst he's guilty of not seeing the difference between the way I used 'boy' and the way it's often used to belittle someone face to face. Racism is not "ridiculous" or "crap" - it's poison. I at least empathize with and appreciate the things that inform his perspective - you on the other hand sound like an alien.

I replied just the same way he did. It was obvious you meant nothing about race. Why is race brought into every friggin discussion? If he is so offended he needs to stay away from the internet.

It's supposed to be more fun than this. And less stressful. Tight games are one thing when both Teams are playing well but this slithering across the finish line routine after playing poorly just sucks. Doesn't even feel like winning so much as escaping.

Nice shot Rob. Just enough to keep me coming back like the junkie I am. Aside from that shot, hate that the high point of the game was watching the exhilaration by the Bench.
Just enjoy the dag-gum show and quite yer belly-aching. It’s exciting basket, four games in a row you’ll never see in a stretch like that ever again. The farm boys used to call them kind of games ”barnburners”. Not sure why. You best be asking someone else.

Reactions: MrBing
Just enjoy the dag-gum show and quite yer belly-aching. It’s exciting basket, four games in a row you’ll never see in a stretch like that ever again. The farm boys used to call them kind of games ”barnburners”. Not sure why. You best be asking someone else.

Reads like Elmer Fudd meets internet.

I never called or addressed Aljami as "boy". Never happened. I said, "What's the hell is going on with that Boy". If you are unable to see the profound difference between that and something like, "What is going on with you Boy?" where 'boy' is used as a direct personal form of address rather than indirectly as a means of distinguishing a particular boy from many others, that's your problem, not mine.
Don’t start back tracking now. You referred to Al as boy. Bling simply let you know that as a black man he finds that racist. I’m a white guy in the south and would never call or refer to a black man as boy, it’s disrespectful. You made a racist comment, just apologize, learn and move on.

Don’t start back tracking now. You referred to Al as boy. Bling simply let you know that as a black man he finds that racist. I’m a white guy in the south and would never call or refer to a black man as boy, it’s disrespectful. You made a racist comment, just apologize, learn and move on.

You can eat it as well. Guy, boy, man, child, dude - used in the context it was, 'boy' was no more racist than saying, "Boy-oh-boy, are you ever dense". See what you want to see - doesn't mean it's real.

Are you kidding me? My father is white so about half of my relatives are white. I work with white people and have a lot of white friends. I like white people just fine. I only explained that it SOUNDS racist to call a black man "boy." Actual racist do it also. If you aren't racist and don't want to sound racist don't do it. You seem defensive about this did a strike a nerve? And do you really want to make the black guy leave your basketball board neighborhood? ;)

Are you kidding me? My father is white so about half of my relatives are white. I work with white people and have a lot of white friends. I like white people just fine. I only explained that it SOUNDS racist to call a black man "boy." Actual racist do it also. If you aren't racist and don't want to sound racist don't do it. You seem defensive about this did a strike a nerve? And do you really want to make the black guy leave your basketball board neighborhood? ;)

Yeah it hit a nerve. Interjecting racism in a thread that was nothing close to it seemed really silly. And i don't care what color you are.

Reactions: SIhoosier26
Was "Bling" a Freudian slip? ;)

You can eat it as well. Guy, boy, man, child, dude - used in the context it was, 'boy' was no more racist than saying, "Boy-oh-boy, are you ever dense". See what you want to see - doesn't mean it's real.
Sorry, it’s just that you seem flustered. I was just trying to let you know that it’s ok to admit you are wrong and move on. It’s the same thing you would expect of someone else making an insensitive, racist comment.

Sorry, it’s just that you seem flustered. I was just trying to let you know that it’s ok to admit you are wrong and move on. It’s the same thing you would expect of someone else making an insensitive, racist comment.

And you seem full of shit. Go patronize your Mama, it's her job to be on your side when you're acting a dolt, not mine. From the sound of it, seems she's made a career of it already.

And you seem full of shit. Go patronize your Mama, it's her job to be on your side when you're acting a dolt, not mine. From the sound of it, seems she's made a career of it already.
My Mom passed away 10/2016. Wonderful woman and huge IU Basketball fan. Ted Kitchel was her all time favorite player! Not sure why you are being so hurtful and insensitive....kind of strange coming from a sensitive, progressive personality.

My Mom passed away 10/2016. Wonderful woman and huge IU Basketball fan. Ted Kitchel was her all time favorite player! Not sure why you are being so hurtful and insensitive....kind of strange coming from a sensitive, progressive personality.

Just speculation on why you're so simple-minded/dense. And you can stuff the sensitivity bit - you haven't evidenced enough capacity for discrimination to sell it anymore than the disingenuous attempt at irony.

Just speculation on why you're so simple-minded/dense. And you can stuff the sensitivity bit - you haven't evidenced enough capacity for discrimination to sell it anymore than the disingenuous attempt at irony.
Hurts my feelings that you think I’m dense and simple-minded. I think you are a really smart guy that simply made a verbal miscue that happened to be racist. Oh well, hopefully lesson learned.. I really enjoy your non-racist posts and look forward to more of them in the future. Hope you have a great evening...Go Hoosiers!

Hurts my feelings that you think I’m dense and simple-minded. I think you are a really smart guy that simply made a verbal miscue that happened to be racist. Oh well, hopefully lesson learned.. I really enjoy your non-racist posts and look forward to more of them in the future. Hope you have a great evening...Go Hoosiers!

Sure it does. As stated before, see what you want to see - truth can only be what you imagine. Doubtless enjoy any intelligent posts you've made if indeed such exists.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT