ADVERTISEMENT

Caleb Love

If Love is a high volume shooter there's probably a better fit for him somewhere else.

It's too bad for him that it took so long to sort through the school issue - if it was as simple as UM would only take 60 transferred hours it seems they would have known that awhile ago.

Reactions: kkott
Not really comparable. Bates was 35 coming out of HS and Ware was 7. Many projected Ware to be a potential lottery pick when he entered Oregon. The only projection for Bates was that he’d play in the NBA someday.
Okay but Altman is a good coach and Oregon is a solid program. And they couldn’t make it work.

It’s much more likely we’re getting a project than someone who’s going to come in and play himself into the lottery in year one.

Ware is a lottery pick now huh? Will he be taken in the lottery before or after Tamar?
Ware was a projected lottery pick coming out of high school and still a projected first round pick despite minimal production this year before announcing he was coming back to school. The NBA drafts on potential and there aren't many 7'1 kids with Ware's skill set. Even if he improves incrementally, he'll still likely be a first round pick after next year. Play at an all-conference level? He'd easily be a top 10 pick.

It’s much more likely we’re getting a project than someone who’s going to come in and play himself into the lottery in year one.
Ware played well in extended minutes last year. This isn't a kid you need to teach the game of basketball too. He's a highly skilled basketball player who needs proper guidance. Oregon was never a good fit for Ware. He only ended up there because the assistant who was recruiting him while at Arkansas left to take a position at Oregon and then left to become the head coach at Nebraska-Omaha before Ware arrived on campus.

Okay but Altman is a good coach and Oregon is a solid program. And they couldn’t make it work.

I’ve heard that Ware came to Oregon because of an assistant, who then left, so Ware felt somewhat abandoned. Looks to me he was never that close to Altman and based on his quick decision after his IU visit it appears he hit it off with Woodson immediately.

We’ll see.

Reactions: sglowrider

No love for all that?
Tantalizing talent for sure. But, living in NC and knowing a lot of UNC fans, I don't know any who are sad to see him leave. Maybe he's a scapegoat, but I think there's some fire to that smoke. The guy has talent, but takes a ton of bad shots. Can be a good defender when motivated, but I think scoring and being the man, is what flips his lid. Maybe Woody can coach him up and get to him, but again, to me it's a very big risk. Get it right and we could be a F4 team. Get it wrong and we could all be lamenting a very frustrating year and Woody could be pushed one step closer to retirement. The relationship with this group of players is whispered to be why Roy retired.

Tantalizing talent for sure. But, living in NC and knowing a lot of UNC fans, I don't know any who are sad to see him leave. Maybe he's a scapegoat, but I think there's some fire to that smoke. The guy has talent, but takes a ton of bad shots. Can be a good defender when motivated, but I think scoring and being the man, is what flips his lid. Maybe Woody can coach him up and get to him, but again, to me it's a very big risk. Get it right and we could be a F4 team. Get it wrong and we could all be lamenting a very frustrating year and Woody could be pushed one step closer to retirement. The relationship with this group of players is whispered to be why Roy retired.

Melo wasn't exactly a saint and yet...

It’ll only take one injury for us to say, “I wish we had Caleb Love”.
Exactly. If we do not get Love I expect we are all in Devo Davis assuming he does not stay in the draft. Rumors of him and IU were strong on twitter a month ago.

Exactly. If we do not get Love I expect we are all in Devo Davis assuming he does not stay in the draft. Rumors of him and IU were strong on twitter a month ago.
Ray Dennis hasn't committed yet......visited Illinois & Michigan....he'd make an excellent combo guard with X....don't know if we're on him or not.

This is Michigan. They only would transfer 60 credits. They did it to Shannon last year. I gather if you want a diploma that says Michigan on it they want you to take Michigan classes. I’d say if Love would’ve graduated he would be at UM as a graduate transfer.
If academics is the reason why this young man chose to not go to Michigan then I see this as a good thing. He cares about school which is getting more rare.

Love said “no” to IU out of high school, and “no” again when choosing Michigan. We don’t need to grovel, and I get the feeling his heart is not really all-in playing for IU.
his "heart" is probably with whoever will write the largest checks... (or is it whomever? I've never figured that one out)

Reactions: Hoosier Clarion
Rest assured, Woody will get whatever info he needs to make a reasonable decision on this. Basketball circles are small, and whatever happened at UNC, etc. he will know about it.

He’s coached as many egos as anyone currently in college during his career.
This. The NBA is nothing but egos.

Reactions: TomEric4756
I don’t think his transcripts are as people think. Every year you need approximately 30 hours to complete one year. He has plenty of credits to be at least a Junior and possibly a Senior. The issue is Michigan only accepted 60 of his hours, making him just a Sophomore. This is done, presumably, so regular students don’t go to Michigan for their last semester and come away with a Michigan diploma, thus skipping their perceived rigors of their school. I don’t think he’d have this issue at IU or many other schools. It’s not as though he’s not intelligent or a bunch of UNC classes have been deemed bogus.

Reactions: Hoosier Clarion
We have no idea what X will be next year. We’d like to think he’ll come back the same as we was or better, but we truly don’t know.

Love would be great insurance and they could also play together.

Let’s go get him.
Perhaps the best news is that J Newton is cleared to play at 100%! This kid has all the potential to be a helluva player. I'm sure he'll use this summer to get his full conditioning back and be ready to compete for minutes, whether we add another backcourt guy or not.

Reactions: ericrossiu
I don’t think his transcripts are as people think. Every year you need approximately 30 hours to complete one year. He has plenty of credits to be at least a Junior and possibly a Senior. The issue is Michigan only accepted 60 of his hours, making him just a Sophomore. This is done, presumably, so regular students don’t go to Michigan for their last semester and come away with a Michigan diploma, thus skipping their perceived rigors of their school. I don’t think he’d have this issue at IU or many other schools. It’s not as though he’s not intelligent or a bunch of UNC classes have been deemed bogus.
UNC.... bogus classes???? Never

Reactions: 4IUSox2
Perhaps the best news is that J Newton is cleared to play at 100%! This kid has all the potential to be a helluva player. I'm sure he'll use this summer to get his full conditioning back and be ready to compete for minutes, whether we add another backcourt guy or not.
We don’t need another guard imo

I think Galloway Gunn Newton can get the job done

• Love
Reactions: Lucy01

We don’t need another guard imo

I think Galloway Gunn Newton can get the job done
LOL! Newton should be a nice player eventually. He ain’t it chief as far as contending for the Big 10 and making a run in the tournament next year.

LOL! Newton should be a nice player eventually. He ain’t it chief as far as contending for the Big 10 and making a run in the tournament next year.
Hey Tonto, I clearly mentioned all three guards as a collection will get the job done. Settle down….it’s only May

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT