ADVERTISEMENT

Cafe Pizzeria

Ate there once. Got food poisoning and didn't think it was anything special even before getting sick. Seems odd to close with no notice and also odd to not be able to find a buyer.

Reactions: mcmurtry66
Darn, I didn't like Pizzeria much, but hopefully they can repurpose that classic old building for something. It is in rough shape though so could be the end.

Not the end of the world, but it would be too bad if it’s knocked down for another new building with a ground floor chain (though maybe could be independent) and apartments above it. Unfortunately that could be the best return for whoever owns that property.

Last edited:
Reactions: hookyIU1990
Even in ideal circumstances, the restaurant business is a never ending slog. These days with how hard it is to get, train and then retain staff plus rising costs all along the supply chain it can be even more challenging. As was otherwise stated, the property value at that location has to be off the charts and if they own it, maybe they figured it was finally time to cash in the chips. So it doesn't surprise me in the least. That they did it for 70 years is a testament to their commitment.

Darn, I didn't like Pizzeria much, but hopefully they can repurpose that classic old building for something. It is in rough shape though so could be the end.

Not the end of the world, but it would be too bad if it’s knocked down for another new building with a ground floor chain (though maybe could be independent) and apartments above it. Unfortunately that could be the best return for whoever owns that property.
A multilevel apartment building with parking garage is in the works for the east end of Kirkwood. It must not be the Pizzeria Bldg, announced the way it was.

I suspect this new building alluded to won’t contribute to the Kirkwood Ave ambience. Urban apartments have really gone the ugly, cheap building materials, lack of imagination in diversity of design look…all made out of ticky-tacky, all looking just the same with only minor modifications. The one we face directly west of Memorial Stadium is the poster child for the kind I’m talking about. Millennial’s are the architects of today and it shows. Too many video games during their more youthful phase.

Reactions: mcmurtry66
A multilevel apartment building with parking garage is in the works for the east end of Kirkwood. It must not be the Pizzeria Bldg, announced the way it was.

I suspect this new building alluded to won’t contribute to the Kirkwood Ave ambience. Urban apartments have really gone the ugly, cheap building materials, lack of imagination in diversity of design look…all made out of ticky-tacky, all looking just the same with only minor modifications. The one we face directly west of Memorial Stadium is the poster child for the kind I’m talking about. Millennial’s are the architects of today and it shows. Too many video games during their more youthful phase.

I worked on the Northwest side of Bloomington just off 37 in the mid to late 90's. Went back a few times in the early 00's and it was growing then. I haven't been back in 20 years give or take, so I can only imagine the changes. I have to ask though, it can't be as bad as the 1950's East German vibe that West Laffy gives off, can it?

I worked on the Northwest side of Bloomington just off 37 in the mid to late 90's. Went back a few times in the early 00's and it was growing then. I haven't been back in 20 years give or take, so I can only imagine the changes. I have to ask though, it can't be as bad as the 1950's East German vibe that West Laffy gives off, can it?
I recently noticed the spectacular stadium view seen as you descend the hill comIng off I-69’s 446/stadium exit is now obscured by multilevel building additions. I used to imagine what recruits thought of first seeing the two limestone monoliths from a half mile away.

Your East German 50’s/West Laffy analogy conjures up an image of IU’s Wright Quad only many more of them, enclosed in protective chain-linked fencing. That was back when Purdue students carried around their slide rulers enclosed in leather sheaths snapped to their trouser belts, much like cell phones today.

That said, I’ll always have a special place in my heart for Wright Quad. Popped a girl’s cherry there one night as her roommate walked in on us, exposing my ass in the softness of a full moon.

I ate there once or twice and I never liked it. Pizza stirs the emotions though, and I’m sure there are some that love their food. But not me.

Still, it would be cool if a good pizza place took over the space, because the location and vibe is top notch.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT