ADVERTISEMENT

Buy out

He really took IU! I say we hire a "consultant" who just happens to be a hell of a coach for $3.5 million asap after our season is over and reassign Crean to something else in the athletic department till July 1 at which point we fire him. That consultant can be getting a new crew in place, making plans, and ready to hit the ground running.

I like your plan. That contract is absurd. Isn't glass a lawyer and he put that thing together?

I am ready for a change but no way we cough up that buyout money

I like your plan. That contract is absurd. Isn't glass a lawyer and he put that thing together?

I really doubt the money will be that big of a deal.
Wilson and IU FBall win Sat and you know there will be no need to worry about extra money going to a new football coach. He'll get a small extension.
The B1G network is a cash cow, it looks like the B1G will have another team in the football playoffs which Im pretty sure gives money to every school.
If IU is looking at the the correct coaches donations and alumni will help.

Reactions: 1115NorthJordan

it looks like LSU is willing to poney upr 15 million to get rid of a very good coach so IU should be able to put the money together to buy Crean out.

I really hope 20 wins is not what it takes to keep the job becus eit should be more lke 24 and a good touranment run.
I agree with you but it sounds like your AD is pretty stubborn. As crazy as it sounds we (UK) got lucky when we hired Gilispie because he was such a dumpster fire on and off the court we were able to get rid of him after two years. Our AD would have never went after Cal had his job not been on the line because of the disastrous Gillispie hire. Good luck to you guys.

Reactions: ericrossiu
$7.5 million is really nothing compared to the very long term damage Crean is putting on this program if he's still the coach next season. It's sad as a proud IU-Bloomington alumni and junior there in 1987 to experience the championship run to see what this program has become. IU is really just a very average D1 program at this point. Nothing more.

I really doubt the money will be that big of a deal.
Wilson and IU FBall win Sat and you know there will be no need to worry about extra money going to a new football coach. He'll get a small extension.
The B1G network is a cash cow, it looks like the B1G will have another team in the football playoffs which Im pretty sure gives money to every school.
If IU is looking at the the correct coaches donations and alumni will help.

I may be in the minority, but I think Wilson has done a pretty good job....certainly better than Crean has.

Wilson was given the keys to a low-end Kia and at least has it out driving on the highway. Crean, on the other hand, was given the keys to 60s-era Corvette that was in a state of total disrepair when he got it, but was still a 60s era Corvette that could be restored and refurbished.

That Vette is at least running again, which is good. But it can't seem to go past 2nd gear.

I think Kevin Wilson deserves to keep his job. I think Crean should be shown the door as soon as we can afford it. And we should NEVER enter into a contract with another coach like the one Crean had....though I understand that he was holding all the cards when we signed him, while we were desperate to sign anybody with some credibility.

I'm sure most of you know this but that buyout is a non-factor. Every dime Crean earns elsewhere until the end of the existing contract (2020 I think) is subtracted from the amount owed to him. For instance, If he is fired on July 1st and IU owes him 4 million, and he takes another job making 1 million per year (and doesn't get fired again before 2020), IU owes him nothing.

Reactions: Ibuildfurnaces
I'm sure most of you know this but that buyout is a non-factor. Every dime Crean earns elsewhere until the end of the existing contract (2020 I think) is subtracted from the amount owed to him. For instance, If he is fired on July 1st and IU owes him 4 million, and he takes another job making 1 million per year (and doesn't get fired again before 2020), IU owes him nothing.
Yeah, but doubting Crean would get $1M per year somewhere else. He'd really be a good fit at a D2 school and that probably won't get that kind of money. But who cares? Get him gone - no matter the cost.

this is the dangerous thinking that has IU in its current toilet state. money is a non-event. BT contract is huge and the renewed vigor of the big money alum will resolve it quickly. probably not in the best interest to can him during the season unless this dumpster fire becomes a forest fire. given 12 loss tommy's track record of teams not improving during the season, there is little reason for hope.

Yeah, but doubting Crean would get $1M per year somewhere else. He'd really be a good fit at a D2 school and that probably won't get that kind of money. But who cares? Get him gone - no matter the cost.

1M per year is not that much. The new coach at UAB is getting more than that. I think Crean can still get a job at a school of that caliber.

But I agree that he needs to go ASAP regardless...

Reactions: Lucy01
this is the dangerous thinking that has IU in its current toilet state. money is a non-event. BT contract is huge and the renewed vigor of the big money alum will resolve it quickly. probably not in the best interest to can him during the season unless this dumpster fire becomes a forest fire. given 12 loss tommy's track record of teams not improving during the season, there is little reason for hope.

Actually, I think firing him during the season would be better than waiting till April. IU is going to get bad press whenever they do it because the CBB media basically consists of a bunch of ass-kissing ex coaches and they always defend their own and condemn schools and fan bases for unreasonable expectations and not being patient enough. Fire him now and let the toxic media frenzy blow over and die down before the search begins.

I know it won't happen but just saying...

Actually, I think firing him during the season would be better than waiting till April. IU is going to get bad press whenever they do it because the CBB media basically consists of a bunch of ass-kissing ex coaches and they always defend their own and condemn schools and fan bases for unreasonable expectations and not being patient enough. Fire him now and let the toxic media frenzy blow over and die down before the search begins.

I know it won't happen but just saying...
Firing him now serves no beneficial purpose for the program. None. He'll get to the end and then he'll be done.

Just one question if anyone knows: Why would you build it into the contract if you were Glass so that the buyout drops each year in mid-July? That's basically writing off a year of recruiting and hiring of coaches who become available after a season. Why not have the buyout drop on Jan. 1 or at least March 1?

Just one question if anyone knows: Why would you build it into the contract if you were Glass so that the buyout drops each year in mid-July? That's basically writing off a year of recruiting and hiring of coaches who become available after a season. Why not have the buyout drop on Jan. 1 or at least March 1?
That was something Crean's lawyer obviously insisted on, but it likely also includes a provision that requires a greater buyout from Crean if he were to quit and go elsewhere. Remember that the reason for the extension was to lock him up for the long term, so the July 1 provision serves as a deterrent for both parties.

Firing him now serves no beneficial purpose for the program. None. He'll get to the end and then he'll be done.

Disagree. Firing him now would ensure someone else is sitting on the bench making decisions. Santa Claus would be an improvement.

Like I said, I know it won't happen but I think it has its advantages..

Disagree. Firing him now would ensure someone else is sitting on the bench making decisions. Santa Claus would be an improvement.

Like I said, I know it won't happen but I think it has its advantages..
It's a short term move, though, and the overwhelming odds are that things would get worse, not better. I'm ready for Crean to go, but doing it at the end of the year is when it has the greatest benefit for the program.

That was something Crean's lawyer obviously insisted on, but it likely also includes a provision that requires a greater buyout from Crean if he were to quit and go elsewhere. Remember that the reason for the extension was to lock him up for the long term, so the July 1 provision serves as a deterrent for both parties.
Thanks for the response. I assume Crean's lawyer wanted that date for the buyout, but it seems like an enormous concession to give. It's almost like tying up the university for another year, and delaying a rebuild by a year.

Pretty sure Crean would owe us nothing if he leaves for another job. It's only if we fire him that anyone pays anything. Glass must have got into Jim Irsay's stash right before he agreed to that buyout.

Thanks for the response. I assume Crean's lawyer wanted that date for the buyout, but it seems like an enormous concession to give. It's almost like tying up the university for another year, and delaying a rebuild by a year.
I hear you, but remember IU was worried Crean might leave and they badly wanted stability. Let's say he's successful at IU and someone comes along with a blockbuster offer. Crean is forced to weigh carefully his very significant obligation under the buyout provision before bolting, with only the "dream offer" kind of opportunity likely getting his true consideration. IU lost a women's hoops coach because of this, and there have some high profile deals where coaches owed their soon to be previous employers some big bucks if they left (Rich Rod and WVU went to the mat on his deal, as an example).

On the other hand, Notre Dame was scared that Charlie Weis might bolt (like IU was with Crean), and they locked him into a long term deal. Like IU , NDs fortunes faded, and Weis was gone (as was Kevin White, the AD who did the deal). And CW is still getting paid.

In the end, if he's not your guy, he goes and you eat the deal. It happens and you just take your lumps and move on. Crazy world.

Reactions: MdWIldcat55
Pretty sure Crean would owe us nothing if he leaves for another job. It's only if we fire him that anyone pays anything. Glass must have got into Jim Irsay's stash right before he agreed to that buyout.
If that's so, then it's highly unusual and not something that Glass should put on his resume. Even the women's coach who left for Purdue owed a token amount, I believe. If Glass missed that, he screwed up.

The sooner he is gone, the longer IU has to find the right guy.....that is true. what is also true is that he can't be fired early on....since no one can prove he can't turn it around until he himself proves it. While that won't happen...neither will an early termination.

The sooner he is gone, the longer IU has to find the right guy.....that is true. what is also true is that he can't be fired early on....since no one can prove he can't turn it around until he himself proves it. While that won't happen...neither will an early termination.
You could argue that firing him early gives every school who might employ his replacement months to consider how they want to position themselves to keep their guy. Glass will have a list, and a search firm will help him refine it. No value in starting that process now.

How much is creams buyout? I know it was somethings absurd last year like 10 million
We need to stick with Crean. He is our guy and took us to a #1 ranking. I think he will turn this around but he just needs a few more years. We need to be patient. This is Indiana.

I wouldn't let him go during season and hear me out.

You guys have a talented roster. If Crean was let go there would be a season coached on an interim basis by an assistant. Let's just say the kids rally behind the guy and win and finish top 3 in conference. It is possible and this years big 10 and your schedule makes it so.

Now you get in the tournament with a decent seed. Let's say you get a good draw match-up wise and make an improbable run to say the elite 8. Do you trust your AD to make the right call?

It's Indiana and you should expect to be the bell cow for your conference and compete for titles. It takes recruiting at the highest levels and coaching too. If I was you guys I would be scared to get stuck with the wrong guy.

As I said, you guys have a good roster. There are a lot of bright basketball minds and there may actually be one on your bench if it was their show to run. It's not rare to find basketball minds, it is to find the total package. Hell Indiana high school ranks have guys who could coach your roster to a good season...they just don't have the connections to put this roster together.

Just a thought. I'd ride Creans ineptness out and go for a big splash hire and you'll get it this go around. Things are cyclical and you all are going to have a rebirth soon.

it looks like LSU is willing to poney upr 15 million to get rid of a very good coach so IU should be able to put the money together to buy Crean out.

LSU is not putting up that money. Believe it or not, they are in some bad financial shape academically and the athletic department has a requirement to transfer funds to the university to sustain academics in light of severe budget cuts to fund the university from the state. That money is coming from deep pocket donors, a la a Mark Cuban, to pony up that buyout.

I
I wouldn't let him go during season and hear me out.

You guys have a talented roster. If Crean was let go there would be a season coached on an interim basis by an assistant. Let's just say the kids rally behind the guy and win and finish top 3 in conference. It is possible and this years big 10 and your schedule makes it so.

Now you get in the tournament with a decent seed. Let's say you get a good draw match-up wise and make an improbable run to say the elite 8. Do you trust your AD to make the right call?

It's Indiana and you should expect to be the bell cow for your conference and compete for titles. It takes recruiting at the highest levels and coaching too. If I was you guys I would be scared to get stuck with the wrong guy.

As I said, you guys have a good roster. There are a lot of bright basketball minds and there may actually be one on your bench if it was their show to run. It's not rare to find basketball minds, it is to find the total package. Hell Indiana high school ranks have guys who could coach your roster to a good season...they just don't have the connections to put this roster together.

Just a thought. I'd ride Creans ineptness out and go for a big splash hire and you'll get it this go around. Things are cyclical and you all are going to have a rebirth soon.
I still think CTC is better than a Bell Cow.

LSU is not putting up that money. Believe it or not, they are in some bad financial shape academically and the athletic department has a requirement to transfer funds to the university to sustain academics in light of severe budget cuts to fund the university from the state. That money is coming from deep pocket donors, a la a Mark Cuban, to pony up that buyout.
I realize it is from donors and not the college and I think IU has enough big time donors to get the buy out

Crean would have to make a good faith search for employment, and I believe he'd still be an realistic option for a high major program where basketball isn't king on campus. At that point, his buyout would be offset by his new salary. IU wouldn't be on the hook for the entire amount. But really, these conversations are meaningless right now. No decision will be made until after the season if at all.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT