mohepa

Freshman
Jan 7, 2010
So the draw for IU is....

Rutgers/Minn
Purdue
OSU
MSU

Thursday should be a victory. 3-0 against both including 20+ win last time out.

Friday would be great to get a win, but not easy. Lost by 7 at home, will we be tired Friday, will they be "off" after week off....

Would love one more shot at OSU....

MSU would be a miracle win imo.

So.... How many will IU win?

We'll win the first game, and lose handily to Purdue. I still think they're the best team in the conference...as much as I hate to say it.

And at that point, we'll still have an RPI around 100...so I'd guess the NIT isn't even a lock at that point.

Disclaimer...I think the RPI is a terrible metric...but it seems to hold weight with the decision makers this time of year, for some reason?... And we'll have some REALLY bad losses, and really no signature wins on our resume.

Reactions: cryano

Rutgers/Minn
Purdue
OSU
MSU

Friday would be great to get a win, but not easy. Lost by 7 at home, will we be tired Friday, will they be "off" after week off....

Frequently the long off week can backfire and teams can come out cold and a team that’s played a game might be in rhythm. In conference tournaments, having a bye isn’t really a huge advantage the first game, unless the the other team gets into a real tough dogfight the previous game. A bye is huge for getting deep into the tournament, but early in the tournament, not so much. Along the same lines, IU probably needs to be careful it’s first game.

You really don't think they will make the NIT when it is largely determined by tv draw?
NIT is ran different than it use to so no I don't think we will get in. Remember that ever conference regular season champ who does not win their conference tournament and doesn't get into the NCAA tournament gets a bid to the NIT.

Last year's team made the NIT and it seemingly didn't want to participate.

Unfortunately, I feel more than one win in the BTT is unlikely. I do think IU gets into the NIT and will play at least the 1st round at SS Assembly Hall.

Reactions: kkott
Unfortunately, I feel more than one win in the BTT is unlikely. I do think IU gets into the NIT and will play at least the 1st round at SS Assembly Hall.
They have to be seeded between 1-4 in their region to get a home game. People need to remember that the NIT is not like it was in the past where your brand got you in and got you home games.

NIT is ran different than it use to so no I don't think we will get in. Remember that ever conference regular season champ who does not win their conference tournament and doesn't get into the NCAA tournament gets a bid to the NIT.
Uugghhh

Reactions: SIhoosier26
I think Purdue is very dependant on the 3pt shot. That is a tough thing when playing in an NBA arena nobody has played in.

I am probably very wrong, but I think the title game will be Michigan vs either IU or PSU.

Reactions: Aloha Hoosier

Rutgers/Minn
Purdue
OSU
MSU

I would really like to see them get another shot at PU. They could have won the first game but blew it. Depends which team shows up.

I think Purdue is very dependant on the 3pt shot. That is a tough thing when playing in an NBA arena nobody has played in.

I am probably very wrong, but I think the title game will be Michigan vs either IU or PSU.

Whoa

The bracketology has IU as a 6 seed right now so barring a collapse on Thursday we will make the NIT. I actually think the NIT is a good accomplishment for this team so hopefully IU can make a run.

The bracketology has IU as a 6 seed right now so barring a collapse on Thursday we will make the NIT. I actually think the NIT is a good accomplishment for this team so hopefully IU can make a run.
There is one site that has us in and another that does not have us in the NIT as of right now.

You could be right but I hope you are wrong because I want these younger players to get as many games as possible. It can only help them.

Even if we don't collapse on Thursday, we may not make it. A 6 seed is not safe because the last few years 9 or 10 teams who won their conference regular season but lost in the tourney and didn't get an NCAA bid got an automatic NIT bid. So a 6 seed would put us right on the cut line. Which means we need as many 1 seeds from the low majors as possible to win their tourneys. And history says that's not very likely.

And there are a lot of high majors with better metrics who likely won't sniff the NCAAs, but will certainly be in the NIT. That includes three teams we've beaten--ND, MD and PSU.

This is where the INST, FW, ILL and WIS losses really kill us.

We only win our first game and won't get any post season bid.
With all respect, sir, I think this will be our finest hour.

search

https://www.bing.com/videos/search?...B7BF083DE46EDE765E67B7BF0&FORM=VRRTAP&PC=APPL

Desperate teams have the potential to do amazing things. This is IU's only tournament they are guaranteed to play in. That type of urgency to win can be extremely beneficial. Top teams that know they have the NCAA Tourney to look forward to can overlook a team fighting for their tournament lives. That's why IU will win 3 in Big Ten Tourney, get into the NIT and go on a run. I believe these kids will play their asses off to keep the season going!

Purdue May very well beat IU, but I don’t see them having any shot at winning the whole thing. They are just too thin, they essentially need both V and C Edwards and matthias to play 35+ min a game, and Haas to play about 30 in order for them to beat any team with a pulse. I don’t see them being able to do that 3 times in 3 days.

Reactions: Andy06
Purdue May very well beat IU, but I don’t see them having any shot at winning the whole thing. They are just too thin, they essentially need both V and C Edwards and matthias to play 35+ min a game, and Haas to play about 30 in order for them to beat any team with a pulse. I don’t see them being able to do that 3 times in 3 days.
V Edwards and Mathias lead the team in minutes played at 31/game. C Edwards is at 29, and Haas is only at 23. Haarms at 17 min. I don't see the scenario that you laid out happening, but I do agree that the lack of depth may be an issue if they have to play 3 days in a row.

V Edwards and Mathias lead the team in minutes played at 31/game. C Edwards is at 29, and Haas is only at 23. Haarms at 17 min. I don't see the scenario that you laid out happening, but I do agree that the lack of depth may be an issue if they have to play 3 days in a row.

Look at minutes against semi decent conpetition and the numbers I listed are pretty consistent with that, the season averages are being pulled down by a lot of bad teams where Purdue was able rest those guys

Uh, you may be missing the point.

The starters wouldn't have to play a lot of minutes if the bench was better. Porkchop is playing the starters so many minutes because he doesn't really have a choice. Haarms is capable but not the other benchwarmers (who should work more on their bench mob routines so at least they're good at something).

Look at minutes against semi decent conpetition and the numbers I listed are pretty consistent with that, the season averages are being pulled down by a lot of bad teams where Purdue was able rest those guys
That's a good point. In this type of tourney, the successful teams have to have bench players step up and give quality minutes. MSU has the most depth, so they will be tough if they make it to the Finals. They have to most likely get past Michigan, which will be tough. No other team in the B1G has much depth...at all.

Desperate teams have the potential to do amazing things. This is IU's only tournament they are guaranteed to play in. That type of urgency to win can be extremely beneficial. Top teams that know they have the NCAA Tourney to look forward to can overlook a team fighting for their tournament lives. That's why IU will win 3 in Big Ten Tourney, get into the NIT and go on a run. I believe these kids will play their asses off to keep the season going!
Desperate fans have the potential to overrate how good the teams they root for are. This team cannot shoot, and especially cannot shoot free throws. And now you’re playing in an NBA arena, where the rims are usually tighter. That’s why anyone who thinks this team wins more than one game in the BTT is more than a little delusional. No question their effort is there—they’re just not good enough.

Let's assume we don't win the tournament. We are not a lock for the other post season tournaments but I was wondering if we can still continue practice in the off week until all selections are made.

In the WUG over the Summer, Purdue played three games in three days during the medal round so they have some recent experience competing against high level competition in a short period of time.

For those three games, Carsen Edwards averaged 31.3 minutes, Thompson averaged 27.5, Vincent Edwards averaged 32.6, Dakota Mathis averaged 29.7 and Issac Haas averaged 23.44. Haarms didn't play in this tournament since he wasn't a US citizen.

Also, Purdue played in the Jimmy V Classic at MSG last season where they faced Arizona State. In that one off game, they shot 59.4% from the field and 55.6% from behind the arc. So, they also have some experience playing in that venue.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT