ADVERTISEMENT

Bryce Drew

Dude's in the Dance. While I can see that his resume' leaves much to be desired....at least he has one.
Really, aside from Vandy, he's done well. I like Greg McDermott. I mentioned that here a while back and had a couple people say he failed at ISU so he wouldn't be worth a look.

I guess I believe coaches evolve over time, learn from mistakes and make adjustments. At least those who are successful over the long haul.

Maybe the Vandy gig was just too steep if a hill for even a really good coach.
I’m still ok with Gregg Marshall. Yeah, he’s an asshole and his wife is drunk, but are those necessarily bad things? He’s 61, so we could get 5-6 years out of him.

Reactions: kmathum
I’m still ok with Gregg Marshall. Yeah, he’s an asshole and his wife is drunk, but are those necessarily bad things? He’s 61, so we could get 5-6 years out of him.
I'm in my 60's....please...don't get a coach in his 60's.....I'm an asshole...but my wife isn't a drunk. That's me, too.

Really, aside from Vandy, he's done well. I like Greg McDermott. I mentioned that here a while back and had a couple people say he failed at ISU so he wouldn't be worth a look.

I guess I believe coaches evolve over time, learn from mistakes and make adjustments. At least those who are successful over the long haul.
He got a raw deal at Vanderbilt in my opinion. Had a terrible year 3 after Darius Garland was lost for the season a few games in. Was recruiting extremely well there (Garland, Nesmith, Shittu, Disu all in same class) and didn’t get a chance to coach them.

Read above Brad Brownell's name mentioned and yes he should be in any conversation. Another I like very well is Buzz Williams of Texas A&M. Before that VT, a basketball underachiever until Buzz hit Blacksburg and powered the program up. Former to Tech he took over for Crean at Marquette and kept the program viable. His forte is D. He understands resetting and rebuilding and his resume calls out those facts. 1 thing, he's a Texas native and may be hard to buy into relocating with success he is achieving in the Lone Star. The JMU HC is also interesting because of their scrappy and tenacious competitiveness.

Reactions: steelyvan
He did not get a raw deal at Vandy. He put himself into the position to get dismissed.
Landed well tho.
He didn’t get anywhere near the leash as Stackhouse who didn’t make the tournament in 5 years. Nobody wins overnight at Vanderbilt. Bryce Drew was recruiting extremely well and had a young team who lost a top 5 recruit 2 games into the season the year he got fired. Should have gotten a 4th and I’m guessing things are different. Drew left Stackhouse with several future NBA players and he did nothing with them.

Well said. Anyone who is upset with their athletic department need look no further than Vanderbilt to feel better. Aside from baseball which is outstanding that administration of Vanderbilt has demonstrated a penchant for thinking they know a better way to do things. When a school decides to abolish the position of AD and out a university administrator in charge they are flirting with the late P.K. Wrigley, the fan friendly owner of my once beloved Cubs.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT