ADVERTISEMENT

Brady Feeney hit hard by COVID

///Prayers for his Total recovery.///

This is exactly the concern that I've been trying to get through to the "it's just another virus" crowd for the past 5 months.

Putting anyone together in large groups ((yes even young people)) puts Everyone at Risk ((including the young people))...

College campuses are hot spots for any type of virus ((always have been, why do you think they require documentation as to specific vaccinations before kids are allowed on campus, [same thing with K-12 schools]))...

Pretending as though you can count on 125 plus players complying with all the health restrictions over the next 5 months just because they signed a Pledge is a fantasy (I give you 25 people on a party boat as exhibit A)...

Not simply waiting another 5-6 months to give us enough time to at least give people the choice of vaccination is, in my opinion, is just nuts...

Also in my opinion..., this concept that kids can't be taught online is complete BS...

A good teacher should be able to make their presentation interesting enough to lead their class to where they want to take them..., live in the classroom or in front of a camera...

If a kid is determined to tune them out they'll find a way to do so in a live and in person scenario too...

In my opinion, the kids who are serious about learning will actually have fewer distractions by not having to deal with clowns who don't want be in class anyway.

Some hands on labs may be necessary in the sciences but those could be deferred for a semester in an emergency such as this and have the kids just focus on those classes that don't require labs...

Once again, Prayers for Brady.

COVID19 is scary horrible stuff and should be taken seriously by everyone, not just those directly affected by it...

Last edited:
Praying for this kid, and hoping people heed his mom's message. Maybe it'll be an epiphany for those who keep minimizing this insidious disease, including some who post regularly on this board.

IMO, the unique thing about this virus is the range of how people react to it. Is there any other disease that has asymptomatic to heart issues to death?

Hoping for a complete recovery for Brady.

///Prayers for his Total recovery.///

This is exactly the concern that I've been trying to get through to the "it's just another virus" crowd for the past 5 months.

Putting anyone together in large groups ((yes even young people)) puts Everyone at Risk ((including the young people))...

College campuses are hot spots for any type of virus ((always have been, why do you think they require documentation as to specific vaccinations before kids are allowed on campus, [same thing with K-12 schools]))...

Pretending as though you can count on 125 plus players complying with all the health restrictions over the next 5 months just because they signed a Pledge is a fantasy (I give you 25 people on a party boat as exhibit A)...

Not simply waiting another 5-6 months to give us enough time to at least give people the choice of vaccination is, in my opinion, is just nuts...

Also in my opinion..., this concept that kids can't be taught online is complete BS...

A good teacher should be able to make their presentation interesting enough to lead their class to where they want to take them..., live in the classroom or in front of a camera...

If a kid is determined to tune them out they'll find a way to do so in a live and in person scenario too...

In my opinion, the kids who are serious about learning will actually have fewer distractions by not having to deal with clowns who don't want be in class anyway.

Some hands on labs may be necessary in the sciences but those could be deferred for a semester in an emergency such as this and have the kids just focus on those classes that don't require labs...

Once again, Prayers for Brady.

COVID19 is scary horrible stuff and should be taken seriously by everyone, not just those directly affected by it...

I have a 6th grader to be. Her teachers flat out vanished in March. And we are in one of the best school systems in Indiana. Of course they “can” receive a good education. But will they? Some will. Many won’t. We’ll see. I have next to no confidence in virtual learning.

IMO, the unique thing about this virus is the range of how people react to it. Is there any other disease that has asymptomatic to heart issues to death?

I agree, and this is one of the reasons it's so dangerous. If everyone who got it felt sick and miserable, people would take it more seriously and probably be more careful about their interactions with others. But with this illness, Infected Person A feels fine, isn't careful and then transmits it to Person B who gets seriously ill and/or dies. Scary and, yeah, pretty unique.

Reactions: red hornet and 76-1
I have a 6th grader to be. Her teachers flat out vanished in March. And we are in one of the best school systems in Indiana. Of course they “can” receive a good education. But will they? Some will. Many won’t. We’ll see. I have next to no confidence in virtual learning.
What do you mean they vanished? The district didn’t have online learning for the rest of the school year?

What do you mean they vanished? The district didn’t have online learning for the rest of the school year?

Yes. They had busy work emailed to them. The work they were given were old concepts. No new learning. They had no interaction. They didn’t answer emails. They stopped teaching.

And I’d bet that the teachers tell folks what a great job they did.

Reactions: DANC
Yes. They had busy work emailed to them. The work they were given were old concepts. No new learning. They had no interaction. They didn’t answer emails. They stopped teaching.

And I’d bet that the teachers tell folks what a great job they did.
I sure wouldn’t consider that one of the best school systems in Indiana then. I don’t know any district that did that around the Indianapolis area. Even IPS had online learning, although often didn’t have many children online.

Reactions: IU73
I sure wouldn’t consider that one of the best school systems in Indiana then. I don’t know any district that did that around the Indianapolis area. Even IPS had online learning, although often didn’t have many children online.

Every school had online learning. I’m just suggesting that the positive spin they’re putting on it is fantasy.

I’m sure Hamilton Southeastern Schools didn’t draw it up the way that it happened. But that’s the way it was executed.

There are a lot of diseases that have asymptomatic carriers, but this range of severity among symptomatics is unusual. There is a reason for this, we just have to figure out what it is. A lot of suspicion out there that blood type &/or certain vitamin deficiencies play a part, but those things haven't been conclusively confirmed.

Every school had online learning. I’m just suggesting that the positive spin they’re putting on it is fantasy.

I’m sure Hamilton Southeastern Schools didn’t draw it up the way that it happened. But that’s the way it was executed.
But weren’t the teachers doing the online learning or was it a canned program?

It's not easy for the teachers or the students to do the on line learning. My daughter teaches kindergarten , and at that age the kids really need a lot more in person on hands learning . At that age you can't just give them an assignment , as many are just learning the process of reading. The teachers are really limited in how they can get the instruction to their students. I know my daughter and her fellow teachers spent hours and hours trying to develop lessons for their students. Without the teacher there to over see them it's then up to the parents to see that the work gets done. Some do , some try , some don't have the time , and some don't care. Without the teacher there pushing the students to do the work , it often doesn't get done , the teacher is limited as to what they can do. You can't retain them all ,as many did the best they could under the circumstances. The older students with more skills can better handle the online learning ,as they can read and better understand the instructions. Some still struggle , because without the teacher there they just don't put much effort into the work or some just don't do it at all. I was talking to a teacher who said at their school they had several students fail classes because they never submitted their work. These were High School students , and now they will have to retake the class this coming school year. E-learning is good in small doses where you have it followed up with in class instruction. By its self the students miss out on a lot.

Teacher driven. But there was no actual instruction. Which is my issue.
Having had to navigate e-learning for a K & 2nd grader in the Spring (and firing up for a 1st & 3rd grader in a couple weeks), I can attest to the fact that it SUUCCCCKKKKEEEEDDD.

But I'm not sure exactly what you want the teachers to do? The spring was a cluster, in my estimation, because of how suddenly everything happened and not having any time to prepare for it. I'm cautiously optimistic that the fall will go better and will be more virtual instruction as opposed to videos & workbooks.

Having had to navigate e-learning for a K & 2nd grader in the Spring (and firing up for a 1st & 3rd grader in a couple weeks), I can attest to the fact that it SUUCCCCKKKKEEEEDDD.

But I'm not sure exactly what you want the teachers to do? The spring was a cluster, in my estimation, because of how suddenly everything happened and not having any time to prepare for it. I'm cautiously optimistic that the fall will go better and will be more virtual instruction as opposed to videos & workbooks.

I actually agree with you. It was nearly impossible situation in March. But we did not expect much. We just wanted them to show up. And we didn’t get that.

Last edited:
It's not easy for the teachers or the students to do the on line learning. My daughter teaches kindergarten , and at that age the kids really need a lot more in person on hands learning . At that age you can't just give them an assignment , as many are just learning the process of reading. The teachers are really limited in how they can get the instruction to their students. I know my daughter and her fellow teachers spent hours and hours trying to develop lessons for their students. Without the teacher there to over see them it's then up to the parents to see that the work gets done. Some do , some try , some don't have the time , and some don't care. Without the teacher there pushing the students to do the work , it often doesn't get done , the teacher is limited as to what they can do. You can't retain them all ,as many did the best they could under the circumstances. The older students with more skills can better handle the online learning ,as they can read and better understand the instructions. Some still struggle , because without the teacher there they just don't put much effort into the work or some just don't do it at all. I was talking to a teacher who said at their school they had several students fail classes because they never submitted their work. These were High School students , and now they will have to retake the class this coming school year. E-learning is good in small doses where you have it followed up with in class instruction. By its self the students miss out on a lot.

My wife is a second grade teacher and had 29 kids in her class last year. It was a struggle teaching online. For one, it was a rural area and not everyone had wifi (or good enough wifi) for what was required. Plus, kids that age don't learn like that. She's ready to get back in the classroom.

Reactions: DANC and red hornet
I am a single father of a 3rd and 4th grader while working very long hours due to COVID turning our industry upside down so while I was juggling all of that the teachers were changing meeting times/dates for meetings with the kids (on short notice) while also changing the method of delivery.

It was almost a full-time job trying to keep up with them and their changes. Their lack of awareness of what parents were dealing with was amazing to me.

I hope there are some lessons learned from that experience or we are in big trouble.

They were getting better as the school year was winding down but were still switching dates/times for sessions with the kids.

We shall see...

I am a single father of a 3rd and 4th grader while working very long hours due to COVID turning our industry upside down so while I was juggling all of that the teachers were changing meeting times/dates for meetings with the kids (on short notice) while also changing the method of delivery.

It was almost a full-time job trying to keep up with them and their changes. Their lack of awareness of what parents were dealing with was amazing to me.

I hope there are some lessons learned from that experience or we are in big trouble.

They were getting better as the school year was winding down but were still switching dates/times for sessions with the kids.

We shall see...
I too am a single dad. My kids are older. I tip my hat to you. Good luck.
Difficult to manage all that stuff. Harder to do it well, which I bet you do based on your post.
Respectfully,

I actually agree with you. It was nearly impossible situation in March. But we did not expect much. We just wanted them to show up. And we didn’t get that.

I think you just had a shitty teacher. Most are amazing and working hard to create curriculum that works with our new reality.

What happened in the spring was thrust upon then with no preparation. So you 5th grader got "busy work" of things already taught. Under the circumstances, big deal. Teachers would not reply to emails? Talk to their department heads, principal, everyone at the admin offices if you can't get responses. But what happened in the spring at most districts will not be what will happen now after the entire summer to plan. And if you are so geared into pushing your child into a building for in person learning, I would suggest that you try to get your teacher license and become a teacher to make change, and to put your life at risk daily. My 2 cents.

What happened in the spring was thrust upon then with no preparation. So you 5th grader got "busy work" of things already taught. Under the circumstances, big deal. Teachers would not reply to emails? Talk to their department heads, principal, everyone at the admin offices if you can't get responses. But what happened in the spring at most districts will not be what will happen now after the entire summer to plan. And if you are so geared into pushing your child into a building for in person learning, I would suggest that you try to get your teacher license and become a teacher to make change, and to put your life at risk daily. My 2 cents.

This type of response is why we can't have reasonable conversations anymore in this country. I'm not pushing my kid into anything. I'm simply skeptical of ELearning. I'm allowed to be, by the way. And I'm just relaying our story. If you don't like it there isn't anything I can do about that.

As Tom said, we shall see.....

He's back with the team, but unable to do any team activities. Waiting for a cardiologist to be clear him. Also had abnormalities in his post
COVID blood work according to the BL paper this morning.

To state there are no long term effects from COVID-19 for anyone of any age is premature at this point.

Virtual learning continues the "dumbing down" of the middle and lower class. It's not a path I wish to see be the norm for children.

This type of response is why we can't have reasonable conversations anymore in this country. I'm not pushing my kid into anything. I'm simply skeptical of ELearning. I'm allowed to be, by the way. And I'm just relaying our story. If you don't like it there isn't anything I can do about that.

As Tom said, we shall see.....
Yes, you are allowed to be skeptical and not like it. I'm just saying, there really shouldn't be much of a choice right now. It's literally a life and death situation, especially for teachers. In the grand scheme of things, a year or so of virtual is not as bad as the possibility of dying. I have a daughter in HS, and we have the option of all virtual and she will be doing that. Yes, just about all kids will be fine and most teachers will be fine. But there WILL be stories, as early as Sept/Oct, of teachers getting it and dying. It will happen. Not worth the risk to me, just because virtual learning isn't ideal.

You don't sound very cheerful he's back.
No I want him to be sick. How ridiculous. He may be “with the team” but considering his mom wrote today that he’s having heart issues, I’m not sure what that exactly means. Obviously that he’s Covid free, so that’s great news. But if he had to deal with permanent heart damage, not so great.

As a teacher, I agree online learning sucks. But I’m still not sure what you’re saying that they didn’t show up. Didn’t your child’s actual teacher lead the online learning? Sorry I’m not getting it.,

As a teacher, I agree online learning sucks. But I’m still not sure what you’re saying that they didn’t show up. Didn’t your child’s actual teacher lead the online learning? Sorry I’m not getting it.,

There was limited instruction after the first few weeks. Things dissolved into 1 hour per week Zoom calls which were mostly social. They just flat out stopped teaching. I don't know any other way to say it.

Reactions: brebelle3 and DANC
Yes, you are allowed to be skeptical and not like it. I'm just saying, there really shouldn't be much of a choice right now. It's literally a life and death situation, especially for teachers. In the grand scheme of things, a year or so of virtual is not as bad as the possibility of dying. I have a daughter in HS, and we have the option of all virtual and she will be doing that. Yes, just about all kids will be fine and most teachers will be fine. But there WILL be stories, as early as Sept/Oct, of teachers getting it and dying. It will happen. Not worth the risk to me, just because virtual learning isn't ideal.

You're making the best decision for your family. As are we. I'm honestly more concerned about the mental health of my daughter than anything.

If the risks are as bad as you say (and I'm not arguing that they aren't) then why not just put a pin in school all together instead of continuing with the charade that there is any real learning going on....particularly for the younger kids.

No I want him to be sick. How ridiculous. He may be “with the team” but considering his mom wrote today that he’s having heart issues, I’m not sure what that exactly means. Obviously that he’s Covid free, so that’s great news. But if he had to deal with permanent heart damage, not so great.
I'm sorry you don't have confidence in the IU medical team that has cleard him to return to the team.

Do you think they will approve him playing if there was heart damage, or any danger of it?

I'm sorry you don't have confidence in the IU medical team that has cleard him to return to the team.

Do you think they will approve him playing if there was heart damage, or any danger of it?

Just pointing out that we have no idea whether he is cleared to play.

All we know is he was cleared to be back with the team. I think we can all agree we want a full recovery for Brady.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT