ADVERTISEMENT

Bowl Game at Wrigley Field?

Don't give him any ideas! Was he the one who did that D.C. deal?? I'd nearly forgotten about that...

Back to the topic: If a Bowl is to be added I think we have the perfect venue for one at Lucas Oil Stadium here in Indianapolis.

If Indy can pull off a Super Bowl in the middle of the winter, we could certainly put on a decent Bowl Game (IMO).

have to wonder how much Irsay would be an obstacle.

might not ok unless all the money goes to him.

Since the Colts do not own the Luke why would
Irsay be an obstacle?

not an expert on the subject, (though i'm guessing Glass is), but i believe Irsay has his financial tentacles embedded in that place more than one might think.

not an expert on the subject, (though i'm guessing Glass is), but i believe Irsay has his financial tentacles embedded in that place more than one might think.
There are tons of things going on at Lucas. Irsay has nothing to do with what is held there beyond what is required for the Colts.

Not true, because Irsay gets a cut of everything that happens at Lucas Oil stadium even gets a cut from parking.
So Irsay gets a cut from the monster truck shows?

I will stand corrected, but I want to see some evidence.

http://advanceindiana.blogspot.com/2011/06/irsay-to-make-10-15-million-from-big.html?m=1

Here is an old blog post by the late Gary Welsh that quotes an IBJ article at the time the B10 championship game was created. Make sure to read through all the updates for major corrections on the original piece. Colts take 50% of revenues up to a predetermined cap.

It's worth noting that the stadium and the city of Indpls have declined to bid on the CFP Championship game, and through the years since the Hoosier Dome opened 33 years ago, have never moved to host a bowl game with the indoor stadiums.

What a bowl game in Indpls, or at Wrigley will have to do is provide a rich payout that will be more attractive financially than the payouts the league gets in the southern bowl games. And what fan base will want to spend entertainment dollars on going to a cold weather city in December during a holiday break? While Chicago is a tourist destination, Indianapolis isn't as attractive.

Tickets, naming rights and TV rights are the three legged stool of making a bowl game viable. Some are richly subsidized by local cities, and the charitable efforts of the non-profit committees that oversee them are often dubious.

If the pecking order is currently Pasadena, Orlando, Tampa, Jacksonville/Nashville, Yankee Stadium, San Diego, Santa Clara, Detroit..., where would a Wrigley/Indpls bowl game go in that list to be attractive for a family of four from rural Iowa in late December?

Reactions: UncleMark
d, appreciate the info.

My only response would be that many of the fan bases out there are absolutely rabid and would drive to Churchill, Canada to say they were at their respective teams bowl game. Unlike most IU fans, they consider the football game itself the highlight of the entertainment.

Not trying to be a smart---, or even disagree in a major way, just pointing out that there are fan bases out there (actually the bulk of them) that really care about their team and the game they are playing in.

All that said, the key to getting those types of fan bases on site would depend on which conferences the bowl is linked to.

An SEC & Big10 matchup would work well, whereas several others probably wouldn't.

Based on the show Indianapolis put on hosting The Super Bowl & the NCAA BB Tourney I have little doubt that those who attended a bowl game in Indy would leave feeling slighted entertainment-wise.

Here is an old blog post by the late Gary Welsh that quotes an IBJ article at the time the B10 championship game was created. Make sure to read through all the updates for major corrections on the original piece. Colts take 50% of revenues up to a predetermined cap.

And that cap is and was met already on a yearly basis long ago. From 2011:

"It’s true that the team does get about half of the stadium’s non-Colts revenue. But what I failed to mention is the Colts’ take is capped at $3.5 million annually. And according to Colts and city officials, the team already receives its maximum share from other non-Colts events. So, in actuality, if the current number of events keeps rolling into the stadium along with the Big Ten Championship, the Colts won’t receive a dime from the Big Ten Football Championships."

So yes, the Colts do get a cut of non-Colts LOS revenue, but won't get anything more from new/future events. Indy could host a bowl game there and Irsay wouldn't be involved.

Reactions: IUPaterade724
there's a link to the actual contract itself in the comments section of the article, but when i clicked on it, the page had been removed.

when these type deals are done, i'm guessing what's in the fine print is often not revealed to the public, as what is revealed to the press probably makes the state parties look to come out better than they actually do. (as was the case with the toll rd lease iirc).

i remember the debate over the whole thing in the press, prior to the whole deal being done.

what was shocking, was just how much intentional blatantly false information was spewed by the Indy press, print and media, to favor a deal getting done no matter what the cost. (guessing the press figured their financial benefit from the Colts staying, trumped any 4th estate obligations).

the press itself was an open public lobbyist for a deal, and played fast and loose with the truth while the debate was going on. (gross understatement).

maybe we can get the Ruskies or Wikileaks to publish the actual lease agreement document.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT