ADVERTISEMENT

Boogie Fland - Here comes a big one!

Could be an absolute log jam at UK , at his position. I'm sure he's aware of this. Plus Woodsons offense, the success of JHS, and the strong influence of Melo. Would not be one but surprised if Boogie announced IU
"When I coached Jason Kidd..." is a phrase that I'm sure has been uttered when they're showing him how they'd use him.

I just have a hard time accepting anyone would prefer to play at under achieving Kentucky with Cal over a resurgent IU with CMW.
If the NIL is reasonably close together…….
Look at the top 25 players in the NBA, and then look at how many of those played under Calipari at UK. I don’t think any kid focused on the NBA would agree with you that they’re underachieving.

You could be right? But you still go after all 3 of them, and rejoice if they choose IU. Figure out how to build with them and around them.

Woody needs to get us back to competing at the top of the conference. Our tourney runs will take care of themselves. Landing these 3 fellas continues to move us in the right direction in the B10, and nationally.

That would potentially be a lineup of:

Cupps, Fland, Galloway, Newton, in the backcourt
McNeeley, Banks, Gunn on the wing
Reneau, Sparks, Queen in the post

I would say the three frosh would all be main rotational guys. Maybe starters, maybe not. But that would be a damn good basketball team.
I feel Reneau will jump out this year and bring 13.7/6.7 rpg and some three's but just under a comfortable % on those three's. I can see him getting a TJd nba look after his junior year. 16/7.5 and improved 3 pt shooting and ft%.

I feel Reneau will jump out this year and bring 13.7/6.7 rpg and some three's but just under a comfortable % on those three's. I can see him getting a TJd nba look after his junior year. 16/7.5 and improved 3 pt shooting and ft%.
In most years, TJD would have won player of the year, and he got picked in the late second round. If Reneau wants to have a legit NBA career, he really needs to show enough to go this year, IMO.

Reactions: GeorgeStrait IU
Look at the top 25 players in the NBA, and then look at how many of those played under Calipari at UK. I don’t think any kid focused on the NBA would agree with you that they’re underachieving.
The kids that made the NBA aren’t underachieving. UK has been underachieving with all that talent. The Cal factor. Those same kids would be in the NBA under other coaches.
And Bloomington > Lexington

The kids that made the NBA aren’t underachieving. UK has been underachieving with all that talent. The Cal factor. Those same kids would be in the NBA under other coaches.
That’s the thing that perplexes me about modern recruiting, how some coaches have convinced elite talent that only they can unlock the player’s potential when elite talent will show itself under any competent coach.

Reactions: GeorgeStrait IU
Think I heard Cassidy mention a sheet/spreadsheet that Cal uses showing all his UK players and their career earnings and how powerful and impressive that is. Woodson could do something similar with all the players he's coached, but obviously the majority would have already been pros.

yeah that was point in another post..Cal is making kids rich but not consistently winning big. Kids getting rich...natives getting restless.

• Haha
Reactions: UKortho
That’s the thing that perplexes me about modern recruiting, how some coaches have convinced elite talent that only they can unlock the player’s potential when elite talent will show itself under any competent coach.
I coached a local travel 11u baseball team many years ago. Kinda got pulled into coaching it out of team necessity. Very mediocre team. I coached my ass off...but some boys just weren't future stars. Then snagged all the kids /parent-friends from our old little league all star team that I had coached 2 yrs back, formed our own independent team, and next yr 12u season we kicked ass, top 20 in the state, a team that no one had even heard of before. I didn't change....the talent on the field did, but it sure made me 'look' better as a coach.

• Haha
Reactions: UKortho and kkott
And then look at how many of those kids only went to college because they couldn’t jump straight to the NBA from HS. For example, I’m not giving Cal credit for making Anthony Davis into an NBA all-star. Davis only went to college because he basically had to.

I said it a couple weeks ago, and I feel more strongly about it today...Kentucky is willing and able to "do more" to get kids. And they have very deep rooted east coast connections.
I haven't heard anything of World Wide Wes lately. Is he still funneling players to Cal / Kentucky, or has that relationship cooled?

I haven't heard anything of World Wide Wes lately. Is he still funneling players to Cal / Kentucky, or has that relationship cooled?
I think that cooled a little when Wes started getting a check from the Knicks organization at the same time Woody was.

And then look at how many of those kids only went to college because they couldn’t jump straight to the NBA from HS. For example, I’m not giving Cal credit for making Anthony Davis into an NBA all-star. Davis only went to college because he basically had to.
And he went to UK for that duffel bag of $250k

• Haha
Reactions: UKortho
I coached a local travel 11u baseball team many years ago. Kinda got pulled into coaching it out of team necessity. Very mediocre team. I coached my ass off...but some boys just weren't future stars. Then snagged all the kids /parent-friends from our old little league all star team that I had coached 2 yrs back, formed our own independent team, and next yr 12u season we kicked ass, top 20 in the state, a team that no one had even heard of before. I didn't change....the talent on the field did, but it sure made me 'look' better as a coach.
Stop it. You were amazing!

As much as it stinks when you slog through a season and don't accomplish what you know the kids were capable of, is having a team that is really good, plays hard and enjoys it. I've coached about 6 rec league teams and had a few of the former, but 1 of the latter and it was a blast. My son (24) and I still reminisce about how fun that season was. Equally gratifying: when you see kids improve and grow. That same team, the league rule was everyone had to sit for a quarter. I noticed that teams always started tight and after the first quarter the score was often like 4-0, and then they'd get going and score 10-12 per quarter. Our team was really solid, so I sat our best player the first quarter because even if we were down, it would only be a point or 2 and the other team would almost always start their best player and so we'd have a quarter where our top player played while there's was sitting and he'd usually feast. Anyway, at half of the championship game I called the other front court guys together and told them to be ready because the other team would try and double team or get fouls on our best player and we'd probably need them. Not 30 seconds in to the second half, he went down with a sprained ankle and was out for the game. The other team was licking their lips, but our kids stepped up, including my son and one kid who'd really joked his way through the year because he wasn't very coordinated, so he liked to make jokes rather than try and fail. But that game he played like a stud and we eaked it out by 3. If you coach for long, you deserve to have both seasons!

He’s not flying private on IU’s dime or anybody associated with IU. They aren’t going to jeopardize his eligibility before he even signs his letter of intent.

We have way too many free-thinkers on here who need to stop thinking altogether.
Especially when they think Tamar Bates is a lottery pick LOL

Unfortunately here is the point... it doesn't matter if you are giving credit, the recruits and their parents apparently are.

I am thinking, you aren't.

The above ascribed scenario with Cook lending his private jet to a high school commit is a massive NCAA infraction regardless of the current NIL climate. It's an impermissible benefit.

are you talking jeopardizing his HS eligibility or his college eligibility.

i have no idea what NY HS rules are, but first rule of NIL is, there are no rules.

just post a pic on social media of him in the cabin wearing a shirt that says "Fly Net Jets", and i'll assume it's all good.

how would that be any different than all the other totally bogus deals labeled as NIL?

High school NIL is tricky. Thats the difference. Matter of fact the NCAA is not onboard with this. You can’t just send a boosters plane without getting the ncaa all over it. It’s easier just to use a rented one.

translation of said rules,

you have to launder the money through a 3rd party first, at which point it then instantly becomes legal.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT