ADVERTISEMENT

Boogie Fland - Here comes a big one!

Oct 16, 2023
Step son played basketball over the summer with BF. I, die hard Hoosier (graduated '82), reached out to step-son to see if he had any news on BF's upcoming commitment. Son says he's leaning IU, but UK isn't out of play, yet. I've heard chatter Calapiari going to visit this week as a final push. Hoping HCMW does the same, but brings the heat. I think LM's commitment yesterday really sold BF (and hopefully DQ) on the dynasty that Woodson has built. Asked stepson to wear Indiana shirts all this week to seal the deal. Bring out the closer, HCMW!

Step son played basketball over the summer with BF. I, die hard Hoosier (graduated '82), reached out to step-son to see if he had any news on BF's upcoming commitment. Son says he's leaning IU, but UK isn't out of play, yet. I've heard chatter Calapiari going to visit this week as a final push. Hoping HCMW does the same, but brings the heat. I think LM's commitment yesterday really sold BF (and hopefully DQ) on the dynasty that Woodson has built. Asked stepson to wear Indiana shirts all this week to seal the deal. Bring out the closer, HCMW!
Boogie has said no more contact, i.e calls or visits. So that part with Cal is, well, interesting.

Boogie has said no more contact, i.e calls or visits. So that part with Cal is, well, interesting.
I saw that in a post here, but did you actually see that (no more contact?) from BF? Gotta say, it would be a d*ck move to announce anywhere else but IU on the same day as HH. Regardless if you don't pick a coach/program, why do that, when you could just pick a different day to commit? Alternately, it would be the ultimate hero move to commit on the same day as HH, let alone if he were to show up, which was also stated on here that he was trying to do. That would be Hero Supreme!

Anyway, that's what I'll console myself with until Friday. Anyone see a time for the announcement?

I saw that in a post here, but did you actually see that (no more contact?) from BF? Gotta say, it would be a d*ck move to announce anywhere else but IU on the same day as HH. Regardless if you don't pick a coach/program, why do that, when you could just pick a different day to commit? Alternately, it would be the ultimate hero move to commit on the same day as HH, let alone if he were to show up, which was also stated on here that he was trying to do. That would be Hero Supreme!

Anyway, that's what I'll console myself with until Friday. Anyone see a time for the announcement?
Isn't Big Blue Madness on the same night? I don't like going head to head with Calimari for an east coast kid like this.

2pm

Reactions: kkott

Woody and IU should have a PJ ready for him and fam to Btown right after. The amount of pub and press that would get would be ginormous. We legit would be looked at as the premiere destination for recruits.

Woody can be King if he gets Boogie and his Queen.

UK insiders feel confident. IU insiders feel confident. This isn’t as done a deal as we think. Something going on. Might be back channel stuff trying to throw us off. Would be a dick move to announce on the day of HH if it isn’t IU.

Isn't Big Blue Madness on the same night? I don't like going head to head with Calimari for an east coast kid like this.
That's what I thought (they'd all kick off on the same date), but I thought I'd seen somewhere that BBM@ UK was actually last weekend, and of course it is UK, so... I just checked and verified, according to the interwebz, it was Oct 13, somehow!

I think that does bode well for us. As I alluded, even if you don't pick a coach/program, it would be rubbing salt in the wound to announce on the same day as their MM event (Bama doesn't appear to have one, btw!)

Cook could. I actually bet it is legal for him to sign an NIL deal now, and have it paid for that way.
Probably depends on the state he's in (NJ or NY?) and their HS NIL rules, right? Isn't it still illegal in many states? But maybe there's also an NCAA rule against private jets for official visits (wouldn't this still be termed that?). If it is allowed, I can't believe no ones done that, but I sure don't recall it, but I'm not a recruitnik either. Anyone?

A prominent IU booster lending his private jet to a high school recruit who verballed hours earlier would be a massive no no.

Think please.
Do you know what year it is geezer? I am thinking. Lots of things that were massive no nos are being done now. What do you think an IU made video of Liam showing Boogie and Queen in IU jerseys telling them to commit would have got us 10 years ago? Think geezer think!!!

Reactions: Middawg
Do you know what year it is geezer? I am thinking. Lots of things that were massive no nos are being done now. What do you think an IU made video of Liam showing Boogie and Queen in IU jerseys telling them to commit would have got us 10 years ago? Think geezer think!!!
Private jet from a donor to a high school senior is a big infraction.

Private jet from a donor to a high school senior is a big infraction.
oh ya? Id say NCAA you wanna lose again in court? Sign the NIL deal. legal as hell.

I am thinking, you aren't.

The above ascribed scenario with Cook lending his private jet to a high school commit is a massive NCAA infraction regardless of the current NIL climate. It's an impermissible benefit.

Talk to some people actually practicing law. Not your retired buddies in the nursing home. It is 2023 geezer. https://www.natlawreview.com/articl...keness-law-expands-definition-student-athlete

Sign the NIL deal
This is the new NCAA battle. They can’t enforce their petty laws in those states. I’ve been studying up on this(fascinates me). This is why the NCAA is using funds to lobby congress. They want federal oversight because they know if they sanction a Texas or NY school they will lose..again. All cook has to do is have business in NY. I’m sure they do.

Reactions: Cavanagh
A prominent IU booster lending his private jet to a high school recruit who verballed hours earlier would be a massive no no.

Think please.
it could be a moot question surrounding a private jet anyway. If he's announcing at 2pm, I bet you could catch a commercial direct flight NYC to Indy/Lville/Cincy, rent a car and still make it to Hoosier Hysteria. He doesn't need to be there when it starts, just before it ends. Heck, if you really want to wow him and the students, have Gucci Mane give him a shout out. Think there are any infractions in that? I still think there might be, just because I don't recall any commit ever doing it, and I think someone would have if it were allowed. If not, let's think outside the box!

I think all the walking back with Boogie this morning is his camp is squeezing the NIL lemon. Don’t blame him. Since Jasper Johnson isn’t reclassifying boogies camp is using that to get more $$$.

it could be a moot question surrounding a private jet anyway. If he's announcing at 2pm, I bet you could catch a commercial direct flight NYC to Indy/Lville/Cincy, rent a car and still make it to Hoosier Hysteria. He doesn't need to be there when it starts, just before it ends. Heck, if you really want to wow him and the students, have Gucci Mane give him a shout out. Think there are any infractions in that? I still think there might be, just because I don't recall any commit ever doing it, and I think someone would have if it were allowed. If not, let's think outside the box!
Nahhh he will fly private. I’d bet money on if he is committing to IU he’s already got a plane ready. If I’m a kid that’s how I’m doing this. Let the bright lights and attention start Friday.

I know I sound like a Negative Nancy...but all I care about is the 2PM announcement. And I don't feel comfortable, at all, that UK won't make this decision for him.

He’s not flying private on IU’s dime or anybody associated with IU. They aren’t going to jeopardize his eligibility before he even signs his letter of intent.

We have way too many free-thinkers on here who need to stop thinking altogether.

I know I sound like a Negative Nancy...but all I care about is the 2PM announcement. And I don't feel comfortable, at all, that UK won't make this decision for him.
It's all that matters, him being at HH to me is just window dressing, but I think the "that's so cool" moment associated with IU would play well with future recruits! I mean, him committing at 2pm, and then surprisingly showing up at HH once Gucci Mane has started and GM saying "who wants a little Boogie tonight?" as the spotlight hits him in the crowd would be SM/recruiting gold I would think!

Remember, KU has already capitalized off their MM event when Snoop showed up and shot $$ into the crowd. This is certainly not in that realm of sliminess.

He’s not flying private on IU’s dime or anybody associated with IU. They aren’t going to jeopardize his eligibility before he even signs his letter of intent.

We have way too many free-thinkers on here who need to stop thinking.
Yeah sure. You probably still think IU(boosters)never paid for a player. I doubt cook themselves would do it but make no mistake if an IU connection wanted a player they could and would make things happen. Legally. Especially in NY.

This is the new NCAA battle. They can’t enforce their petty laws in those states. I’ve been studying up on this(fascinates me). This is why the NCAA is using funds to lobby congress. They want federal oversight because they know if they sanction a Texas or NY school they will lose..again. All cook has to do is have business in NY. I’m sure they do.
Lending a private jet under the guise of NIL isn’t NIL no matter how much you want to think it is.

Reactions: Bucket Getter

We have way too many free-thinkers on here who need to stop thinking altogether.
Right! Who wants discussion on a discussion board. I'm just asking the question, because I don't know and am curious. And, I'm not even on your lawn!

Yeah sure. You probably still think IU(boosters)never paid for a player. I doubt cook themselves would do it but make no mistake if an IU connection wanted a player they could and would make things happen. Legally. Especially in NY.
Fland is more than within his right to profit off his name, image, and likeness as a high school student in NY. An IU booster lending his private jet has nothing to do with NIL. This isn’t hard. Just because the NCAA has been told they can’t regulate students profiting off their name, image, and likeness, doesn’t mean booster and university associates can run around and throw money and gifts however they see fit.

Reactions: Bucket Getter
Fland is more than within his right to profit off his name, image, and likeness as a high school student in NY. An IU booster lending his private jet has nothing to do with NIL. This isn’t hard. Just because the NCAA has been told they can’t regulate students profiting off their name, image, and likeness, doesn’t mean booster and university associates can run around and throw money and gifts however they see fit.
It doesn’t have to be the boosters plane. Thats how it would get done. I know your argument with cav is spot on. My argument is with NIL a booster can just make a mutual business contact Hes only dropping a favor that is a “rental” taken out of the high school NIL agreement in NY. It’s too easy and legal.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT