ADVERTISEMENT

Boogie Fland - Here comes a big one!

I think if he gets a consensus first round grade he's gone.
Going out on a pretty big limb there coach geezer. Was it the interview that he said he plans on being in the nba next year that gave you such a bold prediction?

No one knows until the season plays out. But as of today, its pretty clear that Mack is intending to be 1 and done.

How the 3-5 position minutes end up playing out is going to be fascinating, though.

I'd actually pencil in Malik for the most minutes of anyone at those positions, if he improves his defensive positioning, and footwork, to where he can effectively guard without fouling. If not, naturally, his minutes will suffer. Maybe bake in some games where he is strapped with foul trouble... Games where he isn't in foul trouble 30 ish minutes. Games where he is 20.

Ware and Mack will be right up there. Banks I think will push for some big minutes. And then it sounds like Sparks will forge a solid backup role for himself.

In a closely contested game, there will be 120 minutes available for those 3 spots.

Malik 26 minutes
Mack 24 minutes
Ware 23 minutes
Banks 18 minutes
Sparks 11 minutes
Walker 7 minutes
Gunn/Galloway 10 minutes total of playing a "3 guard" set.

Obviously injuries, one of these guys blowing up, one of the guards not named Xavier or Trey blowing up and pushing more 3 guard minutes, etc... and this could all change dramaticall

Gordon's season was the Sampson debacle where the entire season was in disarray after the self reported violations and some of the alleged drug use by players.

Vonleh played for Crean. That should tell you all you need to know, but in case you need more, his teammates were all mostly underclassmen with the exception of Sheehy after 6 dudes left who ended up playing professionally somewhere. Crean didn't even get them to the NIT that year and we declined the CBI invitation, mostly due to a lack of developed talent on the roster and the hit or miss recruiting that became his calling card. Other young guys on that team like Jurkin, Hollowell, Perea, Davis weren't around a year or two later.

Langford played for Ryan who was the worst coach in my memory on what may have been one of the most dysfunctional teams in my lifetime.

JHS at least helped the team improve from the previous year's results and provided a few bright spots like sweeping Purdue, despite our starting PG going down.

3 of the 4 played for coaches who are considered failures at IU and the 4th played for a guy who is in the process of putting more potential talent on the floor than we've seen in a while here.

You need elite talent plus guys who can play roles alongside elite talent. Hopefully Woody keeps building it and coaches them up.
I don't know if Bsmitty just likes to argue, doesn't like our current coach, or what, but he argues stuff endlessly and makes up so many scenarios it's ridiculous. We go from him complaining about the level of recruits we have (or don't have) to now worrying about us being a 1 and done factory, when we have exactly 1 of these guys committed. Woody has said consistently that we need to upgrade our talent level and we need to recruit with the best in the country and is going out and doing it. No one knows yet if LM, BF or DQ are all coming, or will be 1 and done, but he is upgrading the talent level on our roster and has shown no indication of a desire to be a 1 and done factory like UK or Duke. Never heard him say that's a goal, so why worry about it? Appreciate that the guy is doing what he said and his job.

Going out on a pretty big limb there coach geezer. Was it the interview that he said he plans on being in the nba next year that gave you such a bold prediction?
What's bold about that? If he doesn't shoot well or score efficiently his lack of athleticism is going to keep him out of the first round.

Actually, don't answer. I have more productive basketball conversations with my wife. And no, that's not an indictment on her either.

I don't know if Bsmitty just likes to argue, doesn't like our current coach, or what, but he argues stuff endlessly and makes up so many scenarios it's ridiculous. We go from him complaining about the level of recruits we have (or don't have) to now worrying about us being a 1 and done factory, when we have exactly 1 of these guys committed. Woody has said consistently that we need to upgrade our talent level and we need to recruit with the best in the country and is going out and doing it. No one knows yet if LM, BF or DQ are all coming, or will be 1 and done, but he is upgrading the talent level on our roster and has shown no indication of a desire to be a 1 and done factory like UK or Duke. Never heard him say that's a goal, so why worry about it? Appreciate that the guy is doing what he said and his job.
I am continually amazed that there are still posters that don’t have him blocked…

It’s just board discussion. Heck it could be a dream scenario and we land them all or it sets us back a few years from a roster turnover standpoint. To me this year is a big year to see what Woody can do with a young but very talented roster.

It’s just board discussion. Heck it could be a dream scenario and we land them all or it sets us back a few years from a roster turnover standpoint. To me this year is a big year to see what Woody can do with a young but very talented roster.
We are most likely going to start a freshman, 2 sophomores and 2 seniors (one of which is in his 6th season) which is not an overly young starting 5 these days.

I don't know if Bsmitty just likes to argue, doesn't like our current coach, or what, but he argues stuff endlessly and makes up so many scenarios it's ridiculous. We go from him complaining about the level of recruits we have (or don't have) to now worrying about us being a 1 and done factory, when we have exactly 1 of these guys committed.
To put it kindly, he's just not very bright.

Reactions: BusdriverE
I think some on here are selling short last season a bit.

The preseason top team in the BIG was a legit upward swing, which also placed the Hoosiers as a final four threat early on.

Injuries to JHS, Race, TJD, and X, four of the five starters, was unfortunate and who could have seen that shit coming?

Add in the regression of key bench piece in Geronimo and the only very slight improvement in Bates, and you have a whirlwind of obstacles the coaching staff and the guys playing injured had to overcome.

We are most likely going to start a freshman, 2 sophomores and 2 seniors (one of which is in his 6th season) which is not an overly young starting 5 these days.
3 guys that are seniors or juniors that will play. Galloway, X, Sparks
Next 6 are Soph and freshman
MM, MR, Ware,
Cupps, Gunn, Banks

UK insiders feel confident. IU insiders feel confident. This isn’t as done a deal as we think. Something going on. Might be back channel stuff trying to throw us off. Would be a dick move to announce on the day of HH if it isn’t IU.
Why am I NOT confident?

What in the hell is the matter with you people? The NCAA 10000% would step in front of a scenario where a kid who 2 hours earlier verballed to IU and was flown in on a private jet to attend IU's midnight madness. Fland isn't eligible to sign his letter of intent for another 2 weeks. This is as clear cut of an impermissible benefits violation as can be.

The NCAA is trying to take down Harbaugh for buying a prospective recruit a damn hamburger, what do you think they would do if they caught wind that a booster fronted a 6 figure charter rental?
Oh, we’d turn ourselves in before the ncaa even knows it.

The preseason top team in the BIG was a legit upward swing, which also placed the Hoosiers as a final four threat early on.

Injuries to JHS, Race, TJD, and X, four of the five starters, was unfortunate and who could have seen that shit coming?

Add in the regression of key bench piece in Geronimo and the only very slight improvement in Bates, and you have a whirlwind of obstacles the coaching staff and the guys playing injured had to overcome.
The last time IU had been a seed higher than 4 in the tournament was a decade ago. The program has only been a 4 seed or higher in the tournament FOUR times this century. It was a solid season even if it didn’t live up to expectations.

Stfu douche, you don’t even know me.
Everyone here knows you for an idiot. And insofar as douche is what one uses to cleanse, you'd rate as the object of and reason for its use. See you next Tuesday.

We have learned Woodson is not the answer.

Woodson isn’t a rookie coach dude. Woodson isn’t taking this team anywhere.

Woodson is not a college coach

Woodson needs to go! He is awful

Another bad hire by IU

Woodson isn’t the answer. This was so predictable when they hired him.

Just an awful athletic program

We will be very lucky not to finish dead
Last in conference

This.....

X gets hurt at Kansas. Lose 3 stragiht to fall to 1-4 in the B10....And then, bang...Win 8 if 9. Sweep Purdue. Finish 12-8, after starting 1-4. Without your starting PG----and key injuries to others; losing Race in Iowa game.

When you reflect on the season as a whole---You realize what a great fukin job Woodson did.

This.....

X gets hurt at Kansas. Lose 3 stragiht to fall to 1-4 in the B10....And then, bang...Win 8 if 9. Sweep Purdue. Finish 12-8, after starting 1-4. Without your starting PG----and key injuries to others; losing Race in Iowa game.

When you reflect on the season as a whole---You realize what a great fukin job Woodson did.
Yes!! I couldn't agree more!

This.....

X stating this off-season that he and TJD didn't practice leading up to the Xavier game in Nov, where they both still played fairly well, makes me believe the weight of injury situation is overlooked by some too.

Health of the back court this upcoming season is such a key aspect to this upcoming season.

My biggest critique of Woodson is it's too big of a gamble of not landing a grad transfer experienced ball handler to fill that last scholly once it was known that Newton was likely to be a non factor this season due to injury.

X stating this off-season that he and TJD didn't practice leading up to the Xavier game in Nov, where they both still played fairly well, makes me believe the weight of injury situation is overlooked by some too.

Health of the back court this upcoming season is such a key aspect to this upcoming season.

My biggest critique of Woodson is it's too big of a gamble of not landing a grad transfer experienced ball handler to fill that last scholly once it was known that Newton was likely to be a non factor this season due to injury.

An assumption on my part but it appears that CMW wanted to fill that last ship but couldn't find the right fit.

An assumption on my part but it appears that CMW wanted to fill that last ship but couldn't find the right fit.
And, I agree with holding it if there's no one you really like. We've already seen the value of having an available scholly in the spring, and makes even more sense when you have the portal now too. I hope the days of Tim Priller and Grant Gelons, are over and if we see guys like that, it's as preferred walk ons. Schollys are too valuable.

Last edited:
And he tried to fill it with multiple wing scorers...he went after Timberlake early on, then Ledlum and Knecht. He saw the need to, obviously. He even signed two lower profile guards late in the process. I haven't heard anything on what either are looking like, but the Air Force kid is intriguing.

Rob Cassidy (Rivals) told Dave Berry on Rivals, about 30 min ago, that he thinks it will be UK because "I feel like Kentucky has taken the lead.....the vibes feel like Kentucky". Whatever that means. But, wouldn't be surprised if Woodson can pull it off. So...he really doesn't know anything new. I guess he doesn't consider the CB picks yesterday to be vibes.

Give Fland's camp credit, they really put the lid on this over the past week.

Reactions: hookyIU1990
Rob Cassidy (Rivals) told Dave Berry on Rivals, about 30 min ago, that he thinks it will be UK because "I feel like Kentucky has taken the lead.....the vibes feel like Kentucky". Whatever that means. But, wouldn't be surprised if Woodson can pull it off. So...he really doesn't know anything new. I guess he doesn't consider the CB picks yesterday to be vibes.

There are signs both ways. I said it a couple weeks ago, and I feel more strongly about it today...Kentucky is willing and able to "do more" to get kids. And they have very deep rooted east coast connections.

Obviously, at times, there has been some smoke for IU. But I'll be very pleasantly surprised if he picks IU tomorrow. Kentucky ends up just making more sense. Hope I'm wrong. It would be another sign that Woody is elevating IU's profile and perception with top tier kids. Its already happening, we don't necessarily need more signs, but it would cement it.

Reactions: Fox2monk

Nothing new from Cassidy. Everything I've read from him for the last month has said he feels UK is "slightly ahead", and he basically admits he has no inside knowledge to point to that. Don't think he has a read on it with this one. It's UK vs IU for a PG... if you didn't have a dog in the fight, who would you pick?

And yet, most other "insiders" are saying the opposite.

Never tried to hide my disdain for "recruiting gurus" who charge for their professional insights. The same insights that can say one thing for months only to switch their predictions a minute before an announcement.

The gurus see fans as mice. They add nonsense, often contradictory, comments to keep the mice hitting the feeder bar. They are click bait mongers.

Anyone paying a "recruiting guru" should demand their money back and examine their life. You can hear about the commitments within seconds of an announcement without spending a dime.

Never tried to hide my disdain for "recruiting gurus" who charge for their professional insights. The same insights that can say one thing for months only to switch their predictions a minute before an announcement.

The gurus see fans as mice. They add nonsense, often contradictory, comments to keep the mice hitting the feeder bar. They are click bait mongers.

Anyone paying a "recruiting guru" should demand their money back and examine their life. You can hear about the commitments within seconds of an announcement without spending a dime.
But we need to know now!!!!!!!! 😆

And yet, most other "insiders" are saying the opposite.

True.

Depending on one's label of insider, seems pretty close. Though, not all insiders are created equal.

Boogie to IU: Richard Schnyderite, Jordan Harper, Jackson Collier, Andrew Barth, Rabjohns, & Trilly

Boogie to UK: Travis Branham, Andrew Sweeney, Kent Sterling (LOL), Travis Graf, David Sisk, & Rob Cassidy

Reactions: Victorbmyboy
I could. The company I work for might love to have Boogie as a spokesman for our products. And we might want to fly him somewhere to snap some pictures for our marketing efforts. We have some dealers relatively close to Bloomington...Bloomington airport is as good a place as any for these photos?!

And while I'm not going to do that, I pretty easily could pull all that together in a couple hours. And I'm not "affiliated" with IU at all.

Much more likely...any of the dozens and dozens of people he's been around in the AAU circles the last couple years.

The core point though...if Boogie wants to come to HH, he will, and he won't be paying for it.

I'm sooo worried about all this now though, that I hope he picks IU at 2, and stays home. DWS...
Have you ever read or heard any comments from Boogie and his parents regarding his recruitment and the schools they're interested in? They sound like very intelligent and thoughtful folks, to say the least. Does anyone truly believe they would get within a 1,000 miles of a pointless, potential recruiting violation? Why in the world would they risk it? It makes no sense.

Reactions: kkott
True.

Depending on one's label of insider, seems pretty close. Though, not all insiders are created equal.

Boogie to IU: Richard Schnyderite, Jordan Harper, Jackson Collier, Andrew Barth, Rabjohns, & Trilly

Boogie to UK: Travis Branham, Andrew Sweeney, Kent Sterling (LOL), Travis Graf, David Sisk, & Rob Cassidy
Most of the UK stuff is coming from one guy. They are all UK guys too.

Reactions: Pryght
This.....

And what this staff did in April/May with portal was pretty amazing.

There are signs both ways. I said it a couple weeks ago, and I feel more strongly about it today...Kentucky is willing and able to "do more" to get kids. And they have very deep rooted east coast connections.

Obviously, at times, there has been some smoke for IU. But I'll be very pleasantly surprised if he picks IU tomorrow. Kentucky ends up just making more sense. Hope I'm wrong. It would be another sign that Woody is elevating IU's profile and perception with top tier kids. Its already happening, we don't necessarily need more signs, but it would cement it.
Could be an absolute log jam at UK , at his position. I'm sure he's aware of this. Plus Woodsons offense, the success of JHS, and the strong influence of Melo. Would not be one but surprised if Boogie announced IU

Cassidy has been consistently saying that all along.

Reactions: hookyIU1990
Could be an absolute log jam at UK , at his position. I'm sure he's aware of this. Plus Woodsons offense, the success of JHS, and the strong influence of Melo. Would not be one but surprised if Boogie announced IU
don't want to say guaranteed starting position, but with X leaving, and all due respect to Cupps, there is substantial, immediate playing time awaiting in Btown. Meanwhile Cal has seen 5 star, OAD hopefuls riding the bench by frosh mid season and transferring out in May. ( the only outlier in that statement is Lander, but ....let's just forget that one. Never seen a 5 star turn into a 2 star D2 kid so quickly).

• Haha
Reactions: UKortho
If he chooses IU, I think this will be the reason why.

Nothing new from Cassidy. Everything I've read from him for the last month has said he feels UK is "slightly ahead", and he basically admits he has no inside knowledge to point to that. Don't think he has a read on it with this one. It's UK vs IU for a PG... if you didn't have a dog in the fight, who would you pick?
What talent has Cal actually developed? Has a coach ever done less with more? (Crean?)How many coaches would have had 3+ championships in the last 10 years with the talent flowing through Lexington? I think K or slick Rick would probably have 5-7.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT