ADVERTISEMENT

Boeing 737 Max: The Flying Coffin

If you knew that one of your coworkers could cause you to be banned from your field for life if you did something, would that not be enough incentive to stop you from doing it?
All she has to do is clue in a named partner. He or she can then make sure the info is handled at only the highest levels.

I understand how easy it would be to get around. I'm asking if the possible downsides would be enough to stay your hand?
Me, I'd work for another firm. You can't tell me this firm made her the best possible offer without knowing what she would deliver.

Me, I'd work for another firm. You can't tell me this firm made her the best possible offer without knowing what she would deliver.
Just to harp on the point, because you slipped away from the location I was trying to steer you, I wasn't asking what you would do if you were a lawyer. I was asking what you would do in your own profession. If the consequences of misbehavior were the potential loss of your ability to do your job for the rest of your life, would that not constrain you from engaging in said misbehavior?

Just to harp on the point, because you slipped away from the location I was trying to steer you, I wasn't asking what you would do if you were a lawyer. I was asking what you would do in your own profession. If the consequences of misbehavior were the potential loss of your ability to do your job for the rest of your life, would that not constrain you from engaging in said misbehavior?
I'd like to think my own sense of right and wrong would be sufficient. You know, that pesky ethics thing. Hard for a lawyer to grasp, I suspect. 😉

@UncleMark You might also be interested to know that the Rules of Professional Conduct have special conflict of interest rules for government lawyers. In short, they allow government lawyers to move to private firms that include clients they may have previously been adverse to, so long as they don't divulge any government confidential information, and the firm insulates them from any future representation.

(The lawyers on here might cringe and say it's more complicated than that, but I'm just giving the broad strokes.)

The general purpose behind the special rules is that we don't want to discourage qualified lawyers from public service, which is what would happen if the ethics implications of government work were too onerous.

plenty of private firms that don't represent a conflict of interest for said lawyers.

if govt is allowed to be bought, 100% chance it will be.

this is just another way it gets bought.

legalized corruption.

and when the system itself is corrupt, as ours is, the non corrupt have no place in it, and at that point represent the enemy.

Reactions: sglowrider

the problem with our current system of govt for sale, is that ethical and moral behavior is the risk to one's career, and misbehavior, or the willingness of, is a plus, if not a requirement.

in the land of the corrupt, the non corrupt are not welcome, and become the enemy.

it's not personal, it's just business.

Reactions: 76-1
The FAA has a different set of rules for upgrading an existing design and a new design. If this were the Boing 7000, the FAA would have been far more involved and perhaps caught issues. But by tweaking the 737, a very ubiquitous aircraft, Boeing escaped a lot of oversight. Of course Boeing knew that. I don't know there is a good answer. We probably don't want every modification to result in reexamining everything from the ground up. But clearly trusting isn't working either.

The FAA has a different set of rules for upgrading an existing design and a new design. If this were the Boing 7000, the FAA would have been far more involved and perhaps caught issues. But by tweaking the 737, a very ubiquitous aircraft, Boeing escaped a lot of oversight. Of course Boeing knew that. I don't know there is a good answer. We probably don't want every modification to result in reexamining everything from the ground up. But clearly trusting isn't working either.
Exactly

Each round of plane re-design seemingly uses more and more technology, largely intended to reduce the rate of pilot error and requiring fewer decisions. In principle this is a good thing, since pilot error is still the biggest contributor to crashes. But the software development and testing certainly needs to be more highly scrutinized, along with any hardware changes that go along with them. I wonder whether the software is farmed out, or if Boing does everything internally. If they do everything themselves, a full review ought to go to another tech company, plus any FAA computer geeks, assuming they have some.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT