ADVERTISEMENT

Bobby Hurley and Chris Collins

TR32

All-American
Nov 20, 2009
It seems to me that Chris Collins has done a superb job at Northwestern. He has created excitement and made them believe. He has coached them well fundamentally, especially defensively. He has improved recruiting and brought on the most success in the history of the school.

One has to imagine that Collins, Capel, and perhaps Brad Stevens would be in line for the future Duke job.

Hurley, like Collins, comes from a coaching pedigree and did an excellent job resurrecting Buffalo's basketball program. He is still in rebuilding mode at ASU, but I suspect he will keep making improvements there. Although a few years out, I have to think Hurley will look like a good candidate for other jobs in a few years.

If Collins starts really landing some recruits, I think he could have a chance to really put Northwestern in high places. After all, Chicago is truly a sleeping giant when it comes to basketball, and there are endless high schools in the greater metro area to draw from locally. Add in the high academic reputation, and one could potentially see Northwestern becoming a bit like Duke.

I think Collins' future will very much depend on when K retires. If it is in about 2 years, I think Collins could be the guy. If it isn't for another 4-5, I think Collins stays at Northwestern and starts becoming a perennial player in the top of the Big Ten.

Hurley, if he can get it turned around, should come back East. Maybe somewhere like Pitt or Temple eventually.

Don't see him leaving Northwestern yet. Plus I can't remember a coach leaving a school for another in the same conference. Good young coach but still needs to prove more to me be ready for Duke or Indiana. I still think Indiana is waiting on a coach either Donovan, Stevens, or Alford. I think if they strike out they go after either Miller or Marshall, Mack. I know the board is not big on Alford but comments today by Glass make me think its Alford...

Interesting Stats

Billy Donovan 467–186 (.715) 2 titles 4 final fours 6 sec championships

Brad Stevens 166–49 (.772) 2 final fours 3 Horizon Championships

Steve Alford 557–278 (.667 3 sweet sixteens 2 Big Ten tournament championships 4 MTW Championships 1 PAC 10 tournament championship

Archie Miller 140–62 (.693) 1 elite eight 2 Atlantic Ten Championships

Greg Marshall 454–172 (.725) 6 Big South Championships 7 Big South Tournament Championships, Nit Championship 5 MVC Championships 2 MVC Tournament Championships

Comparison Crean 356–231 (.606) Davis 335–219 (.605) Sampson
546–308 (.639) and of course coach Knight 902–371 (.709

I think Collins is clearly a solid coach and would be happy to see him at IU. Still, Collins has 1 three star recruit coming in this year so far. I think Collins has his team back next year so maybe that is the reason. They were 10-8 in the conference during a year when the conference was not strong. Maybe they can have a better season next year but they may be what they are. Wisconsin had most everybody back this year and really aren't any better. I'm sold on collins but not so much on him making NW a perennial near the top of conference team. They were a silly foul away from possibly losing vs Bryce Drew whom I'm equally impressed with.

It seems to me that Chris Collins has done a superb job at Northwestern. He has created excitement and made them believe. He has coached them well fundamentally, especially defensively. He has improved recruiting and brought on the most success in the history of the school.

One has to imagine that Collins, Capel, and perhaps Brad Stevens would be in line for the future Duke job.

Hurley, like Collins, comes from a coaching pedigree and did an excellent job resurrecting Buffalo's basketball program. He is still in rebuilding mode at ASU, but I suspect he will keep making improvements there. Although a few years out, I have to think Hurley will look like a good candidate for other jobs in a few years.

If Collins starts really landing some recruits, I think he could have a chance to really put Northwestern in high places. After all, Chicago is truly a sleeping giant when it comes to basketball, and there are endless high schools in the greater metro area to draw from locally. Add in the high academic reputation, and one could potentially see Northwestern becoming a bit like Duke.

I think Collins' future will very much depend on when K retires. If it is in about 2 years, I think Collins could be the guy. If it isn't for another 4-5, I think Collins stays at Northwestern and starts becoming a perennial player in the top of the Big Ten.

Hurley, if he can get it turned around, should come back East. Maybe somewhere like Pitt or Temple eventually.
I am re-reading your post and can't figure out how this is about IU's current coaching search. Not to be a hard ass but are you on the right forum? I don't care what Bobby Hurley does and Collins will coach at two schools...Northwestern and maybe Duke if/when offered.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT