ADVERTISEMENT

Bizarre story of 70s-80s era Republicans: Homosexual cabal controlling Ronald Reagan?

A

anon_6hv78pr714xta

The story (it's long):

My hunch would be that the rumors of Reagan's and Kemp's homosexuality were false. (Although I don't really care if they were, other than if it showed signs of extreme hypocrisy.) In fact, maybe the reason most of these things were not published at the time was because they were unsupported by then-journalistic standards. So why report it now? To show just how crazy some conspiracy theories can be at the highest level of politics? As a historical reminder of how bad it was for gay people not so long ago?

Some of these excerpts are really amazing, though:

"Over the course of the following week, McCloskey typed up everything he knew about the intrigues concerning the presumptive Republican presidential nominee — the 1967 “homosexual ring” scandal in Sacramento, the repeated sexual importuning of Bill Best by various Reagan aides, Bob Livingston’s dramatic escape from a dread homosexual hit squad — into a two-part, 13-page, 33-point confidential memorandum.

The crux of the document was encapsulated in point 32: “Bill [Best] expressed extreme concern about the danger of a former Hollywood actor in fact being the ‘Manchurian candidate’ and spoke at length on the nature of the Hollywood movie industry and the fact that an actor is in the hands and under the manipulation of studios, producers, directors, etc., and that he must carry out orders in order to survive. He felt that Reagan had been manipulated all of his life, and that he was essentially ‘in bondage’ to those around him.” Ronald Reagan as the ventriloquized pawn of shadowy and sinister forces — his “Kitchen Cabinet” of California millionaires, his wife Nancy, Nancy’s astrologers, the Mafia — has long been a motif in assessments of the 40th president, and what McCloskey’s contribution to the genre might have lacked in plausibility, it more than made up for with originality. Controlling Reagan in this scenario was a “network” of homosexuals who “shared an almost religious zeal against communism and [on] behalf of right-wing causes.”

"Best began calling him frantically to report that “homosexual people were very close to Reagan’s campaign leadership,” that they were “running” Reagan’s campaign, and that “the situation is absolutely out of control.” It was not until a boozy lunch with a man claiming to have been a “long time Reagan associate,” however, that Best found what he believed to be the “smoking gun” proving that Reagan was controlled by homosexuals. “Bill, you don’t understand the problem,” the man told Best. “I once engaged in a homosexual act with Reagan.”

As for Kemp, McCloskey had never known what to make of the rumors surrounding his colleague. “The big joke on Capitol Hill,” he told me in an interview at his home outside Sacramento in 2019, “was that the most dangerous position in pro football is to be Jack Kemp’s center.” After hearing from Best, McCloskey agreed that a Kemp nomination would revive the 1967 “Scandal in Sacramento,” possibly leading to revelations about the other homosexuals in Reagan’s orbit and thereby imperiling the GOP ticket."

I'm not really sure what to make of all that, other to say it's amazing how times have really changed. I know they mentioned the Madison Cawthorn stuff, but for the most part I'd think having someone who is gay in your administration would be something a POTUS would lift up.

It's crazy to think how different that view was 40-50ish years ago.

Reactions: anon_6hv78pr714xta
I'm not really sure what to make of all that, other to say it's amazing how times have really changed. I know they mentioned the Madison Cawthorn stuff, but for the most part I'd think having someone who is gay in your administration would be something a POTUS would lift up.

It's crazy to think how different that view was 40-50ish years ago.
True, although the security concerns were real issues back then. Not because gay people are inherenlty more untrustworthy, but instead because it was well known that American culture would, for lack of a better term, most likely cancel an outed homosexual--family, friends, jobs, etc. People--including many gay people--thought it shameful. Society has progressed in a great way, in my mind, on all those scores.

Reactions: vesuvius13
The story (it's long):

My hunch would be that the rumors of Reagan's and Kemp's homosexuality were false. (Although I don't really care if they were, other than if it showed signs of extreme hypocrisy.) In fact, maybe the reason most of these things were not published at the time was because they were unsupported by then-journalistic standards. So why report it now? To show just how crazy some conspiracy theories can be at the highest level of politics? As a historical reminder of how bad it was for gay people not so long ago?

Some of these excerpts are really amazing, though:

"Over the course of the following week, McCloskey typed up everything he knew about the intrigues concerning the presumptive Republican presidential nominee — the 1967 “homosexual ring” scandal in Sacramento, the repeated sexual importuning of Bill Best by various Reagan aides, Bob Livingston’s dramatic escape from a dread homosexual hit squad — into a two-part, 13-page, 33-point confidential memorandum.

The crux of the document was encapsulated in point 32: “Bill [Best] expressed extreme concern about the danger of a former Hollywood actor in fact being the ‘Manchurian candidate’ and spoke at length on the nature of the Hollywood movie industry and the fact that an actor is in the hands and under the manipulation of studios, producers, directors, etc., and that he must carry out orders in order to survive. He felt that Reagan had been manipulated all of his life, and that he was essentially ‘in bondage’ to those around him.” Ronald Reagan as the ventriloquized pawn of shadowy and sinister forces — his “Kitchen Cabinet” of California millionaires, his wife Nancy, Nancy’s astrologers, the Mafia — has long been a motif in assessments of the 40th president, and what McCloskey’s contribution to the genre might have lacked in plausibility, it more than made up for with originality. Controlling Reagan in this scenario was a “network” of homosexuals who “shared an almost religious zeal against communism and [on] behalf of right-wing causes.”

"Best began calling him frantically to report that “homosexual people were very close to Reagan’s campaign leadership,” that they were “running” Reagan’s campaign, and that “the situation is absolutely out of control.” It was not until a boozy lunch with a man claiming to have been a “long time Reagan associate,” however, that Best found what he believed to be the “smoking gun” proving that Reagan was controlled by homosexuals. “Bill, you don’t understand the problem,” the man told Best. “I once engaged in a homosexual act with Reagan.”

As for Kemp, McCloskey had never known what to make of the rumors surrounding his colleague. “The big joke on Capitol Hill,” he told me in an interview at his home outside Sacramento in 2019, “was that the most dangerous position in pro football is to be Jack Kemp’s center.” After hearing from Best, McCloskey agreed that a Kemp nomination would revive the 1967 “Scandal in Sacramento,” possibly leading to revelations about the other homosexuals in Reagan’s orbit and thereby imperiling the GOP ticket."
That was a major talking point against Reagan back then - that he was only a puppet. SNL used to have a skit about it that was pretty funny, if not totally bogus.

Watching Reagan speak extemporaneously and in debate, I highly doubt that's the case. And, going back earlier and watching his speeches from the 60s, it's clear he was principled then and kept those conservative principles throughout his life.

He often talked about, and against both Hollywood liberalism and McCarthyism (which looks tame next to today's Democrat party's canceling philosophy).

And, as you note, how hypocritical to bring it up now anyway.

I didn't read the article, so I'm going off your summation. Reagan was also accused of being anti-homosexual, as are all Republicans.

Last edited:
That was a major talking point against Reagan back then - that he was only a puppet. SNL used to have a skit about it that was pretty funny, if not totally bogus.

Watching Reagan speak extemporaneously and in debate, I highly doubt that's the case. And, going back earlier and watching his speeches from the 60s, it's clear he was a principled then and kept those conservative principles throughout his life.

He often talked about, and against both Hollywood liberalism and McCarthyism (which looks tame next to today's Democrat party's canceling philosophy).

And, as you note, how hypocritical to bring it up now anyway.

I didn't read the article, so I'm going off your summation. Reagan was also accused of being anti-homosexual, as are all Republicans.
"McCarthyism (which looks tame next to today's Democrat party's canceling philosophy).
I realize this is just a combination of trolling and editorializing, but I wonder if you really believe it? I think you'd struggle to name a victim of "wokeness" (whatever the hell that is) who suffered as much career destruction as say the Dixie Chicks, much less the lives that were shattered (including suicides) that resulted from McCarthyism...

I trust you have a specific "victim" in mind? I'd really be interested in you revealing their name...

I'd also be interested in your source for the claim that Regan was accused of being anti-homosexual. Pretty sure he was life long friends with people like Rock Hudson, Cary Grant, among actors and Roy Cohn and JE Hoover who all fit in the category of Republican and gay...

The long-running allegation that Reagan was anti-gay seems to generally come from his administration's slow response to the 80s AIDs epidemic. From the time the first cases were described by the CDC, it took over 5 years for him to mention it in any speech. It's hard to say how much of that was from him vs. from some of his more outspoken hires, such as Pat Buchanan, who served as the White House Communications Director from February 1985 to March 1987. Buchanan of course called AIDS part of God's plan to take care of the wicked, “exacting an awful retribution against gay men”.

In the early days, they even treated AIDs like some frat boy joke.

The long-running allegation that Reagan was anti-gay seems to generally come from his administration's slow response to the 80s AIDs epidemic. From the time the first cases were described by the CDC, it took over 5 years for him to mention it in any speech. It's hard to say how much of that was from him vs. from some of his more outspoken hires, such as Pat Buchanan, who served as the White House Communications Director from February 1985 to March 1987. Buchanan of course called AIDS part of God's plan to take care of the wicked, “exacting an awful retribution against gay men”.

Well, you need to tell Cosmic - he doesn't believe Reagan was accused of being anti-gay.

Of course, he's clueless about most things.

Reactions: 76-1 and Crayfish57
"McCarthyism (which looks tame next to today's Democrat party's canceling philosophy).
I realize this is just a combination of trolling and editorializing, but I wonder if you really believe it? I think you'd struggle to name a victim of "wokeness" (whatever the hell that is) who suffered as much career destruction as say the Dixie Chicks, much less the lives that were shattered (including suicides) that resulted from McCarthyism...

I trust you have a specific "victim" in mind? I'd really be interested in you revealing their name...

I'd also be interested in your source for the claim that Regan was accused of being anti-homosexual. Pretty sure he was life long friends with people like Rock Hudson, Cary Grant, among actors and Roy Cohn and JE Hoover who all fit in the category of Republican and gay...

You dumbasses canceled Garrison Keillor and Senator Saturday Night Live Diaper.

The anti-GOP “err’body is a racist women hater” crap you people spewed is every bit as destructive as McCarthyism. The worst part is the left’s comprehensive lack of self-awareness about how they are McCarthy.2, and makes Goebbels look like a rookie.

****ing A I believe it.

What is driving the transmission frequency among the gay population in Monkeypox and is that similar to HIV back in the 80s? I don't recall the science behind it, but it's definitely interesting that such a small population is/was so disproportionately affected.

What is driving the transmission frequency among the gay population in Monkeypox and is that similar to HIV back in the 80s? I don't recall the science behind it, but it's definitely interesting that such a small population is/was so disproportionately affected.

It requires close contact to transmit and it appears a gay festival is involved as a major superspreader event.

I take Reagan at his word when he said the Democratic Party left him.

He also railed against Marxist labor union organizers, whom he opposed as president of the Screen Actors Guild.

Reactions: DANC
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT